Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: How often should we have baseball threads in 2015?
Daily
4.35%
Weekly
73.91%
Monthly
17.39%
Season-long
4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Old 11-28-14, 04:55 PM
  #376  
DVD Talk Legend
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,574
Received 248 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

The Padres are striking out with the free agents. They offered Sandoval 5/100 and lost out there, and then lost out on Tomas. The Pads finally commit to spending money on legit big leaguers, and they make really good contract offers, and they still lose out. Looks like another crap year for the Pads. No wonder I gave up on MLB years ago...
Old 11-28-14, 05:34 PM
  #377  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 78,339
Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
The Padres are striking out with the free agents. They offered Sandoval 5/100 and lost out there, and then lost out on Tomas. The Pads finally commit to spending money on legit big leaguers, and they make really good contract offers, and they still lose out. Looks like another crap year for the Pads. No wonder I gave up on MLB years ago...
blame it on years and years of not wanting to spend money. hardly anyone wants to go to a team where they won't be supported by talent around them. i think they are going in the right direction now, but they are far better to build from within and then try to sign lower to mid-tier FAs. i don't think they'll score a big named FA for many years.
Old 11-28-14, 05:59 PM
  #378  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,732
Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Because of their park, the Padres will have the same problem the Mariners have in attracting hitters. They'll have to significantly overspend, Cano-style.
Old 11-28-14, 08:47 PM
  #379  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 78,339
Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Looks like the A's are blowing shit up. From Ken Rosenthal: Sources: Donaldson going to #BlueJays. Lawrie, RHP Kendall Graveman among those going to #Athletics.
Old 11-28-14, 08:57 PM
  #380  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 78,339
Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

full trade details: Josh Donaldson to Blue Jays, A's get Brett Lawrie, pitchers Kendall Graveman and Sean Nolin, SS Franklin Barreto. Deal done.
Old 11-28-14, 09:01 PM
  #381  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chrisih8u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: A few miles north of the Cape
Posts: 18,335
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Would much rather the Sox have gotten Donaldson than Sandoval. Seems like a really light return. Thats gonna be a helluva lineup for Toronto.
Old 11-28-14, 10:20 PM
  #382  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,941
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
Would much rather the Sox have gotten Donaldson than Sandoval. Seems like a really light return. Thats gonna be a helluva lineup for Toronto.
The return seems like Beane could have gotten a lot more. Lawrie has underachieved and has horrible stats on the road. The other two pitchers look like back of the rotation types. The SS is probably the best prospect of the bunch but he is years away. Oh yeah, Donaldson is not scheduled to be a FA until after the 2019 season. Yes, Beane should have held out for more.
Old 11-29-14, 01:48 AM
  #383  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 22,276
Received 205 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

It's an (American) Thanksgiving miracle! I really like this trade and adding Donaldson to the Jays, has me really excited (again) for next season. AA is trying to change the "culture" of the clubhouse...

Lawrie is still young enough to be a really good baseball player but his antics and being injury prone, did him no favours here in Toronto. If he's able to control his "intensity" and be injury free, he could be a heck of a player. The player that I hate to lose is Barreto but you have to give something in order to get something.

The Jays still got work to do in regards to 2nd Base, SP and the outfield. I don't think that they will bring Cabrera back with him wanting in the neighborhood of $16 million plus.
Old 11-29-14, 02:28 AM
  #384  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,732
Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Another significant upgrade for the Jays. The AL East teams who aren't the Red Sox or Yankees can smell the blood in the water.
Old 11-29-14, 08:45 AM
  #385  
DVD Talk Legend
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 12,574
Received 248 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
blame it on years and years of not wanting to spend money. hardly anyone wants to go to a team where they won't be supported by talent around them. i think they are going in the right direction now, but they are far better to build from within and then try to sign lower to mid-tier FAs. i don't think they'll score a big named FA for many years.
They've tried building from within for the last 15 years, and look what that's gotten them.

That's another area where MLB econimic inequity between teams gives the big money teams a HUGE advantage over the mid and small market teams - better farm systems. It takes a lot of money to run a good farm system. The Padres PUBLICLY made a big deal about new hires to run the farm system three times over the last 12 or so years, stating that the new guys had done great jobs with other farm systems (which they apparently had). Once those guys got to the Padres system and had less money to work with they suddenly became morons who couldn't develop talent to save their lives.

No, building from within is a great idea, but to become legitimate WS contenders that way it takes a lot of money - more money than the Padres have.

Instead of having a top notch farm system the Padres ARE a farm system (for the big market teams).

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Because of their park, the Padres will have the same problem the Mariners have in attracting hitters. They'll have to significantly overspend, Cano-style.
And since the Padres can't afford to OVERspend on players (higher than market value), the Padres are unlikely to get good hitters. The frustrating thing is they brought in the fences before the 2012 season making Petco Park little more hitter friendly, but hitters still aren't interested. The Padres opponents have better power numbers at Petco than do the Padres. It isn't a bad hitters park anymore, it's just not a great one.


I don't know why the MLB brass really thinks it's a good idea to have 10 or 15 teams that have almost zero chance of even competing for a WS appearance 9 out of every 10 years. The small market and smaller mid market teams suck almost every year. Why would anyone follow those teams? You can predict their final (losing) record within 5 or 6 games before every season begins - even if you've got zero knowledge of their player moves.

I keep hoping that they'll look at the NFL and see teams go from worst to first in just a couple of years because of the balance in the league and want to do the same for MLB. All it would take is greater profit sharing and a $150 Million salary cap. It could be done, but the big market teams own the league so they block that kind of thing from happening.

Whatever. We'll be back here next year (and the year after that) and nothing will have changed. Most of the mid and small market teams will suck and will have had their best players picked up by the big market teams and the cycle will continue.

Last edited by B5Erik; 11-29-14 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 09:26 AM
  #386  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 78,339
Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

according to a Dominican newspaper, Nelson Cruz signed a 4/57 million deal with the Mariners. None of the big MLB guys have confirmed it yet, though.
Old 12-01-14, 10:25 AM
  #387  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,732
Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Confirmed on ESPN. Would I be shocked if he reverted to 19 HR next year? No. But I still give the Mariners credit for getting the deal done.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...attle-mariners


Nelson Cruz, Mariners agree
Updated: December 1, 2014, 11:16 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Veteran outfielder Nelson Cruz has agreed to a multiyear deal with the Seattle Mariners, pending a physical, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

A source told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas the two sides agreed on a four-year, $57 million deal that also includes a $1 million signing bonus.

With the Baltimore Orioles last season, the 34-year-old Cruz led the majors with 40 home runs and finished third in the American League with 108 RBIs.

Cruz signed a one-year, $8 million free-agent deal with the Orioles on Feb. 24. He was suspended for 50 games on Aug. 5, 2013 for his involvement with Biogenesis.

Cruz has previously played with the Milwaukee Brewers (eight games in 2005) and Texas Rangers (2006-2013).

The three-time All-Star holds MLB records for most home runs (six) and most RBIs (13) in a single postseason series (2011 ALCS).

The Orioles made a one-year qualifying offer of $15.3 million to Cruz for 2015, which he rejected, ensuring them draft-pick compensation if he signs with another team.
Old 12-01-14, 10:40 AM
  #388  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,732
Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
They've tried building from within for the last 15 years, and look what that's gotten them.

That's another area where MLB econimic inequity between teams gives the big money teams a HUGE advantage over the mid and small market teams - better farm systems. It takes a lot of money to run a good farm system. The Padres PUBLICLY made a big deal about new hires to run the farm system three times over the last 12 or so years, stating that the new guys had done great jobs with other farm systems (which they apparently had). Once those guys got to the Padres system and had less money to work with they suddenly became morons who couldn't develop talent to save their lives.

No, building from within is a great idea, but to become legitimate WS contenders that way it takes a lot of money - more money than the Padres have.

Instead of having a top notch farm system the Padres ARE a farm system (for the big market teams).


And since the Padres can't afford to OVERspend on players (higher than market value), the Padres are unlikely to get good hitters. The frustrating thing is they brought in the fences before the 2012 season making Petco Park little more hitter friendly, but hitters still aren't interested. The Padres opponents have better power numbers at Petco than do the Padres. It isn't a bad hitters park anymore, it's just not a great one.


I don't know why the MLB brass really thinks it's a good idea to have 10 or 15 teams that have almost zero chance of even competing for a WS appearance 9 out of every 10 years. The small market and smaller mid market teams suck almost every year. Why would anyone follow those teams? You can predict their final (losing) record within 5 or 6 games before every season begins - even if you've got zero knowledge of their player moves.

I keep hoping that they'll look at the NFL and see teams go from worst to first in just a couple of years because of the balance in the league and want to do the same for MLB. All it would take is greater profit sharing and a $150 Million salary cap. It could be done, but the big market teams own the league so they block that kind of thing from happening.

Whatever. We'll be back here next year (and the year after that) and nothing will have changed. Most of the mid and small market teams will suck and will have had their best players picked up by the big market teams and the cycle will continue.
I do give MLB credit for trying to address some of the inequities by changing the rules to limit bonus money so wealthy teams can't load up on overslot players in the draft as well as international players. However, the new problem is the TV money. You can't compete for the big free agents without it. And yeah, a salary cap would solve many of the problems but is not going to happen.
Old 12-01-14, 10:58 AM
  #389  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,672
Received 112 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

I didn't expect the Orioles to resign Nelson Cruz. They are looking at Torii Hunter or Matt Kemp(no thanks on both).

Probably will bring back(no way this is happening) Felix Pie. He gets my vote as worst Orioles outfielder ever.
Old 12-01-14, 01:22 PM
  #390  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

http://deadspin.com/curt-schilling-s...ist-1665127553

As if I already didn't think Curt Schilling was a huge douche (I also have friends that kind of got burned by the whole 38 Studios thing).
Old 12-02-14, 11:09 AM
  #391  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,116
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Joe Maddon already has his boys in first place!

Old 12-02-14, 11:26 AM
  #392  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,732
Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Joe Maddon already has his boys in first place!
He's totally worth $5 million a year!

Latest Cubs rumor is that they might offer Lester a seventh year as a way to differentiate themselves from Boston. This would be an option year that would automatically vest if Lester pitched a total of 360 innings in years 5 and 6. I don't think this is a terrible idea, as that number of innings would mean he was still fairly effective, unless he's like Edwin Jackson. And $20+ million by that point might be the going rate for a #5 starter.
Old 12-02-14, 03:19 PM
  #393  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
He's totally worth $5 million a year!

Latest Cubs rumor is that they might offer Lester a seventh year as a way to differentiate themselves from Boston. This would be an option year that would automatically vest if Lester pitched a total of 360 innings in years 5 and 6. I don't think this is a terrible idea, as that number of innings would mean he was still fairly effective, unless he's like Edwin Jackson. And $20+ million by that point might be the going rate for a #5 starter.
I'm all for signing Lester as a Cubs fan but the amount of years at his age just gives me a little bit of a pause. I hope it works out if he is signed to a long term deal like that.
Old 12-03-14, 09:32 AM
  #394  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,732
Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I'm all for signing Lester as a Cubs fan but the amount of years at his age just gives me a little bit of a pause. I hope it works out if he is signed to a long term deal like that.
A long-term, high-dollar contract to a player over 30 has virtually no chance of being good value at the end. The best hope is that it's not a complete albatross like Mike Hampton (who I don't believe was over 30 but anyway....). Ideal scenario would be for him to live up to the salary for the first few years and help them become a contending team, then be a usable but overpaid piece by the end.
Old 12-03-14, 10:22 AM
  #395  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Locals are pretty excited for Torriiii coming back to the Twins. I guess I'm glad he'll be able to retire here, but don't see it helping the team much. Hopefully he's right with his talk that the team just needs an attitude adjustment and he can help with it.
Old 12-03-14, 10:25 AM
  #396  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 11,732
Received 171 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

I'll miss Torii... good guy, team player and still can hit. That said, he'll make a better RF on any other team than the Tigers.
Old 12-03-14, 10:29 AM
  #397  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,732
Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Locals are pretty excited for Torriiii coming back to the Twins. I guess I'm glad he'll be able to retire here, but don't see it helping the team much. Hopefully he's right with his talk that the team just needs an attitude adjustment and he can help with it.
Kinda surprised because it seems like a number of contending teams would be interested, but he'll be a good mentor for their young talent.
Old 12-03-14, 10:38 AM
  #398  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 11,732
Received 171 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

While I don't wish the Twins any luck, I am excited to finally see Buxton and the other guy.... ugh, can't remember his name, a huge 1B or OF with tons of power potential who tore his rotator cuff last year??
Old 12-03-14, 10:41 AM
  #399  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 47,732
Received 462 Likes on 383 Posts
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
While I don't wish the Twins any luck, I am excited to finally see Buxton and the other guy.... ugh, can't remember his name, a huge 1B or OF with tons of power potential who tore his rotator cuff last year??
Sano?

(Sano and Buxton are the two Twins prospects I know of.)
Old 12-03-14, 11:01 AM
  #400  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MLB 2014-15 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Sano's the big one yeah.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.