The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

Old 08-18-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: The August 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: SummerSlam

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Oh, Rusev did a great job of selling (up to and including his crying-in-pain finisher), I just question the need to do that in the storyline... you can say it was to protect Swagger by showing his offense was potent, but then basically Swagger lost to a one-legged Rusev.
That reminds me how in nearly every one of Goldberg's WWE matches he would 'injure' his shoulder doing a spear.
Old 08-18-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts

I know I'm in very limited company, but I actually like Rusev. He moves really well, his offense looks good, he can sell if needed, he has good eye-candy ringside with him. I think the hate comes from how he's been booked. And the pro-Russia diatribes and ceremonies are grating to me. I liked him more when he was a Bulgarian Brute, and he'd write a wrestlers name on a piece of wood ... only to smash the wood, followed by a smashing of the unfortunate owner of the name
Old 08-18-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

There is no more selling. Well very little. I thought Dolph legitimately hurt his knee at the end of his match with Miz. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't but he sold me. Guys don't work like Flair did when he would get beat down and his comeback would be a finger to the eyes or a low blow. Now the comeback is always some devastating move like a big clothesline or a boot to the face or whatever.

Speaking of Dolph v Miz that was a match that was ended with one of their finishing moves, not 5 or 6 of them. Same with the Rusev match. It doesn't make the opponent look stronger by kicking out it just devalues the finishing moves when you have to repeatedly do them.
Old 08-18-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,174 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
There is no more selling. Well very little. I thought Dolph legitimately hurt his knee at the end of his match with Miz. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't but he sold me. Guys don't work like Flair did when he would get beat down and his comeback would be a finger to the eyes or a low blow. Now the comeback is always some devastating move like a big clothesline or a boot to the face or whatever.

Speaking of Dolph v Miz that was a match that was ended with one of their finishing moves, not 5 or 6 of them. Same with the Rusev match. It doesn't make the opponent look stronger by kicking out it just devalues the finishing moves when you have to repeatedly do them.
But Miz's finishing move didn't win the match for him (though he rightfully sold shock at that); neither did Swagger's (although that one was countered). I know what you're saying but at PPVs the only way to prolong a match at times is to save the finishing move for last (with a bunch of near misses), or have them hit it more than once.
Old 08-18-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But Miz's finishing move didn't win the match for him (though he rightfully sold shock at that); neither did Swagger's (although that one was countered). I know what you're saying but at PPVs the only way to prolong a match at times is to save the finishing move for last (with a bunch of near misses), or have them hit it more than once.
I forgot that Miz did hit the SCF. Submissions are a different game now plus Swagger's looks so horrible, as does Cena's most of the time. I guess I just miss the art of selling a match. I watched Cena/Bryan from last years Summer Slam and Bryan was working on Cena's arm and shoulder just for the Yes Lock, Alberto Del Rio would do the same thing setting up his move. I guess the audience just isn't into that type of thing anymore.
Old 08-18-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish submitting didn't have such a stigma about it. A top guy is seen as a coward if he taps. Consequently, you know most submissions are just glorified rest holds until the other guy does an "improbable" reversal or phony-looking crawl to the ropes (which is pretty much the guy applying the hold dragging his victim to the ropes).

In MMA, there's nothing shameful about tapping out. If the other guy is a master of the hold and he catches you in it, you tap. If you don't tap, you're an idiot who will get needlessly injured instead of living to fight another day.
Old 08-18-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the Rusev/Swagger match had selling on both sides, including comments from the announcers about Swagger's ribs (which is normally what they do when they want to protect someone if they lose). Swagger went to work on that leg. It seems like there's a lot more ring psychology in the longer WWE matches than, say, the spotfests in TNA.

I guess my problem with Rusev is that I just don't see him as a top guy unless he's a monster (unless he can really talk and they just haven't used him for that), and he wasn't one last night. Some of his move set looks devastating, but stuff like just slamming his weight on his opponent doesn't seem, I dunno, flashy enough. We haven't really seen him in a ton of matches against different guys who are on his level, though, so we'll see.
Old 08-18-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 592 Likes on 417 Posts

When Rusev makes the inevitable face-turn, I hope he does so by telling us he has come to love America, providing us with a reason, and then saying "What a country!"
Old 08-18-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Moar Steph in jeans and t-shirt please!
Old 08-18-14, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
When Rusev makes the inevitable face-turn, I hope he does so by telling us he has come to love America, providing us with a reason, and then saying "What a country!"
They could have him do this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G1yVbyRJU5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-18-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know they'll just have Lana treat him like crap and have him be lured by one of the other Divas, realize the error of his ways, and become a patriot.
Old 08-18-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brie is just absolutely dreadful on the mic. I would imagine we will now be subjected to weeks of Brie and AJ tagging against Paige and Nikki.
Old 08-18-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know they'll just have Lana treat him like crap and have him be lured by one of the other managers, realize the error of his ways, and become a patriot.
"Zeb, I wish I knew how to quit you."
Old 08-18-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts

You know they'll just have Lana treat him like crap and have him be lured by one of the other Divas, realize the error of his ways, and become a patriot.
I see them taking that approach when they decide/realize the actress they have playing Lana isn't really necessary.

Interesting all of the heat Cena got last night. I think that the next time he returns is prime for making him a heel. The Authority could run rampant, and the designated face can look like he's beaten when Cena returns. Then he pulls a Hulk Hogan at Bash '96 . Only problem is finding a face the fans can get behind, which without Punk or Bryan is kind of difficult.
Old 08-18-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
Brie is just absolutely dreadful on the mic.
Bellas can't act. This storyline is going to be excruciating.

So what's the difference between a No Holds Barred match and a No DQ match?
Old 08-18-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New title unveiled ... crowd goes mild
Old 08-18-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
New title unveiled ... crowd goes mild
I thought they were doing a bit. It looks like the same belt to me.
Old 08-18-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New logo.
Old 08-18-14, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised the belt didn't have $9.99 written someplace on it.
Old 08-18-14, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's how you sell.
Old 08-18-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rollins and Ambrose will be superstars if they aren't already.
Old 08-18-14, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Rollins and Ambrose will be superstars if they aren't already.
Agreed completely. I wonder if that's how they write Ambrose off of TV for a bit to go film his movie.
Old 08-19-14, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 592 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I see them taking that approach when they decide/realize the actress they have playing Lana isn't really necessary.
Bastard! Blasphemer! Lana is very necessary (for us to fantasize about). How about going the other direction (phrasing!) and having Lana make the turn? Have her fall for somebody like Ziggler or Miz - somebody who ironically doesn't need her.

What is up with Cena? Is he injured again? I haven't watched in a while, but didn't he just come back from an injury? I'm not trying to trivialize what these guys do night in and night out, but it doesn't seem as if he has been back long enough to simply need a break again.
Old 08-19-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Bastard! Blasphemer! Lana is very necessary (for us to fantasize about). How about going the other direction (phrasing!) and having Lana make the turn? Have her fall for somebody like Ziggler or Miz - somebody who ironically doesn't need her.

What is up with Cena? Is he injured again? I haven't watched in a while, but didn't he just come back from an injury? I'm not trying to trivialize what these guys do night in and night out, but it doesn't seem as if he has been back long enough to simply need a break again.
Cena isn't injured. He was held off RAW to sell the beating that Lesnar gave him. As for taking the belt off him, the plan had always been to put it on Lesnar. You don't give him the biggest rub in the business at Mania to just throw it away. Now he's been given the second biggest rub in the business: a clean squash victory over Cena.

As for Cena, he'll be back on RAW next week to show where they're going with him.

I noticed another change on the new belt. It actually says World Heavyweight Champion on it below the logo. I'm also glad they're finally getting away from the name plates on belts. Always found them to be cheesy.

Last edited by TheKing; 08-19-14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-19-14, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post
After Monday Night Raw ends on the USA Network, theres going to be a "Summerslam Backstage Pass" special on the WWE Network - "Revisit the historic night that was SummerSlam, including never before seen backstage footage from the biggest party of the summer!" - supposed to last 45 minutes. I'm sure they are going to have those silly-post show press conferences on that special.
I watched it, and they didn't Total waste of time. The 45 minutes was from replaying the Brie/Steph and Brock/Cena matches in their entirety. The only new thing was a couple minutes of backstage footage from the Bellas bickering before the show and Heyman gloating afterwards. And some announcer narrating things from a studio set.

Last edited by brainee; 08-19-14 at 09:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.