Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2016 NBA Finals?
Atlanta Hawks
0
0%
Cleveland Cavaliers
11.76%
Golden State Warriors
54.90%
Houston Rockets
1.96%
Los Angeles Clippers
0
0%
Memphis Grizzlies
0
0%
Oklahoma City Thunder
1.96%
San Antonio Spurs
19.61%
Other (Please specify!)
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Old 12-02-15, 01:33 PM
  #226  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,956
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

About 1/4-1/5th of the way through the season, for the first time in a long time, the disparity between the eastern conference and western conference seems to be gone. While most teams haven't played a lot of non-conference games, the east seems to be holding its own. And if the playoffs started now, a team with a losing record would make it in the west, whereas a team with a winning record in the east would be out. Is that just an illusion, or has the east caught up?
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 01:41 PM
  #227  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Well I guess one good thing is nobody can really accuse Kobe of just caring about stats. At this rate every career stat based on average is going to dive, dive, dive! Would be far better for him to limit minutes, keeping the games played total going up, and cherry pick scoring opportunities.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 02:01 PM
  #228  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,956
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Well I guess one good thing is nobody can really accuse Kobe of just caring about stats. At this rate every career stat based on average is going to dive, dive, dive! Would be far better for him to limit minutes, keeping the games played total going up, and cherry pick scoring opportunities.
except, it's always seemed like Kobe has cared about one stat and one stat only: points per game.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 02:02 PM
  #229  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,662
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
except, it's always seemed like Kobe has cared about one stat and one stat only: points per game.
Doesn't sound like jacking up more shots is going to help that either.
davidh777 is online now  
Old 12-02-15, 02:08 PM
  #230  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,956
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Doesn't sound like jacking up more shots is going to help that either.
well, yeah, but it helps more than not jacking up shots. He just needs to jack up more!
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 02:26 PM
  #231  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
except, it's always seemed like Kobe has cared about one stat and one stat only: points per game.
Got to disagree with you there.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 02:27 PM
  #232  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,477
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Well Jordan was just battling age and rust, whereas Kobe is coming off 3 straight season ending injuries. It's more dumbfounding to me how everyone is somehow ok with it, if not for the reason I mentioned before where the Lakers brass (and Kobe himself) just doesn't care in lieu of tanking and everyone on the team knows it. Otherwise surely no one can be dumb enough to think Kobe jacking up more 3's then even during his prime is ok, right?

Although thinking back before the original achilles tear, Kobe was actually playing extremely well so its crazy how much of a drop off there's been.
I don't know how Lakers fans can be happy with this display either. He is shooting 30% overall and a pathetic 20% from 3.

And I can see from some highlights that their young players basically become disinterested after passing the ball to Bryant and watching him chuck up another horrible shot.

He is having one of the worst statistical seasons for a starting NBA player ever.

What would be even funnier is if the Lakers miss out on a lotto pick and have to give it over to the Sixers.

Not mentioned here but Sixers have a higher chance (odds wise) of getting a lotto pick since they have the option to swap with the Kings 1st rounder (only protected from picks 11-30).
sleepyhead55 is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 03:07 PM
  #233  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,956
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Got to disagree with you there.
oh, he cares about winning too. But for all the talk about his desire to win, the reality is that he doesn't seem happy if the Lakers win and he score 4 points. He wants to win, badly, I won't question that. But he wants to win on his terms, with him carrying the team. That always seemed obvious to me.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 03:42 PM
  #234  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,662
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
oh, he cares about winning too. But for all the talk about his desire to win, the reality is that he doesn't seem happy if the Lakers win and he score 4 points. He wants to win, badly, I won't question that. But he wants to win on his terms, with him carrying the team. That always seemed obvious to me.
Well, and you didn't say that stats were the only thing he cares about, just that the only stat he cares about is PPG. Do we think he'd focus on getting his career APG above 5.0? Probably not.
davidh777 is online now  
Old 12-02-15, 03:44 PM
  #235  
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,359
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread


HN is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 03:55 PM
  #236  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
He is having one of the worst statistical seasons for a starting NBA player ever.
At this rate it might be one of the worst ever period. Even most bench players get less and less playing time if they just become chuckers that miss far too often.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 03:58 PM
  #237  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
But for all the talk about his desire to win, the reality is that he doesn't seem happy if the Lakers win and he score 4 points. He wants to win, badly, I won't question that.
In all reality, how does that happen (scoring only 4 pts and they win) without it being a fluke. Maybe many will disagree, but it seemed that is his prime he could have always led the league if he wanted to instead of just two seasons. Me, Myself, and Iverson he was not.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 04:12 PM
  #238  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,956
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
In all reality, how does that happen (scoring only 4 pts and they win) without it being a fluke. Maybe many will disagree, but it seemed that is his prime he could have always led the league if he wanted to instead of just two seasons. Me, Myself, and Iverson he was not.
I disagree. I don't think he was much different than Iverson, certainly not less selfish. He played on many talented teams where they could certainly win in spite of him, not because of him. He never seemed all that interested in winning if it meant him winning as second fiddle. He and Shaq could have dominated for years, but he clearly wanted to lose over win and be second fiddle.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 04:25 PM
  #239  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I disagree.
I figured as much.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 05:32 PM
  #240  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,513
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I disagree. I don't think he was much different than Iverson, certainly not less selfish. He played on many talented teams where they could certainly win in spite of him, not because of him. He never seemed all that interested in winning if it meant him winning as second fiddle. He and Shaq could have dominated for years, but he clearly wanted to lose over win and be second fiddle.
You really think the teams won in spite of him? I get that his ego got in the way a bunch of times, but the Shaq thing was just as much on Shaq not wanting to play second fiddle either (you can argue Shaq was fine going to Miami, but he was extra motivated to get in better shape). It's not like he intentionally sabotaged potential trades or whatever so he could jack up more shots.

I'm not sure I'd call Iverson selfish either. His main talent was scoring, if he wasn't scoring then what good was he to the team? He wasn't a stat-chaser like a Marbury or Ricky Davis.

One thing I'm still not sure of is whether Byron Scott is really this dumb and/or stubborn, or if he's being told to play Kobe no matter what by Jim Buss or something. If it's the former, he needs to be fired (well, after they tank) because there's no flow in the offense at all, which is either his fault because he doesn't draw up plays, or his fault because he doesn't enforce anyone running his plays.
fujishig is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 05:55 PM
  #241  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm not sure I'd call Iverson selfish either. His main talent was scoring, if he wasn't scoring then what good was he to the team? He wasn't a stat-chaser like a Marbury or Ricky Davis.
Got to disagree with you as well. Iverson was a textbook chucker that often hurt is team with his selfishness. There is a difference between frequently taking over to get a win (see Jordan, Lebron, and IMO Kobe) and just selfish chucking.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 06:07 PM
  #242  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,871
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

I read a report from USA Today that Byron Scott won't be fired midseason and will likely get 1 more year. 3 of the 4 years of his deal are guaranteed.

That Lakers only have $23M on the books for payroll next season. With Kobe leaving and the team starting over, I think it's likely LA will be an attractive destination for some veterans next summer.
DJariya is online now  
Old 12-02-15, 06:35 PM
  #243  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
About 1/4-1/5th of the way through the season, for the first time in a long time, the disparity between the eastern conference and western conference seems to be gone. While most teams haven't played a lot of non-conference games, the east seems to be holding its own. And if the playoffs started now, a team with a losing record would make it in the west, whereas a team with a winning record in the east would be out. Is that just an illusion, or has the east caught up?
Going back to this rather then talking about Kobe all the time, as much as LurkerDan loves him...

I think it's an illusion, and we'll see the West even out over time as some of the better teams get their shit together like the Rockets and Clippers. It depends on how you look at it though, they caught up as far as more East teams being respectable opposed to terrible (like the Knicks, Magic, or Hornets versus last season) but i'm not sure how much changes at the top of each conference. Despite the records, does anyone consider Indiana, Chicago, or Miami as contenders over the top 3 or 4 teams in the West?
fumanstan is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 07:40 PM
  #244  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,513
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

I don't even consider them contenders against the Cavs. What are the Vegas odds that the Cavs are making the Finals, it's gotta be sky high. And the Pacers are only a game behind them, but it doesn't matter.

But yeah, record-wise it's so early in the season. The Rockets at 7-11, and even the Pelicans at 4-14 seem like anomalies (though the Pelicans may miss the playoffs anyway). The Clips are in a funk but barring injury should be fine. You never can tell, but I don't see the kind of "fall off the cliff" kind of disparity between last year and this year for the talent involved (except for Kobe).
fujishig is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 08:13 PM
  #245  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,329
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Got to disagree with you as well. Iverson was a textbook chucker that often hurt is team with his selfishness. There is a difference between frequently taking over to get a win (see Jordan, Lebron, and IMO Kobe) and just selfish chucking.
Exactly. Iverson was a better version of Melo. He killed the offense by holding the ball for 20 seconds out of the 24 shot clock. His FG % was always mediocre. That's why he never won and Denver actually regressed when he was paired with Melo, proving that even when paired with another superstar, Iverson couldn't win a title.
Red Hood is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 08:30 PM
  #246  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Lakers won
fumanstan is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 08:31 PM
  #247  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,956
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
You really think the teams won in spite of him? I get that his ego got in the way a bunch of times, but the Shaq thing was just as much on Shaq not wanting to play second fiddle either (you can argue Shaq was fine going to Miami, but he was extra motivated to get in better shape).
No, I don't think in general his teams won in spite of him. I hate the man but I'm not an idiot. If you reread the back and forth, I was talking specifically about the hypothetical game where he scores only 4 points. hdnmickey said "In all reality, how does that happen (scoring only 4 pts and they win) without it being a fluke", and I was responding to his "how does that happen" comment. Many of his teams were very good, he could certainly have a terrible game and still win, when the team had Gasol and the rest of the gang.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 08:35 PM
  #248  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,956
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Exactly. Iverson was a better version of Melo. He killed the offense by holding the ball for 20 seconds out of the 24 shot clock. His FG % was always mediocre. That's why he never won and Denver actually regressed when he was paired with Melo, proving that even when paired with another superstar, Iverson couldn't win a title.
Iverson carried a team to the Finals. For a dude under 6' tall, that's pretty good.

FWIW, I also disagree with you re Melo. There are definitely things I don't like about his game, but he's definitely better than many give him credit for.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 09:33 PM
  #249  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
If you reread the back and forth, I was talking specifically about the hypothetical game where he scores only 4 points. hdnmickey said "In all reality, how does that happen (scoring only 4 pts and they win) without it being a fluke", and I was responding to his "how does that happen" comment. Many of his teams were very good, he could certainly have a terrible game and still win, when the team had Gasol and the rest of the gang.
But still a fluke because the team doesn't get far with Kobe scoring 4 pts on a regular basis.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 12-02-15 at 11:13 PM.
hdnmickey is offline  
Old 12-02-15, 09:36 PM
  #250  
DVD Talk Legend
 
hdnmickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cygnus
Posts: 12,524
Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Exactly. Iverson was a better version of Melo. He killed the offense by holding the ball for 20 seconds out of the 24 shot clock. His FG % was always mediocre. That's why he never won and Denver actually regressed when he was paired with Melo, proving that even when paired with another superstar, Iverson couldn't win a title.
A much better version of Melo. As much as I think he was just a chucker, he was good at what he did when healthy. Kinda sad for the fans of his teams that he was so fragile.
hdnmickey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.