Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NASCAR - Tony Stewart runs over competitor after crash

Old 08-10-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 571 Likes on 357 Posts
Re: NASCAR - Tony Stewart runs over competitor after crash

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I agree.

A civil suit will be tough to win (at least a big payout) too because there is obviously some negligence on the part of Ward. This is assuming that there is no determination of intent by Stewart.

That being said, Stewart is fucked going forward. I can't see any sponsors touching him.
I think Tony will be OK. I think all he needs to say is that he never saw him and he's horrified and upset .. and I think he'll take the remainder of the year off. The he'll be back next year and dedicate races to Ward, demand Nascar change rules regarding this, etc. He knows how to work this.

I think, at the end of the day, this is a "racing thing" that wasn't done on purpose and things will continue on... maybe with a silent lap on lap 13 during some race.
Old 08-10-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Hours after running over and killing Kevin Ward, Jr., Tony Stewart plans to race again. According to Greg Zipadelli, the manager of his Stewart-Haas Racing team, Stewart plans to race in the NASCAR event at Watkins Glen scheduled to begin at approximately 1:19 p.m. Zipadelli said of the decision: "we're business as usual today."

I know he's not racing today, but the fact that he/his team even considered it is wrong on so many levels. I don't give a tinkers shit who's at fault, but someone - a person - died last night and this puke was involved. To then go out the next day and plan to race like it's 'business as usual' is beyond disrespectful.

What a jackass.
Old 08-10-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 307 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I think Tony will be OK. I think all he needs to say is that he never saw him and he's horrified and upset .. and I think he'll take the remainder of the year off. The he'll be back next year and dedicate races to Ward, demand Nascar change rules regarding this, etc. He knows how to work this.

I think, at the end of the day, this is a "racing thing" that wasn't done on purpose and things will continue on... maybe with a silent lap on lap 13 during some race.
He better hire people who know "how to work this." And "This" is putting it lightly.
Old 08-10-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's consider the following:

1. The race was held at night on a track that parts of it was less than ideally lit.

2. Kevin Ward was wearing a near-black racing suit.

3. Ward stepped onto the middle of a track full of Sprint cars traveling at around 50-60 mph with poor visibility out of the right front view, notoriously tricky handling, and drivers wearing vision-impairing peel offs.

Combine the three and you had a perfect storm recipe for a horrible tragedy. People forget Ward was nearly run over just a few seconds earlier before the collision with Stewart's car.
Old 08-10-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With such dangerous conditions it's amazing that every other driver managed to avoid him except Stewart.

These cars are designed to drift around the corners with the ass hanging out, and Stewart has demonstrated his ability to do in a controlled manner, often within inches of other cars, thousands of times. He knows exactly what happens when you punch it.
Old 08-10-14, 05:59 PM

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I know he's not racing today, but the fact that he/his team even considered it is wrong on so many levels. I don't give a tinkers shit who's at fault, but someone - a person - died last night and this puke was involved. To then go out the next day and plan to race like it's 'business as usual' is beyond disrespectful.

What a jackass.
This.

Hell, I can't imagine even driving more this season. Though being the father of a twenty year old, I may not be the most objective.
Old 08-10-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the 'business as usual' from the team was pretty tone deaf. It's not surprising that the first instinct was to race today, he was probably in shock when he thought that. I can't believe the team even considered it, or worse, announced it though.
Old 08-10-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No way he drops out of the season. It sucks, but it looked like an accident to me. He needs to be careful with how he handles but he should make a statement and move on. Sad, but this seems like the chance you pay if this is your sport.
Old 08-10-14, 08:05 PM
Banned

I wouldn't have held it against him if he raced today. Many deal with grief by moving on and keeping busy, others completely fall apart for 8 years. It is what it is. Ward threw an ignorant temper tantrum that cost him his life. Sucks. Move on.
Old 08-10-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley View Post
I wouldn't have held it against him if he raced today. Many deal with grief by moving on and keeping busy, others completely fall apart for 8 years. It is what it is. Ward threw an ignorant temper tantrum that cost him his life. Sucks. Move on.
I'm not a Tony Stewart fan, but this is right. Walking out in the middle of what is essentially a highway...at night...wearing black...recipe for disaster.
Old 08-10-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazing that we could even see the driver in the video with it being night and him wearing that pitch black stealth suit. It must have been computer enhanced by the CSI techs like on TV.
Old 08-10-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 699 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Amazing that we could even see the driver in the video with it being night and him wearing that pitch black stealth suit. It must have been computer enhanced by the CSI techs like on TV.
Looking from a distance isn't always the same as seeing something up close.
Old 08-10-14, 11:14 PM

With such dangerous conditions it's amazing that every other driver managed to avoid him except Stewart.
Every other driver??. Sorry, I only saw one other car that avoided him after he started to walk/run to the middle of the track.
Old 08-10-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

world of difference seeing it through a camera from the stands versus seeing it through a helmet visor with multiple tear-offs that are covered in dirt.
Old 08-11-14, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I agree.

A civil suit will be tough to win (at least a big payout) too because there is obviously some negligence on the part of Ward. This is assuming that there is no determination of intent by Stewart.

That being said, Stewart is fucked going forward. I can't see any sponsors touching him.
You are thinking of Maryland law where you live. New York is not pure contributory negligence but comparative negligence. So he can be partially negligent and still win.
Old 08-11-14, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

So if I hit and kill someone with my car but am not charged with anything I'm supposed to take off of work for an extended period of time?
Old 08-11-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
So if I hit and kill someone with my car but am not charged with anything I'm supposed to take off of work for an extended period of time?
If you are accidentally involved in the killing of a co-worker, you wouldn't consider taking some time off?
Old 08-11-14, 08:50 AM

My opinion on this as a Tony Stewart fan. Not that it really matters.

Tony had zero reason to be upset with Ward. Probably had no idea the kid was upset with him. There are no spotters telling him whats going on and no communication with his crew. To say Tony was trying to "scare' the kid imply he saw him coming and knew what was going on. That's really not possible in the time between the initial crash and the accident.

A Radio host in Az and 20 year sprint car driver broke it down perfectly.

PHOENIX - When radio talk show host Bruce St. James is not on the air for 92.3 KTAR, you can most likely find him on the racetrack.

“I can tell you from firsthand experience, it took a while for me to get comfortable with the fact that you really couldn’t see a lot out of the right side of the race car,” said St. James.

St. James has been racing sprint cars professionally for 16 years. He regrets watching the disturbing video of Saturday night’s crash , but believes he knows why it happened.

“He had no idea that Kevin Ward had hit the fence and spun out. You would not know that. There are no mirrors in these cars, they don’t have a pit crew talking to you giving you updates,” St. James said.

He says the tracks are often dark, vision is limited, and drivers don’t expect a person to be walking on the track during a race.

“I don’t think it’s intentional,” he said. “I’ve heard people reference Tony Stewart’s anger and anger issues in the past, and the only problem I have with that is he had no reason to be angry. He had just passed Kevin Ward Jr.”

This is going to miss with Tony's head for years. I think Saturday night into Sunday morning he was trying to think about SHR and not costing them anything else. Once reality set in they found a back up driver and he went home.
Old 08-11-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cetainly not the best video evidence ever, but in the video that was previously posted it sure looked like Stewart saw the Ward, slowed down, acknowledged him, and THEN accellerated further down the track. Is there a video that clearly shows something different?
Old 08-11-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
If you are accidentally involved in the killing of a co-worker, you wouldn't consider taking some time off?
No, probably not. If it was paid time off maybe. Not if were in a line of work where I got paid based off of performance.
Old 08-11-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would your place of employment let you take the time off for a extended time?
Old 08-11-14, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mike45 View Post
Would your place of employment let you take the time off for a extended time?
Of course not but Tony is an independent contractor. He doesn't get time off. Now he'll still get paid for the race because he's a car owner but he does have to pay the fill in driver and that fill in driver would get any winnings that would have gone to Stewart if he were driving.
Old 08-11-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, probably not. If it was paid time off maybe. Not if were in a line of work where I got paid based off of performance.
I think if I was involved in an incident that killed a co-worker I'd be overcome with enough shock and guilt (even needless guilt) that I would want to take a few days off to get myself together.
Old 08-11-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course not but Tony is an independent contractor. He doesn't get time off. Now he'll still get paid for the race because he's a car owner but he does have to pay the fill in driver and that fill in driver would get any winnings that would have gone to Stewart if he were driving.
Stewart also operates in a different world than ours. Obviously he was ready to race yesterday. But he 'had' to take the race off because he needs to make sure he's doing the 'right' thing PR wise and he has to keep his sponsors happy.

You don't want fans and your sponsors turning on you. He might not have made any money by not racing but in the long run it was probably the right move, financially speaking.
Old 08-11-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry, but other than the car before Stewart that NARROWLY avoids him I see most of the cars including Stewart being slower than the initial ones that first passed the car when it first spun out.

Other points to notice, the time between when he gets OUT of the car and gets hit is barely 10 seconds. Next, what does this kid do after that first car that was going pretty fast if you ask me passes by him. He steps FARTHER down the track almost into the path of the 2nd car that avoids him and then Stewart ends up hitting him after that car goes by. This guy(my condolences to his family) I feel is very responsible as well for his death if there is any blame at all to be passed around.

Finally, should Tony have even thought of racing the next day? In my opinion, no. BUT I'm not going to be the one to tell the next person how he/she should grieve the death of another person no matter what the situation was.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.