DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 10-16-14, 09:42 AM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Wrestling Retro Journal - 1999

Quote:
So I've decided, in an attempt to see what I missed over the years, to go back from the beginning of Monday Night RAW and watch all wrestling related shows. I have a loose set of criteria here:

-All episodes of RAW
-All episodes of WCW Monday Nitro
-All episodes of ECW Hardcore TV, and all ECW Supercards (changed mid-1997 to just ECW Supercards/PPVs)
-All PPVs
-All COTCs once Nitro starts up (concluded in 1997)
-All episodes of Thunder
-All episodes of Smackdown
-All episodes of Sunday Night Heat
-Undecided on TNA

Feel free to follow along and join the conversation!
DONE THUS FAR:
1993-1995
My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 10-16-14, 12:48 PM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: My Wrestling Retro Journal - 1999

WWF Sunday Night Heat - 1.3.99
DCU Center - Worcester, MA
Commentary:
Kevin Kelly, Shane McMahon, Mankind

-A clip from WWF Byte This with Vince McMahon, where he says if Shawn Michaels ever steps foot in a WWF arena again, the Corporation will dismember him.
-The New Age Outlaws come to the ring. Billy Gunn cuts a quick promo on Ken Shamrock, and the Road Dogg addresses The Rock interfering in his Hardcore Title match on Monday, saying "I gots to whoop your ass". He challenges The Rock to a Hardcore Title match, and The Rock comes out, along with Test & Ken Shamrock. Shamrock takes the mic (oh no) and calls Billy Gunn a piece of trash, and says he will not get a shot at the Intercontinental Title. The Rock says the Road Dogg damn sure ain't ready or worthy to go one on one with The Great One. The Rock says before the Road Dogg can even entertain the thought of facing The Rock, he has to pass the Test first.
-Michael Cole tries to interview Ken Shamrock backstage, but Billy Gunn attacks him before he can say anything.
-The Oddities v. The Headbangers. George 'The Animal' Steele is still hanging around with the Oddities. Steele takes the mic and points at Mosh, and Mosh mocks him - Steele says "I wrestle you".
-Sooo...Mosh v. George 'The Animal Steele. Steele says if he wins, the Oddities will get a shot at the Headbangers fake titles, which are "The World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Championships Of The Universe". Sigh. Awful.
-Steele wins with an inside cradle.
-Some random guy - never seen him before - interviews Shawn Michaels "from his home", although it looks a lot like a studio. Michaels says he isn't afraid of Vince McMahon. Michaels guarantees he'll be at RAW tomorrow night.
-Mark Henry v. Triple H, with the storyline being where will Chyna's loyalties lie. Chyna shows up at the entrance with some other women in a dress - but it might be a man in a dress, I'm not sure. Henry is distracted long enough to get a Pedigree from Triple H, and Hunter gets the win.
-Christian v. Val Venis. Val Venis wins with the Moneyshot, and then the lights go out and we get the setup for the Bloodbath. Lights come back on, and sure enough - Val has been Bloodbathed.
-Owen Hart & Jeff Jarrett v. Ken Shamrock & The Big Bossman in a non-title match. Debra undoes her dress for the Bossman, who looks like a kid in a candy store - Shane tries to play it off as Bossman recruiting Debra into the Corporation - and Jarrett rolls Bossman up from behind for the big win.
-Cole interviews Owen & Jarrett backstage, who want a title shot.
-Mankind comes down for color commentary. Shane McMahon is scared to death, and actually leaves the commentary position.
-Road Dogg v. Test. Mankind sings along with Road Dogg's catchphrases. Road Dogg invites Mankind into the ring, and says he'll give him a rematch anytime he wants it, but in the meantime, the part of Billy Gunn this evening will be played by Mick Foley. He then introduces "The Road Dogg Jesse James, The Man Kind Mick Foley, the New Age Outlaws". Mankind then does Billy Gunn's part, but he has one word for us - SOCKO!
-The Rock runs down to interfere, but Mankind jumps in the ring, and tees off on The Rock as we go off the air!

Probably off tomorrow, so we'll be back Monday - with the official turning point in the Monday Night Wars - January 4, 1999.

UPCOMING EVENTS

ECW Guilty as Charged - January 10, 1999

WCW Souled Out - January 17, 1999

1999 WWF Royal Rumble - January 24, 1999
-30 Man Royal Rumble Match
Winner gets a shot at the World Wrestling Federation Championship at Wrestlemania XV
Participants: 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin, Vince McMahon
Old 10-21-14, 09:10 AM   #3
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We'll likely be getting back to this tomorrow. Been a little under the weather this week.
Old 10-23-14, 12:12 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by argh923 View Post
We'll likely be getting back to this tomorrow. Been a little under the weather this week.
Surely the January 4th, 1999 episode of Nitro will turn that frown upside-down
Old 10-23-14, 02:39 PM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWF RAW is WAR - 1.4.99
DCU Center - Worcester, MA
Commentary:
Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, The Rock, Mankind

-We start with a video package recapping the career of Shawn Michaels. About two minutes into it, Vince McMahon is heard yelling to "get that sentimental crap off the Titantron", and the Corporation comes out to the ring. Vince says Shawn Michaels will not be here tonight. Shawn Michaels shows up backstage on the Titantron, and heads out to the entrance ramp. Shawn says the sheriff is back in town, and this time, he brought the cavalry with him - and out comes D-Generation X! Michaels says his contract as Commissioner is iron clad, as Vince McMahon himself said on national television that Michaels answered to no one, including Vince McMahon. That's a bit of a stretch, but...okay. Michaels says the only way he would be incapable of being the WWF Commissioner is if he would resign, and there's no way in hell that's ever going to happen. (Spoiler alert: he's not the Commissioner anymore.) Shawn throws to footage of Vince McMahon drawing his lottery number for the Royal Rumble, and saying "I just hope it's number two". Michaels reminds Vince that he has the say over all WWF competitiors with the exception of Steve Austin, and when Vince entered the Rumble, he became a WWF competitor. Michaels says Vince will not be #30 in the Royal Rumble - he will enter #2! Michaels says that sometime within the next two hours, he'll leave this building and get Vince a surprise - one that will drive him "Stone Cold Crazy".
-Ken Shamrock v. Steve Blackman. Dan Severn comes down and gets on the ring apron, but Shamrock slugs him - Billy Gunn then runs out and hits the Fameasser on Shamrock, and Blackman pins him.
-Shamrock & Gunn are brawling backstage now.
-Mankind comes to the ring. He says within the last couple of weeks, he grabbed a man's testicles for the first time in his life (Pat Patterson), and says in a rugged manly way, he liked it. He says it's also the first time that Mick Foley has ever said the words "suck it" without the word please in front of it. He says his new hobby is kicking the McMahons' asses, and asks Vince for a favor - he wants to face The Rock at the Royal Rumble for the WWF Championship. He says he deserves it, not because he made Shane McMahon whimper like a two year old with poop in his pants or because he beat up Vince McMahon. He says he sees a lot of signs saying that Foley is God - he says Foley isn't God, but he's pretty damn good, and he deserves a rematch against The Rock. He asks the ring announcer if he can say ass on television, and then tells Vince to get his ass out here.
-Vince comes out, and says Mankind is a disillusioned, decrepit, disfigured monster. He says Mankind's name even remotely connected with the WWF Title stains the name of the World Wrestling Federation, and that he should've listened to Vince before instead of the crowd. He says Mankind has put his body through pain just for the roar of the crowd, and calls it pathetic, but Mankind says he likes that roar. Vince says he soiled the McMahon name when he put his filthy hands on Shane, and says he doesn't deserve to be the #1 contender. Vince says he'll never get a title shot again, but he'll give him a chance to enter the Royal Rumble if he can beat Triple H tonight...with Shane McMahon as the referee. He says whomever wins will be in the Royal Rumble.
-Chyna is backstage talking to...he or her, whoever was with her last night on Heat. Still not sure what that's about.
-Mark Henry v. Goldust. Chyna and the "girl" show up, and Goldust hits Shattered Dreams, but gets disqualifed for it.
-Chyna comes to the ring with her friend, and says she has something she needs Mark to listen to. She says the other night with Henry was incredible, but she's afraid she's not enough woman for him - he's way too much man for one woman. She introduces him to her friend "Sammy", and says they can help him take a load off his mind together. Henry faints. That's...dumb.
-There's a video of Dennis Knight in some sort of dungeon, hanging from chains. Weirrrrrd.
-The Godfather v. Test. Test comes out to the goofiest Western-style entrance theme ever. So strange.
-Lawler is actually trying to figure out what Michaels could mean by a "stone cold surprise". Stupid.
-Val Venis comes to the entrance to watch the match, which ends in a double countout. Val runs down, and he and Test brawl.
-Shawn Michaels and DX are backstage together goofing off. This was a strange, abrupt turn for Michaels. Almost seems like a swerve...
-Shane McMahon comes to the ring.
-Triple H v. Mankind, with the winner getting into the Royal Rumble. Triple H does a sunset flip, but Mankind grabs the ropes - Shane kicks Mankind's hands off the ropes and makes a quick three count to give Hunter the win.
-Triple H takes the mic after the match and apologizes to Mankind, saying business is business, and when it comes to the WWF Title, he'll take a win any way he can get it. He wishes Mankind a happy New Year, and then delivers a Pedigree to Shane McMahon, and says "He's alllllll yours."
-Mankind grabs Shane and puts him in an armbar, and tells him he'll break his goddamn shoulder as Shane screams. Vince comes out, and Mankind blackmails him into giving him a title shot tonight instead of at the Royal Rumble. Mankind says that's not good enough, and wants it to be a no DQ match. Vince agrees, and Mankind finally lets him go. Mankind leaves through the crowd, and The Rock comes down and yells at Vince, saying he doesn't have his gear.
-Edge v. D'Lo Brown. PMS come down to the ring, and Terri is holding her stomach. She climbs on the ring apron but then falls and starts screaming, and gets stretchered out as the match is thrown out. Miscarriage angle, and ugh it's awful.
-Terri sounds like a dying hyena.
-Back in the locker room, the doctor tells her the baby has no heartbeat. Sigh.
-Shane McMahon & Vince come out with Kane as well as Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco. Shane announces a handicap match tonight with Kane facing...Patterson & Brisco. Shane calls it payback, and Vince reminds them that everyone who was remotely repsonsible for Shane being attacked had to pay, and tells Kane to make them pay.
-Kane v. Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco. Patterson hilariously offers Kane a cigarette and a condom as a bribe. This is hilarious, take a look:

-Kane pretty much slaughters the stooges, and then grabs Shane by the throat. Vince threatens him, saying "he's going back", and Kane lets him go. Vince declares Kane the winner.
-Al Snow v. The Road Dogg for the WWF Hardcore Championship. Al Snow is STILL wearing the bloody clothes. They fight all the way outside, and into the snow. Road Dogg hits a piledriver onto a wooden pallet, and retains the title.
-The Acolytes are standing in front of some door, and Dennis Knight is apparently on the other side, screaming.
-Backstage, Michaels is leaving to get the surprise. Triple H hugs him and looks somber, and Michaels tells him it's not a big deal, he'll be right back. As Michaels leaves, Hunter says, "Maybe, maybe not" and X-Pac says "What goes around comes around."
-Outside, Michaels can't get into his car, saying Hunter gave him the wrong keys. He knocks on the door, but someone behind him says "Hey Shawn" and he turns around...
-....back from commercial, and Michaels is laying in a pool of his own blood. We see a face-sized hole in the windshield of the car, and we see footage of the Corporation attacking him before the cameraman gets knocked down. Michaels is put on a gurney and a neckbrace, and I assume he's done for awhile. Very effective...but they're not mentioning how DX and The Corporation basically worked together to get rid of Michaels. Interesting...
-Mankind v. The Rock in a no DQ match for the World Wrestling Federation Championship. DX walks to the ring behind Mankind, and The Corporation comes down with The Rock, making this almost like a lumberjack match. Rock has his tracksuit on.
-Rock brawls with Mankind to ringside and does commentary during the match, saying he's checking Mankind into the Smackdown Hotel. Mankind fires back, and HE gets on commentary, and says he's looking real good and showing a lot of testicular fortitude. He turns around and the Rock blasts him in the head with the ring bell.
-Mankind puts Socko on The Rock, so Ken Shamrock runs in and blasts Mankind with a chair. Billy Gunn hits the ring, and everyone begins brawling...AND THE GLASS BREAKS! STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN does his BAMF walk to the ring and absolutely DRILLS the Rock in the head with a chairshot! He rolls Mankind on top of The Rock, and the referee counts 1....2.....3! Mankind wins the World Wrestling Federation Championship!
-Watch the clip below. My challenge to you - find me a louder pop in wrestling history than when that glass breaks and Austin comes out. In my mind that is the biggest pop in the history of wrestling. So awesome.

-Road Dogg asks for Mankind's music to be cut, and does his introduction of Mankind as the new WWF Heavyweight Champion of the Worrrrrrrrrrrld. Mankind tells Vince this feels pretty damn good, and Vince is furious. Mankind says at the risk of not sounding very cool, he'd like to dedicate the match to his two little ones at home and tells them daddy-o did it, and runs around in the ring as we fade out.
-AWESOME. AWESOME. AWESOME. One of the best moments in WWF history.

WCW Monday Nitro - 1.4.99
Georgia Dome - Atlanta, GA
Commentary:
Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Larry Zybsyko, Eric Bischoff, Bobby Heenan

-Schiavone tells us that Hollywood Hogan is here to talk to his fans. Sigh.
-Will I ever like another episode of Nitro again? Honest question. Is it ever any good from this point on?
-Some doofus and his drunk friends are having a Nitro Party in a skybox. Who cares seriously.
-Glacier v. Hugh Morrus. Morrus has his head shaved now. Jimmy Hart distracts Glacier, and Morrus hits No Laughing Matter for the win.
-Arn Anderson is walking into the arena along with the Flair family. Gene Mean is in the ring, and introduces Flair, who comes out with his family and the Horsemen. Dean Malenko is on crutches, and Tenay says he suffered an ankle injury last night, but it's just a sprain. Flair says for five years, a tyrant by the name of Eric Bischoff has hurt a lot of people. Flair demands that Bischoff come out and talk to the new President. Bischoff walks out, looking all sad. Flair tells Bischoff he's taken great pride over 5 years to try and make Flair look small, and humble him. Flair says it would be easy to fire him, but since Bischoff took Flair out of the main event, he'll make him work directly for Tony Schiavone on commentary instead. Flair sends Bischoff to commentary to replace Tenay - I can handle that. Flair then brings up Randy Anderson, and shows the footage of Bischoff firing him way back in early 1997. Flair asks for Randy Anderson to come to the ring, and he does, as Bischoff joins commentary - Schiavone hilariously tells him they're in segment 2 if he wants to follow along. Flair offers him his position back with WCW at double the salary, and Anderson accepts and hugs him. Flair thanks Diamond Dallas Page, and even Randy Savage, because he played a big part. He then books himself against Curt Hennig & Barry Windham at WCW Souled Out - he stresses that WCW is putting the event on, not the NWO. David Flair steps up and tells Ric he wants to be his partner at Souled Out. Ric says he's not ready for this, but Arn tells him he knows what he's doing. David says he's ready, and Ric hugs him and says alright.
-THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE END OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER. WCW won the war. This is when it should've stopped.
-Booker T v. Emery Hale. Schiavone tries to get Bischoff involved in commentary, but Bischoff refuses to even speak. Booker wins a squash match.
-Norman Smiley v. Chavo Guerrero Jr. Schiavone continues to try to goad Bischoff into participating - hilarious. Chavo wins with a sunset flip, and Smiley attacks him after the match.
-Horace Hogan v. Chris Benoit. Benoit wins with the Crippler Crossface.
-Backstage, a bunch of police officers are putting Goldberg under arrest - but of course, they don't tell him why. Explain that. He says he's not guilty, and goes on about all the things he does for this town. The cop tells him he's going downtown whether he likes it or not, and Goldberg says it'll take everything they have to take him downtown. They tell him he's still going to jail, and another cop tells him to calm down - he calls it defamation of character and says he has his whole life on the line here. The cop talks him into putting his hands behind his back, and they handcuff him. A huge group of cops take him out to the car, and Kevin Nash comes out yelling at the cops about it, saying he has a match with him tonight. We hear laughter, and Hollywood Hogan is standing across the street. Nash asks why he thinks it's funny, and Hogan says because he's a politician, and he agrees in the guilty serving their time, and walks into the arena.
-Sigh.
-Perry Saturn v. Chris Jericho. Larry & Tony trying to get Bischoff to speak on commentary is hilarious. Jericho puts the Liontamer on Saturn, and Scott Dickinson rings the bell and then leaves - Saturn didn't give up. This is the same referee that's had the issue with Saturn recently.
-Goldberg is booked at the police precinct across the street, and the charges are aggravated stalking. Apparently Elizabeth filed the charges - the cop hilariously says that "Elizabeth Lebetsky" filed the charges. Is that even her actual name? This is stupid. Goldberg says he's innocent.
-Elizabeth is interrogated. She says Goldberg follows her everywhere at the arenas, hotels, and the gyms.
-Eddie Guerrero is at some sort of LWO house party. Awful.
-Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio v. Juventud Guerrera & Psicosis in a Tornado match (all four men are legal). Kidman accidentally kicks Rey with a missile dropkick, and Psicosis hits a guillotine legdrop for the win. Bischoff is still not speaking.
-Goldberg owns the gym Elizabeth sees him at.
-Gene Mean is in the ring, and brings out Kevin Nash. Nash says Goldberg was screwed at Starrcade. Nash says he knows that Hogan is behind the bogus charges against Goldberg, and says it's real simple - he asks Ric Flair to book him against Hogan tonight, and he knows that Hogan's still under contract. He says to call it a warmup, since he knows he'll face Goldberg for the World Title at the end of the night. Flair comes out, and acknowledges that Nash is the champion. He knows since Liz is involved, Hogan is pulling the strings, and signs the match.
-The detectives are talking to Elizabeth again, and asking her to repeat her story. She says the last incident was at the Coke machine, and she was getting herself a Diet Pepsi, and he was wearing red tights. Inconsistencies.
-Mean Gene brings out Hollywood Hogan, who's back to using Voodoo Child. Hogan says he wanted to say goodbye to the fans tonight, but when he witnessed that "sexual deviant" Goldberg being escorted out tonight, it made him stick to his stomach. He says Nash has been starting rumors, saying that Hogan retired because he was afraid to face Nash. Hogan says Flair is running things now, and since Flair says he's going to wrestle, he owes his fans one more retirement match. He'll retire as the World Heavyweight Champion (first time it's even been mentioned that the belt would be on the line) and be the big bad wolf - then Hogan howls. Awfully.
-And then, it happens....

-Schiavone informs us that Cactus Jack "is gonna win their World Title. That'll put butts in the seats." Obviously you all know that about 500,000 people tuned away from Nitro to see that title win.
-Chris Jericho was backstage earlier today with Scott Dickinson, talking about how great a referee he is, and how Saturn should never have laid a hand on him.
-Scott Steiner & Buff Bagwell come to the ring to waste our time some more with a crappy promo.
-Scott Steiner v. Konnan for the WCW World Television Title. Schiavone starts ranting about Mick Foley winning the World Title again, and says "that's gonna be THEIR World Champion". He then asks Bischoff if he has something to say about that. Bischoff, of course, doesn't.
-Konnan goes for the Tequila Sunrise, but Buff Bagwell blasts him with the TV Title and Konnan gets the DQ win. Scott puts the Steiner Recliner on, and then smashes Konnan with a chair.
-Wrath comes to the ring, and is about to talk for the first time in months. Bischoff finally speaks, saying two words: "Goldberg's jailbait." Wrath says he's "piled" through the competition for the last six months like a runaway freight train, and the people want to see him drop the "thermo-nuclear Meltdown on the Dome", but he has no competition. He issues an open challenge, and out comes Bam Bam Bigelow.
-Wrath v. Bam Bam Bigelow. They end up brawling to the back, and both men are counted out. Well done, and should set up a big brawl for Souled Out.
-Detectives are back with Elizabeth, who's starting to stutter and change her story. They threaten her with perjury, and she starts stammering, saying she's mistaken and it wasn't Bill, because a lot of bald headed wrestlers look alike. She feels like she cost Bill Goldberg his title shot, and they allow her to leave.
-Brian Adams v. Diamond Dallas Page. DDP wins with the Diamond Cutter.
-Is the Giant done in WCW now?
-The police release Goldberg. He wants them to take him to the Georgia Dome.
-Michael Buffer is here, of course.
-Hollywood Hogan v. Kevin Nash for the WCW World Heavyweight Title. Scott Steiner comes to the ring with Hogan, and Kevin Nash stops at the entrance and points back, as Scott Hall comes out in a Wolfpack shirt. That should've been the first clue, since Nash was supposedly angry with Nash for hitting Goldberg with the Taser.
-Nash shoves Hogan into the corner. Hogan comes out and cocks back to slug Nash, and then very slowly pokes him in the chest. Nash drops like a sack of bricks, Hogan covers him, and Hollywood Hogan is once again...sigh...the WCW World Heavyweight Champion. Bischoff instantly starts rambling about Hogan on commentary. Goldberg shows up and hits a spinning kick on Scott Steiner, and then flattens Hall & Nash. He spears Hogan, and Lex Luger runs down and takes out Hall, but then blindsides Goldberg - so obviously Luger is in the new New World Order as well. They handcuff Goldberg to the ropes, and Hall Tases him. Hogan spraypaints his back with red spraypaint, and Hall Tases him again. Hogan spraypaints the WCW Title with "NWO" once again, but this time with red spraypaint, and we go off the air.

-.....sigh.

WCW Thunder - 1.7.99
Richmond Coliseum - Richmond, VA
Commentary:
Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, Mike Tenay

-No Lee Marshall this week, apparently.
-On Nitro, a bunch of Atlanta Falcons ran out and chased the NWO out, and Goldberg called Kevin Nash out.
-Gene Mean brings out Ric Flair, who talks about tradition, and says Kevin Nash let the world down. Flair blames himself for the match taking place, and calls out Steiner, Hall, Buff, Nash, Hogan, and Lex Luger - he tells Luger he has everything in life going for him except for leadership skills and guts. He references Eric Bischoff's in commentary, and wants Bischoff in his office tomorrow morning with Dr. Harvey Schiller and Ted Turner.
-The Cat v. Perry Saturn. Chris Jericho comes out and pulls the referee out of the ring, and Scott Dickinson runs out and makes a fast count in favor of the Cat, screwing Saturn again.
-A limousine arrives backstage, and The Giant (guess that answers that? surely he is done soon?) & Curt Hennig are waiting along with the NWO scrubs. Lex Luger, Scott Steiner, Hollywood Hogan, Scott Hall & Kevin Nash step out of the limo, and they're all wearing red and black NWO shirts. Giant is upset, asking Hogan what's going on - Hogan asks them to watch for Goldberg, and they'll regroup in a few minutes. Hennig leaves with them - Buff Bagwell is there too.
-Psicosis v. Billy Kidman for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship. Juventud Guerrera comes down to interfere, and Rey Mysterio runs down to make the save. The NWO - not the minor guys, just the ones who arrived in the limo - then come down and destroy everyone. Nash rips the LWO shirt off Psicosis and Hall uses the Tazer on Psicosis. Nash calls his match with Hogan the match of the century, and a classic match. Hogan takes the mic, and says he was lucky to pull off the win against Nash, calling him his toughest challenge. He says they're going to take everything back they've lost, and says he's proud to be around such an elite group of gentlemen. He calls Goldberg a coward. The Giant and the rest of the "B Team" come down to the ring, and Hogan invites them in, but Giant is still upset, wanting to know what the deal is. Hogan says this is just a timing thing, and they needed to get the LWO taken care of. Hogan says he loves Norton, Vincent, and those guys, but he has a problem with the Giant. He says Giant was suckered by the Macho Man and dropped the ball, and he's the reason Ric Flair is running WCW for 90 days. He says they're trimming the fat in the NWO, and now that Giant is jumping in his face, there's only room for one Giant in the NWO, and Big Sexy has never dropped the ball. Giant says he's the only giant in wrestling. Hogan says it's just business, and since this was all planned out and is all about business, if The Giant can beat Kevin Nash, he can have Nash's spot. He asks Nash and Giant if this is okay with them, and they both agree. Hogan says the match will happen on Monday, and that the Wolfpack is definitely in the house.
-NOW I'm guessing The Giant is done, after Monday.
-Raven is arguing with some women in his family. Dumb.
-Jerry Flynn v. Bam Bam Bigelow. Bigelow wins in about 20 seconds, and Tony Schiavone speculates on where Konnan has been during all of this. How about Savage or Sting, Tony?
-Gene Mean brings out Barry Windham & Curt Hennig. Still confused as to whether or not these two are in the NWO. They cut a promo on the Flairs for their Souled Out match.
-Gene Mean is backstage, and Juventud Guerrera is terrified. He's heading out of the arena, and is worried about Eddie and the Wolfpack.
-So is it the NWO or the Wolfpack? Sigh.
-The Disco Inferno v. Chavo Guerrero. Norman Smiley comes out and grabs Pepe, and distracts Chavo long enough for Disco to get the win with the Chartbuster.
-Schiavone announces that Ric Flair has declared a tournament will be held to crown new WCW World Tag Team Champions. Good, because the Tag Team Titles are a disaster right now.
-Super Calo & Lizmark Jr v. Fit Finlay & Dave Taylor. Apparently this is a first round tag team tournament match. Finlay & Taylor win, and then the NWO comes down and demolishes everyone involved, and Hall says tradition bites. The Outsiders were never defeated for the tag team titles, and so the tournament will not be happening.
-LaParka v. Booker T. Booker hits the Harlem Sidekick into the chair for the win. Tenay says Nitro will be THE BIGGEST NITRO EVAR!!!!!!!!!
-More Raven bickering with his family. A family friend, "Jim", shows up, acting very effiminate and hugging and kissing Raven's mother and grandmother - I'm almost positive this is The Sandman. Sandman didn't go to WCW, though, right? Surely not? Please tell me I'm wrong about this...
-Oh geez, I think he is. "Jim" is talking about his family, and he mentions his nine year old son "Tyler" - that's the Sandman's kid. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
-Chris Jericho & Ralphus come out. We cut away to backstage where LaParka is laid out, with "NWO" spraypainted on his "LWO" shirt, and a "spraypainted chalk outline" around him.
-Chris Jericho v. Konnan. Konnan doesn't mention anything regarding the NWO at all. Jericho uses brass knucks, but Saturn runs down and pulls Scott Dickinson out of the ring. Konnan hits a bulldog on Jericho, and Saturn runs in and makes a quick three count as Jericho throws a tantrum.
-Barry Windham v. Chris Benoit. Curt Hennig comes down and interferes, but gets the Crippler Crossface - Windham kicks him in the head while he has it on, and gets the win. What a lame finish. Steve McMichael runs out and makes the save as we go off the air.

UPCOMING EVENTS

ECW Guilty as Charged - January 10, 1999

-Ric Flair & David Flair v. Curt Hennig & Barry Windham

Winner gets a shot at the World Wrestling Federation Championship at Wrestlemania XV
Announced Participants: 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin (#1), Vince McMahon (#2), Triple H
WWF Championship Match: The Rock v. Mankind (c)
Old 10-27-14, 07:57 AM   #6
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, you are correct about the Giant, especially since he's only 5 weeks away from debuting in the WWF.

Ahhh the days before the 90 day no compete clause.

Yes, Sandman was in WCW...but this gimmick was dropped before it debuted. Instead, he basically came in as The Sandman...except for the fact that he couldn't use that name. So he went by the name Hak, or Hardcore Hak.
Old 10-27-14, 12:10 PM   #7
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It should be strange to see Sandman smashing beers on Nitro.

Picking back up tomorrow with Sunday Night Heat & Guilty as Charged!
Old 10-28-14, 02:57 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWF Sunday Night Heat - 1.10.99
Freeman Coliseum - San Antonio, TX
Commentary:
Kevin Kelly, Shane McMahon, The Blue Meanie

-Apparently this episode of Heat is live.
-Tony Chimel (ugh) introduces "Mr. McMahon and Shane". Seriously. That's how he introduces them. Awful.
-Vince says he will not dignify the "living nightmare" of Mankind being the WWF Champion tonight, and tomorrow night, he will take action against the WWF Champion. Shane shows footage of Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco being destroyed by Kane, and tells them to never let anything happen to him again. Vince says Shawn Michaels - hometown hero - is unable to be here tonight, and Vince did what he had to do. Still no mention of D-Generation X & The Corporation working together to oust Michaels. I know where this is building, I think, and I like the idea that they're not mentioning it...it'll make sense in a couple of months.
-Vince says that he warned Michaels not to show up, but Michaels showed up with Triple H, and Triple H then put his hands on Shane. Thought he was going to mention it for a moment, but nope. Vince guarantees that Triple H will pay "hard time" tonight. Vince then says he had nothing to do with Michaels' beating on Monday, and that it was the act of overzealous corporate members - but nonetheless, he'd warned Michaels. He says Michaels will undergo surgery on Tuesday (I'm assuming back surgery again). Vince says if Michaels were here, he'd apologize to his face, but then spots Jose Lothario (!) in the crowd, and asks him to come in the ring to replace Michaels. Lothario hasn't been seen since the 1997 Royal Rumble. Jose refuses to accept Vince's apology, and tells him he sucks, so the stooges attack Lothario.
-We get another Lion's Den match tonight - the structure is next to the Titantron. So I guess Summerslam wasn't the only one.
-Michael Cole interviews Al Snow & The Blue Meanie backstage - Meanie rambles about hearing voices and the memory of the Brood dumping blood on Snow.
-Christian v. Al Snow. The Blue Meanie hops on commentary. He should NEVER speak. Goldust comes down and steals Head (why?), and Christian wins with the Killswitch.
-Cole interviews Sable in a pretape at the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Cole asks if she will defend the WWF Women's Championship at the Royal Rumble against Luna Vachon, and Sable confirms she will.
-Steve Blackman v. Owen Hart in the Lion's Den match, with Dan Severn watching from above as the special referee. Blackman ends up with Owen in his own Sharpshooter, and Severn runs down...and attacks Blackman, turning heel. He rips off the neck brace and slaps a dragon sleeper on Blackman, and then he and Owen leave.
-Blackman is throwing a tantrum backstage.
-The Headbangers v. Golga & Kurrgan for the "Tag Team Championship of the Universe". Seriously, they even announce the match as that. Sigh. George 'The Animal' Steele is still around as well. Oddities win.
-Blackman catches up to Severn in the parking lot, but Severn gets in a car and speeds away.
-A viginette on the life and career of Mick Foley.
-Triple H v. The Big Bossman. Bossman ambushes Triple H during his entrance, and throws him into the Lion's Den - so we have two Lion's Den matches in one show, after only having had one ever prior. Shane leaves the announce table during the match, as Triple H takes control. Shane climbs to the top of the Den and tosses the nightstick to the Bossman, who beats Triple H with it. This isn't even an official match, as there's no referee. Shane climbs in and helps the Bossman attack. DX, Kane, and the Corporation all come out, and it turns into a big brawl inside the Den between the two factions, before Brisco and Patterson get Shane out.

ECW Guilty as Charged - 1.10.99
Millennium Theatre - Kissimmee, FL
Commentary:
Joey Styles

-Paul Heyman opens the show, thanking fans backstage for the fans purchasing the event. He says the card is going to be changed - Masato Tanaka will not face Rob Van Dam for the ECW TV Title, and Jerry Lynn has a fractured pelvis and cannot compete against Lance Storm tonight. He says the deck will be shuffled, but doesn't say how. Thanks Paul!
-Joey Styles is in the ring to start the show, as usual.
-Little Guido & Tracey Smothers v. Danny Doring & Roadkill. It's like there's some unwritten law that the FBI has to open every single ECW PPV. There's some guy with the FBI waving an Italian flag who looks vaguely like the fake Razor Ramon, named "Sal Graziano".
-Axl Rotten & Balls Mahoney randomly make a full ring entrance during the match, and it suddenly becomes a triple threat match. Okay.
-Balls & Axl get the win over the FBI. Snoozer.
-Terry Funk mumbles a promo directed at Tommy Dreamer - I'm assuming they face each other tonight. Nope - Styles is stating that Funk's new protege is Justin Credible, and they will meet in a "Stairway to Hell" match, whatever that is.
-Super Crazy v. Yoshihiro Tajiri. TAJIRI! Man I love Tajiri. He looks strange without a beard though. Pretty solid match, although a bit of a spotfest - Tajiri wins with a dragon suplex.
-John Kronus - formerly of the Eliminators - comes to the ring for a match. Jeff Jones - the former referee, dressed as a judge - comes down, and says that he's now Judge Jeff Jones, and says President Clinton & OJ Simpson are guilty as charged. Get it? He says Kronus steps in his courtroom tonight to face charges brought against him, as last week, Kronus attacked him. Jones says he is the judge and jury, and finds him guilty as charged. Tonight, Kronus will face his executioner, who's a little bit psycho, and is here to deal out his special brand of Justice. No way...Jones says "He is the MAN", and OUT COMES SID!!! HOLY CRAP. Sid gets a huge pop from the crowd. He hits the ring, throws Kronus out of the ring and through a table, and then hits the powerbomb in the ring for the huge squash. SID SID SID SID SID
-Taz will face Shane Douglas for the ECW World Heavyweight Title tonight. It's about time Douglas defends the freaking belt.
-Supposedly Taz broke Sabu's neck (again) last month at the ECW Arena. I'm guessing this one was a work. Apparently Taz then forfeited the "FTW Title" to Sabu and became the #1 contender for the ECW World Heavyweight Title. Not sure how that makes sense, but that's okay.
-The Dudley Boyz are here - and more importantly, JOEL GERTNER IS HERE! Or I should say, "every female's top tourist destination, the man whose crotch is truly the happiest place on Earth, and the man who just last night helped Daisy Duck fulfill her dream, as she took one for the team, as I made her squeal and scream and filled her full of cream, it is I, the bacon in her eggs, the man for whom she begs, and the face between her legs, the quintessential and original stud muffin, and a lord have mercy goddamn handsome man, Joel 'I shoot out a full condom filla and it tastes like vanilla' Gertner."
-....i love Joel Gertner.
-Anyway, Bubba Ray Dudley issues an open challenge to any tag team, and out comes the hodgepodge team of Spike Dudley & New Jack.
-The Dudley Boyz v. Spike Dudley & New Jack. Dudleys win with the 3D on Spike. Just a brawl. They drop Spike & New Jack with multiple 3Ds after the match.
-Bubba Ray Dudley says they've defeated every tag team in ECW, and there's only one team left to beat - they call out The Public Enemy for Saturday, January 16, at ECW House Party. So obviously the Public Enemy are done in WCW.
-Lance Storm - with "Tammy Lynn Bytch" (Dawn Marie) - comes out, who was supposed to face Spike Dudley tonight. He says Spike already received the beating he was supposed to give him, and he already cracked Jerry Lynn's pelvis, so now he's free for bigger things. He says the only thing better than being from Calgary, Alberta, Canada, is being from Calgary and having a championship belt around his waist. Storm issues an open challenge to Rob Van Dam, and of course, RVD answers.
-Are we supposed to care that Storm is from Calgary? Is that part of his gimmick?
-Lance Storm v. Rob Van Dam for the ECW World Television Championship. Good match - full of Van Dam no-selling, but that's par for the course. RVD wins with a bridged German suplex to retain the title.
-Justin Credible - with Nicole Bass, Jason & Jazz - v. Tommy Dreamer in a "Stairway to Hell" match. There's a ladder at ringside, and a Singapore cane suspended from the top - so I guess it's a ladder match, with the person getting the cane being able to use it?
-Not a fan of Credible, personally...I don't see what all the hype was about. Funk comes out and hits Tommy with a trash can after he secures the cane, and Credible hits That's Incredible for the win.
-Funk attacks Dreamer after the match, but he just covers up and doesn't defend himself.
-"Steven Prazak" interviews Taz backstage. The guy just tells Taz "tonight's the night", and Taz berates him before kicking him out and cutting a promo on Shane Douglas.
-Taz v. Shane Douglas for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship. They brawl through the building for about a hundred years before finally getting into the ring. Underwhelming. Lights go out for a bit, and pyro (yes! Pyro in ECW!) hits at the entrance as Sabu's music hits, and Sabu charges the ring. So much for that "broken neck". Sabu attacks both Douglas and Taz, and Sabu puts them both through tables. Douglas covers Taz, but only gets a two count, and here come Chris Candido & Tammy Lynn Sytch. Candido attacks Douglas, officially dissolving the Triple Threat, and Taz hits the Tazplex and Tazmission to become the new ECW World Heavyweight Champion - and presumably set up Sabu/Taz II at the next PPV.
-Decent show. Nothing too great though.

UPCOMING EVENTS

ECW House Party - January 16, 1999
-The Dudley Boyz v. The Public Enemy

Announced Participants: 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin (#1), Vince McMahon (#2), Triple H
WWF Championship Match: The Rock v. Mankind (c)
WWF Women's Championship: Luna Vachon v. Sable (c)
Old 10-29-14, 02:54 PM   #9
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWF RAW is WAR - 1.11.99
Compaq Center - Houston, TX
Commentary:
Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, Shane McMahon

-DX kicks off the show on the entrance ramp. Road Dogg does the New Age Outlaws intro, but modifies it to introduce Mankind, who comes out to his new entrance theme:

-Vince McMahon, Shane McMahon & The Rock are looking on backstage in disgust. Mankind takes the mic, and says it's about damn time he got some new entrance music. Mankind says last week was the greatest moment in his fifteen year career. He tells a story about calling the WWF repeatedly throughout his career, but never getting a phone call returned. Years later, he was told "Mick Foley did not look like a star". Mankind thanks the one person who knew he was a star, and hired him - Jim Ross (that's a shoot, as JR has mentioned hiring him on The Ross Report recently). He tells JR to get better soon, as he wants JR to call a Mankind WWF Championship match. He says he reviewed the videotape and realizes he didn't win the title on his own, and thanks DX for watching his back, as well as Stone Cold Steve Austin. He says he has one dream left, and that's to wrestle in the main event at Wrestlemania (never happened, I believe), and he wants to wrestle Steve Austin at Wrestlemania.
-Enter The Rock! Shane & Vince walk out with The Rock, and Shane calls Mankind a disgrace. Shane says there will be a Corporate Royal Rumble tonight, with members of DX and the Corporation competing - the winner will become the #30 entrant in the Royal Rumble. The Rock takes the mic. Rock says Mankind never beat the Rock for the Rock's WWF Title, but instead needed help from the biggest piece of Texas trailer park trash that ever walked god's green earth. The Rock says Austin's day is coming, but in the meantime, it makes him sick to see Mankind standing in The Rock's ring with The Rock's WWF Title. Rock says Mankind's outfit cost about eight cents, and that the people want the Rock as the WWF Champion, and NEED the Rock as the WWF Champion. He says the millions...and millions of The Rock's fans want him as champ, using that line for the first time. He says the least that Mankind's unworthy ass can do is give The Rock a shot at his title at the Royal Rumble. Mankind says The Rock is right about a lot of things, but he's already beaten The Rock's ass twice, and there's no third try - he's simply not championship material. Rock then demands a no DQ match - Mankind says that what the Rock is cooking smells bad, and that they've already done it, and Mankind beat him in it. Rock adds a no countout stipulation, but Mankind says no again. Rock tells Mankind to know his role and shut his mouth, and says no member of Team Corporate will be at ringside. Mankind tells Rock to check himself into the Smackdown Hotel, and walk his monkey ass to the corner of Know Your Role Blvd & Jabronie Drive, because he gets no title shot. Rock tells him to take Mr. Socko and stick it between his legs, because there's obviously nothing there - Mankind gets upset about this, and says one day he'll pull out Mr. Socko, but he'll stick him between Rock's legs, where the sun doesn't shine, to get a good idea of what The Rock is cooking. The Rock says he quits in trying to - and Mankind interrupts, saying he accepts. Rock is confused, and Mankind says he accepts the match he just proposed - an "I Quit" match. Mankind says there will be no DQ, no countout, no corporate interference, no stopping the match for excessive blood loss, no knockouts. He says he will make Rock look up at him with that ridiculous eyebrow and say "I Quit". Vince McMahon takes the mic, and says Mankind may not even be the champion in two weeks - tonight, he'll defend the WWF Championship against Kane. Rock is not happy, and Mankind mocks the Rock's catchphrase, saying "if you smell what the Sock is cooking".
-That was a 21 minute promo.
-Steve Austin has arrived backstage.
-The New Age Outlaws v. Jeff Jarrett & Owen Hart, with the winners facing The Big Bossman & Ken Shamrock for the WWF Tag Team Championship at an unannounced date.
-Michael Cole announces that "Gillberg" will debut next. YES!
-Debra tries to distract Billy Gunn, who tells her to suck it. She goes to distract Chyna, and it actually works for a moment, and Owen Hart pins the Road Dogg inside the ring to become the #1 contenders.
-Backstage, some security officers knock on Gillberg's door to let him know it's time. We get a knock-off of Goldberg's music, complete with Gillberg mocking him, and a horribly piped-in chant of "Gillberg". This debut is awesome.

Gillberg Raw Debut by 2kdam
-Gillberg asks the crowd "who's first" - Luna Vachon runs down, and says she is first.
-Gillberg v. Luna Vachon. Luna wins with a splash from the top. A female "fan" that I don't recognize runs in and attacks Luna, and then is escorted out. Any idea who it is?
-Back from commercial, and Dennis Knight is standing at the commentary table panicking, rambling about "he is here" and all of that. The Acolytes come down and take him away.
-Val Venis comes to the ring, and hits on a fan in the front row. Ken Shamrock runs down and annihilates Val. He yells at the woman, and tells Val "you don't mess with my sister", introducing Ryan Shamrock to us. Billy Gunn comes down, and says his sister may have liked that, but she's damn sure gonna like this, and moons her. Shamrock runs down and attacks him - Val Venis & The Big Bossman get involved in the brawl, and Shamrock tells Gunn he'll get his title shot at the Royal Rumble.
-Mankind & Steve Austin are talking in the back.
-X-Pac v. Al Snow for the WWF European Championship. Goldust comes out and hits Al Snow with Head, and Pac gets the win. Again, no clue what's going on with Goldust & Snow.
-Backstage, Vince orders Kane to win the WWF Championship tonight.
-Kane v. Mankind for the WWF Championship. The Rock comes down and shoves Kane away and tees off on Mankind with a chair, causing the DQ. He lays Kane out with a chair as well...AND THEN THE GLASS BREAKS. Austin comes out, and Rock has the chair, inviting Austin into the ring, but then Mankind runs him off, and Austin accidentally bumps into Mankind. Austin grabs the chair from Mankind, and drops him with a Stunner - then hits one on Kane for good measure.
-Backstage, Vince McMahon is yelling at The Rock. Rock says he's not going to let the Big Red Retard get the Rock's belt, and at the Royal Rumble, he'll make that son of a bitch Mankind scream "I Quit".
-Triple H v. Edge. Triple H wins with the Pedigree. The Brood run out and attack DX, and the lights go out - when they come back on, the Road Dogg has been given a Bloodbath.
-The Undertaker sacrifices Dennis Knight, and reveals the Acolytes to be part of the Ministry of Darkness. Seriously, I'm not really even sure how else to describe it. Just watch. (the video has the clips from last week with Knight in the "dungeon" as well as the earlier ordeal at commentary in front of it as well)

-At least Paul Bearer looks normal again. And now we have MIDEON.
-D'Lo Brown comes to the ring - with PMS, which is weird. D'Lo says he's here to apologize to Terri, and didn't mean to cause her any harm. He said he would do anything she wanted him to, but not this, because it's wrong. Terri plays the sympathy card, and D'Lo says let's get this over with.
-D'Lo Brown v. Mark Henry. So fighting Henry is the deal here. Jackie shoves D'Lo into Mark Henry, and Terri hits a low blow on Henry. Chyna and "Sammy" come out and get Henry out of dodge.
-Vince McMahon is training some more. He's chasing a chicken in the snow, saying this is stupid and that he's the CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Vince is also punching slabs of meat, a la Rocky IV. So funny.

-Corporate Royal Rumble time! Our first entrant is Ken Shamrock. Shane McMahon joins commentary, and Billy Gunn is #2. Shamrock knocks him off the ring apron (he never entered), and then eliminates himself to pound on Gunn.
-#3 is the Big Bossman, who helps Shamrock attack Billy.
-#4 is supposed to be the Road Dogg, but Test comes out instead, and he and the Big Bossman work over Billy Gunn.
-#5 is X-Pac. Test eliminates Billy Gunn.
-#6 is the Road Dogg.
-#7 is Kane, who eliminates the Road Dogg instantly.
-#8 is Triple H, who is supposed to be the last participant. Test accidentally hits Kane, and Kane dumps him out. X-Pac and Triple H team up to clothesline Kane out of the ring, and the Big Bossman knocks X-Pac out, leaving two. There's a countdown going though, so we have a ninth participant...
-#9 is VINCE MCMAHON, who looks HUGE. Someone's on the needle diet! Triple H wants Vince, but the Bossman decks him from behind and tries to eliminate him. Vince sneaks up from behind and eliminates both, and rips his shirt off, Hulk Hogan style, as your winner of the Corporate Royal Rumble! But wait, DX's music hits...
-#10 is CHYNA! Patterson & Brisco try to restrain her, but she knocks both of them out, and then STEVE AUSTIN'S music hits! Austin hits the apron, and Vince goes after him, but Austin drops back down, and CHYNA HITS THE RING AND DUMPS HIM OVER THE TOP ROPE! AWESOME. Chyna wins the Corporate Royal Rumble!
-This was VERY entertaining. Watch for yourself!

WCW Monday Nitro - 1.11.99
Thompson-Boling Arena - Knoxville, TN
Commentary:
Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Larry Zybsyko, Bobby Heenan, Eric Bischoff

-Gene Mean brings Ric Flair into the ring to start the show. He says that Hogan is indeed the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, but he's signed until 2001, so he's not leaving for the White House or Hollywood, so he's working for WCW. ($10 says he doesn't defend the title at Souled Out.) Flair then reinstates Jojo Dillon. Ugh. Dillon announces that Hogan will have his first title defense at Superbrawl (told you!), and more information will come on that. Dillon announces the main event of Souled Out - Goldberg v. Scott Hall in a ladder match, with the cattle prod hanging above the ring.
-Flair then brings the Latino World Order to the ring, minus Eddie Guerrero. Where's Eddie? Is this when he had his car accident? Flair says Eddie is in the hospital with a broken leg, and believes the NWO has something to do with it. Flair asks them to ditch the LWO shirts and come back to WCW, and says he will give them money, cars, and women. They all ditch the LWO shirts. Well...that was odd. Flair then says he's going to wrestle tonight, and says he'll face Curt Hennig.
-Why in the world is Goldberg not instantly the #1 contender? #wcwlogic
-Schiavone points out that Rey Mysterio did NOT take the LWO shirt off, and walked away shaking his head.
-Schiavone also announces that Eric Bischoff has been relieved of his duties as an announcer, and has a new assignment, which will be revealed later.
-Gene Mean brings out Perry Saturn, because we don't have matches on a wrestling program, duh. Saturn says he has an impossible job here to follow Flair. He wants a rematch with Chris Jericho, and here comes Jericho. Jericho says he's beaten Saturn twice, and he's out here crying like a ten year old schoolgirl, and says he should be wearing a dress. Jericho then says he'll give Saturn a rematch at Souled Out, and when Jericho beats him, Saturn has to wear a dress for the rest of his career. Saturn declines, and Jericho says that's the only way he'll get a rematch, so Saturn bites.
-Saturn v. The Cat. Scott Dickinson comes out and tells Randy Anderson that Dillon wants him in the back, so Dickinson takes over the referee job. Jericho runs out with a shovel and hits Saturn, and Dickinson calls for the bell - and DQ's Saturn. Jericho then tries to put a dress on Saturn, but barely gets it on him.
-Footage of the meeting over the weekend with Ric Flair & Eric Bischoff. Bischoff pulls up to CNN Center, but can't even get into the building as his security card no longer has clearance. A new receptionist is there, and Bischoff's angry about that, and about having to wait for Flair. Bischoff rants about when he came to WCW and Flair & Jim Ross were running the company, and they couldn't get 400 people in a building. The receptionist finally leads Bischoff to Flair's office. Flair asks Bischoff about the announcing issues last week, and if he had anything to do with bringing the NWO back. Flair says he has plans for Hogan and Nash, but he's not telling those, and for the next 90 days, he's going to make Bischoff's life as miserable as possible. Flair tells Bischoff that starting now, he's going to be part of the ring crew, and setting the ring up for Nitro every week.
-Gene Mean brings out Chavo Guerrero. Chavo wishes Eddie well, and says he's praying for him. It's Pepe's birthday, and Chavo wants to sing him happy birthday. Gene Mean and Chavo sing it, and here comes Norman Smiley. Norman is upset about not having been invited to the party. Chavo doesn't want him here, but Norman apologizes and wants to shake Chavo's hand. Chavo refuses, but Pepe "tells him to do it"...and of course Norman attacks Chavo, and smashes Pepe's cake on him. Chavo chases him away, and Norman is riding Pepe out of the arena - Norman sees a shredder, and puts Pepe inside as Chavo howls.
-More crap at Raven's house. Awful. CAN WE EVER HAVE A MATCH PLEASE
-A bunch of bikers arrive backstage with a limousine, which the NWO members pop out of. The "NWO scrubs" aren't in it though, they're already here. Hollywood Hogan is yelling at them, saying they were supposed to meet them somewhere, or something. Hogan has the bikers follow the NWO to the ring. Stupid. This is taking FOREVER. Nash is talking but you can't even hear him because of the stupid bikes. Finally the bikes stop and Hogan talks. He says he'll face anyone Flair wants to throw at him. Nash says he'll prove tonight that he's the true Giant, and Scott Steiner challenges Diamond Dallas Page tonight, and says he'll take Kimberly for himself. This new NWO is...yawn.
-Where is Randy Savage? Where is Bret Hart? Where is Sting? WHERE IS WRESTLING
-Rey Mysterio Jr v. Kaz Hayashi. So the only LWO member who didn't want to be in the group now is the only one who will stay with the group? #wcwlogic
-Lex Luger comes out and takes out Kaz. He tells Rey to take the shirt off, but Rey refuses, so Luger attacks him and puts him in the Torture Rack. Konnan comes out, and Luger drops Mysterio. Konnan asks him what's going on, and says the Wolfpack doesn't ride like that - Mysterio's no threat and has no titles, and he's always looked out for Rey. The rest of the NWO comes out, and Luger says they don't do everything together. Nash mocks Konnan, saying "let me speak on this", and the NWO attacks Konnan, and Scott Hall hits him with the Tazer. Nash spraypaints him, and the crowd starts chanting for Sting, strangely enough.
-Gene Mean brings out The Giant, who says he may have gotten involved in the wrong things with the NWO. So this is the third time he's left the NWO. So dumb. He says he'll prove tonight he's the one and only Giant.
-Giant is breathing really heavy. He seems pretty out of shape at this point.
-Lenny Lane v. Booker T. Where is Stevie Ray? Forgot about that. Booker wins with the Harlem Sidekick.
-Hogan & Nash have a pre-filmed viginette, where they talk about their five star fingerpoke match.
-The bikers come out, and the Wolfpack music hits as Scott Steiner comes out. So I guess the white and black has been abandoned for the Wolfpack? Probably Hogan wanting to be in the "cool group" again.
-Scott Steiner v. Diamond Dallas Page. Heenan still hasn't came out for commentary, strange. Vincent runs down and shoves the referee, and Buff Bagwell throws powder. Vincent gets a Diamond Cutter, but Steiner hits Page with a chair and puts him in the Steiner Recliner for the win.
-Goldberg does a pre-recorded interview, and basically says he'll learn from his mistakes.
-Bischoff is shown working on the ring earlier in Nitro. Finally Heenan is on commentary.
-Scott Hall v. Bam Bam Bigelow. Strange match, with two heels. Hall conducts a survey, asking the fans if they want to see Goldberg shocked again. Fans cheer.
-Disco Inferno comes out with a Wolfpack shirt and a Tazer in his hand. Wrath comes down and shoves Bigelow, but Bigelow slugs him. Disco tosses the Tazer to Hall, and Hall hits Bigelow with it and gets the win.
-Apparently Bigelow has demanded a match with Wrath for Souled Out, and JJ Dillon has signed it.
-Curt Hennig v. Ric Flair. Hennig is coming out to the regular NWO theme - so does the NWO "B Team" use the regular NWO theme now? He's wearing a black and white singlet as well...strange. Barry Windham and David Flair are at ringside - Barry attacks David, but Ric makes the save. Ric gets Hennig in the Figure Four, but Windham runs in for the DQ. The Flairs rally and run the two off.
-Michael Buffer time.
-The Giant v. Kevin Nash. Giant comes out to the NWO theme, which is strange. Nash controls the majority of the match before Giant makes a comeback, and chokeslams Scott Hall. Nash finds a wrench hidden in the turnbuckle and knocks the Giant out with it, and makes the win - the announcers speculate that Bischoff hid the wrench there earlier. They spraypaint Giant and Taze him repeatedly, and then send him off to the WWF as Bischoff shows up on commentary and calls Nash the "Corporate Giant", which can't be a coincidence.

UPCOMING EVENTS

ECW House Party - January 16, 1999
-The Dudley Boyz v. The Public Enemy

Cattle Prod Ladder Match: Scott Hall v. Goldberg
Chris Jericho v. Perry Saturn
-If Saturn loses, he must wear a dress for the rest of his career
Bam Bam Bigelow v. Wrath

Announced Participants: 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin (#1), Vince McMahon (#2), Triple H, Chyna (#30)
WWF Championship I Quit Match: The Rock v. Mankind (c)
WWF Intercontinental Championship: 'Bad Ass' Billy Gunn v. Ken Shamrock (c)
Old 10-29-14, 05:44 PM   #10
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
He says he has one dream left, and that's to wrestle in the main event at Wrestlemania (never happened, I believe), and he wants to wrestle Steve Austin at Wrestlemania.
Well technically he does. He was part of the Main Event for Wrestlemania 2000 with the McMahon vs McMahon vs McMahon vs McMahon angle.
Old 10-31-14, 12:10 PM   #11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WCW Thunder - 1.14.99
Richmond Coliseum - Richmond, VA
Commentary:
Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Bobby Heenan

-Isn't there supposed to be a tag team championship tournament going on? Because it wasn't even mentioned on Nitro. Sigh.
-Tenay is calling the Tazer a "stun stick". Tenay is the most un-cool man on the face of this planet.
-Also, where is STAGGER LEE MARSHALL?
-Scott Putski v. Bam Bam Bigelow. Bigelow wins with Greetings from Asbury Park - after ten minutes of back and forth action. Man, have they dropped the ball with Bigelow after an awesome start.
-Norman Smiley v. Prince Iaukea, once again. Smiley wins, once again.
-Gene Mean brings out Jimmy Hart, who has reunited the Faces of Fear. Ugh.
-Chris Jericho v. Van Hammer. Saturn comes to ringside, but doesn't do anything, and Jericho wins with the Liontamer.
-The reunited Faces of Fear v. Bobby Duncum Jr & Mike Enos. This is a mysterious tournament match for the tag team championship, which I'm convinced is just a set of random matches, since we have yet to even see a bracket. The Wolfpack World Order come out, including Hogan, and attack everyone, and Hollywood Hogan once again says that this tournament won't be happening, and mocks Konnan for what happened on Monday.
-...but wait. This Thunder was taped BEFORE Monday. How in the world does that make sense???
-Kevin Nash says, once again, there won't be a tag team tournament.
-This match took WAY too long.
-Wrath v. El Dandy. Bam Bam Bigelow interferes, and he and Wrath brawl. Match is thrown out.
-The Disco Inferno v. Super Calo. Scott Hall comes out and hits Calo with the Tazer, and Disco hits the Chartbuster on him for the win. Hall takes the mic, and says the Wolfpack doesn't forget people who cross them or do them favors. He tells Disco that Hogan & Nash want to see him in the back, and Disco heads off. Hall cuts a promo on Goldberg, telling him to go down to Blockbuster Video and rent a couple of his ladder matches. (Note - Hall has never had a ladder match in WCW. )
-Barry Windham & Curt Hennig v. Chris Benoit & Steve McMichael. Hennig lays Benoit, Mongo, and the referee out with a chair, causing the DQ. Ric Flair runs out to make the save, but gets beat down, and David Flair runs out as the show fades out.

ECW House Party 99 - 1.16.99
ECW Arena - Philadelphia, PA
Commentary:
Joey Styles

-Danny Doring and Roadkill come to the ring to the Public Enemy's theme. Doring mocks Public Enemy, and gets a resounding chant of "Shut the f**k up". Spike Dudley interrupts, and we have our first match.
-Danny Doring v. Spike Dudley. Spike hits the Acid Drop on Doring onto Roadkill, and covers them both for the win.
-Steve Corino v. Chris Chetti. Corino comes out to "Come With Me" by Puff Daddy, which is the only song the man's ever had that I liked. More interesting - this is literally the first time I've ever so much as seen Steve Corino. I've heard of him but have never even seen a picture of the man.
-Chetti wins with a springboard moonsault. Corino was great here, constantly interacting with the crowd. Very impressed.
-Little Guido v. "Antifas Del Norte". Who in the world is this guy? Super Nova runs in and fights everyone, and Del Norte wins with a gordbuster.
-Super Crazy v. Yoshihiro Tajiri, in a Guilty as Charged rematch. Crazy wins with a spinning DDT.
-Justin Credible v. Tommy Dreamer, in another rematch. Lance Storm comes to the ring after the introductions, and says somebody had the nerve to tell him that the Dreamer/Credible match at Guilty as Charged was better than Storm's match with Rob Van Dam. Storm says he'll carry one of the men in the ring to the best match of their career. Dreamer tells him that "nobody really gives a f**k", and calls for a three-way dance. He runs down Jason's entourage, and says he's been here for five years and has "yet to see a decent set of tits". So for some reason Francine comes out at this point.
-Francine says for five years, the fans have been chanting for her to show them, and she's decided it's time - but Lance Storm covers her up and stops her from doing it.
-Justin Credible v. Tommy Dreamer v. Lance Storm. Jazz (I know that's not her name in ECW, but that's who it is, and she's "un-named" here) & Tammy Lynn Bytch attack Dreamer, but then end up fighting each other, and Dreamer rolls up Credible for the win, then hits a Russian legsweep with a Singapore cane on Storm for the win. Crappy match.
-Balls Mahoney & Axl Rotten v. Sabu & Rob Van Dam for the ECW World Tag Team Championship. Sabu & RVD both hit top rope legdrops on Balls through a table for the win, to retain the title. Axl & Balls are terrible.
-Chris Candido - with Tammy Lynn Sytch - v. Taz, for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship. Francine comes out before the match to yell at Candido, and SHANE DOUGLAS runs out and assaults Candido, hitting the Pittsburgh Plunge on the chair. A catfight breaks out between Francine and Sytch before Douglas holds Francine back, and orders Francine to the back. Douglas cuts a promo talking about the prestige of the ECW World Heavyweight Title, and asks Taz for a rematch. Taz's response? "Ring the f**king bell", and we have a rematch!
-Taz v. Shane Douglas for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship. Solid match - better than the Guilty as Charged match. They even brawl out into the streets. Taz wins with a Tazplex through a table.
-Douglas is in tears after the match - good selling, or is he on the way out? I'm guessing he's leaving, since the fans begin a chant of "PLEASE DON'T GO". Great, someone else for WCW to completely misuse.
-The Dudleys come to the ring. Bubba Ray Dudley tells D-Von they should've never gotten dressed tonight. Bubba tells the fans not to bother getting excited, because the Public Enemy didn't show up - and he says that's a shoot, they're really not here. The fans start to cheer, and Bubba tells them to shut up, because he doesn't want their applause. He says ECW didn't advertise the Public Enemy, and Styles didn't even put it over. Bubba references WCW Souled Out tomorrow night, and says the Public Enemy sold each and every one of the ECW fans out. Bubba says they're going home, no bullshit, and they leave.
-Well...that's disappointing, if true.
-Skull Von Crush - WHO?!?! - comes out. Judge Jeff Jones then comes out, declares him guilty as charged, and says tonight he will be executed by the man - AND HERE COMES SID.
-Skull Von Crush v. Sid. Sid destroys him with the same table spot/powerbomb from Guilty as Charged, and then hits a WICKED looking second powerbomb after the match.
-Joel Gertner comes out with Sign Guy Dudley, and says that Bubba Ray, D-Von, & Big Dick Dudley have left the building. Gertner announces that we will now be treated to GERTNERVISION. Gertner talks about 1995, when the Public Enemy were on top in ECW. This is actually one of Gertner's worst promos I've seen. Gertner says he wouldn't be saying any of these things if they were actually in the building, because Johnny Grunge would've already kicked his ass. Gertner is finally interrupted by the entrance music of the Public Enemy, and Joey Styles has a stroke, as he's so excited that Gertner is going to get destroyed. However...it's Bubba Ray & D-Von, coming out wearing Public Enemy jerseys and mocking their wave and moves. Bubba Ray Grunge is hilarious here, screeching at D-Von, and the crowd chants "Welcome back". I am dying.
-Either this is a GREAT swerve, or Heyman is just BURYING the Public Enemy. "Rocco D-Von" starts screaming about his back hurting, and Bubba Ray Grunge says it's because he's 90 years old. Bubba Ray then gets serious, saying this is the closest to seeing The Public Enemy as they'll ever come. He says they were afraid to show up because Bischoff might fire them, Vince might not fire them, and they might get hurt. Bubba says for once he's being serious with the people, and says they were afraid to come here because they didn't think the fans would welcome them back. Bubba says as one half of the greatest tag team of all time, if the Public Enemy were here tonight, the last voice they would hear would be the Dudleys, proclaiming that for the first and last time, the Public Enemy is dead. Bubba is GREAT here. Public Enemy's music hits again, as the Dudleys start to leave...BUT THE PUBLIC ENEMY HIT THE RING. AWESOME FREAKING SWERVE.
-GREAT segment. Watch the promo below:

Public Enemy returns to ECW by Stinger1981
-The Dudley Boyz v. The Public Enemy. This isn't really a match, and NEw Jack comes out to attack the Public Enemy. The Dudleys stand aside, but New Jack helps the Public Enemy clear the ring of the Dudleys, and TPE cut their typical crappy promo.

This was a better show than the PPV. That's not a good thing for ECW.

WWF Sunday Night Heat - 10.17.99
Montagne Center - Beaumont, TX
Commentary:
Kevin Kelly, Shane McMahon

-Vince McMahon & the Corporation come out to the ring to start Heat - minus The Rock. Vince says he came here to apologize, and introduces the most electrifying man in sports entertainment and the next WWF Champion, The Rock. The Rock accepts Vince's apology, but wants to know what he was thinking putting that Big Retarded Goof in a WWF Championship match. Kane steps forward, and The Rock tells him to know his role before he's sent back to the nuthouse. Vince says that tomorrow night, Mankind will compete in a non-title match against the Big Bossman. Vince gives Ken Shamrock the week off to train for his title defense at the Royal Rumble, but books Billy Gunn against Test tomorrow night. Vince confirms that Chyna is indeed #30, and Vince could've punched her lights out if he wanted to, but since she wants to enter a man's world, he'll face her tonight in an arm wrestling match. Shane is upset and leaves commentary to stand in the ring as Vince says he'll even cover up his 20" guns with a sweatshirt so she's not intimidated. Shane says not to shoot the messenger, but Shawn Michaels, who's at home recovering from surgery, just called in the main event for RAW - The Rock v. Kane.
-Tiger Ali Singh comes out and issues an open challenge to any American peasant. GILLBERG answers the challenge, and goes through his epic introduction. Gillberg loses. Tiger wasn't first!
-Michael Cole interviews Mark Henry, who says nothing happened with Chyna and "Sammy". He's angry.
-Shane is backstage, talking to Luna Vachon.
-Mark Henry comes out as Shane returns to commentary.
-Mark Henry v. 2 Cold Scorpio. Chyna comes out, and Henry is not happy to see her this time - Chyna wants to know what it's going to be, and says he has 24 hours to make a decision. Scorpio rolls him up from behind for the win.
-Edge & Gangrel v. Jeff Jarrett & Owen Hart. Kevin Kelly announces that during halftime of the Super Bowl, "Halftime Heat" will occur. No other details.
-Road Dogg comes out and attacks Gangrel on the outside, after getting the Bloodbath last week. Jarrett then rolls Edge up in the ring for the win.
-Goldust has Head backstage, with Goldust makeup on.
-The Godfather v. Goldust. Al Snow is at ringside, dressed up as one of the Hos. Godfather gets the win, and Snow falls because he can't walk in heels. This was weird.
-Vince McMahon v. Chyna in an arm wrestling contest. Shane gets in the ring, and says Vince doesn't need to do this because he's a gentleman - Vince agrees, but says he'll rip Chyna's arm out of the socket. Shane calls down Luna to substitute for Vince, which is just an incredibly stupid idea. Apparently Sable agrees, as she runs out and attacks Luna.
-Vince has Chyna almost beat, but the stooges are arguing behind the table, and Patterson shoves Brisco into Vince's arm, giving Chyna the victory. Patterson takes the mic and says he can beat her anytime, and challenges her to a wrestling match. Brisco then does the same thing. Chyna agrees to face them both in a Handicap match.

Souled Out on Monday!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cattle Prod Ladder Match: Scott Hall v. Goldberg
Chris Jericho v. Perry Saturn
-If Saturn loses, he must wear a dress for the rest of his career
Bam Bam Bigelow v. Wrath

Announced Participants: 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin (#1), Vince McMahon (#2), Triple H, Chyna (#30)

ECW Living Dangerously - March 21, 1999
Old 11-03-14, 07:32 AM   #12
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nobody have much to say about 1999 thus far?
Old 11-03-14, 10:48 AM   #13
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Nobody have much to say about 1999 thus far?
I will say that I was in Worcester the night Mankind won the title. It was my first WWF live show and while I had gotten into WCW a little bit in the latter half of '98, I hadn't watched WWF tv in probably 5 or 6 years. I had no idea who half the guys even were. I didn't really care for the Russo era in WWF and nothing will ever change that, but I wish I had some sort of frame of reference for what happened that night as I was watching it. It's obviously one of the greatest moments in WWF history and while I was there, I did not appreciate it. I'm even a little embarassed to say I was there because I was pretty much indifferent at the time. Conversely, I was in Hartford earlier in the year when Warrior debuted in WCW and screamed myself hoarse that night I was so excited. One of these days I'll have to go back and watch that Raw. It was not live (as we all know thanks to Schiavone) and I was busy watching the fingerpoke when it aired, so I've never actually seen it.
Old 11-03-14, 02:12 PM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's an interesting perspective. I knew someone who was very pro-WCW and anti-WWF, all the way to the end of the Monday Night Wars. He had a similar reaction to Warrior as well.
Old 11-03-14, 02:52 PM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WCW Souled Out - 1.17.99
Charleston Civic Center - Charleston, WV
Commentary:

-Ric Flair starts the show with a "press conference", in front of a podium. He just talks about WCW being back on top.
-Goldberg is laying on his dressing room floor, holding his knee. Here we go with more bait and switch!
-This is the first WCW PPV with a "Titantron" suspended above the ring entrance.
-Mike Enos v. Chris Benoit. Why? Benoit wins with the Crippler Crossface.
-Norman Smiley v. Chavo Guerrero. Smiley has an urn with the ashes of Pepe in it. Norman throws the ashes in Chavo's face at the end, and applies the Chickenwing for the win.
-Mark Madden interviews Konnan backstage, who wants to know who made the decision to kick him out of the Wolfpack/NWO.
-Fit Finlay v. Van Hammer. Finlay wins with the Tombstone.
-Wrath v. Bam Bam Bigelow. Bigelow wins with Greetings from Asbury Park. About time that Bigelow gets a win.
-Konnan v. Lex Luger. Konnan now comes out to his horrible rap video song as entrance music.
-Luger gets a huge amount of pyro and fanfare for his entrance, which makes sense after all, considering he's the heel in the match. #wcwlogic
-Luger says he ain't mad at Konnan, and there's an A team and a B team, and he just didn't make the cut. He offers to let Konnan walk away, but Konnan attacks him and the match is underway.
-Miss Elizabeth walks out to the ring (WOW), as Konnan puts the Tequila Sunrise on. Elizabeth sprays Konnan in the face with black spraypaint, and Luger puts Konnan in the Torture Rack for the win.
-Perry Saturn v. Chris Jericho, with the loser having to wear a dress for the rest of their career (or until Jericho leaves WCW, in this case). Scott Dickinson is the referee, which makes no sense. Ric Flair is the WCW President, and therefore why would he be the referee? Dumb.
-Saturn rolls Jericho up in a small package, but Dickinson pulls Jericho over into a reversal and makes the quick three count...and Jericho wins? Surprising since he's on his way out of WCW...I figured they'd bury him here. So now Saturn takes the dress and puts it on, and then runs Dickinson off.
-Four Corners match for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship - Billy Kidman v. Juventud Guerrera v. Psicosis v. Rey Mysterio. Two men start in the match, and can tag others at any time - one fall to a finish.
-Good match. Kidman retains the title once again with the Shooting Star Press on Juventud Guerrera.
-Booker T is being interviewed on WCW.com - Chris Jericho shows up and challenges Booker to a match tomorrow on Nitro, and Booker accepts.
-Curt Hennig & Barry Windham v. Ric Flair & David Flair. Hennig & Windham come out to the traditional NWO theme music, even though neither is wearing NWO gear.
-Man, the David Flair heel turn can be seen a mile away here...sigh.
-Ric calls Windham & Hennig "Horsemen rejects" and invites him in the ring, and Hennig wants Arn Anderson away from ringside. Security refuses to budge, though. Windham challenges David Flair to start the match with him, and Ric agrees to let him. David immediately takes out Windham, of course. I assume David had been training at the Power Plant?
-Curt Hennig hooks David for the Hennigplex, but Arn Anderson shows up and hits him with a tire iron, and David drops down to cover Hennig for the win. The NWO comes out afterward and attack both Flairs and Anderson, and handcuff Ric to the ring. Chris Benoit runs out but is overwhelmed. No sign whatsoever of Steve McMichael or Dean Malenko which is just stupid and insulting to our intelligence. Hollywood Hogan beats David Flair with his weightlifting belt for what seems like a year, and then spraypaints "E Z E" on his back.
-Michael Buffer is here! Buffer explains to us that the only way to win this match is to use the Tazer on your opponent.
-Scott Hall v. Goldberg in a Tazer Ladder Match. Hall looks...I dunno. Haggard? Hungover? And I don't mean by gimmick. He just looks a little wore down. Hard to explain. Hall says he has some good news, and it's that the fans get to look at the man who's more handsome than ten movie stars, Scott Hall. The bad news is that Goldberg is injured, and won't be out - but of course, he does come out, complete with knee brace, and we have a match.
-Goldberg has the Tazer in hand, but Disco Inferno comes down and shoves the ladder, sending Goldberg flying. Hall climbs the ladder and grabs the Tazer, but Goldberg blocks the Tazer shot and kicks him in the head. Goldberg grabs the Tazer and hits Disco with it, then tosses it to Hall, but spears him before he can get it. Goldberg hits the Jackhammer and Tazers Hall for the win, and then Bam Bam Bigelow runs out to attack Goldberg. Hall gets up and hits both Bigelow & Goldberg with the Tazer. Amazingly fast recovery for Hall from being Tazered.
-Overall, not a terrible PPV. Not the best, but not awful.

WWF RAW is WAR - 1.18.99
Beaumont Civic Center - Beaumont, TX
Commentary:
Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, The Rock

-We start the show with Michael Cole in the ring to interview Stone Cold Steve Austin. Austin says Vince McMahon nearly pissed his pants when Mankind beat the Rock for the WWF Championship. Austin says Mick Foley is one tough bastard, and says there's good news and bad news - the good news is that Mankind is a deserving and respected WWF Champion, but the bad news is that he'll be facing Austin at Wrestlemania. Austin says he's going to beat Vince McMahon's ass all night long and win the Royal Rumble.
-The Road Dogg v. Gangrel for the WWF Hardcore Championship. Cole announces that Road Dogg will face the Big Bossman at the Royal Rumble, and that both men will also be in the Royal Rumble match. Road Dogg says his name ain't Buffy, but tonight he's a vampire slayer.
-Typical hardcore match - Road Dogg gets the win after a couple of huge chair shots.
-Steve Austin is drinking beer in the back.
-Billy Gunn v. Test. Ken Shamrock comes down and destroys Billy Gunn, causing the DQ. Shamrock flings him all over the ringside area, and then puts him in the Ankle Lock, and attacks some referees.
-Billy Gunn is in the back, screaming about his ankle.
-Kevin Kelly interviews Jeff Jarrett & Owen Hart backstage about being the #1 contenders for the WWF Tag Team Titles - they get their title shot next week on RAW. However, Shamrock and Bossman show up and savagely beat them.
-Another video montage of Shane McMahon training Vince. Hilarious.
-Backstage, The Big Bossman has attacked Mankind.
-Dan Severn v. Steve Blackman. Severn chokes Blackman out and is DQ'd.
-Backstage, Austin is still rinking, and Mankind & The Big Bossman are still brawling.
-Promo for The Rock & Mankind's I Quit match at the Royal Rumble.
-Mankind v. The Big Bossman - the brawl spills to the ring and becomes a hardcore match.
-Mankind puts Socko on the Bossman, but The Rock comes down and blasts Mankind with a chair. No contest. Rock goes to the announce table, and guarantees he'll make that son of a bitch say I Quit, and then hits the Rock Bottom on Mankind onto the chair.
-Mark Henry is backstage, begging Chyna not to do something. She isn't listening.
-Chyna comes to the ring, with Mark Henry tailing behind. They show Mark Henry's mother in the audience. Chyna wants Henry to tell the truth, or she'll humiliate him in front of the people and in front of his mother. Henry admits he lied about he and Chyna, saying they did nothing, and asks Chyna for the tape. Chyna says to roll the footage anyway, and we see Mark Henry and "Sammi". Sammi goes down on him, and Mark Henry realizes that "Sammi" is a man. Henry runs off screaming, and Chyna says she wouldn't sleep with him if they were the last two people on earth. She tells Henry's mom no disrespect, but he had it coming, and she low blows Henry.
-This came off hilarious:

-Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco argue backstage over which of them will pin Chyna tonight.
-Al Snow v. Goldust. As Michael Cole puts it, "the winner of this match gets Head". Snow rolls up Goldust, and he gets Head back, but Goldust hits him with a spinebuster, and then Shattered Dreams, and steals Head again.
-Mideon runs down to the commentary table to babble about "six days". He has markings on his chest now. Chantings start up over the PA, and Mideon runs off to sit at the throne, which is now at the top of the entrance ramp. The Acolytes, some druids, and Paul Bearer show up at the throne, followed by The Undertaker. Undertaker sits on the throne, and talks about the power of the darkness, and about Mideon transforming. Undertaker announces that he will be at the Royal Rumble, and another soul will be sacrificed.
-Chyna v. Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco. Sable comes down for no apparent reason during the match, and gets attacked by Luna with a strap - Cole announces their match on Sunday is a Strap Match.
-Chyna pretty much dominates both, and hits a double DDT and pins both men.
-Backstage, Vince and Shane assure The Rock that Kane will do exactly as told.
-The Rock v. Kane. Vince tells Kane to do the fingerpoke of doom. Kane refuses, and The Corporation attack him, but Rock tells them to leave, as he wants the match.
-Rock goes for the People's Elbow, but Kane reaches up and grabs him by the throat, and chokeslams him. The Corporation run in to attack, but Mankind runs out with a steel chair. Rock tries to back away and leave, but Steve Austin cuts him off - Rock turns back around and right into a chairshot from Mankind to end the show!

UPCOMING EVENTS

WWF Royal Rumble - January 24, 1999
30 Man Royal Rumble Match
-Winner gets a shot at the World Wrestling Federation Championship at Wrestlemania XV
-Announced Participants: 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin (#1), Vince McMahon (#2), Triple H, Chyna (#30), 'Road Dogg' Jesse James, The Big Bossman
WWF Women's Championship Strap MatchBa: Luna Vachon v. Sable (c)
WWF Hardcore Championship: The Big Bossman v. 'The Road Dogg' Jesse James

WCW Superbrawl IX - February 21, 1999

Old 11-04-14, 01:35 PM   #16
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
That's an interesting perspective. I knew someone who was very pro-WCW and anti-WWF, all the way to the end of the Monday Night Wars. He had a similar reaction to Warrior as well.
Late 90's WCW was what got me back into wrestling purely on the basis that all of the guys I remembered from watching as a kid were there. Warrior was my favorite, and my friends and I went to that Nitro with a giant Warrior banner that we made. I think one of my friends had read online that he might be coming to WCW soon, but we were mostly just bringing a giant Warrior sign for the heck of it. Needless to say, when he DID come out that night, it was the greatest thing ever. And no matter how crappy his run ended up being, that initial promo was great.

I stayed pro-WCW all the way through '99. I hated that era of WWF. Sure, the main event scene in WCW sucked, but I absolutely fell in love with the undercard. Once the Radicalz jumped ship, I jumped with them. 2000 WWF ruled all. The only time I've been even remotely into wrestling as much as I was during that period was circa 2005 when ROH was at it's (imo) peak.
Old 11-04-14, 01:54 PM   #17
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed completely about that initial WCW promo - not sure if you've been following the whole time, but when I covered that in the 98 thread, I loved it.

Everything went downhill after that with him though.
Old 11-04-14, 02:52 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WCW Monday Nitro - 1.18.99
Schottenstein Center - Columbus, OH
Commentary:
Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, Larry Zybsyko, Bobby Heenan

-Earlier tonight backstage, the Horsemen are throwing a fit. Steve McMichael & Dean Malenko decided to actually show up.
-The NWO limousine arrives, but the Horsemen destroy the limo, and it peels out. Flair and the Horsemen come to the ring, along with Gene Mean. Flair announces that Hollywood Hogan will defend the WCW World Heavyweight Title at Superbrawl against....Ric Flair. Seriously? How is that any better than Bischoff? And Goldberg doesn't deserve the title? That makes ZERO sense.
-Flair then calls Eric Bischoff out to the ring, and Bischoff shows up. He says he had nothing to do with last night and wasn't even in the building. Flair wants a match with Bischoff tonight, and offers to let Bischoff shave his head if he loses. Bischoff still declines, and so Flair offers Bischoff the company back if he loses. Bischoff repeats it, but David Flair comes out and shoves Bischoff, and he wants to face Bischoff instead. Bischoff agrees to this - Bischoff says if he wins, he gets his company back and Ric gets his head shaved. Flair tells him to wait, and says if Bischoff loses, it'll be Bischoff's head that gets shaved, "and your ass". Okaaaay....
-Great, so David Flair is turning on Ric tonight and Bischoff is getting back in control. Ugh.
-Apparently last night's whipping of David Flair was "the worst thing we've ever witnessed", according to Schiavone. Either my suspension of disbelief is wonky, or Schiavone's an idiot, because it wasn't even a big deal.
-Chris Jericho v. Booker T. GOOD match. Booker wins with the missile dropkick.
-Gene Mean interviews JJ Dillon. Dillon announces that Scott Dickinson has been suspended, and signs a triangle match for tonight between Scott Hall, Bam Bam Bigelow & Goldberg.
-Backstage, Gene Mean interviews Rey Mysterio, who says it isn't time for him to take off the LWO colors. That's stupid and makes no sense. Gene stupidly asks if his mask still means the same thing to him, and Rey says it means everything, and will never be taken off. Oh boy, guess that means he's losing it soon. Mysterio challenges Lex Luger to a match tonight.
-David Flair - who comes out to the Horsemen theme - v. Eric Bischoff. Bischoff toys with David, and kicks him a few times, and poses for the fans. David gets up, punches Bischoff, and gets a three count. I did NOT see that coming. Flair reveals a roll of coins in his hand, and dumps them over Bischoff. That was awesome.
-Ric Flair & the Horsemen come down and shave Bischoff's head, and put the coins on his eyelids. Bischoff wakes up and freaks out. Hilarious.

-The replay shows that the referee, Randy Anderson, slipped David Flair the roll of quarters.
-Chris Jericho is backstage arguing with JJ Dillon, saying that Perry Saturn is not fulfilling contractual obligations, and isn't wearing the dress. Saturn shows up, and Dillon gives him the dress, saying Jericho is right - he has to wear a dress anytime he's in the arena.
-Konnan comes to the ring and blabbers on about being betrayed by the Wolfpack. Konnan says the NWO will bow down, toss his salad and peel his potatoes. No, they won't, Konnan.
-Mike Enos & Bobby Duncum Jr v. Meng & The Barbarian, who are now being called "The First Family". That's a stupid name for a stupid tag team. This is a tag team title tournament match, which means...
-...the NWO Wolfpack come out and destroy everyone. Hogan accepts Flair's challenge for Superbrawl. Bored now.
-The Disco Inferno v. Wrath. Scott Hall comes down, but gets tangled up in the ropes (?) - Wrath hits him, but turns around to get the Chartbuster from Disco, and Disco...gets....the....win. Disco Inferno pinned Wrath. What in the world?
-Disco's entrance theme now has the Wolfpack "howl" dubbed into it. I guess he's officially in the NWO Wolfpack.
-Nitro Girls are dancing to a new song (!), and Scott Steiner comes out and hits on them, then tells Kimberly that he beat her man like a dog.
-Back from commercial break, and Scott Steiner is still rambling, and makes fun of Saturn wearing a dress.
-Scott Steiner v. Perry Saturn. Steiner tells Saturn that there's only two things from Texas, steers and queers, and they're not in Texas. Huh? Buff Bagwell knocks Saturn out during the Death Valley Driver, and Scott puts him in the Steiner Recliner to get the win.
-Kevin Nash, Lex Luger & Elizabeth come to the ring. Nash says to let him speak on this, and yells out "Oil of Olay!" Nash mocks Konnan, saying he rode the coattails of the Wolfpack, and that it's all about the Benjamins. Luger says Mysterio is no bigger than his....leg. Luger says he wants Mysterio's mask, and if he comes to the ring tonight, they'll take the mask.
-Scott Steiner is backstage following Kimberly into the Nitro Girl locker room, saying that they both have great bodies and so they should be together. Security makes him leave.
-Psicosis v. Juventud Guerrera. Psicosis wins with the guillotine legdrop. Been awhile since he's won a match.
-Lex Luger v. Rey Mysterio. Luger gives Mysterio another chance to walk away, saying all he needs to do is give up the LWO shirt as well as the mask. Mysterio obviously doesn't do so, and Luger begins the beatdown. Kevin Nash comes down as Mysterio begins to rally, and Nash interferes. Mysterio takes them both out, but it's short lived as he gets the Jackknife. Luger goes for the Torture Rack, but Konnan runs down and chases the heels off with a chair.
-Scott Steiner is still trying to get with Kimberly, telling her he's giving her the opportunity of a lifetime. Apparently Page is in Las Vegas.
-Scott Hall - with The Disco Inferno - v. Goldberg v. Bam Bam Bigelow. The NWO come down and attack Goldberg, and the Horsemen run down to make the save. Hogan runs off and speeds away in his limo, as Flair chases him. Dumb ending.

WCW Thunder - 1.21.99
Market Square Arena - Indianapolis, IN
Commentary:

-Stevie Ray and the rest of the NWO "B Team" are backstage arguing, and being sick of not being told what the plan is. Stevie Ray says he's "sick of this shit" and throws his shirt. Vincent comes in with a letter from the boys - a letter?! Apparently the NWO is stuck in Tampa - why Tampa? - and Vincent tries to calm everyone down, saying he's one of the founding fathers of the NWO.
-Jerry Flynn v. The Disco Inferno. Disco wins with the Chartbuster.
-The NWO members are backstage with walkie talkies, checking in with each other. This is horrible.
-Vincent calls Hollywood Hogan on his big bulky cell phone, but gets voicemail. Stevie Ray says it probably isn't even Hogan's number. Horace is in the parking lot, and gets beat up by the Horsemen.
-Gene Mean interviews Ric Flair in the ring, who says that there will be a WCW World Tag Team Championship tournament and it will be restarted tonight, with the finale taking place at Superbrawl. Flair then cuts a promo on Hogan. Standard fare.
-Perry Saturn v. Al Green. Saturn is wearing a green dress, and gets the win with the Death Valley Driver.
-More Raven videos from his home. Will this ever go anywhere?
-Glacier v. Kenny Kaos. Kaos wins.
-Vincent orders the other NWO members around backstage, and then takes his black and white shirt off after everyone else has left to reveal a Wolfpack one. So...what does that even mean? This is goofy.
-Here come the NWO B team. Vincent is there with the red and black shirt, so no clue why he was secretive about it backstage. Vincent announces that Horace Hogan & Brian Adams will be in the tag team tournament, and challenges the Horsemen to face himself, Scott Norton & Stevie Ray tonight. None of the NWO members look happy about this.
-Norman Smiley v. Booker T. Good, competitive match. Booker T goes for the Ax Kick, but Norman says "you can't beat me" and leaves, doing the wiggle all the way to the back. Booker T wins by countout.
-Brian Adams & Horace Hogan v. Billy Kidman & Chavo Guerrero in the first round of the WCW World Tag Team Championship tournament. Apparently Chavo recruited Kidman to be his partner. Surpisingly decent match - Vincent interferes and hits Kidman with the Slapjack, and Horace pins him for the win.
-Schiavone announces that the tournament is double elimination, further confusing the issue even more.
-LaParka v. Rey Mysterio. Mysterio wins with the springboard hurricanrana.
-Gene Mean interviews Diamond Dallas Page, who is pissed about Scott Steiner's actions on Nitro. He says it's on.
-Vincent is backstage, and is trying to pump the NWO up - he says he wants to be called VINCE from now on, not Vincent. The NWO members leave, and Vince drinks some raw eggs from a glass, but then chokes. Vince then notices a camera, and says they're being filmed - we pan to the other side of the camera, and Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash & the rest of the NWO Wolfpack are watching from a limousine.
-Michael Buffer is here. This is hilarious. Buffer is going to introduce Stevie Ray, Vince, & Scott Norton.
-Vince, Stevie Ray, & Scott Norton v. Ric Flair, Chris Benoit, & Steve McMichael. This is pretty much a squash - Flair finishes Vince off with the Figure Four, and the other two NWO members leave Vince behind. Vince gets a Tombstone from Mongo, and the Crippler Crossface from Benoit as well.

WWF Sunday Night Heat - 1.24.99
Arrowhead Pond - Anaheim, CA
Commentary:
Kevin Kelly, Shane McMahon

-The parking lot attendant refuses to let Steve Austin in the parking lot without a limo. Austin is doing donuts in his truck in the parking lot.
-We get the debut of this song...

-And here come Vince & Shane McMahon. Vince says Mankind will have a tuneup match against a mystery opponent on Heat tonight.
-The "mystery opponent" arrives in the parking lot, with a mask on, and he's enormous. Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco greet him.
-2 Cold Scorpio & Bob Holly - The JOB Squad - v. Too Much. Scott Taylor is back from his injury. Job Squad get the win.
-The Acolytes & Mideon come out - members of the Ministry of Darkness, as Kelly puts it - and attack all four men. The Undertaker's music then hits, and he and Paul Bearer head to the ring. Undertaker says that later tonight, the lambs will be led to slaughter, and he will choose his next victim.
-Mankind is in the boiler room, and Shane tells him he can't wait until he says I Quit. Mankind calls him a pretentious little twit, and says it will be the Rock screaming I quit, I quit, I quit! Shane mockingly says, "Thanks for those kind words, Mick!"
-Michael Cole interviews Sable in the ring, but Luna interrupts and beats her with the strap again.
-Vince McMahon comes back to the ring, and Steve Austin has arrived in the arena - Austin comes to the ring as well, and Vince runs to the back.
-Mankind's mystery opponent comes to the ring - it looks like this is Mabel in a mask and leather jacket. Mankind comes to the ring, and I guess he's not going to unmask yet.
-Masked Man v. Mankind. Mankind lifts up the mask to deliver Socko, and it is indeed Mabel. Shane McMahon & The Rock come out and hammer on Mankind, causing the DQ, and Mabel drops a huge splash on Mankind.

Royal Rumble tomorrow!

UPCOMING EVENTS

WWF Royal Rumble - January 24, 1999
30 Man Royal Rumble Match
-Winner gets a shot at the World Wrestling Federation Championship at Wrestlemania XV
-Announced Participants: 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin (#1), Vince McMahon (#2), Triple H, Chyna (#30), 'Road Dogg' Jesse James, The Big Bossman
WWF Women's Championship Strap MatchBa: Luna Vachon v. Sable (c)
WWF Hardcore Championship: The Big Bossman v. 'The Road Dogg' Jesse James

WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Ric Flair v. Hollywood Hogan (c)
WCW World Tag Team Championship Tournament Final

Old 11-05-14, 01:16 PM   #19
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWF Royal Rumble: No Chance In Hell - 1.24.99
Arrowhead Pond - Anaheim, CA
Commentary:
Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, Shane McMahon, The Rock, Vince McMahon

-'Road Dogg' Jesse James v. The Big Bossman for the WWF Hardcore Championship kicks off the Royal Rumble.
-Apparently it's NOT for the Hardcore Title, though, as the referee is enforcing rules, and Cole keeps repeating that this "isn't hardcore".
-Bossman gets the win with what Cole calls a sidewalk slam, although it's really his finisher. I miss Jim Ross.
-'Bad Ass' Billy Gunn v. Ken Shamrock for the WWF Intercontinental Championship. So happy to hear the Fink.
-Good match - Val Venis comes down after a referee bump and DDTs Shamrock, but Gunn is slow to make the cover and Shamrock kicks out. Afterward Shamrock surprisingly gets a clean submission win over Billy with the Ankle Lock to retain the title.
-Gangrel v. X-Pac for the WWF European Championship. Cole calls X-Pac "maybe the greatest European Champion of all time". I think there's been like, five of them total. I miss Jim Ross.
-Gangrel gets the three count, but obviously X-Pac screwed up, because the referee just pretends he didn't count three and the match continues - X-Pac wins it a few minutes later with the X-Factor.
-Kevin Kelly interviews DX backstage, who all state that with the WWF Title and $100,000 on the line, it's every man for himself - Chyna makes sure to get in the "and woman" line.
-Shane McMahon comes to the ring, and introduces the next WWF Women's Champion - Luna Vachon.
-Luna Vachon v. Sable in a Strap Match for the WWF Women's Championship. Sable sells a back injury from Luna's beating on Sunday Night Heat, and Shane tells her to forfeit the Women's Title - Sable instead asks for the bell to be rung, and we have a Strap Match. Shane joins commentary. Ugh.
-Sable wins, after her blond "fan" (I still don't recognize her - anyone know who it is?) runs in and knocks Luna out.
-The Big Bossman is talking backstage with Test and Ken Shamrock, and Bossman says he'll do whatever it takes to win the Royal Rumble.
-Dok Hendrix (he's still there!) interviews The Rock backstage, who tells Dok to know his role and SHUT...his mouth.
-The Rock v. Mankind in an I Quit Match for the World Wrestling Federation Championship.
-This is one of my favorite matches between Rock and Mankind, aside from the ending, which Foley goes into great detail about in his book (and I believe is the focal point of Beyond the Mat, as well).
-Early on, Mankind calls Rock a son of a bitch and tells him to say it - Rock responds by telling Mankind he's gonna kick his fat ass. Rock gets on commentary, and calls Mankind a piece of trash, and then tells Lawler to shut his mouth, and calls him a piece of trash.
-Rock hits the ring bell hammer against the ring bell next to Mankind's head, and sings "Bells will be ringin'...."
-This is also the match with the botched Rock Bottom that was included on the "Don't Try This At Home" videos for the longest time - Rock goes to Rock Bottom Mankind through the Spanish announce table, but the table collapses before the move.
-Rock knocks Mankind off a barricade onto the electrical circuitboard (per Cole), and sparks fly and the lights go out for a minute. Mankind is wrapped in wires, and Shane McMahon comes out and calls for doctors, but Rock tells him no, that son of a bitch will scream I Quit and I'll be damned if he don't. So the match continues...
-Mankind finally gets in the ring, and Rock handcuffs his hands behind his back. Mankind is busted open at this point, but he fights back with kicks and knees, and even bites him, but Rock lays him out with a clothesline, and places a chair over Mankind's face, hitting the People's Elbow on it. Rock grabs the chair, and the unprotected head shots begin:
-1...2...3...4...5...6...out to the aisle...7...8...9...10...even Lawler is saying it's enough...11...12...and Rock says he guaranteed to the millions and millions of Rock's fans that Mankind would quit - and we hear "I Quit" playing over the PA system. The Rock is the new WWF Champion!
-Here's some clips:

-And here's the Beyond the Mat footage from this match, which is absolutely worth watching:

-That last stretch of chairshots was tough to watch. Take that away and this was a fantastic match.
-Mankind is stretchered out.
-Time for the 1999 WWF Royal Rumble Match!
-#1. Stone Cold Steve Austin!
-#2, obviously, is Vince McMahon, who looks huge. Obviously the first two minutes are spent with Austin just destroying McMahon to the delight of the crowd.
-#3 is Golga of the Oddities, finally with new (generic) music. Golga runs in and hammers away on Austin, and Vince McMahon slips out of the ring through the bottom rope. Austin throws Golga over the top rope and chases Vince through the crowd, as they fight in the concourse area - leaving nobody in the ring.
-#4 is Darren Drozdov, who came out to the Legion of Doom theme. Austin beats Vince all the way to the ladies restroom, where the Corporation are lying in wait, and they attack Austin inside.
-#5 is Edge, and he and Droz fight.
-#6 is GILLBERG! Gillberg gets fire extinguishers blown on him as Lawler announces that he could win this whole thing. Gillberg enters, and is thrown out quickly by Edge. We get a camera back in the women's room, and Steve Austin is laid out as the Corporation leaves.
-#7 is 'The Lethal Weapon' Steve Blackman. A stretcher has arrived in the women's room for Steve Austin.
-#8 is Dan 'The Beast' Severn. We go to a double screen, where Austin is being brought ot an ambulance.
-#9 is Tiger Ali Singh.
-#10 is The Blue Meanie.
-#11 doesn't come out at first, but then we see footage of Mosh being thrown against the wall backstage by Mabel, who comes out and takes his spot! Mabel comes in and eliminates Severn, Blackman, & Singh.
-#12 is 'The Road Dogg' Jesse James, and Mabel continues his path of destruction, eliminating The Blue Meanie & Droz. Mabel throws Edge out, but only one foot hits, and he recovers, but then the Road Dogg knocks him out as well.
-The lights go out, and the Undertaker's theme hits! The Acolytes and Mideon come in the ring and toss Mabel over the top rope, and beat him up and drag him to The Undertaker, who's at the entrance in his devil robe. He tells Mabel to accept the Lord of Darkness, and he's attacked by the Ministry, and they drag him off.
-#13 is Gangrel, who is pretty quickly eliminated by The Road Dogg. Lame. Road Dogg is all alone - Vince & Austin are still in it, but are not currently in the ring.
-#14 is Kurrgan of the Oddities.
-#15 is Al Snow. Road Dogg eliminates Snow.
-#16 is Goldust. You think they would've left those two in the ring together, instead of having Snow go out so quickly. In a funny spot, Road Dogg tries to give Goldust his own Shattered Dreams, but Kurrgan blocks it.
-#17 is The Godfather, who has a bunch of Hos with him.
-#18 is KANE. Kane eliminates the Road Dogg, The Godfather, Kurrgan and Goldust to clear the ring. The men in white coats come out - I guess Kane is out of the Corporation? - but Kane fights them all off. Kane eliminates himself and chases the white suits off. So now we have nobody in the ring.
-#19 is 'The World's Most Dangerous Man' Ken Shamrock, who walks to the ring alongside Vince McMahon, who has put a shirt back on. Vince comes over and joins commentary, saying he's accomplished his goal of taking out Steve Austin.
-#20 is 'Bad Ass' Billy Gunn, who takes it to Shamrock.
-#21 is Test. Outside the arena, the Acolytes are beating on Mabel, and they throw him in the back of a hearse. As the hearse pulls away, an ambulance arrives at the arena...and Austin has returned, he's driving the ambulance! Vince is terrified. Steve Austin runs out to the ring, and Vince runs into the ring and out, but Shamrock cuts Austin off and attacks.
-#22 is The Big Bossman. Austin eliminates Shamrock. Vince is back on commentary.
-#23 is Triple H. Cole says it's amazing that Billy Gunn is still in this match, even though he was only four entrants ago. Gunn goes after Austin which draws boos from the crowd.
-#24 is Val Venis. Austin eliminates Billy Gunn. Vince is freaking out at ringside, and says he'll take the $100,00 out of Shane's trust fund.
-#25 is X-Pac.
-#26 is Mark Henry.
-#27 is Jeff Jarrett. Cole asks Vince if he will pay the person who collects the bounty in cash or a check. Vince hilariously deadpans, "My word is good enough, I'll pay with a check. Yours clears every week, doesn't it?" Cole stammers, "Yes sir it does".
-#28 is D'Lo Brown. Test is eliminated by Austin, and The Big Bossman eliminates X-Pac.
-#29 is Owen Hart. Jeff Jarrett is eliminated by Triple H, and Austin rolls to the outside and throws a pitcher of water on Vince.
-We're down to Triple H, Val Venis, Mark Henry, The Big Bossman, D'Lo Brown, Steve Austin, & Owen Hart, along with Vince McMahon on commentary.
-#30 is Chyna, who attacks Mark Henry - Henry just lets her beat him up. Chyna eliminates Henry, and Austin then eliminates her.
-Val tries to eliminate both Austin and Triple H, but Hunter throws Val out. Austin drops Hunter with a stunner, but he hops back up while selling it, and Austin clotheslines him out.
-Owen Hart runs at the Bossman, but the Bossman recovers and throws him out, giving us the final four - Bossman, Austin, D'Lo Brown, and Vince McMahon, who's still on commentary.
-D'Lo hits a big frog splash on Austin, but the Bossman then tosses him out. Austin drops Bossman with a Stunner and tosses him out, and then goes under the top rope and pulls Vince McMahon back in the ring!
-Austin DRILLS Vince in the head with a chair and beats on him. Austin Stuns him, and hits the second rope elbow, when the Rock comes out and taunts Austin. Rock jumps up on the ring apron, and Austin goes for him, but Rock drops down and Vince McMahon dumps Austin over the top rope to win the 1999 Royal Rumble!
-VINCE MCMAHON IS GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA!!!!
-Rock and Austin brawl to the back, and Vince mocks Austin's beer celebration as we go off the air.

UPCOMING EVENTS

WWF In Your House: St. Valentine's Day Massacre - February 14, 1999

WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Ric Flair v. Hollywood Hogan (c)
WCW World Tag Team Championship Tournament Final

Old 11-05-14, 03:36 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post

I stayed pro-WCW all the way through '99. I hated that era of WWF. Sure, the main event scene in WCW sucked, but I absolutely fell in love with the undercard. Once the Radicalz jumped ship, I jumped with them. 2000 WWF ruled all.
I think that is an under credited turning point in the Monday Night Wars. When Revolution/Radicalz jumped it wasn't so much a major victory for WWE as is it was a catastrophic defeat for WCW. Sure WWE got future world champions in Benoit and Guerrero but it took away the future of WCW. They were left with Shane Douglas who had nothing to do.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 11-05-14, 03:55 PM   #21

Quote:
-Sable wins, after her blond "fan" (I still don't recognize her - anyone know who it is?) runs in and knocks Luna out.
I think that was Tori. She eventually hooked up with Kane and turned on him. Poor guy never has any luck with the ladies.
Old 11-05-14, 06:47 PM   #22
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Zarak View Post
I think that was Tori. She eventually hooked up with Kane and turned on him. Poor guy never has any luck with the ladies.
Yep thats her.
Old 11-06-14, 02:45 PM   #23
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I barely remember Tori. Hmmm.
Old 11-06-14, 05:17 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think that was Tori. She eventually hooked up with Kane and turned on him.
That's all I really remember about Tori. Other than that, she was just someone who was around for me. I saw a list that had her at the top of the richest women wrestlers (sorry ... Divas ). Ahead of people like Trish, Lita, Stacy Keibler, Sable. Either she invested really well or had a fantastic agent for photoshoots.

Quote:
Poor guy never has any luck with the ladies.
Katie Vick never had any complaints
Old 11-08-14, 07:42 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was at the Pond for Royal Rumble 1999, so I figured I'd share my thoughts.

I got pretty excited for the Rumble, since it was something I always wanted to see live (I'd already been to Mania IX). I actually went to the box office on the day of the event and bought a ticket. It was one of those tickets they release after they get everything set up, so it wasn't a great seat, but still, it's the freaking Rumble.

It was my first live WWE event since a house show in 1994 I believe. And the only event I had attended after that was Bash At The Beach 1995. So it'd been a long time since I saw wrestling in an arena.

I'm glad to reread that stuff from Heat, as I haven't been able to watch that since 1999. I remember the Austin doing the donuts in the parking lot clip. I remember when Mabel came out, knowing it had to be Mabel, and being surprised that he was back. Mostly, I remember the Mankind interview and kind of realizing that it would come back to haunt him later on.

I remember the craziness of the crowd. It was such a different atmosphere than it was just 5 years earlier, and even 5 years later.

But what I recall more than anything was that match between Rock and Mankind. It was insane, epic, and entertaining as hell. If Foley was nuts for taking the dive off the cell, AND coming back to fall through the roof, what do you call him for taking over 20 unprotected head shots from a steel chair?

It was weird being there live for such an iconic moment, especially in wrestling. You have many in the crowd who believe everything is real and they're in shock. You have the people who believe everything is fake, and think it's just part of the show. Then there's the rest of us who know what's real, and what's not. And we were all in awe of what was going on.

In the end, that match kind of sucked the air out of the crowd, and how could it not? Maybe not as much as Taker/Lesnar this year, but that match actually took alot away from the Rumble itself.

Speaking of which, the Rumble itself that year kind of sucked. After what happened to Foley, we wanted Austin big time. I remember his entrance brought the crowd back in it. But once the match started, and they left the ring, the air went out again. Here we were watching the fighting on the scoreboard, while you had the overbooked crap in and around the ring like the silly Kane segment, and Mabel being kidnapped.

And then you have that ending, which was correct for the storyline, and for selling the next PPV. But again, it left us in the crowd pretty disappointed. Foley lost, Austin lost. Don't get me wrong, it was AWESOME to be there, but it was a bit of a downer.