Reload this Page >

The 2015 Pro Wrestling Thread - WWE's Royal Rumble; Return of TNA

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2015 Pro Wrestling Thread - WWE's Royal Rumble; Return of TNA

Old 05-22-15, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2015 Pro Wrestling Thread - WWE's Royal Rumble; Return of TNA

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
In addition to what others have posted about guys like Angle and Sting having decent runs in TNA I would say guys like Christian had a pretty great run there. Plus we got to see Bully Ray (Bubba Ray Dudley) have a decent singles run. I'd also say some of the X-Division guys like AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels were pretty good.
Christian had a great run there, but since Vince refers to him as "the blue dot" I don't think he would buy TNA's library and do anything with his footage.

Vince would buy the TNA library simply because it's an ego thing.
Old 05-23-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Catching up on NXT and once again, the women are awesome. Have decided that I'm way in the tank for Sasha Banks...even like her entrance music.

Main event still to come for me.
Old 05-23-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, I knew Bobby the Brain has had a rough battle with cancer, and multiple surgeries, but it still couldn't prepare me for the photo of him and Piper on Twitter today. Really sad stuff.
Old 05-26-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Raw the same show every week now? Cena vs someone catering to the crowd. Rollins vs Ambrose/Reigns in some configuration. Rusev/Ziggler/Barrett/Meathead/Pasty Meathead in some configuration. It's just all so boring now.

edit to add: Diva's match and one tag team match because there can't be more than one feud in the tag division so they all just wrestle each other in a round robin fashion or they're all in the ring at once.

Last edited by Timber; 05-26-15 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

100 percent agree. RAW was a waste of time. Its turned into the John Cena Show. I thought that they were building up the tag team division but they had a stupid gimmick match last night.
Old 05-26-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A couple months ago I decided I wanted to get back into watching WWE after what I thought was a SOLID Wrestlemania. Also, to my mind, right now WWE has the most talent deep roster that they've had in YEARS.Sure, not as many big name stars as the Attitude Era. There's no Rock( as a regular at least) or Austin. But from top to bottom I think its just as good as the Attitude era. Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins, Randy Orton, Wade Barrett, Luke Harper, Neville, Triple H, John Cena, Kevin Owens, Roman Reigns, Goldust, Stardust. And on part time schedules The Rock, Undertaker, Sting, Chris Jericho, Rob Van Dam, Brock Lesnar. I mean thats a great fucking roster.

That said, after about 3 months of PVRing RAW, I've stopped PVRing it. What a overly long, repetitive, tedious 3 hours of television. They have so much fucking talent yet they have no idea how to use ANY of them. Plus 5 hours of RAW and Smackdown a week is fucking OVERKILL. They've over saturated the market to an insane degree.

I've really been wanting to get back into wrestling since WM31 but also since I started getting ROH with my cable provider. I've been watching it every week for awhile now and man, its always a GREAT solid hour. Every week its fantastic. I tried adding WWE to the mix, but that was a bust, So now I just need to find a way to watch NXT and Lucha Underground because I've heard nothing but great things about both shows. ROH, NXT and Lucha Underground should hopefully quench my wrestling thirst.

WWE is usually good for one or two PPV's a year at best. And TNA? The less said about TNA the better I suppose.
Old 05-26-15, 11:54 PM

Lucha Underground posts videos all over youtube and most full episodes can be found on DailyMotion. It is such great wrestling week after week and fantastic storytelling. It has pretty much ruined watching wwe week to week for me. Well wwe has ruined wwe with how boring and repetative it is but Lucha is so so great. It really has renewed my love for pro wrestling.
Old 05-27-15, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RAW is ok as long as you don't watch the first or last 15 minutes and turn the volume down whenever JBL talks.
Old 05-27-15, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

to think the WWE's best show is on their Network...
Old 05-27-15, 08:57 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chadm View Post
That said, after about 3 months of PVRing RAW, I've stopped PVRing it. What a overly long, repetitive, tedious 3 hours of television. They have so much fucking talent yet they have no idea how to use ANY of them. Plus 5 hours of RAW and Smackdown a week is fucking OVERKILL. They've over saturated the market to an insane degree.
As imperfect as it still is, I think this is the most well rounded Raw has been overall for years. When I started back around 2011 I found the programming much worse. The tag division was decimated, the midcard titles were afterthoughts they often forgot existed, and the Divas division had no storytelling and usually was represented by a short ten-Diva clusterf*ck match where half the Divas were just thrown in as heels or faces as needed. Yes, there was CM Punk and a few other bright spots in the upper card... but past that they weren't even trying with 90% of the talent.

At least now there's a solid tag division (not Attitude Era strong, but there are 8 established teams with unique personalities and styles), a highlight on the both midcard titles (Cena's open challenge and an IC Elimination Chamber match), and the Divas... well they still have a long way to go on that front but it's worlds better than the Kelly Kelly era.

That said, there is still a lot of room for improvement across the board. I think their biggest downfall is their habit of establishing a midcard character then just setting them on autopilot after a month or two. Case in point... the new Sheamus. They were doing a pretty good job of establishing him as this a-hole and I thought he was doing a pretty good job with his mic work. Now he just comes out and is assumed to be that bad guy and they stop giving him promo time to build that character. It's far worse to a superstar than jobbing, in my opinion, and they do it with almost everyone in the midcard. Stardust just shows up and does weird stuff now. Adam Rose stopped giving promos after a month and now he doesn't even have Rosebuds. I bet after another month Barrett will still be coming out in King gear but will no longer be giving any king-centric promos. I think Creative and the Showrunners forget that they need to keep giving these guys promo time and fresh character moments to keep people invested.
Old 05-27-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really wish they would do something like when Bob Backlund snapped on Bret Hart with Cenas US Open Challenge. I can't stand how disingenuous Cena is to all these guys. That's how it comes off because we all know he isn't gonna lose.

I really didn't understand having Barrett losing to Ryback. Barrett should be building up to something after winning King of the Ring but it seems he is stuck spinning his wheels again.
Old 05-27-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ring Of Honor Wrestling To Broadcast On Destination America In June. Destination America has also confirmed this news vua their official Facebook page, and have further stated that an episode of TNA Impact Wrestling will immediately follow the ROH broadcast on June 3rd.

http://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/n...-Broadcast-On/
Old 05-27-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't see this past Raw, but isn't that what the Owens confrontation with Cena was about, a change from the norm?

What's interesting is that people are saying (and I agree) that they have too much tv time between Raw and Smackdown, but also that they're not developing characters, and you'd think there'd be an easy way to fix both, but no, we need to be constantly reminded about what just happened five minutes ago and we need to see the main event storyline take up an obscene amount of time.

Woah, so TNA was dumped for ROH?

edited to add: Hmm, so I see the various write ups and the cancellation of TNA is still not confirmed, so the speculation is that either they're dumping TNA and transitioning the fans, or that they want to create a wrestling block (seems odd unless there will be crossover between brands).

Last edited by fujishig; 05-27-15 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is weird that Destination America would drop TNA for Ring of Honor. I mean Ring of Honor is the better promotion but a smaller name and I'm surprised they'd drop TNA so fast and expect ROH to do better.
Old 05-27-15, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's probably a lot cheaper, though?
Old 05-27-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like they will have TNA and ROH. Well then.

DESTINATION AMERICA BRINGS MORE ACTION TO THE RING ACQUIRING THE RIGHTS TO RING OF HONOR'S WEEKLY TELEVISION PROGRAMMING

(Silver Spring, Md.) –Destination America announced today that it has signed a national broadcast deal with professional wrestling league RING OF HONOR, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., bringing one of the most respected wrestling organizations to the only network dedicated to all-American entertainment. Destination America is now the one-two-punch to professional wrestling, adding RING OF HONOR (ROH) to its line-up after launching IMPACT WRESTLING in early 2015. RING OF HONOR has been delivering top wrestling matches for ten years with captivating hard-hitting stars such as Jay & Mark Briscoe, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, The Young Bucks, Maria Kanellis, Adam Cole and Jay Lethal. Destination America will pack on the action beginning Wednesday June 3 with the series premiere of RING OF HONOR at 8/7c leading into brand new premieres of IMPACT WRESTLING at 9/8c.

"With the electric and intense matches that RING OF HONOR provides, Destination America is the network for fans to get an entire evening of jaw-dropping entertainment on Wednesday nights," said Marc Etkind, general manager of Destination America. "RING OF HONOR showcases tenacity, athleticism and passion and it serves as the place where America's favorite wrestling stars are born."

"We are very excited to be partnering with Destination America for the broader distribution of the ROH programming," commented Joe Koff, Chief Operating Officer - Ring of Honor Wrestling. "ROH will now reach an additional 57 million households including those in New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and other large cities where Ring of Honor is not currently airing. ROH has a loyal fan base and is one of the fastest growing major wrestling franchises in the country. With this great partnership with Destination America, we can continue to expand our footprint and reach while producing entertaining, original content and continuing to provide wrestling fans some of the best wrestling content available.

RING OF HONOR will premiere on Wednesday, June 3 leading into IMPACT WRESTLING, making Destination America the home for wrestling every Wednesday evening. The first match will feature the Briscoe Brothers, Mark and Jay, as they face off with the House of Truth in the main event. Also catch athletes of New Japan Pro Wrestling battle it out with the RING OF HONOR stars and follow former NFL lineman Moose compete against BJ Whitmer.

Since launching in 2012, Destination America has become one of cable's top fastest-growing networks, and continues to earn telecast ratings records among key series. In 2015 to date, Destination America has acquired over 50 million unique viewers. With top series that explore unique American cultures and ways of life – including Paranormal Survivor, Hillbilly Blood, Buying the Bayou, and BBQ Pitmasters – Destination America's programming spans the nation from Alaska, Hawaii and Colorado to Louisiana, West Virginia and communities in between.
Old 05-27-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

not alot of money to produce ROH. TNA has alot of bloated contracts. TNA slowly dying is horrible.
Old 05-27-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This might be good for TNA since they now have direct competition and it might light a fire under their ass. If ROH shows beat TNA in the ratings, come 2016, TNA will be no more.
Old 05-27-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chadm View Post
I tried adding WWE to the mix, but that was a bust, So now I just need to find a way to watch NXT and Lucha Underground because I've heard nothing but great things about both shows. ROH, NXT and Lucha Underground should hopefully quench my wrestling thirst.

WWE is usually good for one or two PPV's a year at best. And TNA? The less said about TNA the better I suppose.
Dude, my feeling on this is that no matter how bad RAW is, the Network is easily worth the 10 bucks a month. Just on NXT, PPVs (no matter how mediocre), and Attitude Era RAWs alone.

Think of is this way: you're paying the cable company 60 bucks per PPV. $60 x 2 (number of PPVs worth paying full price for per year) = $120. For the Network, it's $10 x 12 months = $120 . so the 2 good PPVs pay for the Network without even taking NXT or anything else into consideration.
Old 05-27-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The ROH shows that DA will be airing will be repeats of the shows that debut in syndication the weekend before. This is still HUGE for them as it gets more potential eyes on them.
Old 05-27-15, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's huge for me too because ROH isn't syndicated on DirecTV.
Old 05-27-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
This might be good for TNA since they now have direct competition and it might light a fire under their ass. If ROH shows beat TNA in the ratings, come 2016, TNA will be no more.
I agree but I do have to think if I was TNA that I'd be a bit pissed at Destination America. With rumors that Impact may be getting cancelled (after less than five months) and then picking up competition that's a pretty big slap in the face if you ask me. Granted I do think that ROH is the better product but its still an odd situation for Destination America to place TNA in.
Old 05-27-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Owens is better on the mic than 90% of the guys on the main roster. To bad that if he was on the main roster that talent would be taken away from him.
Old 05-28-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
With rumors that Impact may be getting cancelled (after less than five months) and then picking up competition that's a pretty big slap in the face if you ask me.
Rumors? I thought it was a done deal and makes sense to get ROH to replace TNA. TNA is a mess, don't have much to offer anymore.
Old 05-28-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Rumors? I thought it was a done deal and makes sense to get ROH to replace TNA. TNA is a mess, don't have much to offer anymore.
It was rumor. There was never any official word from TNA or Discovery Channel (Destination America's parent)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.