Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

NFL Sunday Ticket NO LONGER requires a DirecTV account!

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

NFL Sunday Ticket NO LONGER requires a DirecTV account!

Old 08-15-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: NFL Sunday Ticket NO LONGER requires a DirecTV account!

If all you want is NFL Red Zone Channel, there's a dirt-cheap and 100% legit way to get it.

A) Sling Blue ($25/month)
B) Sports Add-on Package (+$10/month)

For $35/month x 4 month NFL season (=$140) you'll get all of these channels that you can stream on a PC, Roku, Phone, AppleTV, you name it....

There are promos avaliable if you're new that can get you a Roku Ultra for half-price, or a free Roku Express if you prepay for 2 months.

List of supported devices: https://www.sling.com/devices

Heh, scrolling back to the OP, it's amazing how much Streaming video has taken over these days, and how much cheaper things have become in just 4 years.
Old 08-15-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk God

It isn't the good RZ channel. No Andrew Siciliano, no sale!
Old 08-15-18, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

DirecTV Sunday Ticket with Red Zone is super expensive. Currently about $395. It's getting harder and harder now to get it on some kind of discount since AT&T took over.

I tried seeking an offer to get it a year or so ago and the best they could do was something like $80 off.

If you're not at home on your couch from 1pm ET through 7:30pm ET watching it all day long, you lose money.

^^^ That NFL Network Red Zone streaming option with Sling TV is actually a really good deal for those who want it for a full season and don't want to break the bank or don't want to go through the hassle of calling to bluff cancel DirecTV.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-15-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-15-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I liked the other guy better!
Old 08-16-18, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I liked the other guy better!
Scott Hansen pales in comparison.
Old 08-16-18, 08:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Would the sling version/utility of the RedZone Channel be any use delayed or the other days of the week? I work every other Sunday and wouldn’t want to pay that amount for just 8 uses.
Old 08-16-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Would the sling version/utility of the RedZone Channel be any use delayed or the other days of the week? I work every other Sunday and wouldnít want to pay that amount for just 8 uses.
Nope, it's just live on Sundays.

You should get NFL Game Pass instead which gives live radio broadcast of all games, full and 45 minute condensed versions of every game starting the day after it was played, and all "out of market" Preseason games live for $99.99 for the year.

Last edited by Decker; 08-16-18 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-17-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
He has been doing that for a long time.

You won't get any hip hop references from Scott Hansen.

Did Scott Hansen replace Dan Helle on NFL Total Access?
Old 08-17-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
He has been doing that for a long time.

You won't get any hip hop references from Scott Hansen.

Did Scott Hansen replace Dan Helle on NFL Total Access?
Unrelated to this thread, but yes he's now the new co-host and will continue to do Red Zone.

Hellie's contract wasn't renewed.
Old 08-17-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What shows have Amber Theoharris?

I remember her working for MASN(Orioles TV).
Old 08-17-18, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nope, it's just live on Sundays.

You should get NFL Game Pass instead which gives live radio broadcast of all games, full and 45 minute condensed versions of every game starting the day after it was played, and all "out of market" Preseason games live for $99.99 for the year.
Thanks. Iím trying to quit the NFL, but canít seem to do it, and this looks like something Iíd use.
Old 08-17-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am waiting till next month to get NFL Game Pass.
Old 08-18-18, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
What shows have Amber Theoharris?

I remember her working for MASN(Orioles TV).

I think she hosts those training camp shows and might be on TV more when the season begins but Lindsay Rhodes hosts NFL Total Access.
Old 08-18-18, 10:22 AM

I am waiting till next month to get NFL Game Pass.
Whatís the benefit to waiting? Is it a year from the date you join? So your plan is to get a bit of next year for your $99?

Also, the website wording seems to indicate that you get live audio feed of your hometeam, but is it just your hometeam or all games?

Also, do you get access to the replays and condensed versions of past years games, or just the current year?

Sorry for all the questions, but their website and faq failed to answer those clearly, unless Iím not awake yet.
Old 08-18-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Whatís the benefit to waiting? Is it a year from the date you join? So your plan is to get a bit of next year for your $99?

Also, the website wording seems to indicate that you get live audio feed of your hometeam, but is it just your hometeam or all games?

Also, do you get access to the replays and condensed versions of past years games, or just the current year?
No benefits in waiting and you miss out on the Live Preseason games. Maybe he can't afford it yet?

It's all audio feeds for every game - Home, Away, National (where applicable).

Every game for every team, Regular, Preseason and Playoffs, full and condensed versions, since 2011.
Old 08-18-18, 11:42 AM

Thanks Decker, you’ve sold me. If they have a referral bonus let me know. I might start with the free trail just because it’s there so I might as well, but I’m in.
Old 08-18-18, 11:43 AM

Oh, I see there is 5% back at e bates, haven’t checked the other cashback sites.
Old 08-18-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What’s the benefit to waiting? Is it a year from the date you join? So your plan is to get a bit of next year for your $99?

Sorry for all the questions, but their website and faq failed to answer those clearly, unless I’m not awake yet.
Cuz I don't have the money till the end of the month. It usually runs out on July 31st.

I had it on the PC and it went back to 2009 but some games were missing.

Like Decker mentioned,both teams radio feed.

TuneIn (which has all the major pro sports) has begun radio broadcasts of live sports on Roku. For some unknown reason,the NFL radio replays are only available for a week while NFL Game Pass goes back to the late 2000's(unless it has changed in the last few weeks).
Old 08-18-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

TuneIn (which has all the major pro sports) has begun radio broadcasts of live sports on Roku. For some unknown reason,the NFL radio replays are only available for a week while NFL Game Pass goes back to the late 2000's(unless it has changed in the last few weeks).
It should be noted that this is the Premium Tune In for $10/mo not the free version.

I also felt we should note that now every in-market broadcast game will stream for free for everyone with the NFL app. That is a big, important change this season.

It used to be that only those paying a hefty Verizon bill every month could get NFL streaming on their phones, but, as announced by the NFL and Verizonís blog post, everyone can get in on it for the 2018/2019 season, regardless of carrier. According to the post, the NFL mobile app and Verizonís portfolio of streaming properties ó including Yahoo Sports and its go90 service ó will stream Ē in-market and national games, including national pre-season, regular season, playoff games, and the Super Bowl nationwide to sports fans,Ē on mobile devices, along with highlights and other content. The biggest drawback is that, unless you can find a workaround, youíll be stuck watching on your phone as the app blocks mirroring to your TV from most devices. According to the latest reviews, it also seems to be having some trouble with pop-up ads and slow loading. On the other hand, itís hard to look a free NFL game in the mouth.
Old 08-27-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Hope to make the "I want my free ST" call this week. Scrolling up I noticed that I waited until the end of August last year, but I just want to get it over with.

Anyone who has tried already I'd be interested in hearing the results.
I called again this morning, and this time got $60 off per month for a year (no contract extension) and Cinemax for 6 months. Took it.
Old 08-27-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dropped Direct TV back in April and they keep offering NFL ST for free along with other incentives but I still have turned it down.

Hells Bells,equipment rental's is about 60 dollars a month and all the movie channels(it's part of the package) is another 60 dollars.

No thanks

As it was mentioned previously,NFL Game Pass is the second best option plus you can watch the games year around and it's not as pricey(it has sucked on Roku over the years that I have had it). Watching it on a PC(run HDMI cable to TV) is a better option plus there are more older games.
Old 08-27-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
I called again this morning, and this time got $60 off per month for a year (no contract extension) and Cinemax for 6 months. Took it.
Thanks for the update! Was this the normal CSR or did you get to retention?

I'm trying to clear an afternoon this week to dedicate to this. Sounds weird to say that, but getting the right deal can be worth hundreds of dollars. Well worth the effort if it works out.
Old 08-27-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Thanks for the update! Was this the normal CSR or did you get to retention?

I'm trying to clear an afternoon this week to dedicate to this. Sounds weird to say that, but getting the right deal can be worth hundreds of dollars. Well worth the effort if it works out.
Retention. 800-531-5000, said "cancel" and "no" to the "due to moving" question. I then simply said that I was considering the Sunday Ticket, but the the $400 price tag was way too much so I wanted to see if there were any credits I would qualify for. She put me on hold for quite awhile. When she came back, she said that while she couldn't discount the Sunday Ticket directly, I did qualify for $60 per month statement credit for 12 months, which more than offsets the cost. The Cinemax was then thrown in as an afterthought. I don't really care about it, but it falls off automatically after 6 months. None of that extends my contract at all, so I was more than happy to accept.
Old 08-31-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally called in. FYI: Direct dial number to the Retention LOYALTY Department is:
Spoiler:
1-800-824-9077

Ended up getting ST discounted to about $175. The CSR was very helpful and found a few discounts I didn't even ask for. I think if she could have given it to me for free she would have. Maybe a higher up can still do it, but I was happy with what I got.

I ended up with what seems to be a pretty standard offering now, which is no free ST but it is discounted and combined with another $60 monthly discount ($720 for the year). Also got another roughly $130 total discounts spread over 6 months. So another way to look at it is I get free ST plus an additional $675 in discounts over the next 12 months.

In the end, my $40/month discount for the past year rolls off but I will still pay $195 less over the next year than the last year even though I am 'paying' for ST (ignoring any rate increases).
Old 08-31-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks for that direct number. Makes thing easier.

I also got the $60 x 12 discount and free upgrade to ST MAX, so just paying for basic ST (about $300). Nets out to about +420. And no new contract which is always good. Good enough for me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.