2015 Tennis Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2015 Tennis Thread

Old 01-14-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 Tennis Thread

The most popular sport to discuss on DVDTalk is back for another year

It was cool seeing Fed win his 1000th match this past Sunday. With a title on the line too.

Nadal lost to Berrer earlier in the week. Surprising? I guess.
Old 01-14-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: 2015 Tennis Thread

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
The most popular sport to discuss on DVDTalk is back for another year
We already have a curling thread. Merging...
Old 01-14-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I almost started this thread yesterday but got caught up in something else and forgot about it.

I was going to put this picture at the very top:

Old 01-14-15, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyway, AO should be interesting. Nadal obviously not match fit after a long layoff, I doubt he makes it to the 2nd week. Djokovic also got booted in the 1st round in Doha, but AO is his best surface and I think he will find his groove after a couple of matches. Fed is in fine form but 5 sets in slams at his age is tough. Murray has been playing well but the sample size this year is small. I think Cilic and Tsonga are out with injuries. Not sure what kind of form Stan is in.

About time the young guys make a run, but aside from maybe Nishikori or Raonic, I don't see anyone else making it past the quarters.

Correction: Djokovic lost to Karlovic in the Qatar Open quarters.

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-14-15 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-14-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Stan won a title, so he's in good form. Certainly a threat to repeat.
Old 01-14-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
We already have a curling thread. Merging...
Old 01-18-15, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

And we are underway at the 2015 Aussie Open. I had hoped to be there today, dammit, but we planned our trip out there before we realized that it started a week later this year. Still, got to tour the grounds which was kind of cool.

And Ivanovic has already lost.

Edit: And there goes Lisicki as well.

Last edited by jfoobar; 01-18-15 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-19-15, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

The women's field is wide open. I suspect at least half of the men's final four will be surprises.
Old 01-19-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite slam of the year. Will be staying up to watch if I can manage it.
Old 01-21-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sharapova barely escaped that match last night. She is carrying less weight these days, I guess she was losing a step as she got older. One of the announcers made the good point that she hasn't made many deep runs at a Major lately outside of the French. It's harder to survive on the quicker surfaces with gritty play and tenacity.

That Italian guy looked good against Federer for one set. Novak has not looked very good but it's early. It's possible he's saving everything for the marathons coming in the second week.
Old 01-21-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nadal almost got booted by qualifier Tim Smyczek, but survives in 5 sets.
Old 01-21-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Nadal almost got booted by qualifier Tim Smyczek, but survives in 5 sets.
Nadal looked terrible in that match and he's in the worst condition I've ever seen him, barring injury. The clay season could be more open than it has been in years.
Old 01-23-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oups, Fed ousted by Seppi. Not that surprising, his forehand has been off the entire tournament.
Old 01-23-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that was a major surprise by Seppi. He did play well, though Fed looked very old at times.

Anyone else think they need to limit strings on the men's side? I think they actually need to dial down the amount of topspin you can apply to a forehand. It's not a particularly aesthetically pleasing match to see the endless back and forth of loopy, topspin forehands. Better string technology has given too much control to the players.
Old 01-23-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Anyone else think they need to limit strings on the men's side? I think they actually need to dial down the amount of topspin you can apply to a forehand. It's not a particularly aesthetically pleasing match to see the endless back and forth of loopy, topspin forehands. Better string technology has given too much control to the players.
The complaint against the men's game used to be the lack of rallies and long points. That was a pretty commonly cited reason among people who preferred the women's game (especially back in the 90s) for why they did. Now I guess it has gone the other way.
Old 01-23-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Are the strings too grippy?
Old 01-23-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some random thoughts on the women's side:

I'm just not seeing anything that is likely to trip up Serena anytime soon. Her most dangerous possible opponent in the next few rounds may very well be an unseeded Azarenka in the quarters.

Alas, other than Serena, all five of the remaining American women in the draw are all clustered together in the same small section of the draw, to include Venus. It will be interesting to see if any of them can spoil an otherwise forecast Kvitova/Radwanska QF. Still, it is nice to see this many Americans not named "Serena" still alive in the third round and at least one (and probably two) will be in the next round as well.

Strong possibility of a Sharapova/Bouchard QF, which would be very worth watching.
Old 01-23-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I only occasionally play tennis nowadays and my racket is still strung with really old strings. But I do keep hearing about these new strings that everyone who plays a lot are using now in terms of control and spin.
Old 01-23-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Depends on the strings but yeah, generally speaking, modern racket/string technology provides easy control/power and spins. Heck, I'm old, and I can make shots today that I coudn't make 20 years ago, especially in terms of angles.

That said, I think this "problem" is somewhat self-correcting. The AO's slow courts were the worst offender in terms of long 15-20+ shot rallies. They sped up the courts this year and I haven't seen many of those. Plus the new generation of players are taller/stronger and can still rip the ball through the (slower) courts.
Old 01-23-15, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I'm just not seeing anything that is likely to trip up Serena anytime soon. Her most dangerous possible opponent in the next few rounds may very well be an unseeded Azarenka in the quarters.

Alas, other than Serena, all five of the remaining American women in the draw are all clustered together in the same small section of the draw, to include Venus. It will be interesting to see if any of them can spoil an otherwise forecast Kvitova/Radwanska QF. Still, it is nice to see this many Americans not named "Serena" still alive in the third round and at least one (and probably two) will be in the next round as well.
No one ever looks like they will trip up Serena in the early rounds of a major, until she meets someone that can handle her serve's pace a little better and match her from the ground. I don't think she'll win the Aussie Open.

My issue with the strings is that many lower ranked men with less power are copying Nadal's clay tactic of controlling play with loopy topspin forehands, allowing the person time to move back into a solid defensive position. You can make the ball hang in the air long enough to regain a neutral court position.
Old 01-23-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Depends on the strings but yeah, generally speaking, modern racket/string technology provides easy control/power and spins. Heck, I'm old, and I can make shots today that I coudn't make 20 years ago, especially in terms of angles.

That said, I think this "problem" is somewhat self-correcting. The AO's slow courts were the worst offender in terms of long 15-20+ shot rallies. They sped up the courts this year and I haven't seen many of those. Plus the new generation of players are taller/stronger and can still rip the ball through the (slower) courts.
I suspect over the next few years we will be seeing a speeding up of the courts in Australia because quicker courts will benefit the homegrown stars Nick Krygios and Thanasi Kokkinakis both of who look like they will be top 10 players in the future.
Old 01-23-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
No one ever looks like they will trip up Serena in the early rounds of a major, until she meets someone that can handle her serve's pace a little better and match her from the ground.
She gets to play Muguruza again now, who is the powerful Spaniard who knocked her out of last year's French. So there will a little bit of pre-match intrigue at least.

I don't think she'll win the Aussie Open.
I don't either, but I cannot confidently name the player who will instead. I am just inclined to bet on the field.
Old 01-24-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Once again, Kvitova punishes me for being a fan and believing in her.
Old 01-24-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Verdasco has never really been the same player since he got caught using PEDs. I guess that epic match he had with Nadal at the Australian Open will be his career highlight.
Old 01-25-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw some interesting comments by Federer on this Aussie Open. Apparently they are using a new, tighter woven ball this year. Nadal has supposedly complained about the speed of the courts, though other players have said nothing has changed.

I know many pundits think Grigor Dimitrov will eventually win Slams, but I see athletic limitations in his game that may prevent him from the top three or four ranking spots.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.