Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

My Wrestling Retro Journal - 1998 ("The Attitude Era" Begins)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

My Wrestling Retro Journal - 1998 ("The Attitude Era" Begins)

Old 05-01-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Wrestling Retro Journal - 1998

So I've decided, in an attempt to see what I missed over the years, to go back from the beginning of Monday Night RAW and watch all wrestling related shows. I have a loose set of criteria here:

-All episodes of RAW
-All episodes of WCW Monday Nitro
-All episodes of ECW Hardcore TV, and all ECW Supercards (changed mid-1997 to just ECW Supercards/PPVs)
-All PPVs
-All COTCs once Nitro starts up (concluded in 1997)
-All episodes of Thunder
-All episodes of Smackdown
-All episodes of Sunday Night Heat
-Undecided on TNA

Feel free to follow along and join the conversation!
DONE THUS FAR:
1993-1995

Last edited by argh923; 10-16-14 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-01-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: My Wrestling Retro Journal - 1998 ("The Attitude Era" Begins)

And if it helps you to work up the courage to watch 1998's Souled Out PPV, I'm pretty sure I remember it being nowhere near as wretched as the 1997 version.
Old 05-02-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWF RAW is WAR - 1.5.98
New Haven Coliseum - New Haven, CT

-Steve Austin is outside somewhere, and says everyone is gunning for him at the Royal Rumble, but he's going to raise hell. Kinda pointless.
-Faarooq v. Ken Shamrock. The Rock shows up at the top of the entrance ramp. Rock ends up distracting the referee, but the Nation interference backfires and Shamrock hits the belly-to-belly and Ankle Lock for the win. Faarooq and Kama argue after the match. Rock gets in the ring to square off with Shamrock...and Austin randomly comes in and drops both Shamrock and Rock with Stunners!
-Jim Cornette brings down two men in suits, one of them with a championship belt. Cornette says he has flown these two gentlemen in - the President and Vice President of the NWA. I have ZERO memory of this. He says the NWA stands for tradition, and they have offered to annoint the winner of the next match "the new NWA North American Champion". Was this a real title before now? Anyway, Cornette introduces the participants, first of whom is Barry Windham - he comes out to the Blackjack music and is still dressed as a Blackjack, though. His opponent is Jeff Jarrett.
-Cornette joins the commentary team. So was this actually sanctioned by the NWA? They had an agreement with the WWF?
-Cornette complains about the referee the whole time, and one of the NWA officials gets in his face - Cornette then smashes Windham with the tennis racket, and Jarrett gets the win to become the NWA North American Champion. So Cornette complains about not getting wrestling...and then cheats. Austin then runs down and drops Jarrett with a Stunner as well.
-Michael Cole interviews Ken Shamrock backstage, who wants Austin in the ring.
-Sunny comes down to be the ring announcer for another pointless match - Recon & Sniper v. 8-Ball & Skull. Jackyl on commentary again. Ugh.
-DOA gets the win, and Kurrgan comes down to destroy everything, including my desire to keep watching. Jackyl makes Kurrgan break THE CLAW OF DOOM. I do like the name of it though - The Paralyzer.
-Are you ready? DX comes out, with Chyna pushing Triple H in a wheelchair, who's holding his crutches up in an "X". HHH cuts a promo on Owen Hart. He challenges Owen to come down now, "float on down to the surface so I can flush you one more time". Owen shows up on the Titantron, rocking the beard now. He says this is getting personal and ugly, but he wants HHH healed, so he can break the other leg. He has a black heart, and black Harts feel no pain. HHH tells him to watch his back.
-Savio Vega v. Owen Hart to kick off the second hour. DX shows up at the ramp right away. Owen wins despite tons of Boricua interference. The Boricuas take him out after the match, and bring him up to Triple H, who slaps him repeatedly. Michaels hands them some money, saying "Gracias".
-Paul Bearer comes out to the OLD Undertaker theme (the first one), and looks like he hasn't bathed or combed his hair. He says he hopes Shawn Michaels destroys the Undertaker at the Royal Rumble, and curses the ground he walks on. He says it's because of Undertaker that he's lost his Kane, He can't find Kane, and has looked everywhere, and tells Kane that he took care of him for all of those years, and to please come home.
-Austin Stuns Mark Henry in the locker room.
-Marc Mero v. Tom Brandi. Mero ends up getting knocked into Sable - she falls and hurts her ankle. Mero continues the match, ignoring her crying, and hits two TKOs before Austin comes in and hits a Stunner on Mero. Austin heads out, but stops to look at Sable, as they both smile at each other. Please tell me they weren't seriously considering this.
-Flash Funk v. Goldust, who's dressed in blackface and wearing an afro, and coming down to Shaft-esque music with a boombox on his shoulder. OK, I laughed at this one, just because he looks so ridiculous. Goldust will face Vader at the Royal Rumble. Luna shoves Funk off the top rope, and the referee disqualifies Goldust - he hits the Curtain Call, and then Vader comes out and levels him.
-Headbangers v. New Age Outlaws, in a non-title match. The Godwinns show up. Headbangers miss the Stage Dive, and the Outlaws win. Chainsaw Charlie and Cactus Jack come out and run them off.
-Don King rambles in a pretape about Mike Tyson being at Wrestlemania.
-Wrestlemania XIV is 12 weeks away!
-Shawn Michaels comes out alone, to call out The Undertaker. Michaels mocks him, and Taker's music hits, with once again the druids wheeling the DX casket out. Michaels laughs and says he knows this is HHH and Chyna, and says the "secret password" (Break It Down), but nothing happens. Hunter and Chyna show up on the stage waving their arms around, and Michaels does the "if you two are up there, then who's in the casket?" bit, and Undertaker pops up and grabs him by the throat, pulling him inside. Bad acting from Michaels here.

WCW Monday Nitro - 1.5.98
Georgia Dome - Atlanta, GA

-Shouldn't they have saved Sting/Hogan II for the Georgia Dome?
-A limo pulls up to start the show, and it's the NWO. Hogan doesn't have the WCW Title, sooooo...a second limo comes with more NWO members, and everyone looks sad and pouty.
-Tony Schiavone "cannot show us the footage" of Hogan/Sting because of a "court injunction", but Sting is still the champion. What? That is STUPID.
-Gene Okerlund interviews JJ Dillon, and Dillon says the footage will be released within 24 hours. Dillon then announces, at 8:05PM on TBS on Thursday, a new program called Thunder will debut, and the footage will be shown then. So they wait until THREE DAYS from Thursday to announce Thunder.
-Chris Jericho comes to the ring holding a chair and a jacket. Jericho takes the mic (whoa) and apologizes for his actions last week. He says the real Chris Jericho is a man idolized by millions, and is a true model. He's starting to grow out the beard. He said he reacted wrong and he's sorry, and presents David Penzer with a new chair for him to sit in and a new tuxedo jacket for him to wear.
-Jericho v. Diamond Dallas Page for the WCW US Title. DDP wins with the Diamond Cutter, and Jericho throws another tantrum.
-Okerlund interviews "Nick Lambros", who is some bigwig at WCW. They are calling last night's scene a "near riot". Apparently Turner says any contracted wrestlers who are caught violating WCW policies are subject to fine or suspension, and this applies to the NWO as well, since Nitro is an NWO show as well.
-Bill Goldberg v. Stevie Ray. Squash. GOLLLLLLLLLLLDBERRRRRRRRG
-John Nord makes his Nitro debut. Jobber. Apparently a former WWF Tag Team Champion is debuting tonight. I'm guessing Neidhart. Nord is facing the Barbarian.
-Nord actually wins with the camel clutch. Weird.
-Okerlund brings out Eric Bischoff. Bischoff says there's no problems in the NWO at all. He says he beat Zybysko, and Nitro should be theirs. He says there was no foreign object in his shoe, and he kicked him so many times his footpads were falling apart.
-Juventud Guerrera v. Psicosis, with the winner becoming the #1 contender to the WCW Cruiserweight Title and getting a title shot on Thunder. Juvie gets the win with the 450 Splash.
-We get footage from April 1997, back when Hogan & Nash were having problems.
-Okerlund interviews the new TV Champion, Booker T, who says he won the title for his son.
-Booker T defends the TV title against Prince Iaukea, and squashes him with the Harlem Hangover.
-Konnan, Scott Norton & Buff Bagwell v. The Steiners & Ray Traylor. They tease some issues with Scott Steiner and Rick, as Rick goes for the Bulldog, but Steiner waves him off and goes for the pin himself. Team WCW wins again.
-Brad Armstrong comes down to face the debuting...Rick Martel! I forgot about him being in WCW. He's the former WWF Tag Team Champion (Strike Force, right?). Why did he randomly show up after not wrestling for like 5 years?
-Martel wins with the "Quebec Crab" (Boston Crab). He has AWFUL theme music:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gSR4BVVOpQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-Chris Benoit & Steve McMichael v. Saturn & Scotty Riggs.
-Apparently on Thunder they're going to show the Bischoff/Zybysko and Sting/Hogan matches from Starrcade. I bet people who paid for that one weren't too happy. I paid $5 at the time - there were 6-8 of us who always went in $5 a piece for PPVs and food as kids.
-Raven hops in, DDTs Benoit, and Saturn makes the cover for the win.
-Okerlund brings down Ric Flair, who tells us we're in Atlanta. THANKS RIC I DIDN'T KNOW. He wants to know how Bret Hart can possibly call himself the best. Cue Bret's music. Bret comes out, and Flair says he's glad he made it, and wants to hear Bret's "little saying". Bret says it, and the fans actually boo. Does he still have heat in the USA, maybe? Bret mocks Flair afterward, giving a "Whoooo". Flair wants him to say it again - Bret does, and says if Flair has a problem with it, too bad. Flair says he couldn't possibly believe that he's better than Ric Flair, and wants him to state specifically that he's better than Ric Flair. Bret takes his jacket off, and says "to be the man, you gotta beat the man", and says he's done that once before (for his first WWF Title), and Bret says to do something about it. Flair struts. This is GOOD. Watch below:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eDK2gv5-niM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-I think what was so cool about this feud (and why it's a shame that it was so short-lived) is that they genuinely didn't (and still don't, I don't think) like each other.
-Michael Buffer announces our main event - Randy Savage v. Lex Luger. Nick Patrick is the referee, even though he's "under investigation". JJ Dillon comes out, and Buffer introduces him as well. Dillon says we're going to have a change in officials, suspends Patrick, and tells him to get out. Randy Anderson is now the referee.
-Luger wins with an inside cradle out of nowhere, and Savage pastes Luger and grabs David Penzer's chair. Bischoff takes the chair away from Savage - so Savage hits Bischoff! Hogan runs down and shoves Savage! Savage slaps Hogan, and Nash lays out Savage! Hogan and Nash have a staredown, and Nash leaves. Hogan tries to calm down Savage, saying the enemy is in the ring, and Hogan & Savage head to the ring to go after Luger. Sting comes down and stands next to Luger as we go off the air.
-This was a really solid Nitro.

We MIGHT get the debut of Thunder in today, but more than likely it'll be Monday, along with ECW House Party.
Old 05-02-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chris Jericho comes to the ring holding a chair and a jacket. Jericho takes the mic (whoa) and apologizes for his actions last week. He says the real Chris Jericho is a man idolized by millions, and is a true model.
There's only one true "model" in wrestling:

Brad Armstrong comes down to face the debuting...Rick Martel! I forgot about him being in WCW. He's the former WWF Tag Team Champion (Strike Force, right?). Why did he randomly show up after not wrestling for like 5 years?
5 years? Martel was still with WWF as recently as 1995. Though he was a low-level jobber starting in 1993 and was probably getting his air-time (assuming he got any) on the really low-level shows (like Superstars).

From wikipedia:

By the summer of 1994, Martel dropped out of the WWF picture and would not be seen again until participating in the 1995 Royal Rumble (he was a substitute for Jim Neidhart). Martel's wrestling career began to slow as he pursued a career in real estate. In a later shoot interview with RF video, Martel claimed that he and Don Callis were set to return to the WWF as 'The Supermodels' in 1997, and Callis was to eventually turn on Martel, making him a babyface for the first time since 1989. However, after a pay dispute with Vince McMahon, Martel signed with WCW.
Bret comes out, and Flair says he's glad he made it, and wants to hear Bret's "little saying". Bret says it, and the fans actually boo. Does he still have heat in the USA, maybe?
Hmm ... well, WCW was Flair country (and Atlanta was the heart of WCW country). Plus, Hart's portrayal in WCW had been pretty erratic so far (is he with NWO or isn't he?). Not really enough time for fans to catch on. And like you said, he was a mega-heel (at least in US) in WWF before coming over.
Old 05-02-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I honestly don't remember Martel in the 95 Rumble. Oh well.

I meant to type "true role model". But it worked out.

Flair was definitely in WCW country...Bret was a clear face at this point, though, as he'd just helped Sting beat Hogan at Starrcade.
Old 05-02-14, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Cornette's NWA angle was indeed part of a working agreement between the WWF and NWA. The NWA wanted the exposure that working with the WWF could give them, while I'm not sure what the WWF thought they were getting out of it. The title used was real, created in 1994 and still around today. But before and after the WWF it's been a secondary title to the NWA Heavyweight Championship (the one that WCW, ECW, and later TNA have all used as their top tier title).

I think maybe the WWF was hoping that by having the NWA in their fold, they could compete better against WCW for more traditional wrestling fans. But since the industry was going away from this anyway, the NWA experiment was a huge flop.

Funny that Nord faced the Barbarian there. In the AWA, Nord was once known as Nord The Barbarian.

Rick Martel focused on Real Estate after his WWF career had ended. I guess at some point he got the itch and came back for this brief WCW run. It doesn't last long, as he gets injured after a couple months, then injured again in his first match after that. He retired at that point and became a trainer and host of WCW's french language programming.

Atlanta is Flair country, WCW territory, and well, fuck Canada down there. I'm sure Bret's angle played into it too, but Flair is gonna get love in Atlanta, period. So that meant Bret had to get booed.

It really is amazing to think that WCW ran the Georgia Dome not once in 1998, but twice! The WWF didn't go back to big venues until 2001 for Mania 17, at the end of the War. Although I think the reason they had to go to the Dome was that the Omni Arena had been torn down and Phillips Arena wasn't finished until 1999. So they had to go to the dome. Maybe they weren't full sellouts, but they were huge crowds.
Old 05-02-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The NWA angle was mainly done because WWE was still trying to catch up with WCW. They figured that since the NWO was doing so well that if they brought in a real wrestling organization to "invade" that they could recreate the NWO angle. The only problem was that no one gave a shit about the NWA anymore. Keep in mind we are still a couple months out from the Austin/McMahon era really kicking off.

Bret getting booed defintely was because of the anti-USA angle, but also because Atlanta was horseman country. And your right they still hate one another.
Old 05-02-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by argh923 View Post
I meant to type "true role model". But it worked out.
I know ... Martel with his big "model" button always made me laugh, so any excuse to post it I'll use
Old 05-05-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WCW Thunder - debut episode! 1.8.98
Ocean Center - Daytona Beach, FL

-Here we go! I will end up regretting Thunder, I'm sure.
-Our announcers are Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, and Tony the Tiger himself, Lee Marshall!
-Apparently we're "waiting for the arrival of Randy Savage", so we recap practically the entire Nitro show. This doesn't seem planned.
-With WCW's huge talent roster, they could've had any number of guys come out here to have the first match. WCW chooses to bring out, for the first entrance on WCW Thunder..."Gentleman" Chris Adams. Sigh. He's facing Savage.
-The first Thunder is THREE HOURS?!?!? AHHHHHHHH
-Luger comes down and cracks Savage with the chair, and Chris Adams gets the win. Nice, and unexpected.
-Eric Bischoff comes out with Hollywood Hogan, and WCW's production crew screws up again, playing the NWO music, then randomly switching to Bischoff's, and then again to Hogan's. Hogan cuts the usual heel promo, saying he's the champ and we'll all see the footage tonight. Not recapping any more of it than that. Hogan is wearing on me.
-One thing...Hogan's been lately saying "that's the way it was, that's the way it is, and that's the way it always will be" in his promos. Anyone think this is a shot at Bret?
-Mike Tenay interviews JJ Dillon, who is mad that Luger interfered. What? Dillon actually comes down on Luger for interfering earlier, because of what the suit said on Monday. Luger comes down and thinks this is crap, saying for a year and a half the NWO did this without punishment. He has a point. Luger wants to know where he was at Starrcade, when he was attacked then. Dillon stammers and stutters. This is one of the better Luger promos I've seen.
-Louie Spicolli - pretty sure this is his WCW TV debut - against Rick Martel. Raven's Flock shows up during this match. Martel wins with the Quebec Crab.
-Tenay joins commentary for our next match - Tenzan, who is apparently part of the Japanese NWO, against Ohara. I've never heard of either of them.
-I lied - Tenzan faced Randy Savage at Starrcade '95. Tenzan wins clean.
-UGH, MORE NITRO RECAPS. Seriously.
-Chris Jericho comes out. He stands before us an embarrassed and ashamed man. Pretty much the same routine, and he's changed again. He gives David Penzer another jacket and assures it'll never, EVER happen again.
-Jericho v. Ric Flair. Heenan counts down during Flair's entrance for them to all "Whooooooo" together, and Schiavone says afterwards, "That was really sorry."
-I think you're right about it being a rib on Okerlund - Heenan again says "the shank of the evening", and Schiavone says "Where have I heard that before?"
-Flair makes Jericho tap out to the Figure Four. Jericho throws a tantrum and rips Penzer's jacket off again.
-Meng v. The Giant. I hope the Giant no-sells the Tongan Death Grip. Schiavone announces Bret Hart - "formerly of the World Wrestling Federation, the five time champion there", which I'm surprised he actually even said - will face Ric Flair at Souled Out. He also then announces that The Giant will face Kevin Nash.
-Giant wins with the Chokeslam.
-Rematch from Starrcade: Steve McMichael v. Bill Goldberg. It's funny, because I thought they just randomly started calling him "Goldberg" one day instead of Bill Goldberg, but Schiavone says here, "Bill Goldberg, or Goldberg as he demands we call him". Never heard that before.
-And obviously, Goldberg wins with the Jackhammer.
-The Steiners defend the WCW Tag Team Titles against Konnan & Buff Bagwell. Steiners win due to Scott glory-hogging again. This time Rick Steiner looks upset.
-Schiavone says Scott Steiner has been fined, but doesn't go into details. Helpful.
-Bischoff v. Zybysko from Starrcade. I'm not recapping it again.
-Tenay brings out Larry Zybysko. Zybysko cuts a promo on Hall, and how he dominated Hall in the 80's. Good promo.
-Scott Hall - still with the fake WCW World Tag Team Title belt - v. Ray Traylor. Zybysko comes out to distract Hall long enough for Ray Traylor to hit the Traylor Spike...and win! Wow!
-Juventud Guerrera v. Ultimo Dragon for the WCW Crusierweight Title. Apparently Scott Steiner is being fined $5,000 for striking a referee, even though it was an accident. Who cares.
-Juvie hits the 450 Splash and wins the Cruiserweight Title. This title has been bounced around like a hot potato lately.
-Tenay brings out Bret Hart to the ring. They shoot off pyro when he comes out, and he jumps, then laughs. Funny moment. Lots of references to being five time WWF Champion. Flair comes out, and mocks Bret's catchphrase again. This is more or less the same segment from Nitro.
-Scott Norton v. Lex Luger. Luger kicks out of Norton's shoulderbreaker, and Racks Norton for the win. Savage tries to run interference, but Luger takes him out as well.
-Now we get the footage from after Nitro went off the air Monday. Sting locks on the Scorpion Deathlock, but Nick Patrick comes down to the ring. Sting goes after Patrick, and Hogan rolls Sting up from behind and Nick Patrick makes a three count. Patrick gives Hogan the WCW World Title, but Sting gets rid of Patrick and goes after Hogan. Sting puts Hogan back in the Scorpion Deathlock, and Randy Anderson calls for the bell, as Hogan submitted. JJ Dillon then comes out, followed by Bischoff, and they tug on the belt until Bischoff knees Dillon in the head. The NWO charge the ring, and then Bret Hart, Diamond Dallas Page, Rick & Scott Steiner, Ray Traylor, Booker T, Stevie Ray, Lex Luger, & Steve McMichael ALL run down, and a massive fight erupts.
-Back in the arena, Tenay is with JJ Dillon. Dillon asks Hogan to come down to the ring. Hogan comes out, and Dillon then asks Sting to come to the ring "and bring the belt". Dillon announces that the WCW World Heavyweight Title is being declared vacant, until a further decision can be made. That's STUPID. Hogan is furious, and Sting looks furious. Sting shoves the belt at Dillon, takes the microphone, and speaks for the first time in 18 months: "You got no guts", and then to Hogan, "And you're a dead man".
-Diamond Dallas Page defends the WCW US Title against Kevin Nash. Hogan interferes, and the Giant comes out - he and Nash brawl as the show goes off.
-Honestly not a bad first episode of WCW Thunder.

ECW House Party '98 - 1.10.98
ECW Arena - Philadelphia, PA

-Well...I was going to watch this, but it's only playing the audio. File type might not be compatible at work, I'm not sure. So I'm looking up the card, reading and recapping what I see online.
-Tommy Rich, Little Guido & Tracey Smothers v. Ballz Mahoney, Axl Rotten & Tommy Dreamer for the "Georgia All-Star Texas Championship World Six-Man Titles". What in the world is this? The recap I'm reading says "the referees argue and Jim Molineaux DDTs Jeff Jones for the pin". Um....okaaaay...
-Jerry Lynn v. Chris Candido. Lynn wins by submission with a cross armlock.
-Gran Naniwa v. Gran Hamada. I don't know these people. Hamada wins.
-Al Snow defeats Roadkill - he gives both Paul Diamond and Chastity a Snowplow. Chastity was the girl in Raven's Nest at the end of its run, what's she doing now? And who is Paul Diamond?
-Justin Credible beats The Great Sasuke, as Nicole Bass (she was in ECW?) and Jason make out. Yuck.
-Rob Van Dam v. Bam Bam Bigelow - apparently Bigelow takes out Candido, Tammy Sytch (Sunny), Francine, and Shane Douglas, but then loses after RVD hits the 5 Star.
-Lance Wright interrupts a Taz interview to introduce Flash Funk as his challenger, but Funk calls himself 2 Cold Scorpio. Taz gets the win.
-D-Von Dudley, Bubba Ray Dudley, & Big dick Dudley v. Spike Dudley, New Jack & Kronus. I'm sad I'm missing GERTNER here. Dudleys win.
-Sabu v. The Sandman in a "Stairway to Hell" match, "featuring a ladder leading up to barbed wire". What?? This says Sabu lands chin-first on the railing and breaks his jaw. OUCH. Anyone have a video? Sabu loses.

WWF RAW is WAR - 1.12.98
Bryce Jordan Center - State College, PA

-Shawn Michaels and Triple H goofing off in a limo, and Michaels moons the camera. Dumb.
-The New Age Outlaws defend the WWF Tag Team Titles in a four corners match against The Headbangers, The Godwinns, & The Truth Commission. Thankfully we have no Jackyl on commentary.
-This is the 5th anniversary of RAW!
-Gunn hits Phineas with something in his tights, and hits Phineas with it for the win.
-Steve Austin's truck arrives outside.
-After the commercial, Austin arrives, and he hits Stunners on the Godwinns backstage. Back in the arena, Austin drives his truck inside, and heads to the ring. Michael Cole interviews him, saying he's a marked man, so Austin draws a bullseye on himself, saying he's not hard to find.
-We see a promo for MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch. That was a guilty pleasure of mine. I remember when they had Austin/McMahon on it.
-DX arrives in the limo, but a production truck is blocking their entrance.
-Kurrgan v. "Lance Diamond" and "Jimmy Cisero", so a couple of jobbers. NOW we get the Jackyl. Sigh. Kurrgan destroys the jobbers.
-Kurrgan smashes a football helmet with his bare hands afterward. I'm sure it was gimmicked.
-Backstage, Owen Hart sneaks into the limo to attack Triple H - it drives off without Michaels.
-Marvelous Marc Mero comes out. JR says he's had a change of heart about Sable, and Mero tries to introduce her, but his mic is dead, so she just comes out...well, it's Goldust actually dressed as Sable. Mero now to face Vader.
-The real Sable shows up during the match. She kicks Goldust and then argues with Mero. Mero gets annihilated as Vader takes advantage of the distraction, and Vader hits the Vader Bomb, before Goldust breaks a coconut over his head. Vader wins by DQ.
-The limo returns to the arena; HHH comes out of the limo, and Owen Hart is nowhere to be found.
-Austin hits a Stunner backstage on Vader, and then Vader breaks a bunch of stuff.
-The Rock & D'Lo Brown v. Ken Shamrock and Mark Henry. Henry is wearing a "Rocky Sucks" shirt. Rock says that Kordell Stewart (Steelers QB) called Rock last week to ask for advice, but took Joe Paterno's advice instead, and now neither of them are champions like the Rock. Rock is angry at Henry for wearing the shirt, and says he'll rip it off "your fat ugly ass".
-Henry tags in and just annihilates Shamrock. He hits the big powerslam, and the Nation - minus Faarooq - comes in and beats Shamrock down. They walk to the ramp together, and Faarooq looks upset and confused.
-Cole interviews The Rock, who says he did this all for Faarooq, and tells D'Lo to know his role. Faarooq does not look impressed.
-DX heads to the ring. HHH says Owen has been flushed. HHH mocks Mike Tyson's voice, and Michaels says Tyson isn't in his universe, and to not stick his nose in Shawn's business at the Royal Rumble. Michaels mentions Kane, but then Owen Hart shows up on the Titantron, with his face bloodied. HHH tells him to come on out, and Owen does, but a bunch of referees come out to hold him back.
-The DOA come out. Ugh. Jim Cornette then comes out and talks about the NWA and Jeff Jarrett, and then introduces the DOA's opponents - The Rock and Roll Express! Wow! I have no memory of this either. They use the Rockers' theme.
-Cornette interferes and hits one of the DOA guys with his tennis racket, and the DOA win by DQ. Cornette is grabbed by one of the DOA guys, but Morton & Gibson make the save.-
-JR says rumors are running about Hulk Hogan being in the Royal Rumble. HUH? What was this about?
-Cactus Jack is on the Penn State football field, talking about Terry Funk. He thinks Chainsaw Charlie is ridiculous, but the New Age Outlaws aren't prepared for this.
-Mankind v. Goldust. Goldust's music starts but is cut off by Dude Love's, and Goldust is dressed as Dude Love, with Luna dressed as a Dudette. Mankind puts the Manible Claw on immediately, and here comes Austin! Austin hits the Stunner on both Goldust & Mankind.
-11 weeks until Wrestlemania XIV!
-JR interviews Vince McMahon, who says Mike Tyson will be at the Royal Rumble, and he hopes to conclude negotiations with him then - also, Tyson will be on RAW next week for a huge announcement.
-Sunny comes down dressed as a Penn State cheerleader to be the guest ring announcer. Los Boricuas v. TAKA Michinoku & Scott Taylor. Boricuas get the win - I have no idea why. They attack Taylor & TAKA afterward, but Owen Hart - getting revenge for last week - runs down and breaks HHH's crutch over Jesus's back.
-DX is back out. Michaels says that Kane has wandered off away from Paul Bearer. Michaels then says DX would be glad to stand here, open arms, and accept Kane into the family. Michaels introduces Kane as the newest DX member, and the lights go out...but it's Undertaker's music that hits instead of Kane's. Taker comes down, and tells Michaels to leave his family out of this. Taker grabs him by the throat with one hand, Chyna with the other, but then Helmsley hits him with the crutch. Michaels superkicks Taker, and DX attacks, but then the lights go out, and HERE COMES KANE. Kane grabs Michaels by the throat, but is hit by Triple H, before DX runs away. Kane points to Taker from atop the entrance ramp, and Taker drops to one knee in his salute. Crowd is going crazy for this.
-Apparently now we're having a Royal Rumble drawing, which I really don't like, because it takes the surprise out of the Rumble. It basically ends up being a brawl not worth recapping, and partly because I deliberately am not paying attention. So yeah.

WCW Monday Nitro - 1.12.98
Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum - Jacksonville, FL

-How can you build something for 18 months and screw it up in the course of 3 shows? Sigh.
-Gene Okerlund tries to interview the NWO outside as they arrive about last week. He asks Hogan & Nash about what happened last week on Nitro, but Hogan changes the subject to the belt, and says everything will be settled tonight. Nash says Savage wants none of him.
-Jerry Flynn v. Goldberg, who gets a huge pop. Flynn lasts about 30 seconds. Spear, Jackhammer, just another victim.
-Two new faces to Nitro - Black Cat (who?) v. Marty Jannetty! Alright, I forgot about Jannetty. he's the latest in a long line of people to use the Hollywood Blondes theme.
-Jannetty wins with the "Showstopper", which is basically the Fameasser.
-Okerlund is back in the parking lot, and this time a limo shows up with Scott Hall, Randy Savage, Tenzan & Elizabeth. Okerlund asks Savage about Kevin Nash's comments, and Savage is furious. Okerlund gets mad because Savage threatens him.
-Dean Malenko v. Chris Benoit. Raven's Flock arrives. Raven's scheduled to face Benoit AGAIN at Souled Out. Solid match, Benoit wins with the Crippler Crossface - the Flock then comes in and attacks.
-Okerlund interviews JJ Dillon about Savage's attack on Bischoff last week. Dillon fines Savage $5,000 for this. Stupid. Out comes Savage demanding that Dillon take it back, and Bischoff runs out offering to pay the fine himself. Savage then starts freaking out about Nash.
-Okerlund interviews Diamond Dallas Page. DDP announces he's teaming with Lex Luger against Nash & Savage this Thursday.
-Saturn v. Booker T for the WCW World Television Title - JJ Dillon has banned The Flock from ringside for this one. Saturn wins the match by using the ropes for leverage - the TV Title is bouncing around as much as the Cruiserweight Title.
-Except no - for some random reason, RICK MARTEL comes out and lets the referee know what happened, and the referee restarts the match. Booker then hits the Harlem Sidekick and retains the title. Booker then offers Martel a title shot.
-Okerlund interviews The Giant, along with Nick Lambros (he's the suit from last week). The suit wants the NWO to post a $1.5 million performance bond to ensure Nash will show up, otherwise Nash will be suspended for one year. Lambros also announces that Bischoff is cut off from spending Time Warner money. If only it'd really happened...this brings out Bischoff, Hogan, Nash & some bigshot attorney, Henry Holmes. Holmes accepts the demands on the condition that WCW matches the $1.5 million, and that Giant cannot touch Nash before Souled Out, or the money is lost. Giant accepts, Lambros accepts. Nash taunts Giant.
-Hugh Morrus v. Lex Luger. Luger gets a huge reaction from the crowd. Quick match, and Luger wins with the Rack.
-Elizabeth comes out crying, yelling for Lex. Luger heads back with her...and Savage blindsides him, of course. DDP comes out for the save.
-Chris Jericho v. Steve McMichael. Mongo wins with the Mongo Spike. No tantrum as Jericho is out cold.
-Back from commercial, and I was wrong - Jericho's snapped! He's ranting about being a fool for letting himself being a role model for the fans. When he figures out we're on the air, he immediately changes his tune, talking about how he lost with dignity and respect. Rey Mysterio comes out for his title match with Juventud Guerrera, but Jericho hasn't left the ring. Jericho wants to know why Mysterio interrupted him and is upset - Mysterio says he's just here to get his title back. Jericho apologizes, wishes him luck, and then takes him out. I LOVE THIS
-Juventud comes out, and the referee tells him they can't have the match, but Juvie attacks him anyway. So...the referee just says eff it and starts the match. Juvie wins quickly.
-Here comes Hollywood Hogan & Eric Bischoff. They're suing. Blah blah.
-Okerlund brings out the newest member of WCW...Jim The Anvil Neidhart! Neidhart says Bret is better than Flair, which brings Flair down. Flair wants Anvil to repeat it - Anvil does, and Flair asks Neidhart if he has his gear. Neidhart says he's ready now. Flair says he'll be right back, but comes back in his suit still and heads to the ring. Flair brings out some brass knucks, and knocks out Neidhart and then referee Billy Silverman. Flair then puts Bret's signature Ringpost Figure Four on Neidhart, which brings Bret Hart running out to fight Flair. Bret got a huge pop this time.
-The Outsiders v. The Steiners for the WCW World Tag Team Titles. Michael Buffer does the announcements. Hogan comes to the ring with the Outsiders, and Buffer introduces them as "the NWO Tag Team Champions". What?
-Savage comes down during the match as well, and Hogan tries to play peacekeeper between he and Kevin Nash. Referee ends up going down, and Nash is on the ground choking out Rick Steiner. Savage leaps off the top to drop the elbow on NASH, but he moves and Rick Steiner gets hit with it. Nash covers, and the Outsiders are Tag Team Champions again - but Nash and Savage argue as we fade out. Crazy ending.

Tomorrow we'll have WCW Thunder and the 1998 Royal Rumble, and maybe RAW, time permitting.
Old 05-05-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WCW Thunder - debut episode! 1.8.98
So Thunder started before Smackdown? For some reason I also thought it was the other way around. But clearly I misremembered, since The Rock hasn't even popularized the phrase "Smackdown" so much yet (if at all).

One thing...Hogan's been lately saying "that's the way it was, that's the way it is, and that's the way it always will be" in his promos. Anyone think this is a shot at Bret?
Is the Pope Catholic? Do bears shit in the woods?

Gunn hits Phineas with something in his tights, and hits Phineas with it for the win.
I really really hope it was some kind of foreign object. Otherwise, that's a little too "attitude" for me.
Old 05-05-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paul Diamond was Kato in the Orient Express and later was Max Moon after Konnan quit the WWF. Diamond got the job since he fit the suit.

Black Cat was a mexican wrestler who had this match on Nitro and a 6-man match on Thunder. That's it. He died in 2006.

Jannetty later has a role in one of the best segments in WCW Monday Jericho history.
Old 05-05-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-Jannetty wins with the "Showstopper", which is basically the Fameasser.
Aka the Rocker Dropper, which Marty has used since the 80s and Billy Gunn stole.
Old 05-06-14, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
So Thunder started before Smackdown? For some reason I also thought it was the other way around. But clearly I misremembered, since The Rock hasn't even popularized the phrase "Smackdown" so much yet (if at all).
Correct - no mention of "Smackdown" at all yet. I believe the show starts in April of 1999.

I really really hope it was some kind of foreign object. Otherwise, that's a little too "attitude" for me.

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
Black Cat was a mexican wrestler who had this match on Nitro and a 6-man match on Thunder. That's it. He died in 2006.
And the six man is on the episode of Thunder from 1/15 that I'm watching now.

Jannetty later has a role in one of the best segments in WCW Monday Jericho history.
Really? I do not remember this. Excited. Man I love WCW Jericho.

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
Aka the Rocker Dropper, which Marty has used since the 80s and Billy Gunn stole.
Shows how many Rockers matches I've seen.
Old 05-06-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WCW Thunder - 1.15.98
Lakeland Civic Center - Lakeland, FL

-Mike Tenay, Bobby Heenan & Lee Marshall on commentary. Ugh, Tenay as play-by-play is going to be unbearable.
-Tony Schiavone is playing interviewer tonight, and brings out The Giant. For some random reason the Flock - minus Saturn & Raven - decide to come in, and Giant kills them all. Kevin Nash comes down and gets in Giant's face, and then throws coffee in Giant's face.
-After Nitro went off the air, Randy Savage slapped Nash in the face, and Nash chased him to the back.
-Black Cat, Ohara, and Gedo against the Steiners and Ray Traylor. Alrighty then.
-Tenay is JUST NOW GETTING WORD that Diamond Dallas Page was "mugged" in the parking lot after Nitro. It took three days for him to find out? His right knee is injured, and he may not be able to compete.
-Scott Steiner dominates at the end, and gets the win - Rick Steiner looks upset, as Scott again passed up the Steinerline.
-As Yuji Nagata comes out, Tenay says there's been talk of starting a martial arts division, contested under professional wrestling rules. PLEASE TELL ME THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN
-Nagata v. Ernest Miller. Miller wins. Yawn.
-Schiavone interviews JJ Dillon, and DDP comes out. We have audio issues, which make Dillon more tolerable. DDP says he will wrestle.
-Louie Spicolli comes out, followed by Scott Hall, who is wearing both the original and fake Tag Title belts. Hall conducts a survey, and then asks Louie what his name is, and how old he is. He asks Louie who he's here to say, and Spicolli says Hall is his hero. Zybysko comes out and tells Spicolli not to befriend Hall, that Hall is afraid of him, and is trying to butter him up. Hall calls Zybysko into the ring, and Spicolli grabs Zybysko. He holds Larry for Hall, who charges, but Zybysko ducks and Hall goes flying over the top rope - Zybysko then kicks Louie out of the ring.
-So does Spicolli join the NWO? I have ZERO memory of Spicolli, pretty much at all, other than the brief ECW stay.
-Chris Jericho comes out, and says he was addressing his legions of fans on Nitro, when Mysterio came down and started talking trash under his breath about Jericho's family. "So being the role model that I am, the paragon of virtue, I had to put him in his place."
-Jericho v. Eddie Guerrero. Jericho counters a hurricanrana into the Liontamer and gets the win. No tantrum! That means Jericho will face the winner of Rey Mysterio/Juventud Guerrera for the Cruiserweight Title at Souled Out.
-All kinds of audio issues now, and I'm pretty sure it's not my file.
-Chavo Guerrero v. Bill Goldberg...but Disco Inferno comes out before Goldberg does, and says everyone came to see the Disco Inferno dance. Chavo mocks his dancing and his name, and Disco attacks him. Video switches to a far away view of the ring - yep, technical difficulties. From what I can gather Goldberg comes out and destroys Disco.
-Tenay apologizes after the commercial for the video feed, blaming thunderstorms.
-Hollywood Hogan & Eric Bischoff are out. Apparently Hogan posted the deposit of $1.5 million on Nash's behalf for his match with The Giant. Bischoff agrees with Sting; Dillon has no guts, and Bischoff demands he give Hogan the belt back on Monday.
-Rey Mysterio Jr. v. Juventud Guerrera for the WCW Cruiserweight Title. Juvie blocks Mysterio's springboard hurricanrana into a powerbomb...sick spot. Juvie goes for the 450 splash, Mysterio moves - Juvie LANDS ON HIS FEET, and Mysterio then hits the springboard hurricanrana to win the Cruiserweight Title for a third time. Nice!
-Randy Savage & Kevin Nash v. Lex Luger & Diamond Dallas Page. Hogan walks to the ring with Nash and Savage, trying to mediate between the two. Luger and DDP come out, and Luger tells DDP to go to the back, that he'll take care of it. Hogan then attacks DDP in the aisleway, attacking DDP in his knee with the crutch.
-Savage refuses to tag Nash early on, then delivers a hard tag. Nash ends up tossing Savage out of the ring altogether. Savage slaps Nash, and Nash starts to leave, but Hogan talks him back. Hogan gets in the ring and gets Racked, then Nash gets racked, but Savage hits the double axhandle on Luger - looking disappointed that he didn't hit Nash. Savage holds Luger for Hogan, but Luger moves, and Hogan decks Savage. Hogan and Savage then go face to face, and then the Giant comes in - Savage shoves Hogan right into the Giant, who Chokeslams Hogan. NWO comes out to attack, and STING makes the save as the NWO bails. Wow! Crazy ending. Another solid episode of Thunder.

1998 WWF Royal Rumble - 1.18.98
San Jose Arena - San Jose, CA

-Ah, it's time once again for my favorite PPV. Love me some Royal Rumble action.
-Mike Tyson is in the luxury box, and gets a round of boos when he's shown.
-Goldust v. Vader is our opening match. So glad to hear Fink again.
-Not a bad match. Vader goes for the Vader Bomb, but Luna jumps in and lies on Goldust. Vader says screw it, and hits the Vader Bomb on BOTH of them, for the victory. Awesome.
-Steve Austin arrives backstage, and Michael Cole interviews him - Austin tells him to park his truck and leaves - the Godwinns follow, looking for him.
-Sunny is the guest referee for a minis match.
-Lawler: "If Max Mini wins this match I heard he's gonna take the winnings and buy himself a new car. Those Hot Wheels are pretty expensive you know."
-Faarooq backstage orders Mark Henry to take out Steve Austin, but he's not in his locker room. In the skybox, Vince McMahon is now sitting with Tyson, and SHANE MCMAHON in a rare pre-Attitude Era sighting.
-Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, I rarely mention when we have "recap videos", because they don't add anything to the review that you didn't already know. If anyone wants me to actually say "Recap video of the epic feud between TL Hopper & The Goon" please let me know.
-Michael Cole says there's dissention in the Nation over who will win the Royal Rumble. Rock says he's a complete idiot, then tells Bill Clinton "don't be silly, you gotta cover it willy" regarding Paula Jones. Rock says someone will be standing by to carry Shamrock out of the building.
-The Rock v. Ken Shamrock for the WWF Intercontinental Championship. Good match. Rock pulls some brass knuckles out, hits Shamrock with them, and puts them in Ken's tights, but Shamrock kicks out. Shamrock hits the belly-to-belly, and we've got a new WWF Intercontinental Champion!
-BUT...The Rock tells the referee he was hit with the knuckles. The referee finds the tights, and reverses the decision, DQ'ing Shamrock and giving Rocky the belt back. Shamrock snaps, and puts the referee in the Ankle Lock!
-The Boricuas are backstage looking for Austin. They run into the DOA and a brawl breaks out. Ugh.
-The New Age Outlaws defend the WWF Tag Team Titles against The Legion of Doom. Clearly they've been building to the LOD winning the titles back tonight, right? RIGHT?!?!
-Cole interviews the LOD backstage - Hawk calls him "Mikey Cole".
-Lousy match here. Road Dogg ends up handcuffing Hawk to the ringpost. Animal has the match won for the LOD, and Road Dogg attacks with a steel chair, causing a DQ. They beat on Animal for a few until Hawk breaks the cuffs and makes the save.
-Steve Austin's truck is given away to a fan in Nashville.
-1998 WWF Royal Rumble Match! Gonna format this a little different this year.
-#1: Cactus Jack!
-#2: Chainsaw Charlie! So the tag team partners square off at the start. Charlie chases Jack out of the ring with the chainsaw, so Cactus starts tossing chairs in the ring. The referee gets rid of the chair, and we have dueling chairs for a few, as they exchange unprotected chair shots.
-#3: Tom Brandi. Brandi lasts 7 seconds before Charlie & Jack dump him out to continue the chairshot contest. Charlie gets suplexed onto two chairs, and then hit with a garbage can.
-#4: The Rock! Rock gets hit with the trashcan and put inside, and knocked around for a bit.
-#5: Headbanger Mosh. Chainsaw Charlie misses a horrible looking moonsault, after throwing a chair at Mosh.
-#6: Phineas Godwinn.
-#7: 8-Ball. Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie start fighting again, and Chainsaw backdrops him out - Cactus is out!
-#8: Blackjack Bradshaw. Lawler is claiming that someone has taken out Austin in the back.
-#9: 'The Black Hart' Owen Hart! But for some weird random reason, Jeff Jarrett and Jim Cornette attack him from behind. WHY? Makes no sense. JR calls Jarrett "a stain on the underwear of life".
-#10: Steve Blackman. Nothing much happening. Lawler thinks Shamrock may have been the one to get to Austin.
-#11: D'Lo Brown. Rocky & D'Lo end up scrapping.
-#12: Kurrgan. Here we go. Kurrgan tosses Mosh out pretty quickly.
-#13: Marvelous Marc Mero. The real Sable accompanies him this time.
-#14: Ken Shamrock! Shamrock takes on Kurrgan, dropping him with some kicks and knocking him down. Everyone then teams up on Kurrgan and gets rid of him. Nice!
-#15: Headbanger Thrasher.
-#16: Mankind! Awesome! I was wondering if this was the Rumble with the Faces of Foley. So cool. Mankind goes right after Chainsaw Charlie and eliminates him.
-#17: Goldust. Mankind goes after Goldust...and Goldust sends him over the top!
-#18: Jeff Jarrett. Owen Hart runs down and goes to town on Jarrett. Jarrett tosses him out, but Owen skins the cat, and eliminates Jarrett!
-#19: The Honky Tonk Man! Triple H & Chyna follow him out - HHH is not cleared to wrestle, or in this match. Meanwhile The Rock eliminates Shamrock. HHH pulls Owen out, breaks a crutch over his back, and then bails.
-#20: AHMED JOHNSON! Owen runs to the back after Helmsley here, but falls.
-#21: Mark Henry.
-#22: ...nobody. JR & Lawler speculate that this was supposed to be Austin's entry. AHMED gets thrown over by the Nation. Phineas follows, and AHMED randomly attacks Phineas for no apparent reason.
-#23: Kama Mustafa. Kama shoves AHMED in the aisle, who does nothing. I imagine we're getting close to the end of AHMED's run?
-#24: Stone Cold Steve Austin! The entire ring stops, and everyone faces the entrance ramp to wait on Austin - so of course he comes from the crowd. Austin tosses Marc Mero & 8-Ball, and for some reason, even though they had all stopped to wait on him, nobody ganged up on him. So then who in the world was #22?
-#25: Henry Godwinn.
-#26: Savio Vega. The entire Boricuas clan run down to attack Austin. Austin fights them off, then drops Goldust with a Stunner.
-#27: Faarooq. Faarooq goes straight for Rocky! Hilarious. Rock escapes through the middle rope, as does Austin, and they brawl on the outside of the ring.
-#28: Dude Love! The Trinity is complete! Dude eliminates Bradshaw.
-#29: Chainz. Rock has been in the ring for over 50 minutes.
-#30: Vader! Goldust eliminates Thrasher, then Austin takes out Kama Mustafa, and then Savio Vega. Vader is eliminated by Goldust, lame. Austin then sends Goldust over. Henry Godwinn sends himself over the top by accident. Austin eliminates Mark Henry and Chainz, which leaves us a Final Four of Dude Love, Faarooq, Steve Austin & The Rock. Dude puts the Mandible Claw on Austin, but Austin gives him a low blow, and Faarooq sends Dude out. Rock sits down to let Faarooq do all the work...then gets up and dumps Faarooq out! Wow! Austin throws Rock over the top, but Rock lands on the apron, gets back in, gets dropped with a Stunner and sent out. STONE COLD! STONE COLD! STONE COLD! STONE COLD!
-So seriously...who was #22 supposed to be??
-Cole interviews Mike Tyson, who's super excited, and calls him "Cold Stone". But you can tell he's jacked, even though if he doesn't know anything - calling Shawn Michaels a young up-and-comer. LOL
-Shawn Michaels defends the World Wrestling Federation Championship against The Undertaker...in a Casket Match.
-I couldn't find it on Youtube, but early on, Michaels is sent flying over the top, and the small of his back just cracks against the edge of the casket. This is THE spot that caused Michaels' back injury and ultimately resulted in him retiring for 4.5 years.
-Scratch that, I found it. Watch it one minute in:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/77nLlLIn__8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-Michaels hits Sweet Chin Music onto Taker, sending him toppling into the casket. He perches above the lid, and does the "Suck It" motion, and Taker sits up and grabs his crotch. Taker tosses him back in, and the match continues.
-Taker Tombstones Michaels into the casket, which brings out Los Boricuas and the New Age Outlaws, making it 9 on 1 (counting Michaels, Chyna, and Helmsley). Flashbacks of Yokozuna/Undertaker at Royal Rumble 94, when it was 10 on 1...AND HERE COMES KANE!!
-Kane comes out and destroys everyone. Michaels is pulled out of the casket by Helmsley & Chyna...and Kane clocks Undertaker. He chokeslams him into the casket, and Michaels shuts the lid. Paul Bearer comes down and they padlock the casket together, and wheel it to the top of the entrance ramp. Kane takes an axe and begins chopping the casket with it - presumably to make sure Undertaker's out? That's the only reason I can think of. Kane then pours gasoline all over the casket, and lights it on fire. That was a solid match, though.

[b]WWF RAW is WAR - 1.19.98
Selland Arena - Fresno, CA{/b]
-Here comes Paul Bearer to open the show. Bearer brags about fooling the WWF Universe (I hate that term, and I'll never use it again, I promise ). The crowd chants "You Suck", to which Bearer says, "If I do, then I must be good!"
-Bearer drones on and on giving play-by-play of what happened last night. He finally finishes by saying that The Undertaker will never return...GONG. Paul Bearer freaks out, and a casket is wheeled to ringside. While the casket is being wheeled, JR reveals that after the fire was put out, the casket was opened and revealed to be empty - and KANE comes out of this casket. Bearer laughs, and presents to us the last surviving member of The Undertaker's family, Kane.
-JR interviews DX backstage - HHH tells Owen Hart he can't cut it here, and to head "south". Michaels feigns feeling bad about what happened to The Undertaker. He says they'll find The Undertaker and bring him back tonight.
-Chainz, 8-Ball & Skull v. Faarooq, Kama Mustafa & D'Lo Brown. Back to Tony Chimel, sigh.
-But hey! Apparently #22 was supposed to be Skull. I have no idea why he didn't come out - all JR said was "he was waylayed".
-Anyway, both teams brawl in the ring for a double DQ - Rock and Mark Henry come out to attack the DOA, which brings out AHMED JOHNSON and Ken Shamrock to even the odds. Not sure where Crush is. Maybe he's WCW bound at this point?
-A hearse pulls up to the arena.
-Tom Brandi v. Marc Mero. Wow, Sable is OVER. She's wearing a robe that says "Property of Marc Mero". Someone delivers flowers to her at ringside, which of course sets Mero off. Mero rips them away and stomps on them, and tells her to get to the back. She doesn't leave, though. Mero hits a low blow after a competitive match, and wins with the TKO.
-DX sneak around the hearse and open the door, and a bunch of screaming girls are there, and pull them in. Chyna shuts the door.
-Mike Tyson arrives at RAW!
-In the ring, we have Jacque and Pierre, the Quebecers! They're back! I honestly didn't even realize they were gone from WCW, nor did I care. I also have no memory of them being here - I assume they don't last long?
-They're facing Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie. Also, since I didn't say it a few weeks ago when Chainsaw Charlie debuted...that retirement sure didn't last, Terry!
-PAGING JOHNNY POLO!
-Cactus Jack puts the referee in the Mandible Claw, and Charlie flies out of the ring onto all of them. Quebecers make a bit of a comeback, but then Funk clears out the ring...I don't know. Chaos. Cactus waves the barbed wire bat. This is pointless.
-By the way, this is probably my least favorite time of Mick Foley's WWF/E career.
-Backstage, DX asks the midgets where the Undertaker is, and Michaels asks for no short answers. Chyna begins a full blown dialogue in Spanish with them - one of the few times she's spoken thus far.
-Blackjack Bradshaw v. Jeff Jarrett for the NWA North American Title. Cornette is on commentary. Windham and the Rock and Roll Express are all at ringside as well, as apprently the Express are with Jarrett & Cornette. Windham accidentally hits Bradshaw, and Jarrett retains the title. Yawn. The NWA group attacks Bradshaw, and Windham comes in to make the save...AND THEN TURNS ON HIM. One step closer to the APA...
-DX is backstage, and they can't find the Undertaker...the lights dim.
-Back in the ring to start the second hour, and HERE COMES THE UNDERTAKER! This is a pretty cool return, check it out:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AIsb7Daf3jo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-If you watched the video, you'll know that I was lying. Michaels rapels from the ceiling dressed as the Undertaker, and HHH/Chyna come down with a grill and a "Suck the Cook" apron. They make lots of weiner and fire jokes, and HHH says he'll give Owen Hart a shot at his "coveted European Title" next week on RAW. Michaels emphasizes that he defeated The Undertaker all alone, without any help from anyone. Michaels then tells Austin he needs to call everyone down south to find out what happens when you face Michaels, and that he lays down for absolutely nobody.
-Sunny hits on Mike Tyson backstage.
-The Honky Tonk Man is on commentary for the next match - Los Boricuas v. TAKA Michinoku, The Headbangers, & Owen Hart. Team Owen wins when Owen makes Jesus tap out to the Sharpshooter. Cole interviews Owen about HHH's challenge, and Owen says he'll accept.
-The Rock v. AHMED JOHNSON. Rock wins thanks to Mark Henry blasting AHMED with a chair, followed by a Rock Bottom. Ken Shamrock makes the save.
-Cactus Jack shows off his barbed wire baseball bat to Mike Tyson. DX then is talking to Tyson, with Chyna showing her muscles.
-New Age Outlaws defend the WWF Tag Team Titles against the Godwinns. The Outlaws are dressed as farmers, and don't want to fight - the Godwinns want their title match, though, and attack. Gunn hits one of the Godwinns with - and I'm not making this up - a loaded stuffed animal for the win. Dumb.
-Vince McMahon comes out, and introduces "THE BAAAAAAAAADEST MAN ON THE PLANET" IRRRRRON MIIIIIIKE TYSON! Ok, Vince's intro doesn't translate well to text. Tyson says he's been a fan, and Vince asks who his favorites were - the first one he says is Bruno Sammartino. McMahon announces that on March 29 at Wrestlemania XIV, in this ring...CRASH
-Here comes Steve Austin! This is one of those times where my recap won't do it justice, so please, watch it below, so we can discuss.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qt6XaYeuKR4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-To me, the highlight is Vince saying "you ruined it"...you can almost understand why Vince as a character would have a grudge against Austin after this.
Old 05-06-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let's remember, WWE is still taping RAW every other week at this point. They didn't go live every week until SmackDown debuted. And let's face it, as strong as the WWF roster was about to get, they didn't have the power to support two full shows. And of course, they didn't have a cable channels as part of their family.

Thunder, on the other hand was basically replacing WCW Saturday Night as the B Show, and killing off Clash Of The Champions in the process. Saturday Night turned into a glorified clip show at this point.

The martial arts division was Eric Bischoff's brain-child. It played a lot into why the whole Mortal Kombat/Glacier/Wrath/Mortis stuff got green-lit in the first place. I think it got dropped as nobody outside of Bischoff thought it was a good idea.

Spicolli was a lackey for Scott Hall, but he didn't get the chance to become an nWo member. Unfortunately, he only has 1 month left to live.

Ahhh the '98 Rumble. A solid show and an awesome rumble match. Next year, we get to the Rumble I attended live, and I'll of course share my thoughts about that when you get there.

The LOD feud is actually building to something else.

Thanks to having the Royal Rumble Anthology, I can tell you that #22 was Skull of the DOA. I could have sworn that at some point they flash to the backstage area and show a bald white guy knocked out on the ground, with the assumption it was Austin. Instead, it was Skull as the decoy.

It's amazing that such a little hit to HBK's back is what took him out. I mean look at what he went through at Hell In The Cell. But it's this small bump that killed the prime of his career. Of course, it also saved his life in many ways and made him a much more humble person.

For anyone interested, this episode of RAW is one of the few from 1998 that is actually on WWE Network at this point.

Last edited by TheKing; 05-06-14 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

-The New Age Outlaws defend the WWF Tag Team Titles against The Legion of Doom. Clearly they've been building to the LOD winning the titles back tonight, right? RIGHT?!?!
Oh there building to something. However its something not positive.

Not sure where Crush is. Maybe he's WCW bound at this point?
Yep he'll be in WCW soon. He was one of the guys who wanted out after the Montreal screw job and left when his contract was up.

In the ring, we have Jacque and Pierre, the Quebecers! They're back! I honestly didn't even realize they were gone from WCW, nor did I care. I also have no memory of them being here - I assume they don't last long?
Nope they only get used sporadically before eventually popping up in WCW again.

The Michaels injury I always took more as an accumulation of hits as opposed to that one hit. By that time Michaels was regularly doing his usual high risk spots as well as Foley type spots such as being press slammed on the floor, suplexed etc. The casket hit was the final straw. But he resumed eventually and cemented himself as the greatest in ring worker of all time.

The Austin/Tyson thing was great and still is to this day. For me that was actually the point in time in which I stopped watching WCW live and instead started watching Raw. This is also the main point in which you can see the momentum slowly leaving WCW and heading back to WWF.
Old 05-07-14, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
Spicolli was a lackey for Scott Hall, but he didn't get the chance to become an nWo member. Unfortunately, he only has 1 month left to live.
That's it?! Wow. I thought he was around longer.

Ahhh the '98 Rumble. A solid show and an awesome rumble match. Next year, we get to the Rumble I attended live, and I'll of course share my thoughts about that when you get there.
The only Rumble I attended live was 2011. We have a ways to go before I recap that one.

Thanks to having the Royal Rumble Anthology, I can tell you that #22 was Skull of the DOA. I could have sworn that at some point they flash to the backstage area and show a bald white guy knocked out on the ground, with the assumption it was Austin. Instead, it was Skull as the decoy.
Not that I saw. Hmm.

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Oh there building to something. However its something not positive.
I remember. "LOD 2000". Sigh. I remember the only cool thing being Sunny's outfit.

The Austin/Tyson thing was great and still is to this day. For me that was actually the point in time in which I stopped watching WCW live and instead started watching Raw. This is also the main point in which you can see the momentum slowly leaving WCW and heading back to WWF.
Rewatching it, what struck me was how real it seemed. I mean, it seemed like it was REALLY unplanned. Such a great job.
Old 05-07-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WCW Monday Nitro - 1.19.98
The Superdome - New Orleans, LA

-The second big Monday night dome show in 3 weeks for WCW. Wow.
-Woah, an actual MATCH is opening Nitro! Eddie Guerrero v. Rick Martel. Martel wins with the Boston Crab. Surprising.
-Eric Bischoff and Hollywood Hogan come to the ring. Bischoff presents Hogan with Sting's bat for some stupid reason. Otherwise, typical Hogan promo, except he tells the NWO to "fall in line". Hogan will face the Giant tonight.
-Marty Jannetty v. Chris Benoit. Benoit wins with the Crossface, and Raven's Flock attacks him immediately after - Jannetty makes the save, though.
-Jerry Flynn v. The Cat. Ugh. Large boring chant early on. Cat wins. Yawn.
-Scott Hall comes out, as Zybysko talks about Hall's "oral fixation with that stupid toothpick". Hall does his survey. It's funny how the crowd always cheers for WCW, but still chants "N...W...O". Hall calls out Zybysko. Hall gives Larry a chance to forfeit the match, because he has more important things to deal with. Hall then says when Zybysko was the AWA Champion, the AWA went out of business, and his father-in-law was the boss. Was that true? He says Zybysko is no Dusty Rhodes, and Rhodes started him, and he knows Dusty is proud of him. Weird reference to Dusty Rhodes. Zybysko wants Hall.
-Buff Bagwell & Konnan v. The Steiners. Is Scott Norton gone or something? Scott Steiner gets the win on Konnan without even tagging Rick in at all - the two argue afterwards.
-Gene Okerlund brings out The Giant. Giant says he has a chokeslam for Hogan. Kevin Nash & Hogan come out to the ring, and then Savage comes out to get at Nash. Hogan backs Savage off, but then Savage pushes Hogan into Nash - which pushes Nash into the Giant. Hogan attacks Giant with Sting's baseball bat, which brings Sting out to drop Hogan with the Scorpion Deathdrop and get his bat back. Cool segment.
-Mortis v. Booker T for the WCW World Television Title. I really liked Mortis/Kanyon. I've probably said it before. Tony Schiavone announces that starting next week - the only Nitro I ever attended - Nitro goes to three hours permanently. Sigh.
-Random thought - am I crazy for thinking WCW should've just had a huge tournament for the belt? With their deep roster, they could've really built it up as a big deal, stacked the deck with the NWO interfering to help each other out, but then facing each other...could've also facilitiated the upcoming split of the NWO into separate factions. Could've been cool. Oh well.
-Mortis goes for a top rope frankensteiner, but Booker T counters into a powerbomb - and Mortis lands on his head. Scary looking move. He seems fine though...but man, it's rough. I actually found it on Youtube, check it out:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xas3JmgdfnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-Booker then hits the Harlem Sidekick and wins - Wrath comes out to attack afterward, but RICK MARTEL makes the save! Booker thanks him, and gives him his title shot at Souled Out.
-Okerlund says we're in the shank of the evening, which means it's Ric Flair time. Okaaaay. Flair cuts about 30 seconds of a promo on Bret Hart before Bret shows up. Bret gets a "USA" chant from the crowd as he says Flair is one of the greatest of all time. He acknowledges the chant, saying he's not here to disrespect Flair, WCW, or America. He says Saturday will be a long night for Flair. Flair says he's not here to fight, he's dressed up to go downtown tonight, but he'll give Bret a chance to say Flair is the best. Bret says he's going downtown too, but Flair will wake up Sunday morning with Bret's catchphrase ringing in his ears. This wasn't very good.
-Chris Jericho v. Juventud Guerrera. Jericho wins with the Liontamer, but refuses to let the hold go. He then says he didn't realize Juventud was tapping out to the Liontamer - even though his music was playing. It will never....eeeeeeeeeeeeever happen again. He apologizes to Juvie, and Juvie's holding his head walking away - Jericho thinks he's ignoring Juvie, so Jericho attacks him. Mysterio makes the save.
-Scott Hall v. Lex Luger. Savage interferes, Zybysko tries to make the save but gets beat down by Savage & Hall.
-Michael Buffer introduces our main event of Hollywood Hogan v. The Giant. Hogan comes out with a neckbrace, Bischoff takes the microphone to say Hogan can't compete, so Giant just brings him into the ring anyway to start the match.
-Nash comes to ringside. Hogan bodyslams the Giant, which I like, because it shows that despite being the NWO, he's still "Hogan". Cool moment. Hogan hits the legdrop and goes for the pin, but Savage is on the top rope, so Randy Anderson stops the count. Hogan gets up to talk to Savage, and turns around into a Chokeslam, and Hogan loses!
-Nash attacks Giant, and then Savage. Nash goes for the Jackknife, but Luger attacks Nash, then Savage. Sting comes down and goes after Hogan, and we go off the air. Good ending.

WCW Thunder - 1.22.98
Von Braun Civic Center - Huntsville, AL

-Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan and Lee Marshall this week. Schiavone was handed a press release stating that Rowdy Roddy Piper will be at Souled Out, to make an announcement concerning the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, and that Hollywood Hogan, Sting, & Scott Hall need to be there.
-Konnan v. Scott Steiner. DiBiase comes out with Steiner, which Lee Marshall automatically assumes means DiBiase is ok with how Steiner's been acting. Dumb.
-Vincent, Buff Bagwell, and Scott Norton - he's back! - come out to attack Scott Steiner. Rick Steiner & Ray Traylor come to make the save, but then Scott clears the ring himself. He pulls Rick off of Norton and dumps Norton over the top. Buff flexes at Scott, and Scott flexes back.
-Kevin Nash comes to the ring. Nash says he has a trick up his sleeve to make The Giant snap.
-Chavo Guerrero Jr. & Super Calo v. LaParka & Silver King. Calo gets the pin on Silver King. Standard luchador match. This turns into a brawl with just about every luchador in the locker room - Juventud, El Dandy, Psicosis, and Lizmark Jr all join in on the action.
-Earlier in the day, Nick Patrick asked for interview time. Kidman comes up, calling him a stooge and blaming him for Saturn losing the TV Title. Rick Martel comes through the arena door, and Saturn & Kidman attack him, and toss him through the glass door! Clearly a gimmicked door but still cool.
-Marty Jannetty v. Dean Malenko. Marshall and Heenan argue about math for two minutes. I'm not making this up. Sigh. Malenko wins with the Texas Cloverleaf in a solid match.
-Bill Goldberg v. Kendall Windham. Squash. Heenan mentions that he's pretty sure Goldberg is undefeated, and Marshall confirms he is.
-Scott Hall comes to the ring for a survey. Hall faces The Giant later on in the main event. Hall cuts a promo on Zybysko, and Louie Spicolli comes out with an Outsiders shirt on and a bag of golf clubs. Hall asks him his name again. Hall is much more excited when he finds out that Louie has Zybysko's golf clubs, and they start breaking the golf clubs. Zybysko comes down, and calls them Abbott & Costello. Spicolli tells ZYbysko he couldn't even beat him, and Louie gets taken down by Larry and put in his submission move (I don't know the name). Hall drops the elbow, but Larry moves and Hall hits the matt. Larry slides out, and tells Hall he won't be alone at Souled Out.
-Footage of Roddy Piper on Walker, Texas Ranger. SO BAD.
-Eddie Guerrero v. Rey Mysterio for the WCW Cruiserweight Title. Jericho runs out and attacks Mysterio. Eddie gets mad for a moment, then they both attack Rey. Chris Benoit comes out, who is facing Benoit later, and Jericho's jaw drops. He begs off, and on the outside Malenko and Guerrero are brawling - meanwhile, the bell rings, and we get Benoit v. Jericho now.
-Raven is in the crowd - the Flock is banned from ringside, so Raven actually bought a ticket.
-Benoit goes for the Crippler Crossface, and Jericho taps out before Benoit even gets the hold on.
-Benoit invites Raven into the ring - Raven says no, but then attacks him when he turns his back.
-Hollywood Hogan and Bischoff come out. Everyone worships him. Blah blah.
-Saturn v. Rick Martel. Martel's theme is strangely growing on me:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gSR4BVVOpQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-Long match. Martel wins by submission with the Quebec Crab.
-Scott Hall v. The Giant. Hogan and Nash come out. Randy Anderson is distracted by Nash, so Hogan and Hall attack Giant. Savage comes down, but is shoved off the top rope by Lex Luger. Luger racks Savage on the floor as Nash taunts Savage while in the rack, instead of helping him. Giant tosses Hogan out, then chokeslams Hall and pins him.
-Nash taunts Giant some more, so Giant snaps and rips the ringpost off the ring, and it collapses. Wow.

WCW/NWO Souled Out - 1.24.98
Hara Arena - Dayton, OH

-Why would you put a PPV on a Saturday? Does anyone know if this PPV sold well?
-We open with a SPOTFEST! El Dandy, Psicosis, LaParka & Silver King v. Lizmark Jr, Juventud Guerrera, Chavo Guerrero & Super Calo.
-Schiavone talks about Zybysko stating on Thunder he wouldn't be coming to the ring alone...and Dusty Rhodes changes the subject. Oh boy, I see this coming a mile away...
-Chavo gets the win with a Tornado DDT - LaParka then takes out ALL SEVEN OTHER GUYS with a chair.
-Raven v. Chris Benoit. David Penzer states that Raven must wrestle tonight, and that The Flock is barred from ringside. Raven says he's been left alone before as a child, and doesn't need anyone. He doesn't fear Benoit's pain, he'll feast on it.
-Man this is a good match. I love this feud (well, the matches in it).
-Benoit puts on the Crippler Crossface. Raven refuses to submit, and passes out from the pain, laughing as he does. Crowd pops big! Kidman runs down, but Malenko chases him and puts him in the Cloverleaf. The Flock come down to carry Raven away, as Benoit & Malenko have a staredown.
-Here comes Chris Jericho, to face Rey Mysterio for the WCW Cruiserweight Title.
-Jericho works on Mysterio's knee for the whole match, eventually putting on the Liontamer and getting the submission win. Pretty much a squash, honestly.
-He takes the microphone, and they boo him, which makes him snap - so he says he'll give them a reason to boo, and attacks Mysterio's knee some more. He puts Mysterio's leg inside the steel step, and rams it with some sort of chest. Awesome. Then he says he's sorry.
-Gene Okerlund interviews JJ Dillon. Dillon says they've reached what they feel is a fair decision, and that he did talk to Roddy Piper when he was interim comissioner. This brings out Piper, who says he feels responsible for what happened at Starrcade. Piper asks for Sting to come to the ring, and he does. He then calls for Scott Hall & Hollywood Hogan to come down, and they come along with Eric Bischoff. Piper says Hall won World War 3, and deserves a shot at the World Title and is the #1 Contender, and should get the first shot at the Heavyweight Champion...problem is, we don't have one. Piper says he'll have to take a sidestep. Hall is not happy.
-Does Hall EVER get his title shot?
-Piper teases giving Hogan the title, but then announces Hogan v. Sting at Superbrawl for the title. Sting gets in Hogan's face, and Hogan looks back to Hall...but Hall just bails out of the ring.
-Rick Martel challenges Booker T for the WCW World Television Title. Martel controls the match, but Booker makes a comeback and wins with the Harlem Hangover. Martel takes the belt from the referee and teases hitting Booker, but hands the belt to Booker and raises his hand.
-Saturn then runs out from the crowd and goes to town on Martel. Booker T makes the save, though.
-Scott Hall comes down to the ring with Louie Spicolli, for his match with Larry Zybysko. Zybysko comes out, and Dusty Rhodes leaves commentary to accompany him to the ring. IF YOU WEEEEEEEEEL
-This is about what you'd expect. Old school wrestling match with a lot of flair and show. Dusty Rhodes runs Spicolli off at one point, and we get a huge Larry Sucks chant, which is weird. It's countered with a Hall Sucks chant.
-The ref goes down, and Hall goes to check on him, but Larry plays possum and puts his submission finisher on. Spicolli comes in to break it up, and Dusty Rhodes comes in and rips Louie apart. You can SEE the black shirt underneath what Dusty has on, sigh. He drops the elbow on Hall, but accidentally hits Larry - Hall points at Dusty, and he takes off the shirt to show the NWO shirt. Fans go crazy. Dusty, Hall, and Louie attack Zybysko, and the referee calls for the bell.
-I honestly have ZERO memory of Dusty Rhodes being in the NWO.
-Heenan goes nuts on commentary after the match. Schiavone pulls his stupid crybaby act and leaves the commentary table.
-Buff Bagwell, Scott Norton & Konnan v. the Steiners & Ray Traylor. We have Bobby Heenan alone, saying that Schiavone is standing by the curtain with his back to the crowd. Heenan says they've been such good friends for years.
-Tony is back apologizing, but he's still in all sad mode. He asks for Mike Tenay to come out, and Tenay comes out and takes over. UGH. But then Tony starts talking. So I guess Tenay is just being added. Okay....
-Tony finally seems to get himself together halfway through the match. Scott Steiner gets the pin on Konnan with the Steiner Screwdriver, after practically begging Ray Traylor to tag him in.
-If I didn't know wrestling was a work, I would think Steiner was having a full-blown roid rage during this match. He poses against Bagwell after the match.
-WCW is having a "pay-per-listen" event on 1/31 in Boston. You can listen online!
-Kevin Nash v. The Giant. Hogan & Bischoff come out with Nash.
-Not a good match - about what you'd expect. Slow. Hogan hands Nash a pot of hot coffee, and he throws it in Giant's face, then gives him a low blow. Then Nash goes for the Jackknife...AND DROPS GIANT ON HIS HEAD. AWFUL. Take a look (it's toward the end):
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5IZ0nvLhcl4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-What was the actual outcome of this? Was Giant severely hurt? I know he wasn't at the WCW show I went to two nights later (I don't think).
-And obviously Nash wins.
-Ric Flair v. Bret Hart. Seriously, how is this not the main event?!
-I've never seen this match, and Bret basically said that Flair sandbagged him in the match, so I'm curious to see if it's any good.
-Cool spot early on, where Bret puts on a quick Figure Four out of nowhere.
-Flair asks the referee to check the amount of time left in the match, and immediately pulls the hair of Bret. Cool spot.
-Bret hits a superplex, puts on the Sharpshooter, and Flair submits instantly. Honestly? Not one of their best matches, but it was a solid match. I disagree with Bret on this one. Good match.
-Randy Savage v. Lex Luger. So stupid that this is the main event.
-Tenay says that Mysterio suffered a "severe injury" to his knee earlier on.
-Luger goes for the Torture Rack, but Scott Hall comes out with a chair. Hogan comes out from behind and tells Hall to stop, but ignores him, and Luger shoves Savage into Hall. Luger then racks Savage for the win.
-The NWO comes in and attacks Luger, but Sting runs down for the save. Sting ends up with Hogan in the Scorpion Deathlock, and Luger racks Kevin Nash as we go off the air.

Tomorrow we'll have RAW, along with the Nitro I attended after Souled Out, as well as WCW Thunder, time permitting.
Old 05-08-14, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually watched a botchamania that showed that Nash/Giant spot and Nash was being interviewed and said he was probably more hurt that Giant was. Pulled something in his back trying to lift him up.
Old 05-08-14, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's probably just one of those spots that should've never been attempted. I think at some point he actually does pull it off, though.
Old 05-08-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWF RAW is WAR - 1.26.98
Davis Recreation Hall - Davis, CA

-I've never heard of this place.
-Bobo Brazil passed away at the age of 74.
-The Mike Tyson/Steve Austin situation made mainstream news, per the recap at the start of RAW. Kevin Kelly says Mike Tyson no longer wants to be a referee at Wrestlemania, and instead wants to face Austin, one-on-one. Was this ever actually considered?
-At WWF No Way Out of Texas, it'll be Ken Shamrock, AHMED JOHNSON, and the DOA against the entire Nation. Speaking of AHMED, he and the DOA are coming to the ring with Shammy.
-Bet you can't guess how this match ends? Yep, 10 man brawl! Shamrock wins via DQ.
-We see the footage from the Royal Rumble after it went off the air, where Undertaker was missing from the casket.
-Prerecorded comments from Barry Windham, who calls himself the greatest NWA Champion ever. He says he was tired of having Yosemite Sam as a tag team partner. Jeff Jarrett says he's leading the NWA into the 21st century.
-Windham & Jarrett v. The Legion of Doom. Jim Cornette joins commentary. Cornette tosses the tennis racket in, and Windham hits Animal and gets the win. Dud.
-Footage of HBK on "Pictionary", hosted by ALAN THICKE.
-DX is interviewed backstage. Triple H tells Owen he's going to flush him tonight. Michaels says he's a role model to children worldwide, but it takes one bad apple to ruin it all, and that's Steve Austin. Austin embarrassed the company that Michaels has been carrying for months. Michaels says he will forego his title defense at Wrestlemania to let Tyson and Austin face each other at the event. Triple H agrees, but says Michaels can't take Wrestlemania off, because he's the Showstopper. Michaels says he has to do something at Wrestlemania, then takes his shirt off, revealing a referee shirt. Chyna whispers in his ear, and says he'll be the referee for Austin/Tyson, since he's the greatest wrestler in history AND the greatest referee in history.
-RAW is live next Monday in Indianapolis. I had a choice of going to Nitro or that RAW, and chose Nitro. I'm glad I did, too. More on that next week.
-Goldust - dressed as Vader, and coming to the ring to a mix of his music and Vader's - v. Vader. Vader lays him out quickly with a Vader Bomb - and KANE comes out. Vader slugs it out with Kane, and hits him with a piledriver...but Kane sits up, and Tombstones the big man!
-Mick Foley & Terry Funk talk in the ring before the event about how much fun it is to watch Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie. Okaaay.
-New Age Outlaws v. Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie. At IYH NWO (see what I did there), it's going to be Cactus Jack, Chainsaw Charlie, Owen Hart & Steve Austin v. The New Age Outlaws & D-Generation X. I don't remember Michaels wrestling again until Wrestlemania...hmmm.
-This turns into a steel chair brawl, basically. Cactus Jack ends up putting the Mandible Claw on the referee, and they then put a bunch of chairs on the Road Dogg, for Charlie to do a moonsault onto. A brawl.
-Highlight video of TAKA Michinoku.
-Honky Tonk Man is the guest ring announcer, and he's terrible. Brian Christopher v. "Pantera". Who's this?
-Pantera gets the win after a missed guillotine legdrop from Christopher. Jerry Lawler then attacks Pantera after the match.
-JR interviews Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie - Jack says it was fun. DX shows up and mocks the "hardcore legends", and the Outlaws come from behind and knock the fence over on them - the four men assault Jack & Charlie.
-Quebecers v. The Headbangers. Headbangers win, and then get beat down by the Quebecers after the match. Nobody cares.
-Wrestlemania XIV is 9 weeks away!
-Owen Hart v. Triple H for the WWF European Championship. Except...Goldust comes down dressed as HHH, and Luna as Chyna, with the European Title. I am cracking up. Sadly I can't find it on Youtube.
-JR calls him "Hunterdust".
-Just found it on DailyMotion, let's see if their embed works:
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xjmv26" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Owen Hart vs. 'HunterDust' - Raw - 1/26/98 by ShatteredDreamsProduction
-Hunterdust goes for the Pedigree, but Owen counters into the Sharpshooter and gets the win. HHH and Michaels appear on the Titantron and mock Owen for being an idiot. Commissioner Slaughter comes down to the ring and states that since Owen Hart had a sanctioned match for the European Title tonight, he's now the European Champion! What? Seriously? So did HHH just not want to job to Owen or something?
-We see the Mike Tyson incident from last week for the 47349th time.
-Don King speaks, from Ft. Lauderdale. Ever the promoter. King says the Nevada State Commission says Tyson can't fight. That didn't actually apply to wrestling, did it? He says he and McMahon must come up with a creative solution to this problem without violating the rules. Basically he says a whole lot of nothing.
-Here comes Steve Austin. Austin says last week pissed him off, and says Tyson will find out that you don't mess with Stone Cold Steve Austin. Austin says he'll beat Tyson's ass in his backyard, Austin's, or any of the fans' backyards. He'll give Tyson his beeper number, cell phone number, address, and knock the gold tooth out of his mouth and make it into a necklace. Austin tells Tyson he'll be in Houston on February 15 at No Way Out of Texas, and he'll knock Tyson out there if he shows up.

WCW Monday Nitro - 1.26.98
Allen County Memorial Coliseum - Ft. Wayne, IN

-The only Nitro I attended! And...I remember NOTHING. This is the only wrestling event I've ever went to that I have virtually no memory of. I THINK DDP might face Mortis, but I'm not sure. Otherwise...zero, zip, zilch. I remember barely seeing Hogan (he was at the entrance way at one point). So we'll see how this shakes down.
-I do remember this - LONG GAPS OF NOTHING when the announcers are talking. Brutal and boring.
-Heenan is on commentary to start the show. Zybysko there as well, but no mention of Dusty yet. Big Weasel chant.
-For what it's worth, they've remodeled this arena since then (I go to minor league hockey games there routinely) - they've elevated the roof and added another section of seats at the top.
-El Dandy v. Ultimo Dragon is our first match. Raven's Flock is in the crowd - I guess they paid for their seats again.
-These were my worst seats ever at an event, though - all the way opposite the entrance at the very top. That said, this arena probably only seated about 5-6,000 for wrestling at the time, so it's not like they were terrible.
-Dragon wins with the Dragon Sleeper.
-I'm talking to my best friend who went with me during this, and he's watching on Youtube as well. He says we looked all night in the rafters for Sting.
-Gene Okerlund's at a Nitro party in Tennessee - so we didn't get to see him or the Nitro Girls.
-Brad Armstrong v. Bill Goldberg. We got the debut of Goldberg's pyro! Alright! Armstrong's only offense is throwing his shirt at Goldberg. Spear, Jackhammer, pin.
-DDP says in a prerecorded statement that what happened to The Giant wasn't right.
-Mike Tenay interviews JJ Dillon, who bans the Jackknife or any version of the Powerbomb. Seriously, WHY did they do this. So dumb. He says anyone using it will be fined and DQ'd, and if Nash uses it again he'll be escorted from the building. DUMB DUMB DUMB
-Horale! Konnan to the ring to face Jerry Flynn. Vincent's with him.
-Zybysko mentioned Ted DiBiase's father dying in the ring. Is that true?
-Konnan wins with the Tequila Sunrise.
-Apparently Elizabeth is in Hogan's limousine, but Savage isn't here. SCANDALOUS
-Rick Steiner v. Buff Bagwell. Zybysko: "Rick Steiner is not a smart guy."
-Vincent trips Rick Steiner, so Scott Steiner comes out and murders Vincent, and throws him in the ring right after Rick hits the super bulldog. Bagwell wins by DQ, and Scott Steiner shoves the referee - he and Rick then argue.
-Here come Eric Bischoff and Kevin Nash. Still have no memories of this. My friend is telling me the WCW house show we went to in June of this year in Muncie, IN (Jericho called it "Munson") was better.
-Nash says that Lex Luger came out and said what he did was wrong. He did? What show is Nash watching? Nash said he was so resilent last night that Giant had nothing left, so Nash gave him some coffee to "pick him up". That didn't work, so he wanted to "give him a jump start" with the low blow. He compares it to Old Yeller, and putting Giant out of his misery. Nash then laughs about sticking him on his skull. Nash then announces his new nickname of "Big Sexy The Giant Killer" Kevin Nash. Ahh, so I went to the show where he coined his nickname.
-Wayne Bloom. Um okay. He faces a man making his Nitro in-ring debut, Jim Neidhart!
-Schiavone just casually mentions during this match that tonight is the debut of The British Bulldog! Nice! But why didn't they make it into a big deal?
-Neidhart wins with a powerslam.
-Here comes Ray Traylor to be interviewed by Tenay. Traylor challenges Kevin Nash for tonight.
-Chavo Guerrero v. Psicosis. Psicosis wins.
-Louie Spicolli comes out with Scott Hall's tag team titles. Hall is trailing behind him. No NWO music, just Spicolli's generic theme. Hall does a survey. We were there to see the NWO. Just saying. The crowd was definitely pro WCW though. Hall talks about Dusty Rhodes, "The Original Outlaw", being part of the Black and White Express. Hall says young Louie Spicolli wants to be part of it too, but doesn't say if he is.
-Spicolli v. Juventud Guerrera. Hall tries to shake Juvie's hand, but Juvie just ignores him. Hall leaves.
-Randy Savage arrives in the parking lot in a car, and he's seething angry, yelling randomly. Back inside the arena, Savage comes in and takes out Juventud and piledrives him. Savage calls out Lex Luger, and says that Hogan, Bischoff & Nash are the only reason that Luger won. Spicolli counts his own pin during the interview. Louie taps him on the shoulder, and Savage takes him out. He says he doesn't want help from the NWO anymore. Elizabeth comes down, and the NWO music hits as the whole NWO comes out, Hogan included. This would be my first time seeing Hogan live - I'd only see him one other time, in 2003.
-Savage is furious, saying that nobody cares about his loss to Luger, and that Hogan makes him sick. Hogan says that they're all a family, and they work things out. He said he and Hall saw that Savage "wasn't doing so well, dig it?" and was basically getting beat by Luger. Hogan says they came down to help him out, thinking that their presence would help him, since Luger was outshining him. Hogan says if he doesn't want their help, he's on his own - Savage says that's what he wants it. He says the match wasn't over yet, they weren't coordinated with their efforts to help him, and that Hogan looked much better with the belt around his waist. Hogan says everyone knows he beat Sting twice and that he'll have the belt back in February. Savage leaves the ring to get a chair, and Hogan says he needs to work his problem out. Savage says not to help him, and to worry about Sting and getting the gold back in the "faaaamily".
-Gene Okerlund back at the frat party with the Nitro Girls.
-Mortis - who I was really excited to see - against Raven. So two of my favorites in WCW at this point, I was definitely excited for this match. DDP is defending the US Title against Wrath - so I was close.
-Solid match. Vandenburg slides a chair to Mortis, but Raven ducks the chair swing, hits the DDT and gets the win.
-Wrath - he and Mortis had some pretty cool theme music/entrances - v. Diamond Dallas Page for the WCW United States Championship.
-Wrath is whipped into Mortis, and DDP hits the Diamond Cutter for the win. Mortis helps Wrath up...and Wrath hits the Death Penalty on him! BOOM! Vandenburg yells at Wrath, and Wrath chases him off.
-Tenay brings out Bret Hart. Bret thanks Ric Flair for a great wrestling match, and says Flair will always be the man. What? Bret says Roddy Piper's decision about the title is cool with him, as if he needed to approve it. Bret said he came here to be the WCW Champion, and he'll prove that he'll be the best WCW Champion ever. Let me know how that turns out, Bret.
-More Okerlund/frat party nonsense.
-Saturn v. Booker T for the WCW TV Title. During the match, Saturn randomly screams out WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?????
-Good match. Booker goes up top for the Harlem Sidekick, but Hammer knocks him off, and the Flock all run in for the DQ. Rick Martel runs in to make the save.
-Tenay brings out Chris Jericho! I do remember being excited about this, as he was starting to become my favorite in WCW at this point. He's wearing a Rey Mysterio shirt. Tenay asks him about the attack after the match, and Jericho says he found the box to use to carry his Cruiserweight Title then. He then asks Tenay if Rey was hurt. Jericho dedicates the Cruiserweight belt to himself, his fans, and then Rey. Jericho then starts crying, and wants Rey to keep us updated on his progress. He's wearing the shirt as a tribute to Mysterio. LOVE IT
-Steve McMichael v. the debuting British Bulldog, with some horrible theme music. I couldn't even find it. So bad. Bulldog wins a terrible match with the running powerslam.
-Kevin Nash v. Ray Traylor. Nash has a cup of coffee with him again. Nash throws the coffee in Traylor's face, low blows him, and Jackknifes him. Referees and security run down and handcuff Nash and escort him out. Nash starts chanting "ATTICA! ATTICA!" I'm cracking up.
-Scott Hall comes back out. THIS SHOW IS TAKING FOREVER. Hall says Ft. Wayne is NWO country. He says he exposed Zybysko, and he has zero wrestling talent. Zybysko yells on the headset, and then takes it off and heads to the ring, but he's held back by security. Dumb.
-Zybysko's been escorted out after the commercial break (why?), and Lex Luger comes out to face Hall.
-Short match. Luger signals for the Rack, and Randy Savage runs down to attack Luger with a chair. I think around this time we noticed Sting in the rafters. Savage throws Hall out of the ring and goes to the top for the elbow. He goes for a second one, and Sting rapels down and knocks Savage right off the turnbuckle. Sting unhooks and hits the Stinger Splash, and then the Scorpion Deathlock. Hogan and Hall are on the outside, but are taunting Savage, saying he said he doesn't need their help anymore. FINALLY THE SHOW IS OVER.

WCW Thunder - 1.29.98
Mid-South Coliseum - Memphis, TN

-Wasn't WCW JUST here?
-Tony Schiavone speculates who the referee will be for Sting/Hogan at Superbrawl. $10 says it's Roddy Piper, and I have no idea if I'm right.
-Sick Boy v. Diamond Dallas Page for the US Title. Has Sick Boy even won a match?
-Needless to say, DDP hits the Diamond Cutter and wins.
-Mike Tenay interviews JJ Dillon, who fines Kevin Nash $50,000.
-Meng v...Hacksaw...Jim...Duggan. Sigh. He's back. And I don't have time to stop and fast forward every match of his at work...so I have to suffer. UGH.
-Hacksaw breaks the 2x4 over Meng's back while the referee is distracted, but of course Meng is invincible and doesn't sell it, and wins with the Tongan Deathgrip.
-Raven cuts a promo in the ring, saying this match is anything goes. Raven v. Marty Jannetty. Not very competitive, Raven wins pretty quickly.
-Yuji Nagata v. Bill Goldberg. Spear Jackhammer Pin. Heenan starts calling him "Da Man!" in this one.
-Here comes Scott Hall. Survey time! Schiavone announces that Randy Savage will face Lex Luger at Superbrawl in a No DQ match. Hall says he's coming after the champ after Superbrawl. Hall then introduces Dusty Rhodes. Dusty comes to the ring and cuts a pretty good NWO promo, which I've included below, so check it out:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4iD43c2V96w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
-He should NEVER say "Too sweet" again, though. One question - he gave a shoutout to Syxx. Wasn't Syxx fired at this point from WCW?
-Disco Inferno comes to the ring to face Hall - Dusty is still at ringside. Disco hits the Chartbuster instantly on Hall, and goes for the pin, but Dusty pulls him out of the ring.
-Hall ends up winning with the Outsider Edge.
-Mike Tenay interviews Nick Patrick, who's been suspended since Starrcade. Patrick says that each referee has their own style and pace, and that he made his normal three count (he did!!). Patrick is outraged that he was suspended, and he has his attorneys involved. He wants to be the referee at the rematch, to prove that he's for real, not "for life".
-Saturn v. Booker T, once again for the WCW TV Title. The Flock comes down to interfere, and Martel runs down - Booker T rolls Saturn up for the win, and then is knocked into Martel. Martel thinks it was intentional, and the two have words, but straighten it out.
-Man, I feel robbed. At Nitro, we got no Eddie, no Dean, no Benoit, and a Jericho promo - now here on Thunder we get Chris Jericho & Eddie Guerrero v. Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko. AWESOME match. Jericho ends up submitting to the Crippler Crossface, while Malenko gets his knees up to block Eddie's Frog Splash.
-Tenay is in the ring with Benoit. Ugh. He says "Quote the Crippler nevermore" and says this chapter has come to an end...even though nobody said anything to him about Raven or the Flock. Tenay says he's the most accomplished wrestler to never have a title, and Benoit says he doesn't need one to prove his worth. He then says because of his affiliations, he doesn't get opportunities, which I assume is a reference to Woman/Nancy. Diamond Dallas Page interrupts from the crowd, and says Benoit's never gotten a shot at a title because the "so-called promoters" never saw him as a main eventer, just like they didn't see him as once. DDP says they were wrong about him, and thinks they were wrong about Benoit too, and Benoit reminds him of himself. He offers Benoit a shot at the US Title, and Benoit says name the time and place - DDP says next Thursday at Thunder. Benoit accepts.
-The Steiners v. Kevin Nash & Konnan. Apparently this is for the WCW World Tag Team Titles? Schiavone mentions Syxx, and that he's still injured, so I guess he still hasn't been fired yet.
-Buff Bagwell comes out, and pulls Scott Steiner off the ring apron - they begin another posedown. Nash hits Rick Steiner with the Tag Team Title, and the referee disqualifies them, so Nash gets the Jackknife on the referee. Nash gets arrested again.

Tomorrow, we begin February, which brings us Superbrawl, In Your House: No Way Out of Texas, and ECW Cyberslam.
Old 05-08-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The AWA story is an interesting one, especially when it comes to the AWA title and Larry Zybysko. It also ties into Hulk Hogan. Hogan believed at one point that one of the reasons that Verne Gagne declined to put the AWA belt on Hogan was that Hogan turned down an offer to marry Verne's daughter. In the end, Hogan would win the belt, then immediately get screwed out of the win by screwy circumstances. It was this frustration that would lead him to leave the AWA and join Vince in the WWF. Verne Gagne could have had the biggest star in the business, but he blew it.

Zybysko on the other hand, had seen his star fade after he had a hot run in the WWF with Bruno Sammartino. He did marry Verne's daughter, and would eventually be given the AWA title, though it was at the end of the run, and he really didn't have anybody else to put it on.

Zybysko is also a really good golfer, probably why the clubs were a part of this angle.

I remember The Giant ripping the ring post out. It was a really great visual.

WCW was probably trying to avoid the NFL playoffs by doing the PPV on a saturday. WWF did the same thing with the rumble in it's early years.
Old 05-08-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Davis Recreation Hall is on the campus of UC Davis...the backwoods hick farming member of the UC system. So basically they're at a small college in Northern California.

There was a real possibility that HBK wouldn't wrestle at Mania due to his back, or his personality, or whatever. He was very hard to deal with at this point in time. There's a possibility that in order to get around that, they'd ask Tyson to actually wrestle. My guess is that it wasn't really considered.

Michaels' only remaining match until 2002 is WrestleMania. He'll be replaced at No Way Out.

The idea of banning moves is usually just used to get heel heat when they break the rule.

Yes, Iron Mike DiBiase (that was his nickname too!) died from a heart attack in the ring during a match. He was Ted's adopted father, as he had married Ted's mother, who was also a wrestler.
Old 05-08-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

he Mike Tyson/Steve Austin situation made mainstream news, per the recap at the start of RAW. Kevin Kelly says Mike Tyson no longer wants to be a referee at Wrestlemania, and instead wants to face Austin, one-on-one. Was this ever actually considered?
Very, very, very, very briefly it was. They decided not to go through with it though because Tyson was on probation from boxing due to the Evander Hollyfield incident and he didn't want to risk pissing off the Athletic commission. There was actually an interview around this time where Owen Hart talks about Tyson wrestling and how he's against it.

Honky Tonk Man is the guest ring announcer, and he's terrible. Brian Christopher v. "Pantera". Who's this?
Just a random luchadore. You won't see much of him.
Old 05-09-14, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-Horale! Konnan to the ring to face Jerry Flynn. Vincent's with him.
Orale, holmes.

It means "listen to me" in Spanish.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.