Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anybody want to host the 2022 Winter Olympics?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Does anybody want to host the 2022 Winter Olympics?

Old 07-28-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Does anybody want to host the 2022 Winter Olympics?

At least they play a lot of soccer in brazil, think about qatar and what they are going to do with all their stadiums in the middle of a damn sandbox.
Old 07-28-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I don't understand how it would cost American cities so much? I know when Chicago was trying for the 2016 games, they were planning on events as far away as Madison...Summer games should almost be cheaper, given the simpler facilities needed, no? Where would all this extra debt be coming from?
Old 07-28-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, you need a huge track stadium (which most cities don't have), a velodrome, a swimming facility that can seat thousands, and from what I've read elsewhere, they require at least 4 indoor venues that can seat 10,000+ (with 2 at least 15,000). It's why L.A. should have been the choice from the start. They have all that already.

I really don't care. If we're going to get an Olympics, I'd rather have a Winter games so go for 2026 and SLC again. The rotation sets USA up well to win that. They have all the facilities.
Old 07-31-15, 11:26 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beijing it is

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...06363d5a1aa34?

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Beijing was selected Friday to host the 2022 Winter Olympics, becoming the first city awarded both the winter and summer games.

Beijing narrowly defeated Almaty, Kazakhstan, in a vote of the International Olympic Committee. The vote was surprisingly close: 44-40.

The Chinese capital, which hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics, came in to the vote as the strong favorite, despite its lack of natural snow.
Old 07-31-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No natural snow in Beijing? I am strongly against a place hosting the summer and winter games (well as strongly as I can feel typing but once I'm done I'll move on). This whole Olympic thing has turned into a sham. They should just do it like the Superbowl and rotate through a certain number of cities that are already set up a capable of hosting.
Old 07-31-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here I was thinking that you needed snow and/or mountains to host a Winter Olympics. Apparently all you actually need is a totalitarian government with enough resources to buy the votes needed. Such a shame that all the actual Winter resort towns pulled out.
There needs to be a FIFA-style shake up of the IOC. Come on, Justice Dept!
Old 07-31-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Such a shame that all the actual Winter resort towns pulled out.
That was one of my favorite parts of watching the Winter Games as a kid was seeing which region they would go to.
Old 07-31-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
That was one of my favorite parts of watching the Winter Games as a kid was seeing which region they would go to.
I think it was Vancouver(?) that killed my love of the winter games. I like the shots of the snow covered grounds. It makes it look like actual winter. It was more like the Fall Olympics
Old 07-31-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here I was thinking that you needed snow and/or mountains to host a Winter Olympics. Apparently all you actually need is a totalitarian government with enough resources to buy the votes needed. Such a shame that all the actual Winter resort towns pulled out.
There needs to be a FIFA-style shake up of the IOC. Come on, Justice Dept!
No please, or at least until Kazakhstan hosts an Olympics so everyone can once again make Borat jokes with impunity.
Old 07-31-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm surprised how close the vote was (44-40).

It's too bad the USOC did not submit a bid for SLC. They would have been a shoo-in. Unfortunately, they got scared off by what looked like strong potential bids from Euro cities (who all ultimately dropped out).
Old 07-31-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is sad that maybe 1 or 2 generations will not have the experience of watching the U.S. host the Summer Olympics.

Atlanta in 1996 was a while ago and Salt Lake in 2002 is not that far away but that was the Winter Olympics which has a smaller following.
Old 07-31-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Is the experience that much different watching on TV? I guess time zone wise, it might be, but if it's a Western Hemisphere Olympics, it's pretty much all the same to me. And Atlanta was pretty much a dud if you ask me (outside of Ali lighting the cauldron and Michael Johnson). L.A. was cool, but was not perfect (missing the Soviet Bloc), but great if you had those McDonalds cards.

That being said, I really would like to attend a Winter Games so I hope they bid for 2026.
Old 07-31-15, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to the Nagano games in 1998 and had an amazing experience (except ski jumping which was far, snowy and packed. I didn't see anything except skiers materializing at the bottom of the slope). Stayed in Tokyo and commuted on the bullet train to the Olympic Village

In the 2008 Summer games, due to the massive difference in time zones, China actually had events broadcast live in the evening in the US East Coast -- Good old NBC would never think to broadcast evening coverage live in the West (they were held during the day on the following calender day in China). I assume they'll do that again for some events here.
Old 07-31-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk God

In the 2008 Summer games, due to the massive difference in time zones, China actually had events broadcast live in the evening in the US East Coast -- Good old NBC would never think to broadcast evening coverage live in the West (they were held during the day on the following calender day in China). I assume they'll do that again for some events here.
The key for that was that NBC got swimming (Phelps) moved to the morning China time. I assume they'll try to move things like figure skating and hippie skiing moved to morning Beijing time. I bet hippie skiing would get moved. Figure skating not. But the Alpine Downhill and Super-G would be right in primetime, based on the typical Olympic schedule.

And the same applies for S. Korea in 2018.

The worst thing about an Asian Winter Olympics is hockey. Though not bad for PT. If you're a hockey fan in ET, the first game of the 3 that are usually played per day will be late primetime and the other 2 basically overnight. I would guess they'll slot USA & CAN games in the earliest slots.

The 2014 NBC streaming worked pretty well, so by 2022 the whole NBC shitting on the west coast issue will hopefully be moot.
Old 07-31-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So it looks like some of this will be happening in Zhangjiakou which is my wife's hometown. In fact, she just got back from a 3 week trip last night. I first went in 2007 and was last there in 2011. The changes to this dusty little city (over a million I think, ha) I saw from 2007, 2008 and 2011 were amazing to witness. I can't even imagine what it will be like now. I guess they will be getting a bullet train.

So go to the Winter Olympics or have her dad visit here and rent his apartment for the big bucks?
Old 08-01-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-2022-wi...-of-1721529580

Here's the 2022 Winter Olympics Venue, In The Middle of Winter:
Old 08-03-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-2022-wi...-of-1721529580

Here's the 2022 Winter Olympics Venue, In The Middle of Winter:
Maybe they could do it like College Football. Let the skiiers do all sorts of warmups and be interviewed and have their statistics measured, then, rather than have them go head-to-head, just let the sports writers vote on who the fastest one is.
Old 06-24-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Milan, Italy awarded the 2026 Winter Olympics over Sweden. Finally, sanity restored to the selection process.
Old 06-25-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend