Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy Football Talk 2015

Old 07-20-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fantasy Football Talk 2015

Getting this year's thread started. After expanding to four leagues last year, I've added a fifth (here at DVDTalk). All are draft leagues, but I should try a free auction league just to have the experience. And I believe all will be redraft. One has had limited keepers in the past, but the last few years our number of teams has fluctuated so we don't do keepers in that scenario.
Old 07-30-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2015

Well, I guess I can stop checking iTunes for new episodes of Fantasy Underground. Christopher Harris has apparently started his own site called HarrisFootball dot com. He's going to be doing a daily podcast, which is a good thing, though that sounds like a challenge to keep up with. I dropped the CBS fantasy podcast last year because of time.

I like Harris. I guess he got tired of the corporate BS.
Old 07-30-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think I may join a 6th league this year. I don't think this is going to be a very good year for me though. I have a lot of things going on at work right now so my research time is going to be very limited.
Old 08-01-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm trying to decide between selecting Kelvin Benjamin or Jordan Matthews as a keeper. I think that they're pretty close enough that it could be a coin flip kind of thing. Benjamin has a slightly higher ADP but the story about him reporting overweight and double hammy injuries kind of worries. What do you guys think? Are you trying to target or avoid either of these guys in your drafts? There isn't any draft picks associated with keeping either, we just select 3 keepers and then draft.
Old 08-01-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay View Post
I'm trying to decide between selecting Kelvin Benjamin or Jordan Matthews as a keeper. I think that they're pretty close enough that it could be a coin flip kind of thing. Benjamin has a slightly higher ADP but the story about him reporting overweight and double hammy injuries kind of worries. What do you guys think? Are you trying to target or avoid either of these guys in your drafts? There isn't any draft picks associated with keeping either, we just select 3 keepers and then draft.
I would keep Jordan Matthews. I have more faith in the Eagles offense. Chip Kelly is an offensive guru.
Old 08-02-15, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have my draft set for September 4th. I have started researching now for it.
Old 08-03-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My drafts are... sooner than that. Seems like there's not really a consensus top 1 or even top 3 pick this time, barring individual preferences.
Old 08-04-15, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay View Post
My instinct was Benjamin based on track record, but I didn't realize Matthews scored eight TDs last year, and the opportunities this year in that offense are pretty compelling. I haven't started my research yet or heard about Benjamin's issues, but I'd lean Matthews as of now.
Old 08-07-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just had a chance to look at ADP... why is Megatron so far down the list of WRs? I realize a lot of young WRs have been awesome, but man he's like WR 6 or 7.
Old 08-07-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Just had a chance to look at ADP... why is Megatron so far down the list of WRs? I realize a lot of young WRs have been awesome, but man he's like WR 6 or 7.
Age. Plenty of guys younger that put up better stats.
Old 08-07-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

I've got 3rd pick in my PPR work league. I'm considering not going RB, but then I feel like if I don't, I'll be screwed.
Old 08-07-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got first and feel the same way. I'd have rather been near the bottom of the 1st this year and go QB or WR/RB in 1-2.
Old 08-07-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I've got 3rd pick in my PPR work league. I'm considering not going RB, but then I feel like if I don't, I'll be screwed.
How many teams?
Old 08-07-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Age. Plenty of guys younger that put up better stats.
And related to that, injuries. He still puts up good per-game stats, but missed three games last year and two the year before.
Old 08-07-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
How many teams?
10 teams.

Here's the thing. I took over commish duties 2 years ago. I changed scoring from 1 PPR to .5. It was making WRs completely dominant and the league was lopsided. I've been petitioned to change it back. If I do end up changing it, I'm almost certainly going WR in that spot. At .5, I will go with a RB, probably one that catches the ball frequently. Bell is intriguing, but I don't want to have a guy sitting 2 full weeks.
Old 08-08-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I'm not crazy about 1 PPR. Really skews toward WR. My dynasty-auction league voted it into effect for this year at last year's auction. I would have preferred .5 PPR. So I'm proposing for next year going to a super-flex to help prop up QB value. We're 10 teams with large rosters also so there's plenty of starting QBs out there.

In my other league, where you can keep 3 players (at a 3-round penalty from drafted the previous year) things set up pretty well for me. Get to keep CJ Anderson (6th or 7th round), L. Miller (6th or 7th), and Hyde (8th). I drew 7th draft position (out of 10). Charles, Lacy, AP, and Lynch are back into the pot, so since I'm set at RB, should be able to get a top WR, Rodgers, or Gronk with the first pick and there's likely 2 spots with 2 teams with keepers (Luck, Bell) already locked out in between when I come around for the swing pick. Plus I also have Russell as a 7th round keeper that I might be able to swing before the draft to move up in another round or 2.

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-08-15 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I've got first and feel the same way. I'd have rather been near the bottom of the 1st this year and go QB or WR/RB in 1-2.
Me as well in one league. First pick in a standard PPR ugh. I am going to see if someone will trade for it. 5 or 6 is where I like to be.
Old 08-10-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm lobbying for a change in our league that awards six-point passing TDs. It was a brand-new league last year, and I don't think any of us knew about that beforehand. Or maybe it was only me, since many owners went early for QBs and I waited for value, but I just attributed it to rookie owners.

My first draft is only four weeks away so I better get started on the research.
Old 08-10-15, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My 14 team, PPR, 6pts all TD's league will have it's draw later this week. I almost always prefer drafting from around the 9-10 slot.
Old 08-10-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like most of my league is in favor of the change from .5 to 1 point for PPR. :/

I guess I know what position I'm picking with the 3rd pick.
Old 08-10-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
My 14 team, PPR, 6pts all TD's league will have it's draw later this week. I almost always prefer drafting from around the 9-10 slot.
Because stud RBs are completely useless in your format?
Old 08-10-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Because stud RBs are completely useless in your format?
Not as much as you would think. Back in the early to mid 00's just like any other league the teams with Faulk, Priest Holmes, LDT, etc. would win the title. The teams that make the playoffs always have at least one solid RB. Still with the size of our league I dislike the long wait for the second pick if you draw one of the top slots.
Old 08-11-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a question for you. The one league I've been involved in went to a keeper league (starting last year). It was supposed to be 2 keepers, costing you the round you picked them in the previous year (FA pickups come off the back of the draft). But at the last minute, the commish couldn't figure out how to do this in ESPN's settings and changed it where the keepers cost you the 1st two rounds of the draft. Needless to say, this sucked ... unless you had at least one guy who you expected to go in the top half of the 1st round, it just wasn't worth it. The majority of the league didn't bother with any keepers (myself included).

Well, this same stupid keeper rule is still being done. Even though my team was very good (highest scoring in the league), it's debatable whether I have anyone who would go in round one (though I have a bunch of guys with ADPs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds). My inclination is to blow off keepers again. What do you think? This is a 10-team league with standard scoring (no PPR). My best guys are Dem. Thomas, O Beckham, Luck, and McCoy.
Old 08-11-15, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Here's a question for you. The one league I've been involved in went to a keeper league (starting last year). It was supposed to be 2 keepers, costing you the round you picked them in the previous year (FA pickups come off the back of the draft). But at the last minute, the commish couldn't figure out how to do this in ESPN's settings and changed it where the keepers cost you the 1st two rounds of the draft. Needless to say, this sucked ... unless you had at least one guy who you expected to go in the top half of the 1st round, it just wasn't worth it. The majority of the league didn't bother with any keepers (myself included).

Well, this same stupid keeper rule is still being done. Even though my team was very good (highest scoring in the league), it's debatable whether I have anyone who would go in round one (though I have a bunch of guys with ADPs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds). My inclination is to blow off keepers again. What do you think? This is a 10-team league with standard scoring (no PPR). My best guys are Dem. Thomas, O Beckham, Luck, and McCoy.
So you have to have two keepers or none, which is why it's the first two rounds? And you don't know your draft position yet?

I think I'd skip the keepers. And it sucks because Beckham would have been a great value.
Old 08-11-15, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like the way my ESPN baseball league works. Don't find out order until after you decide to keep, and they can't figure out how to make the first 2 rounds snake. You can keep 1 guy, but you lose your first rounder.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.