Fantasy Football Talk 2014

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy Football Talk 2014

Old 08-27-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2014

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
Draft question for the experts on here. I have 0.5 PPR League draft where you also draft an individual defensive player. Around what round should I draft my defensive player and should I also draft a backup defensive player?
how many rounds? If you are only getting 1 defensive player, which is totally ridiculous btw, then wait until the very end. No point wasting a pick on a guy early when only 10 - 14 will be taken. FWIW, most IDP leagues do at least 3-6 players. Having only one is absurd.
Old 08-27-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 defensive player should be picked after your team defense and before your kicker. Your last 3 picks should be D/ST, D, K. There is no reason to do otherwise.
Old 08-27-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm View Post
another ESPN draft, 5th pick

LeSean McCoy RB
Jimmy Graham TE
Le'Veon Bell RB
Alfred Morris RB
Randall Cobb WR
Vincent Jackson WR
Pierre Garcon WR
Joique Bell RB
Kendall Wright WR
Matt Ryan QB
Mike Wallace WR
Danny Woodhead RB
Buccaneers D/ST D/ST
Philip Rivers QB
Brandin Cooks WR
Blair Walsh K
Are ESPN rankings really off, or is this a small league (less than 10)? Jimmy Graham in the middle of the second? Seems like a great team, depending on size of the league.
Old 08-27-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
how many rounds? If you are only getting 1 defensive player, which is totally ridiculous btw, then wait until the very end. No point wasting a pick on a guy early when only 10 - 14 will be taken. FWIW, most IDP leagues do at least 3-6 players. Having only one is absurd.
18 rounds. You start a defense and one individual defensive player.
Old 08-27-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Are ESPN rankings really off, or is this a small league (less than 10)? Jimmy Graham in the middle of the second? Seems like a great team, depending on size of the league.
It was a 10 team league. I thought it was nuts seeing him go so late. A lot of the players I ended up getting I thought should have gone a bit higher than they did.
Old 08-27-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

18 rounds. You start a defense and one individual defensive player.
ok. my point still stands. that should be your last player drafted. there are like 20+ players in the league who avg. more than 10 sacks a season. last year 19.5 was the most (mathis). not sure how your league scores it, but it may be better to target guys who get tackles (burfict) because you get more points and consistent points.
Old 08-27-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
ok. my point still stands. that should be your last player drafted. there are like 20+ players in the league who avg. more than 10 sacks a season. last year 19.5 was the most (mathis). not sure how your league scores it, but it may be better to target guys who get tackles (burfict) because you get more points and consistent points.
1 point per solo tackle, 0.5 per tackle assist, 2 points per sack, 3 points per interception, 2 points per forced fumble, 2 points per fumble recovery, 6 points per defensive touchdown, 2 points per safety, 2 points per blocked kick and 1 point per pass defended.
Old 08-27-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our idp league (7 guys) you definitely go after tackles. Linebackers over defensive ends for sure.

With only one idp you might as well pick last. There will be 20 linebackers with over 100 tackles, plus you could choose the top defense backs and ends. No worries.
Old 08-27-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Did anyone else notice that Tim Wright went to NE in the Mankins deal? I started Wright a few times last year and was annoyed by his inconsistency, but being in NE raises the eyebrows.

I had two drafts coming up in which I thought I was eighth and tried some mocks from that position. Verdict: I hated it. In one, I took Jimmy Graham and a top receiver in the second, but ended up really poor at running back. In another, Lynch fell to me, then there were no other top talents available, so I took Brees, and that turned out poorly as well. My top receiver was Andre Johnson, and my whole team looked like a flashback to 2010.

Fortunately I turned out to be wrong (misremembered or whatever), and in one draft I ended up fourth (nice--Forte) and in tonight's I'm sixth. I now think of Lacy as a top choice after the first four, so I can get him if someone takes Megatron or Peyton ahead of me. Or since this is a local league, someone will probably take Lynch. I did one mock last night in which the top five RBs went in front of me so I took Megatron, then was lucky to have DeMarco Murray drop to me in the second. But never mind about mock drafts, which don't matter. The last two drafts I have are in person so I care more about them. And they have gumballs on the line, whereas the first two didn't.

My first two drafts (spoilered because no one cares ):

Spoiler:
12 teams, no PPR, picked second overall, dictated last half of draft to wife while driving:

2 LeSean McCoy, Phi RB
23 Le'Veon Bell, Pit RB
26 Alshon Jeffery, Chi WR
47 Percy Harvin, Sea WR
50 Cam Newton, Car QB
71 Jeremy Maclin, Phi WR
74 Golden Tate, Det WR
95 Khiry Robinson, NO RB
98 Kyle Rudolph, Min TE
119 Mike Evans, TB WR
122 Andy Dalton, Cin QB
143 Shonn Greene, Ten RB
146 Patriots D/ST D/ST
167 C.J. Anderson, Den RB [auto-pick while I was getting dinner]
170 Phil Dawson, SF K
191 Kenny Stills, NO WR

Spoiler:
Eight teams, no PPR, picked fourth overall, Yahoo locked me out and auto-picked other than rounds 4-9:

1. (4) Matt Forte (Chi - RB)
2. (13) Dez Bryant (Dal - WR)
3. (20) Giovani Bernard (Cin - RB)
4. (29) Randall Cobb (GB - WR)
5. (36) Rob Gronkowski (NE - TE)
6. (45) Percy Harvin (Sea - WR)
7. (52) Matthew Stafford (Det - QB)
8. (61) Bishop Sankey (Ten - RB)
9. (68) Shane Vereen (NE - RB)
10. (77) Kansas City (KC - DEF)
11. (84) Justin Tucker (Bal - K)
12. (93) Eric Decker (NYJ - WR)
13. (100) Golden Tate (Det - WR)
14. (109) Colin Kaepernick (SF - QB)
15. (116) Martellus Bennett (Chi - TE)

I ended up with Harvin and Golden Tate on both teams so we'll see how that goes. I'm fine with Harvin as my third receiver, but he's second on the ESPN team, which concerns me. Someone offered to trade me an upgrade at TE for Jeffrey but I couldn't lose him considering my WR pool. Between the first and second drafts, I kind of soured on Cam (who I'd taken in a lot of mocks) so we'll see how that affects my remaining drafts.
Old 08-27-14, 09:05 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

QB - Luck, Smith
WR - Brown, Jackson, Benjamin, Decker
RB - Charles, Morris, Pierre Thomas, DeAngelo Williams
TE - Ertz

I was offered the following trade

In: Victor Cruz, Le'veon Bell & Steven Ridlay
Out: Jamaal Charles

I already dropped 2 players to possibly make way for the trade. Sure it's Charles, but I'm thinking more about depth than anything else. And with Bell not facing any form of discipline for his off the field issues last week, that makes it a little better
Old 08-27-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk God

I'd wait to see if Ridley even makes the final roster. There's a chance (likely small) that he doesn't make the 53.
Old 08-28-14, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished the 12-teamer in which I picked sixth. It was unpredictable not only because I hadn't played with these owners before, but because a number of them hadn't played FF before. We did it online via ESPN (though some of us met in person as well), and it's kind of hard to screw up with suggested picks constantly served up to you. Three teams did autodraft, but that's hard to judge too because of ESPN's pre-settings. I was surprised to see Stafford go 18th overall, but then I learned that that owner had set a QB to be picked in the second round and the big three were already gone. One other autodrafter ended up with only Josh McCown in the 15th round, so that could have been some kind of setting as well.

Overemphasizing certain positions is probably the greatest deviation you can have from the ESPN settings. I've been targeting Stafford-Cam in the fifth round of many drafts, but the QBs were going fast and furious: 3.02 Luck, 3.04 Cam, 3.08 RGIII, 6.01 Rivers (to the owner who already had Rodgers at 1.12), 6.03 Ryan, 6.04 Wilson (to the owner that had taken RGIII), 6.12 Foles. That's 11 QBs off the board before I had taken any, so I figured I better grab Brady at 7.06. I figured I was the last one to get a QB but then Romo went a couple picks later, then the McCown thing.

After the top four RBs went, I figured the Lynch fan in front of me was going to pick him and prepared to pick Lacy, but then he went Peyton. I hemmed and hawed before landing on Lynch. In the second I was lucky to have a choice of Demaryius and Dez, then went for another high-upside receiver in Nelson. That left me a little thin at RB so I took Spiller and Gerhart back to back (after a homer took Bishop Sankey at 4.01). I reached a bit for Christine Michael at 9.06, but I wanted Lynch coverage and I figured the local fans would be aware of him. Luckily the guy I was considering in that spot (after Pitta and Jordan Reed had just gone), Kyle Rudolph, was still there in the 10th. I missed Carlos Hyde by one pick in the 11th, drafted a backup TE with the same bye week as my starter , and decided against further insuring myself with Robert Turbin because let's get real, you can't take three guys from the same team at the same position.

6 Marshawn Lynch, Sea RB
19 Demaryius Thomas, Den WR
30 Jordy Nelson, GB WR
43 C.J. Spiller, Buf RB
54 Toby Gerhart, Jac RB
67 Golden Tate, Det WR
78 Tom Brady, NE QB
91 Terrance Williams, Dal WR
102 Christine Michael, Sea RB
115 Kyle Rudolph, Min TE
126 Bernard Pierce, Bal RB
139 Patriots D/ST D/ST
150 Carson Palmer, Ari QB
163 Ladarius Green, SD TE
174 Dan Bailey, Dal K
187 Steve Johnson, SF WR
Old 08-28-14, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cool, so by what game do you think Turbin's going to take over for an injured Lynch?

More and more, I'm buying into taking a QB late (maybe not as late as the QBBC approach, but certainly in the middle rounds). It's hard to pass up on Peyton, Manning, and Brees if they fall to you past their ADP (which they won't,but you never know) but you get so behind on the other skill positions and QB seems deep.

I'm still hedging on draft strategy if you pick 6-9... if Graham falls to you, I think you take him, but then you really have to scramble... by the second pick, the receivers are still good and the rbs have more question marks, but later in the draft the RBs are even worse.

In one draft, I picked Gerhart in the middle of round 3... but that's because his ranking in Yahoo was higher than my next pick, and I was higher on him than the other rbs available (Doug Martin, Ryan Mathews, Jennings, Spiller). It was still a huge reach, but he's my RB1 and that seems like trouble, but I wouldn't consider any of those other guys my number one. In that league (drafting 8), I went WR/WR, but only because someone picked Graham right before me.
Old 08-28-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still think taking a top QB is a big advantage. I think someone is going to throw for 50 plus touchdowns this year with the way they've been calling penalties in the preseason so far. I played in two leagues last year and both guys who drafted Peyton made the playoffs and one guy really had no one else besides Peyton he drafted Chris Johnson and David Wilson with his first two picks and luckily got Peyton with the last pick of the third round. You had a 64 point advantage in a 4pt TD pass league and a 96 point advantage in a 6pt per TD pass league over Drew Bress who threw 39 TDs. That's a huge advantage.
Old 08-28-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Peyton's ADP was down last year, but after a career year, 1st round seems super high and feels somewhat like chasing points. The rule changes have made scoring go up, but I think that just means there are more QBs that are going to score a lot of points. I still think Manning, Brees, and Rodgers are a class above, and certainly RBs, even at the top, are no sure thing (but that's why you need to draft a bunch of them).

If you're going with point differential per position, that's also the case for Graham and (if healthy) Gronk (maybe Thomas).
Old 08-28-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took Peyton 4th in a 10 team league. We are a 6pt passing TD league. My team could be great or horrible. No money so I didn't care. Nelson, Garçon, Decker, Stacy, Gerhart, Gronk, Rice, Boykin, Coopef, Miller, Amendola, Daniels, McCown, Tucker, Steelers.
Old 08-28-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Finished my league draft tonight.

My picks:

QB - Cam Newton, Nick Foles, Alex Smith
WR - Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Mike Wallace, Sammy Watkins, Anquan Boldin, Doug Baldwin
RB - Arian Foster, LeVeon Bell, Chris Johnson
TE - Greg Olsen
K - Shaun Suisham
Def - Cleveland

So if anyone has any of these players, dump them - they'll either get badly injured or have a horrible year.
Old 08-28-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post

So if anyone has any of these players, dump them - they'll either get badly injured or have a horrible year.
x2
Old 08-29-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In my very first fantasy draft, I took Randall Cunningham second overall, then he got knocked out for the season in the very first game. Ever since then, I've HAD top quarterbacks, but I don't recall DRAFTING them. I can see the benefit of having that stud, but when constructing my team, I really prefer the balance. I admit that my league starts one QB, three RB, three WR, and a TE so I need deep talent.

The mocks I did where I selected Graham in the first or Brees in the second I wasn't really satisfied with my post-draft roster, though I might have been fine actually playing the games. Instead I started going for a Thomas-Bryant-type WR followed by a second-tier RB.

My final draft will be a card drawing at the actual event so I can't plan. I've tried mocks at the extreme positions of 1 and 8, and my conclusion is that it's hard to go too wrong in an eight-team draft.

Cool, so by what game do you think Turbin's going to take over for an injured Lynch?
That's my worst nightmare. The common thinking is that Turbin's more complementary (but he's still more of a straight-ahead guy than a pass-catcher) but that Michael would take over if a full-timer was needed. Of course I heard on the radio yesterday about how little Michael had been playing in the preseason and blah blah. With any luck, Lynch will be fine and Michael will just be expensive insurance.

In one draft, I picked Gerhart in the middle of round 3... but that's because his ranking in Yahoo was higher than my next pick, and I was higher on him than the other rbs available (Doug Martin, Ryan Mathews, Jennings, Spiller). It was still a huge reach, but he's my RB1 and that seems like trouble, but I wouldn't consider any of those other guys my number one. In that league (drafting 8), I went WR/WR, but only because someone picked Graham right before me.
Gerhart seems to be falling so I've taken him a couple times. He might be at best a high-volume low-YPC guy, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by Coral View Post

My picks:

QB - Cam Newton, Nick Foles, Alex Smith
WR - Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Mike Wallace, Sammy Watkins, Anquan Boldin, Doug Baldwin
RB - Arian Foster, LeVeon Bell, Chris Johnson
TE - Greg Olsen
K - Shaun Suisham
Def - Cleveland

Seems like a lot of QBs relative to your RBs. Do you have odd lineups, or are you just figuring you'll always flex in a WR?
Old 08-29-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I got Gerhart in the 7th or 8th.
Old 08-29-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I think I got Gerhart in the 7th or 8th.
I was about to look up my drafts until remembering I've recorded them right here in this thread. , Apparently I've only drafted him once, in the fifth round of a 12-teamer. I reached a little at the time because I was nervous about having Spiller as my #2.
Old 08-29-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a draft for a work league tonight where you can start any kind of lineup you want with the exception being you cannot start more than 3 RBs and 3 TEs. I usually start 4-5 Wrs in this league, but I'm cursed in it. 5 teams go to the playoffs. I was 3rd in points scored my first year and didn't make it to the playoffs. 4th in points scored my second year and didn't make it to the playoffs and 6th in scoring last year and didn't make it to the playoffs. I think the fantasy gods may hate me. I keep losing by one point or the other teams defense will score 2-3 tds on me....
Old 08-29-14, 09:55 PM

i had my league draft tonight...
heres my roster
12 team PPR league

QB Nick Foles
RB Doug Martin
RB Zack Stacy
WR Percy Harvin
WR Victor Cruz
TE Jimmy Graham
Flex Knowshon Moreno
DST Carolina
K Alex Henery
BN Cam Newton
BN Jeremy Maclin
BN Jordan Matthews
BN DeAndre Hopkins
BN Andre Williams
BN Mark Ingram
BN Garrett Graham
BN Eagles
BN Mike Nugent

how do i look?

Last edited by Da Punisher 611; 08-29-14 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-29-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a draft for a work league tonight where you can start any kind of lineup you want with the exception being you cannot start more than 3 RBs and 3 TEs. I usually start 4-5 Wrs in this league, but I'm cursed in it. 5 teams go to the playoffs. I was 3rd in points scored my first year and didn't make it to the playoffs. 4th in points scored my second year and didn't make it to the playoffs and 6th in scoring last year and didn't make it to the playoffs. I think the fantasy gods may hate me. I keep losing by one point or the other teams defense will score 2-3 tds on me....
You should start five QBs.
Old 08-29-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Just came back from my draft and I'm still shocked at the players that I got in the first two rounds. I had the 11th pick out of 12 in a 12 Team PPR League. The league gives one point for reception and 4pts. for throwing TDs.
We need to start a QB, RB, 2 WRs, 2 RB/WR flex, TE, K and D.

This was a snake draft and I figure that I was going to be shit out of luck for RBs and will have to load on WRs but it turned out the opposite:

Based on rounds picked:
M. Forte
E. Lacy
A. Luck
K. Allen
C. Patterson
J. Witten
C. Shorts
T. Williams
T. Richardson
S. Hauschka
Cardinals D
A. Dalton
D. McCluster
S. Greene

I screwed up on the bye weeks and I know I'm weak at WRs but overall I'm happy with what I have based on the pick I got.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.