Reload this Page >

The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

Old 08-25-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

This Bella segment is horrible...They should be ashamed to put this product on tv.
Old 08-25-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
This Bella segment is horrible...They should be ashamed to put this product on tv.
Old 08-25-14, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The storytelling is so bad. Cena gets destroyed 8 days ago but he's running down to the ring like it never happened.
Old 08-25-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That line about holding hands in the womb is up there for worst line ever. Maybe it wasn't Nikki's hand, but she was holding Mae Young and Mark Henry's child.

Brie is so bad she makes Nikki come off like the Meryl Streep of the WWE.
Old 08-25-14, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The storytelling is so bad. Cena gets destroyed 8 days ago but he's running down to the ring like it never happened.
What gets me is of all the people they could've thrown into the ring to get destroyed by Cena ... they picked Bray Wyatt?!?!
Old 08-25-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So why does Cena believe in himself now? What happened between Summer Slam and now that he's "back"? Like when Rocky got beat by Clubber Lang he actually had to make a comeback. He didn't come out a week later a changed person.
Old 08-25-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Damn, I kinda wish I had gone to RAW tonight. I didn't think Hogan would be there. Yeah, the panel thing kind of sucked, but still, Hogan, HBK and Flair all in the house would have been a cool moment.
Old 08-26-14, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was such a terrible Raw though. Nothing was done to effectively further any storyline.
Old 08-26-14, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

The talent level is so low in the WWE that the Diva's are getting way too much air time and that segment was proof positive.
Old 08-26-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

John Cena returned after a one-week absence to hype his rematch with Brock Lesnar, and it was like he never left.

After losing in brutal fashion to Lesnar at Summerslam, many wondered how that would affect Cena's character. It was one of the more brutal losses in wrestling and, especially if he was going for a rematch, it seemed something would have to change for Cena to be able to compete with Lesnar once again.

However, based on Monday night, it seems nothing will change in Cena's quest to recapture the WWE World Heavyweight Title.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/p...#ixzz3BVNGRQ46
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/p...,7637149.story

Exactly my problem with last night. It's just business as usual after what should have been a career changing defeat.
Old 08-26-14, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts

When HBK said something along the lines of All three of us up here at one time or another in our careers had to take a look in the mirror and make a change, I was hoping he meant heel turn but likely he just meant retirement.
Old 08-26-14, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, when the show started and the 3 HOFers came out I was looking forward to something entertaining. But they just fucking talked about lame ass Cena, what a waste.

So leading up to the ppv, they're going to have Cena beat everyone they have built up for months, because he be angry yo? Again, what a waste
Old 08-26-14, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
When HBK said something along the lines of All three of us up here at one time or another in our careers had to take a look in the mirror and make a change, I was hoping he meant heel turn but likely he just meant retirement.
Even worse ... Cena took HBK as meaning for him to get MOAR AGGRESSIVE!!!

Please tell me WWE isn't going to try to recreate the Rocky III storyline. i.e. Complacent champ gets ass kicked and loses title to aggressive bully. Champ learns from loss, gets "Eye of the Tiger", and wins belt back in the rematch.

WWE already has evil Russian challenger waiting in wings for Rocky IV.
Old 08-26-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,174 Likes on 912 Posts

I'm really hoping this just leads to another beatdown... I could see the validity in a storyline like that, where Cena hulks up, believes in himself again and it still isn't enough. But if he just overcomes the odds again, ugh.
Old 08-26-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Please tell me WWE isn't going to try to recreate the Rocky III storyline. i.e. Complacent champ gets ass kicked and loses title to aggressive bully. Champ learns from loss, gets "Eye of the Tiger", and wins belt back in the rematch.
But Cena hasn't even gotten the "Eye of the Tiger". We haven't seen him down or depressed by the loss. It's just another loss like any other and he'll go out on TV next week and wrestle the same matches he's been wrestling for years.
Old 08-26-14, 01:01 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah... no matter which way WWE goes with this it seems like it is bad booking. If Cena wins and overcomes the odds, they blew the payoff it by not waiting. That scenario would have worked better with Cena out for awhile, and not being 100% when he returned. Then he eventually could build his confidence until his eventual rematch months down the road. But if Cena springs back immediately from this and wins at NoC, what's left to do with him? A truly unstoppable face has zero viable narrative possibilities.

And if he loses again, what have they gained? Lesnar already looks like a monster, so either they make Lesnar look like less of a monster with Cena getting more offense this time around OR it's another squash match which makes this 'tougher Cena' build pointless unless they're *REALLY* trying to make Brock unstoppable.

The only potentially interesting wrinkle to all this is the Money in the Bank briefcase. If they book this as a brutal battle, both competitors are destroyed, and Seth Rollins comes out and pins the winner... that could go somewhere. Hell, it could even trigger a Brock face (or at least tweener) turn...
Old 08-26-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG View Post

The only potentially interesting wrinkle to all this is the Money in the Bank briefcase. If they book this as a brutal battle, both competitors are destroyed, and Seth Rollins comes out and pins the winner... that could go somewhere. Hell, it could even trigger a Brock face (or at least tweener) turn...
I thought about that but at that point they've given Cena the highest number of championships runs in history and done it with a couple of minutes long reign. It cheapens what has already become a really cheap accomplishment.
Old 08-26-14, 03:21 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought about that but at that point they've given Cena the highest number of championships runs in history and done it with a couple of minutes long reign. It cheapens what has already become a really cheap accomplishment.
Very true. Although they could still do this if Brock eeks out a win after a grueling match with Cena. Hell, have Kane or whoever come out and pummel Brock even more. Say the Authority never really trusted Heyman and Lesnar was too uncontrollable for their tastes, and now they have one of "their guys" as champ. Rollins and the Authority could be dodging a pissed off monster for months.
Old 08-26-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm watching the second episode of The Monday Night War, which covers the arrival of the nWo. Great stuff.

There's an amazing story that Nash tells, about how WCW officials were fooled by the WWF when Jim Ross said Razor Ramon and Diesel were coming back. They thought it meant Hall and Nash, even though they were under contract. So what happens? They offer Hall and Nash more money, and of course they take it. Crazy!
Old 08-26-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was coming here to write that they should keep Cena off of TV until NOC but it looks like we all agree. The other problem is Dean Ambrose leaving to film a movie when Rollins & his feud could have kept things interesting on Raw while Cena took the time off. Ambrose & Rollins have their feud going while Reigns is feuding with Orton & Kane could lead to some tag and 3 on 2 matches but they could also have other people getting involved for different reasons.

Rollins teases cashing in for the Sheamus's US title which gets Cesaro mad because he wants the belt so now you have some Cesaro vs. Rollins matches.

Cesaro gets mad at Russev for saying his country is the best so know you have some Cesaro vs, Russev matches and you could throw Swagger and Mark Henry in for tag matches.

Ambrose & Reigns vs. Rollins & Orton with Kane on the outside getting involved or you could have 2 on 3 matches.

Goldust & Stardust just turned heel so now you have a few heel teams and a few face teams that can have different matches.

Lots of possibilities that would allow Cena to take the time off to sell his injuries and come back stronger or maybe do a heel turn but I doubt that will ever happen. They really need to take Raw back to 2 hours to let feuds build over multiple weeks, let young guys take time to get over, and to make it look like challengers actually have to earn their title shots. Like Heyman said the title doesn't have to be defended on every PPV if they build it up right.
Old 08-26-14, 07:04 PM

Received 372 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
There's an amazing story that Nash tells, about how WCW officials were fooled by the WWF when Jim Ross said Razor Ramon and Diesel were coming back. They thought it meant Hall and Nash, even though they were under contract. So what happens? They offer Hall and Nash more money, and of course they take it. Crazy!
He also tells that story in the NWO episode on Legends Of Wrestling.
Old 08-26-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Monday Nitro is starting next week on the WWE Network. The said over 100 hours and right from the first Nitro.
Old 08-28-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really good JR podcast with Tony Schiavone talking about NWA & WCW.
Old 08-28-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Is JRs Podcast commercial free? I started listening to Steve Austin's podcast and gave up because it had non-stop advertising.
Old 08-28-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's free and you can just fast forward over the parts you don't want to hear. JR, Austin, and Jericho podcasts are all really good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.