Fantasy Football Talk 2014

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy Football Talk 2014

Old 01-06-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2014

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
So Cobb had 80 yards receiving and two TDs plus six yards rushing, while Dez had 99 yards receiving and two TDs. Was there a bonus or something that pushed Dez that much farther?
Yes. Bonuses for length of TD.
Old 01-06-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yes. Bonuses for length of TD.
Gotcha. That would certainly take some value away from Cobb. (Our league used to have bonuses for long TDs then we decided that they were already getting yardage points so that was like double-dipping.)
Old 01-06-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
If you and your league mates think so then can I please join your league next year?
Ok, maybe it was a bit of a stretch, but another playoff game with 100+ yards and I can see him in the RB2 range, despite his history.

Oh, is he going to be a FA next year? How ridiculous is it that CAR spent all that money on Deangelo Williams and Stewart, only to have both be injury prone the entire time.
Old 01-06-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Ok, maybe it was a bit of a stretch, but another playoff game with 100+ yards and I can see him in the RB2 range, despite his history.
If Stacy and Ball were drafted as RB1's this year off of their 2013 campaign, Stewart would certainly be a feasible RB2. I can't see myself drafting him in the first couple of rounds though.

CJ Anderson will be an interesting player for drafts next year. His performance down the stretch, and the changing of Denver's offensive philosophy, make him attractive. One early ranking I've seen linked from Yahoo has him in Tier 1 of RBs (right alongside Bell, Charles, Murray, Lynch, Foster, and Forte). That'll be tough for me to pull the trigger at that price. How often has the guy projected to be Denver's RB1 ended the season that way?
Old 01-06-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

Oh, is he going to be a FA next year? How ridiculous is it that CAR spent all that money on Deangelo Williams and Stewart, only to have both be injury prone the entire time.
I was thinking he might, but it appears he's still under contract as is Williams. Who really knows what's going to happen, but I could see him as an RB2 if he goes into the season as the starter. Maybe around the value of Ben Tate going into last year, which wasn't intended to be a cautionary tale but might as well be.

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
If Stacy and Ball were drafted as RB1's this year off of their 2013 campaign, Stewart would certainly be a feasible RB2. I can't see myself drafting him in the first couple of rounds though.

CJ Anderson will be an interesting player for drafts next year. His performance down the stretch, and the changing of Denver's offensive philosophy, make him attractive. One early ranking I've seen linked from Yahoo has him in Tier 1 of RBs (right alongside Bell, Charles, Murray, Lynch, Foster, and Forte). That'll be tough for me to pull the trigger at that price. How often has the guy projected to be Denver's RB1 ended the season that way?
That would be tough, but think of how high Ball went this year without the record of results Anderson produced, and he wouldn't have the injury and/or mileage concerns of some of those other guys.

But thanks for reminding me of 2005, when I drafted Mike Anderson with the last pick of the first round of a two-year-keeper league.
Old 01-06-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Heck, Gerhart was drafted as an RB2. I'm sure someone will still draft Stankey next year as an RB2 because of workload. RBs look more precarious than ever, but WR looks deeper than ever (though obviously a lot can change)

The main guy that's going to be rocketing up draft boards next year is Odell Beckham Jr. Jimmy Graham drops a bit, which makes seeing where Gronkowski goes interesting. Andre Johnson fell off a cliff. Josh Gordon is still a headcase but people will remember 2013.
Old 01-06-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But thanks for reminding me of 2005, when I drafted Mike Anderson with the last pick of the first round of a two-year-keeper league.
Oh, I have my own history with Denver RBs. In 2006, I went along Mike Shanahan's evil ride of the unpredictable Bell backfield. In 2007, I drafted Travis Henry (passing on Brian Westbrook, who ended up as the top fantasy RB that year). In 2008, I accidentally drafted Selvin Young instead of Deangelo Williams. DeWill single-handedly won leagues that year. Does anyone remember Selvin Young? It seemed I kept drafting Knowshon Moreno with him always disappointing. The year I bailed on Moreno? 2013 of course.
Old 01-06-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I have my own history with Denver RBs. In 2006, I went along Mike Shanahan's evil ride of the unpredictable Bell backfield. In 2007, I drafted Travis Henry (passing on Brian Westbrook, who ended up as the top fantasy RB that year). In 2008, I accidentally drafted Selvin Young instead of Deangelo Williams. DeWill single-handedly won leagues that year. Does anyone remember Selvin Young? It seemed I kept drafting Knowshon Moreno with him always disappointing. The year I bailed on Moreno? 2013 of course.
That's a real history of shit right there. Anderson was OK for a year (1000 yards, 12 TDs), but was cut in the second year, and when your keepers are for two years, dumping your first-round pick is a significant hit. I don't remember Selvin Young other than vague familiarity, but Travis Henry is pretty familiar, another speculative prospect based on talent and situation. I suppose the good part is that I've rarely landed the Denver RBs (though I did "discover" Rod Smith, Brandon Marshall, and Eric Decker in our league). They did get me peripherally, though, when I drafted new Redskin Clinton Portis instead of Shaun Alexander before Alexander's MVP season. I try to avoid emotion in fantasy, but I didn't like Alexander and that played a part in it.
Old 01-06-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had Bell in one of the two leagues I won and Murray in the other. Bell was my earliest draft so he might have dropped afterward. The Murray draft was my latest and I remember I was also looking at both Bell and Zac Stacy then ended up going with Foster, which worked out but wouldn't have been as good as Bell.
Sounds like you were really fortunate to avoid the early round RB1 landmines this season (ADP, McCoy, Ball, Martin, Stacy, Bush, Bernard, Ellington). Unless you have special powers of analysis and prediction. In which case, LET US KNOW BEFORE THE SEASON AND NOT AFTER!!!

I don't remember Selvin Young other than vague familiarity, but Travis Henry is pretty familiar, another speculative prospect based on talent and situation.
That Selvin Young pick still steams me years later ... probably why I know psychologically I could never handle playing for big money I had Deangelo in my "watch list", hoping he would drop to me that round. When my turn came up, Williams was still there! Though Young was highest ranking player remaining in the autodraft rankings. And then ... I hit the wrong f$%&ing button and drafted Young Williams went with the next pick. And if you don't remember how they stacked up for 2008: Young, 319 total yards and 1 TD; Williams, 1636 total yards and 20 TDs.

Travis Henry was really hyped up that year. At that point in his career, he had 3 seasons of 1200+ rushing yards for inferior teams. Then he was going to the mighty Broncos, who at that point seemingly could take a guy off the street and make a 1000 yard rusher out of him. And ... Henry got hurt and never played after that season.

They did get me peripherally, though, when I drafted new Redskin Clinton Portis instead of Shaun Alexander before Alexander's MVP season. I try to avoid emotion in fantasy, but I didn't like Alexander and that played a part in it.
Ugh ... Shaun Alexander I had the #1 pick in the draft in the year following his MVP season. So of course I picked him. Ladanian Tomlinson went next at #2. And you may remember how that went. One guy's career fell off the cliff. The other had a record-breaking season.
Old 01-06-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like you were really fortunate to avoid the early round RB1 landmines this season (ADP, McCoy, Ball, Martin, Stacy, Bush, Bernard, Ellington). Unless you have special powers of analysis and prediction. In which case, LET US KNOW BEFORE THE SEASON AND NOT AFTER!!!
If I'm the RB whisperer, I probably shouldn't mention that in the league in which I had Bell, my first pick (second overall) was Shady. In another, my first three picks were Lynch, Demaryius, and Jordy, which sounds really great on paper, but I went with a two-headed RB2: CJ Spiller and Toby Gerhart. Then inconsistency, bad luck, and QB/TE problems had me barely sneaking into the playoffs at 6-8 (and losing in the first round). My other league doesn't really count, since Yahoo's mobile app was down and they autodrafted me Forte first and Bernard third.

I never drafted high enough to get AP. I wanted Ball and took him in a lot of mock drafts, but then he ended up rising too quickly on draft boards (no way I was going to take him as high as sixth, and he was always gone by the turnaround). Stacy I had last year but was a little wary this year, and Martin I wasn't going to touch with a 10-foot pole.

That Selvin Young pick still steams me years later ... probably why I know psychologically I could never handle playing for big money I had Deangelo in my "watch list", hoping he would drop to me that round. When my turn came up, Williams was still there! Though Young was highest ranking player remaining in the autodraft rankings. And then ... I hit the wrong f$%&ing button and drafted Young Williams went with the next pick. And if you don't remember how they stacked up for 2008: Young, 319 total yards and 1 TD; Williams, 1636 total yards and 20 TDs.
That sucks. As long as I've played fantasy, it was always an in-person league till last year. I had some problems with Yahoo this year, and with time expiring, but haven't hit a wrong button yet. Half of the benefit of mock drafts is just learning how that particular service works.

Travis Henry was really hyped up that year. At that point in his career, he had 3 seasons of 1200+ rushing yards for inferior teams. Then he was going to the mighty Broncos, who at that point seemingly could take a guy off the street and make a 1000 yard rusher out of him. And ... Henry got hurt and never played after that season.
I bet Henry was like a top-five pick that year.

Ugh ... Shaun Alexander I had the #1 pick in the draft in the year following his MVP season. So of course I picked him. Ladanian Tomlinson went next at #2. And you may remember how that went. One guy's career fell off the cliff. The other had a record-breaking season.
I remember that well! I couldn't stand Alexander because he always was looking out for his own stats and paycheck. Not surprising that he dropped off after getting his payday, but no way you can't draft him first after a season like that.
Old 01-06-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's funny is that with Shanahan's name popping up for the coaching vacancies, that's the first thing I thought about, what kind of shanahanagans he's going to pull with rbs when he gets the job.