The 2015 Pro Wrestling Thread - WWE's Royal Rumble; Return of TNA

Old 01-01-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 2015 Pro Wrestling Thread - WWE's Royal Rumble; Return of TNA

A new year has begun...
Old 01-01-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The January 2015 Pro Wrestling Thread - WWE's Royal Rumble; Return of TNA

Thanks for starting this up...I legitimately haven't watched much lately, and it was kind of getting tough to find the motivation to get this rolling.

In wrestling that I HAVE been watching, I got to see this happen in person last Sunday. When the video starts, I am in the upper left corner, with a red sweatshirt draped over the railing in front of me. How the guy doing this move didn't break his neck just amazes me...

Old 01-03-15, 05:15 PM
Suspended

So the "Jerry Onlies" ( the ascension) have been only on tv twice, and the writers are already making them compare themselves to L.O.D and Demolition? Its boring already.
Old 01-03-15, 08:46 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just signed up with NJPW network so I could see Wrestle Kingdom 9 can't wait!
Old 01-04-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So is Ascension playing it as faces or heels? They make better heels, but it seems they want them as tweeners.

Is the plan for Lesnar to lose to Cena at Rumble, or is it for Daniel Bryan to win the rumble and face Lesnar in a David vs. Goliath kind of scenario? I really do think the latter would have laid the perfect stage for a Cena heel turn. It was established that only he could bring back the Authority, but he would have no real reason to do so unless they could help him. Bryan wins at Mania, and then inexplicably the Authority returns to screw him over again. Then it is revealed that Cena brought them back to do so as he is tired of not having the title.

But alas...
Old 01-04-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WWE hates having popular heels.

Its very hard too list great WWE wrestlers who were heel only over the last 30 years.

Before expansion a lot of wrestlers were written in stone as heels. Nowadays all the WWE cares about is ratings and really aren't thinking of the future.
Old 01-04-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
WWE hates having popular heels.

Its very hard too list great WWE wrestlers who were heel only over the last 30 years.

Before expansion a lot of wrestlers were written in stone as heels. Nowadays all the WWE cares about is ratings and really aren't thinking of the future.
Agreed. Back in the day, guys didn't have multiple switches back and forth. While very few were like Ricky Steamboat (never switching), most didn't flip back and forth (and we won't even go with the extreme example of Big Show) every year or two.

I read an interview with one of the Usos the other day. He seemed VERY happy to be in a tag team... like he could be a career tag teamer. Remember those days? Where guys weren't always striving for a singles career... they were happy to be a stalwart in the Tag Team division? I don't think that is too much to ask. I'm sure many guys strive for the solo spotlight/paycheck, but just as many would be happy to be in the bigtime, getting a bigger payday. Why not reinvigorate the division, while we're at it.

I understand the need for change. Kayfabe is dead. But there are some principles from back in the day that can/should still be used.

(Sorry. Old timer soapbox shelved... for now.)
Old 01-05-15, 09:24 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
Agreed. Back in the day, guys didn't have multiple switches back and forth. While very few were like Ricky Steamboat (never switching), most didn't flip back and forth (and we won't even go with the extreme example of Big Show) every year or two.
I think the first 'frequent flipper' I remember was Paul Orndorff. He was a heel at WMI, turned face at Saturday Night's Main Event a few months later, turned heel again the next year by infamously stabbing Hogan in the back (my favorite heel turn ever), and was face again the next year. Even as a kid I thought it was excessive... as in, "why would the good guys trust him again after what he had done to Hogan not that long ago"?

Last edited by DRG; 01-05-15 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-05-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it's safe to say that Barrett is in the heel category?
Old 01-05-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And also 5 time Intercontinental Champion
Old 01-05-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love it...The Asscension facing jobbers. Their own personal "brush with greatness tour"
Old 01-05-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Ascension are awful.
Old 01-05-15, 09:11 PM
Suspended

Please call them The Jerry Onlies. If you don't know who Jerry Only is, look him up. They are using his lame ass look.
Old 01-05-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LOD > Demolition > Powers of Pain >>>>>>>>>>>> The Ascension.

They're basically the Road Warriors without the originality, physique, strength and charisma.
Old 01-05-15, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are they really going to give Tyson Kidd something to do?
Old 01-06-15, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chadm View Post
LOD > Demolition > Powers of Pain >>>>>>>>>>>> The Ascension.

They're basically the Road Warriors without the originality, physique, strength and charisma.
Why don't they bring in Paul Ellering as their manager or maybe Animal,but that would make too much sense. Don't know if either would be interested.
Old 01-06-15, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow that was a terrible ending. I was hoping the fired guys would at least jump Cena or something. And speaking of, really? The fired angle again? Yawn.
Old 01-06-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like Vince Russo said on Wrestle Reaction a few weeks ago,the GM angles on RAW and Smackdown have run their course.

They need to find something for Triple H too do. Jabber jawing it for 15 minutes at the beginning of every RAW is predictable and boring.
Old 01-06-15, 08:21 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get what they're doing with the Ascension.

The pre-debut promos and debut tryed to sell them as badasses in the LoD mold, as they demolish the former tag team champs.

Week 2 Ascension is actively making the Demolition/LoD references, and the announcers seem to sell it in their favor as they demolish a jobber team.

Week 3 Ascension makes Demolition/LoD references, but in a mocking way. The announcers treat them as a joke and make fun of the fact they are taking on a jobber team.

Did creative realize the LoD ripoff thing wasn't working and decide to make a joke out of it, Honky Tonk Man debut style? If so, I feel kind of bad for Ascension... they're probably a few weeks away from making a "TASTE THE RAINBOW!" on-air Skittles promo.
Old 01-06-15, 08:50 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I also want to add the milking of feuds to overkill has been particularly bad the last few months... the Usos/Miz feud is the worst example. The feud seems to have started on the Oct 27 Raw... from that point on, Miz has faced an Uso (or Usos) in some fashion on TV/PPV 15 times (this is just actual matches and doesn't count run-ins or promos). Just since TLC (December 14, less than a month ago) there has been a Miz/Uso match on every Raw (4 in total) as well as 2 of the last 3 Smackdowns. That's 6 matches since the last PPV!
Old 01-06-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

- TNA Impact Wrestling will reportedly have a heavy reality TV theme to the show when it premieres with Destination America this week.

The idea is to have cameras filming everything from wrestlers walking around backstage, entering the building and even being out of character.

Dixie Carter is said to be a big fan of reality TV and Destination America already shows a lot of reality-type programming. TNA will be changing the format of Impact some to fit Destination America better.
Dixie been watching Lucha lol
Old 01-06-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I also want to add the milking of feuds to overkill has been particularly bad the last few months... the Usos/Miz feud is the worst example. The feud seems to have started on the Oct 27 Raw... from that point on, Miz has faced an Uso (or Usos) in some fashion on TV/PPV 15 times (this is just actual matches and doesn't count run-ins or promos). Just since TLC (December 14, less than a month ago) there has been a Miz/Uso match on every Raw (4 in total) as well as 2 of the last 3 Smackdowns. That's 6 matches since the last PPV!
I'd like to see the same Ambrose/Wyatt break down.

And does Ambrose ever win a match? Talk about absolutely killing a character that has some heat with the crowd.
Old 01-06-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really wonder how well TNA is going to do on Destination America. It seems like a really random channel to be on for them.
Old 01-06-15, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I really wonder how well TNA is going to do on Destination America. It seems like a really random channel to be on for them.
Speaking of which:

Impact Wrestling Debuts with a Special Live Broadcast on Wednesday, January 7.

Before Moving to Its Regular Time Slot on Fridays Beginning January 16.
Old 01-06-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Not any more random than when WWF was on TNN all those years ago, and they got by fine. On a much smaller scale, the TNA fans will seek them out, as long as the channel is available.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.