2014 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 15

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2014 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 15

Old 12-15-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 2014 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 15

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I'm glad Gruden isn't coaching... I actually like his commentaries - which is a rare thing for me.
So do I. I do get tired of his lusting over QBs, but he's really entertaining to listen to.
Old 12-16-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rather have Gruden back in the league as a head coach. Love the Chucky rages on the sideline. I also enojoy his time on the air, but it's more valuable when he is the one being interviewed and he has some skin in the game.

I would also like to have Cowher back out there as a coach. But mostly because I want him out of the analyst game. Can't stand to listen to that guy talk. Great coach and a great interview in short bursts.
Old 12-16-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

With the Saints/Bears game in the books, the NFC clinching scenarios have been updated. Here's the whole league (with references to ties removed):

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

New England can clinch home-field advantage in the AFC playoffs with:
1) NE win + DEN loss

New England can clinch a first-round bye with:
1) NE win
2) IND loss + CIN loss + PIT loss + BAL loss

DENVER BRONCOS

Denver can clinch a first-round bye with:
1) DEN win

CINCINNATI BENGALS

Cincinnati can clinch the AFC North division title with:
1) CIN win + PIT loss + BAL loss

Cincinnati can clinch a playoff spot with:
1) CIN win
2) KCC loss + SDC loss + BUF loss

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Pittsburgh can clinch a playoff spot with:
1) PIT win

BALTIMORE RAVENS

Baltimore can clinch a playoff spot with:
1) BAL win + PIT loss + CIN loss
2) BAL win + KCC loss + SDC loss

ARIZONA CARDINALS

Arizona can clinch the NFC West division title and home-field advantage throughout NFC playoffs with:
1) ARI win

DETROIT LIONS

Detroit can clinch the NFC North with:
1) DET win + GBP loss

Detroit can clinch a first-round bye with:
1) DET win + GBP loss + DAL loss

Detroit can clinch a playoff spot with:
1) DET win
2) PHI loss

DALLAS COWBOYS

Dallas can clinch the NFC East division title with:
1) DAL win + PHI loss

Dallas can clinch a playoff berth with:
1) DAL win + GBP loss + DET loss

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Seattle can clinch a playoff spot with:
1) SEA win + PHI loss
2) SEA win + DET loss
3) SEA win + GBP loss
4) PHI loss + DAL win

GREEN BAY PACKERS

Green Bay can clinch a playoff spot with:
1) GBP win + PHI loss
2) GBP win + DAL win
3) PHI loss + DAL win

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

New Orleans can clinch the NFC South division title with:
1) NOS win + CAR loss
Old 12-16-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Week 16 Elimination Scenarios

AFC EAST

NEP has clinched AFC East Title

BUF is eliminated from the playoffs with:
- BUF loss + BAL win
- BUF loss + KC win
- BUF loss + SD win
- PIT win + BAL win + CIN win

MIA is eliminated from the playoffs with:
- MIA loss
- BAL win
- SD win + PIT win

NYJ has already been eliminated from playoffs.

AFC NORTH

CIN cannot be eliminated from AFC North title contention this week, and thus cannot be eliminated from playoffs this week.

PIT is eliminated from AFC North title contention with:
- PIT loss + CIN win
PIT cannot be eliminated from the playoffs this week.

BAL is eliminated from AFC North title contention with:
- BAL loss
- PIT win + CIN win
BAL cannot be eliminated from the playoffs this week.

CLE is already eliminated from AFC North title contention.
CLE is eliminated from the playoffs with:
- CLE loss
- BAL win
- KC win
- SD win
- BUF win

AFC SOUTH

IND has clinched AFC South Title

HOU is eliminated from the playoffs with:
- HOU loss

TEN + JAX have already been eliminated from the playoffs

AFC WEST

DEN has clinched AFC South Title

SD is eliminated from the playoffs with:
- SD loss + PIT win + BAL win

KC is eliminated from the playoffs with:
- KC loss + BAL win

OAK has already been eliminated from the playoffs.

NFC EAST

DAL cannot be eliminated from NFC East title contention this week, and thus cannot be eliminated from playoffs this week.

PHI is eliminated from the playoffs with:
- PHI loss + DAL win

NYG+ WAS have already been eliminated from the playoffs

NFC NORTH

DET cannot be eliminated from NFC North title contention this week, and thus cannot be eliminated from the playoffs this week.

GB is eliminated from NFC North title contention with:
- GB loss + DET win
GB cannot be eliminated from the playoffs this week.

CHI + MIN have already been eliminated from the playoffs

NFC SOUTH

NO is eliminated from NFC South title contention and the playoffs with:
- NO loss + CAR win

CAR is eliminated from NFC South title contention and the playoffs with:
- CAR loss + NO win

ATL is eliminated from NFC South title contention and the playoffs with:
- ATL loss

TBB has already been eliminated from the playoffs

NFC WEST

ARI has clinched a playoff berth, and cannot be eliminated from the playoffs.

SEA is eliminated from NFC West title contention with:
- SEA loss
SEA cannot be eliminated from the playoffs this week.

STL + SFF have already been eliminated from the playoffs
Old 12-16-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Rumor going around is that Marc Trestman will likely be fired at the end of the year.
Old 12-16-14, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
Rumor going around is that Marc Trestman will likely be fired at the end of the year.
Yeah that's pretty much going to happen. They have absolutely quit on him and he's probably quit on the Bears. That was about as half-assed an effort as I've seen this year last night.
Old 12-16-14, 10:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

As he should be. The GM may also be on te way out. Anyone that chooses Trestman over Arians should not be allowed to make another hire.
Old 12-16-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 620 Likes on 440 Posts

Old 12-17-14, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

I thought this was the worst HC hire since the Lions hired Marinelli. I get so much pleasure watching the Bears implode and seeing that douche-nozzle Cutler try to muddle thru pressers.
Old 12-17-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Tom Brady's F-Bombs Have Led to Viewers Filing Complaints with FCC
By Kyle Newport , Featured Columnist
Dec 16, 2014

It's no secret that the F-word is New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's go-to word when he is frustrated during games. As a result of the quarterback getting caught on camera yelling the F-bomb multiple times this year, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has received several complaints.

The complaints, however, weren't focused on Brady. They were more about the fact that the networks continued to show the quarterback while he was letting off steam.

The Smoking Gun was able to get hold of three complaints that have been filed to the FCC recently.

At least these fans understand that athletes get caught up in the heat of the moment. However, these viewers do have an issue with the networks continuing to show the athletes yelling obscenities.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...rial&hpt=hp_t2

Meanwhile, Andrew Luck is killing them with kindness.
Andrew Luck: The NFL’s Most Perplexing Trash Talker
The Colts Quarterback Drives Defenders Crazy by Offering Compliments; Head Games or Genuine Kindness?

By Kevin Clark
Updated Dec. 16, 2014 10:10 a.m. ET

Andrew Luck’s legend is growing.

Sure, there’s buzz about how he has thrown for more yards in his first three seasons than anyone in NFL history. Or the fact he’s led the Indianapolis Colts to the playoffs in each of his NFL seasons, after clinching a spot this year with Sunday’s win. But among NFL players, the gossip around Luck concerns a peculiar brand of on-field chatter so confusing and brilliant that no one knows quite what to make of it.

“In all the years I’ve played football I have never heard anything like it,” said Washington Redskins linebacker Ryan Kerrigan. “Nothing even close.”

Luck has become famous for congratulating—sincerely and enthusiastically—any player to hit him hard. Any sack is met with a hearty congratulations, such as ”great job” or “what a hit!” He yells it after hard hits that don’t result in sacks, too. It is, players say, just about the weirdest thing any quarterback does in the NFL.

When New England pass rusher Rob Ninkovich pulverized Luck last month in a Patriots’ 42-20 win, he got the customary congratulations. As Ninkovich tells it, he found himself paralyzed with confusion by the well-wishes, so he blurted out “Thanks for...uh...accepting that hit?” before running back to the huddle.

Defensive back Nolan Carroll, who has hit Luck three times and with two teams, remembers the first time it happened while he was with the Miami Dolphins last year. Carroll, now with the Philadelphia Eagles, was blitzing off the edge and got to Luck, knocking him down just after he released the ball. Carroll was walking back to the huddle when he heard “Great job, Nolan!” He turned around, searching for the person who said it—maybe it was a teammate, he thought. “Then I realized it was Luck who said it. I’m like ‘what’s going on? Aren’t you supposed to be mad?’” Carroll said. “So then I’m the one who gets ticked off because an upbeat attitude isn’t something you see.”

This, players say, is Luck’s brilliance, even if it is unintentional. According to Baltimore Ravens pass rusher Pernell McPhee, who sacked Luck in October, quarterbacks generally do two things when they are sacked: They complain to the referee, looking for a roughing the passer penalty, or they do nothing and absorb their pain in silence. A handful will get angry if the sack was particularly fierce (don’t get McPhee started on Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers). But Luck is so dramatically different that those who knock him down have no clue what to do. “You love it but at the same time, you really, really hate it,” said Eagles linebacker Connor Barwin.

“You know if you hear a quarterback get mad, you are in his head,” Carroll said. “With Luck, you thought you hurt the guy, you hear ‘good job’ and you just say ‘aw, man.’”

The Wall Street Journal contacted 12 NFL players who recorded a sack or knockdown of Luck, and each player said he received the same message from Luck. Some were different than others—Kerrigan’s sack resulted in a fumble, so Luck, who was scrambling to retrieve the ball, could never offer his congratulations. So he looped around later in the game to tell Kerrigan how great he was doing.

“You want to say thank you but then you say ‘wait a second--I’m not supposed to like you!’” Kerrigan said.

Luck did not respond to requests for comment. Those who know him best say the most likely reason behind his comments is that he’s just a really nice guy. Former Stanford teammates, for instance, say there’s likely an element of gamesmanship, but that’s secondary to his sincere respect for a good play—even one that resulted in him getting knocked off his feet.

“My wife and I raised all four of our kids with appropriate values, with respect for other people and to be kind and generous and I guess that carried over to the football field,” said Luck’s father, Oliver, a former NFL quarterback who is now the athletic director at West Virginia University.

Oliver Luck said he first heard that his son was congratulating those who sacked him when Andrew was playing high-school football in Texas. Oliver said Andrew had played so many sports in middle school throughout the Houston area that he knew most of the opposing players he faced, so saying “great job’” was natural because he was among friends.

Washington Redskins linebacker Trent Murphy, Luck’s teammate at Stanford, said Luck would interrupt film sessions to praise an opponent’s hit of him. The harder the better.

“He’s yelling ‘nice hit, nice hit!’ and we’re like ‘uh, no one else does this.’”

Murphy said Luck’s “over-the-top positive” demeanor has never included genuine trash-talk. “His idea of trash talk is complimenting people,” he said.

Former Stanford tight end Zach Ertz, acknowledged Luck is probably playing head games to some extent. But Ertz said that’s not Luck’s main concern. For evidence, he submitted that if Luck himself makes a great play, he usually says nothing—no matter the situation. Ertz said Luck, who is 6-foot-4, can dunk a basketball “pretty effortlessly.” And even when dunking on teammates, he never howled in delight. “He’d just giggle and jog away chuckling because he knew he got the better of you.”
http://www.wsj.com/articles/andrew-l...ker-1418663249
Old 12-17-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More than ususal, the networks carrying NFL games seem to be trying to capture audio from the end zones after scores and from the sidelines throughout the game. Going to likely capture more than just the occasional F-Bomb if they keep that up.
Old 12-17-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

American public can be such pansies sometimes
Old 12-17-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
American public can be such pansies sometimes
I would go with prudes, but otherwise I agree.
Old 12-17-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 676 Likes on 485 Posts

Niners terminate contract of Ray McDonald due to rape allegations. Took them long enough to get rid of him.
Old 12-17-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ray McDonald released by the Niners. If the Niners won last week Ray would still be a Niner. Anybody that claims otherwise is a liar.
Old 12-17-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Yep. How convenient.
Old 12-17-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 676 Likes on 485 Posts

Woah. Bears are reportedly turning to Jimmy Clausen as their QB for this weekend.
Old 12-17-14, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Woah. Bears are reportedly turning to Jimmy Clausen as their QB for this weekend.
One might say they're throwing him to the lions.
Old 12-17-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Maybe the cardinals can sign jay after the bears release him.lol.
Old 12-17-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 159 Posts

The end of the season can't come soon enough for the Bears...
Old 12-17-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will be very fun to see where Cutler ends up because I can't see him being a Bear for too long after the season ends. Unless there is a "bidding war" I can't see a team being willing to give up draft picks.

At this point teams should know better when it comes to Cutler. There is a reason he isn't with his original team, just like Percy Harvin. Let him and all his "potential" rot on the unsigned free agent list until an injury comes up and there is a desperate short term need.
Old 12-17-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Will be very fun to see where Cutler ends up because I can't see him being a Bear for too long after the season ends. Unless there is a "bidding war" I can't see a team being willing to give up draft picks.

At this point teams should know better when it comes to Cutler. There is a reason he isn't with his original team, just like Percy Harvin. Let him and all his "potential" rot on the unsigned free agent list until an injury comes up and there is a desperate short term need.
Bears should release him and pay him $15.75 millions to be not on their roster next season.
Old 12-17-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post

They really can't really release him because they would take a massive cap hit but they would only take a 4 million dollar cap hit if he is traded.

Possible fits--STL, TB, TEN, NYJ, BUF, CLE. I think STL or TB would be the favorites here since Lovie Smith is familar with Cutler and Fisher has always wanted Cutler as his qb.
Old 12-17-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

No ones mentioned Harbaugh's Michigan offer?

It would be interesting if he took it, personality wise he's really not suited to be a long term college coach despite what some on this board think.

I say Chicago is where he ends up. Bet the Bears would be willing to trade Cutler and cash for Harbaugh.
Old 12-17-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
No ones mentioned Harbaugh's Michigan offer?

It would be interesting if he took it, personality wise he's really not suited to be a long term college coach despite what some on this board think.

I say Chicago is where he ends up. Bet the Bears would be willing to trade Cutler and cash for Harbaugh.
I actually think he might take it. Bears, Dolphins and Raiders will be fighting it out for Harbaugh if he stays in the NFL.

But yeah, I'm not really sure what the Bears will do at QB. At #9, there is a small chance that Winston might be there. I suppose they could also try to sign someone in FA (probably Hoyer) but they also have massive needs on defense. Too bad Cook is leaning toward staying in school. I suppose they could look at Brett Hundley.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.