Reload this Page >

The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

Old 08-15-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 547 Likes on 445 Posts
Re: The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

The new logo is lame if you ask me. It feels like a friendlier version of the Attitude era logo to go more in line with their PG content they're all about now days.
Old 08-15-14, 08:11 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool news Dean Ambrose is getting his own movie called Lockdown. Can't wait to see it!
Old 08-15-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
The new logo is lame if you ask me. It feels like a friendlier version of the Attitude era logo to go more in line with their PG content they're all about now days.
You can subscribe to the Wonder Woman Network for only.........$9.99
Old 08-16-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

- The widow of Ultimate Warrior, Dana Warrior, is upset with remarks Hulk Hogan made to Grantland concerning her deceased husband. In the video interview that we posted earlier today, Hogan recounted his final encounter with Warrior, their contentious relationship, and how he learned of his shocking death.

Dana issued a statement on Facebook and Twitter tonight requesting that he not comment on her ex-husband. Her statement reads:

"Statement from Dana Warrior

"I've been really quiet since the passing of my husband and the father of my girls. Someone sent me what Mr Bollea had to say in video interview with Grantland yesterday and I would just like to ask him to stop.

"He is the only person in the WWE Universe who did not give a call or send a card. My girls asked why he didn't check on us like everyone else and I explained simply there isn't a camera at our mailbox or in the house when we receive our calls.

"I would ask respectfully Mr Bollea, for you to understand my girls hurt and just let some time pass before you say anything more.
Old 08-16-14, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Going to the house show in San Jose today. Pretty loaded show, hope it's fun. I'll post some pics and a little write up later.
Old 08-16-14, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cHXaXBAh3m4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XMg3Na1Rl80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-16-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

It was in the 90s in LA yesterday. That's no challenge, that's a refreshing cooldown!
Old 08-16-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Gh2WqETsk1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-16-14, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 330 Posts

The ice bucket challenge is for people who are too pussy to take part in a Polar Bear Plunge.
Old 08-17-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Love that HHH still managed to do his trademark spewing after dumping the water.
Old 08-17-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
WWE has officially adopted the network logo as the corporate logo
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/wwe...rk-1201282987/

And you can have the pleasure of this logo on your system of choosing for just....$9.99!
Old 08-17-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
And you can have the pleasure of this logo on your system of choosing for just....$9.99!
I wish there was an app ...
Old 08-17-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, NXT had an awesome match with Adrian Neville and Tyler Breeze. It also had Renee Young on commentary, which is always a pleasure. I truly think that they would have a golden announce team if they were to pair her with AJ Lee.
Old 08-17-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pics didn't come out so hot, but...

Does wwe have some sort of network?

Definitely a fun show with a good crowd. I'd say 8000 or so. Lots of kids and everyone was really into the show.

Ambrose and Rollins were fantastic. 15 minutes at full speed and I'm sure they'll go above and beyond that tonight.

Reigns Orton wasn't bad at all but it was probably more entertaining live than it would be on tv.

Cesaro teased the swing and got huge heat for it. Awesome spot.

Jericho and Wyatt seem to be clicking better and there were a bunch of funny spots with Flair as ref. Jericho and Flair did a strut-off that had the whole arena laughing.

Hogan is really pushing that he'll do another match. For them to let him say it on the mic must mean there's something to it. Hogan's probably jealous of all the attention sting's getting, but at least with sting there's a novelty to it. I can't imagine any wrestler on the planet I'd like to see in the ring with Hogan. Especially at his age, it's guaranteed to be terrible.

Last edited by Matt925; 08-17-14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

FWIW, NXT had an awesome match with Adrian Neville and Tyler Breeze.
If only they didn't
Spoiler:
have the schmoz ending. Though I get why that happened ... they're wanting to keep everyone strong for the next NXT special event.
Helluva match between Bayley and Sasha Banks too. I'd ask why we don't get women's matches like this on Raw. But the sad truth is that if you had a great 10+ minute Diva's match with chain wrestling and ring psychology on Raw, the crowd would probably shit on it

It also had Renee Young on commentary, which is always a pleasure. I truly think that they would have a golden announce team if they were to pair her with AJ Lee.
The golden team is Renee Young and William Regal. Which they have in their hands and refuse to use Maybe Renee seems better than she really is because the other guys are just so awful. Byron Saxton and that play-by-play guy have voices that are nearly indistinguishable to me. And they repeatedly got the names of the guys in the ring confused. Just awful.

Are 3 person announcing teams even needed for pro wrestling? Just a play by play guy and a color guy (girl) would be fine with me. 3 people just sounds cluttered and winds up with people talking over each other. 2 people seemed to work just fine with Ross/Lawler (for the Attitude era) and Monsoon/Heenan (for the 80's).

Has AJ Lee ever done real commentary? I mean besides when she'd be there when the person she's feuding with is in the ring (and she'd mostly just say snarky things about them).
Old 08-17-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
If only they didn't
Spoiler:
have the schmoz ending. Though I get why that happened ... they're wanting to keep everyone strong for the next NXT special event.
Helluva match between Bayley and Sasha Banks too. I'd ask why we don't get women's matches like this on Raw. But the sad truth is that if you had a great 10+ minute Diva's match with chain wrestling and ring psychology on Raw, the crowd would probably shit on it

The golden team is Renee Young and William Regal. Which they have in their hands and refuse to use Maybe Renee seems better than she really is because the other guys are just so awful. Byron Saxton and that play-by-play guy have voices that are nearly indistinguishable to me. And they repeatedly got the names of the guys in the ring confused. Just awful.

Are 3 person announcing teams even needed for pro wrestling? Just a play by play guy and a color guy (girl) would be fine with me. 3 people just sounds cluttered and winds up with people talking over each other. 2 people seemed to work just fine with Ross/Lawler (for the Attitude era) and Monsoon/Heenan (for the 80's).

Has AJ Lee ever done real commentary? I mean besides when she'd be there when the person she's feuding with is in the ring (and she'd mostly just say snarky things about them).
I wouldn't say 3 are needed, but sometimes 3 can work. I was watching SummerSlam 1991 the other day, which had Monsoon, Heenan and Piper on Commentary. Now I will grant you that you don't need Piper when you have the other two, but Piper got in a few good lines that had me rolling. In this setup, you had Heenan as the heel guy, Piper backing the faces, and Monsoon was kind of neutral, though obviously leaning face.

The problem with current WWE commentary is that Cole sucks. It's not all his fault, as announcers are told nowadays to sell everything under the sun except for the in ring action. And of course most of what they sell costs $9.99! It just seems like Vince has lost his way when it comes to commentary, as when he was in the booth, he was solid, and did a great job of getting the matches over.

But hell, announcing in most sports has turned to shit in the last decade or so.
Old 08-17-14, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WWE must really be hedging all of their future on the network, or at least that's what it seems.

While I would love it if they let Renee Young do commentary on a major WWE event, I think that she plans on taking the Jonathan Coachman route and trying to get on a "real" sports network. FWIW, I attended NXT Arrival for which she was present . She looks every bit as good in person as on TV, especially since she was wearing a tight sweater with black leather pants.
Old 08-17-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Predictions for tonight:

Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz - Miz
Bray Wyatt vs. Chris Jericho - Wyatt
Rusev vs. Jack Swagger - Swagger
Paige vs. AJ Lee - AJ
Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins - Rollins
Randy Orton vs. Roman Reigns - Reigns
Brie Bella vs. Stephanie McMahon - Steph
Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena - BROOOOCCCCCCK LESNAR
Old 08-17-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

They have run out of heels to feed Cena so I also seeing Lesnar winning.

With the ref's back turned-Ivan Koloff runs into the ring and gets Swagger in a Russian Bear Hug .
Old 08-17-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old school Summerslam report:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cLwQefFxFVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-17-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Ugh, it's already started having trouble playing and it's just the preshow.
Old 08-17-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This would never happen but my kids and I wrote this up.

Earlier in the night Rollins beats Ambrose in the lumberjack match. Cena beats Brock but is so beat up that Rollins comes out and cashes in his briefcase and wins the title. Ambrose comes out and challenges Rollins to a rematch. Rollins feeling confident agrees to a title match and get beat by Ambrose. You get the title on someone the fans are behind, Cena can take some time off, and you have Rollins and Ambrose feud over the title in different matches. You can also throw Reigns and Orton in for some tag matches or have the title switch hands between the four of them with makes every show unpredictable.
Old 08-17-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Ugh, it's already started having trouble playing and it's just the preshow.
Watching via my Roku. Other than a quick 3 second glitch when Rick Flair was talking, I've had no issues.
Old 08-17-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had 3 of those glitches so far on the 360.
Old 08-17-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No issues on my ps3, as usual.

Nice to get a commercial during the pre show match.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.