Reload this Page >

Fantasy Football Talk 2014

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Fantasy Football Talk 2014

Old 09-09-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2014

Went 1-1, won easily in the league where I have Megatron, J. Thomas, and Stafford, despite getting 0 from the Rams and 4.8 out of D. Thomas (though I guess that will be par for the course when you have multiple Denver receivers). Unfortunately I had top waiver spot, but now that I'm in 1st it's reset based on standings and I have 10th, pretty lame that there was really no way to ever use that top waiver spot.

Looking at who's available, and McCluster is projected by NFL to get 24.3 this week. WTF?

Lost my Yahoo league by a bunch...last year, it was something crazy like 9 out of 13 weeks I played the top scoring team in the league. Naturally, the same happened this week. Stacy and Gerhart are a horrible 1-2 tandem.
Old 09-09-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Ugh, I have both Ben Tate and Bernard Pierce, iffy on both of them for next week.
Old 09-09-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
The two in-person leagues I care most about I was playing against Julius Thomas, and every time I looked up he was scoring. In one league, I had the lead but Julius outscored DeMaryius by 29 and I lost by 25.
As a D Thomas owner playing a J Thomas owner ... that was infuriating There should be a rule where if multiple receivers for the same team have the same last name, one of them should wear a nickname (ala "He Hate Me" and "Ochocinco"). Every time I'd see Thomas with the TD only to realize moments later it was not the Thomas I was looking for

My team underperformed ESPN projections by more than 40 points while losing to weekly high scorer. Same story as last year all over again. In a 10-team league, Danny Woodhead and Reuben Randle are easy drops to take stabs at some upside "flavor-of-the-week" pickups, right?
Old 09-09-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Just realized I could have won my game by starting Carson Palmer ahead of Tom Brady. I'm OK with that decision, though.

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
My team underperformed ESPN projections by more than 40 points while losing to weekly high scorer. Same story as last year all over again. In a 10-team league, Danny Woodhead and Reuben Randle are easy drops to take stabs at some upside "flavor-of-the-week" pickups, right?
One of our new owners scored second-high points for the week and lost.

Yeah, I think so. Who knows, of course, but it's worth the shot.
Old 09-09-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Had a very good opening week. Won my game and scored the most points in the league with 131.48 (20 more than 2nd most). LeVeon Bell and Megatron raked up the points, but the other players were decent contributors... even my bench was good.

I suspect something will go horribly wrong soon.
Old 09-09-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my first year doing a cbs league. I can't stand the interface so far, but hopefully it's just because I'm not used to it.
Old 09-09-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

In one league, I benched Ellington because of injury concerns. I think I could have inserted him in time when I found out he was playing, but I thought he might struggle. Felt like I made the right move when he fumbled early on. I ended up putting in Woodhead in his place. This move cost me a few points...and I ended up losing by less than a point.
Old 09-09-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
This is my first year doing a cbs league. I can't stand the interface so far, but hopefully it's just because I'm not used to it.
It sucks and they keep making it worse each year. I think they are trying to making it more tablet friendly, but it's not good on those either.
Old 09-09-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Stacy and Gerhart are a horrible 1-2 tandem.
I have Gerhart on one of my teams and started him. I'll be looking at anyone who can provide more production.

Got lucky in the two leagues I'm in. I relied on Megatron and Ryan Matthews to come back and win in the shallow 8 teamer league. And the other league I'm in (12 teams), I won by 20+ points or so, mainly because of Andrew Luck.

I pretty much have suspect RB's. Somehow, I have Rashad Jennings on both teams. The Giants look like shit and I'm not sure what to expect on that one going forward.
Old 09-09-14, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
Unfortunately I had top waiver spot, but now that I'm in 1st it's reset based on standings and I have 10th, pretty lame that there was really no way to ever use that top waiver spot.
That is lame, but how did you earn that top spot? Draft order?

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
It sucks and they keep making it worse each year. I think they are trying to making it more tablet friendly, but it's not good on those either.
I've used it for years, and it is definitely getting worse. Shouldn't tablet users have the app anyway?

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
I have Gerhart on one of my teams and started him. I'll be looking at anyone who can provide more production.
Yep, started him in my flex and will be happy to sit him down till he produces.

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
In one league, I benched Ellington because of injury concerns. I think I could have inserted him in time when I found out he was playing, but I thought he might struggle. Felt like I made the right move when he fumbled early on. I ended up putting in Woodhead in his place. This move cost me a few points...and I ended up losing by less than a point.
That's just the worst.
Old 09-09-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Funny thing is that I asked the commish of that league what the price is for it, and I think he said about $150. I use rtsports.com for the league I commish and it's less than half that. Best thing about that site is that it hasn't changed at all since I started using it in 2004 (except for adding certain features). The live scoring is a bit slower than CBS, but not by much.
Old 09-09-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't get it, what do you get for $150 bucks (or even $75) that you don't get with free leagues? Some kind of special custom settings?
Old 09-09-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

I always hear a lot of complaints about yahoo. That's free, right?
Old 09-09-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
That is lame, but how did you earn that top spot? Draft order?
Yeah drafted 10th. Which I prefer, since I ended up going Megatron/D. Thomas. Still sucked to lose it...but as was said, not really any obvious pickups after week 1. The Jags WR I suppose outperformed more than anybody?

Put a claim in for HOU dripping STL. I've never been able to predict D/ST well at all. But HOU looked good, OAK looked pretty terrible.
Old 09-09-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's all I had used until this year, now also in a league with the NFL app...I slightly prefer Yahoo I think. But neither are particularly impressive.
Old 09-09-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 139 Likes on 108 Posts

But you guys just said the cbs interface sucks and is getting worse. So what's the benefit? I actually though cbs had free leagues too.
Old 09-09-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
But you guys just said the cbs interface sucks and is getting worse. So what's the benefit? I actually though cbs had free leagues too.
I really don't know. I don't think anyone else knows the cost of it or really cares. It's what he's used for 17 years, so whatever. I don't know what the free leagues offer in terms of setup, customization, live scoring, reliability. The CBS app is pretty good though.

I like the one that I use for my league. I think once since 2004, they had a live scoring problem. No problem paying the $71 for it.
Old 09-09-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I am thinking of dropping Ben Tate for Terrence West but I am on the fence if Tate is healthy enough to play and somebody else picks him up?

Would anybody drop Russell Wilson for Carson Palmer in a 10 team league?

Ryan is my starter but Palmer scares me since he is just like Cutler and likes to throw INTs but the ceiling for Wilson is probably not that high and I doubt Russell has a lot of 300+yard passing games in the future.
Old 09-09-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I really don't know. I don't think anyone else knows the cost of it or really cares. It's what he's used for 17 years, so whatever. I don't know what the free leagues offer in terms of setup, customization, live scoring, reliability. The CBS app is pretty good though.

I like the one that I use for my league. I think once since 2004, they had a live scoring problem. No problem paying the $71 for it.
We use CBS and even though I think it still costs way to much it has gotten a lot better. After changing nothing for a few years now it changes quite a bit year-to-year, though some changes are definitely better than others. I coached my team to victory this week but still got raked over the coals in the weekly write-up today for starting the Seahawks DST over the Texans.
Old 09-09-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Would anybody drop Russell Wilson for Carson Palmer in a 10 team league?
Do you hate your team?
Old 09-09-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
We use CBS and even though I think it still costs way to much it has gotten a lot better. After changing nothing for a few years now it changes quite a bit year-to-year, though some changes are definitely better than others. I coached my team to victory this week but still got raked over the coals in the weekly write-up today for starting the Seahawks DST over the Texans.
I like ESPN and I think the template is much nicer than Yahoo for example. It's free and they have improved a lot especially with their iPhone/iPad app.
Old 09-09-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Cardinals D and was wondering what you guys think about dropping them for the Texans. I know it's only the first week but I was impressed by their showing (yeah it was the Redskins) and looking at their schedule, the Texans have a much softer schedule.
Old 09-09-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Starting the consensus top-ranked defense AT HOME, when CBS projected the Texans for a higher score? What were you thinking, man?

They criticized my "horrible decisions" of starting Ben Tate and Vincent Jackson over Chris Johnson and Roddy White--OK, maybe I deserved it for Jackson.

We're paying a fair amount for CBS, but we've had our league here for years, and it's nice to have the history. Last year I tried Yahoo and this year am trying ESPN. Yahoo is my least favorite so far, and I'm not even factoring in their massive service problems during draft days. I was walking to my draft (CBS league) and walked by a transit bus completely skinned by a Yahoo FF ad. I scoffed a bit, since it was not long after I'd had problems with them.
Old 09-09-14, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
I have the Cardinals D and was wondering what you guys think about dropping them for the Texans. I know it's only the first week but I was impressed by their showing (yeah it was the Redskins) and looking at their schedule, the Texans have a much softer schedule.
I haven't analyzed the teams, but I wouldn't have a problem with the move. The Cards have lost some significant players, and Houston has Watt and hopefully Clowney in a few weeks.
Old 09-09-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Cards have quite a few cupcakes coming up on their schedule as well, especially those delicious rack of Rams twice.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.