The February 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: Elimination Chamber

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The February 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: Elimination Chamber

Old 02-26-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: The February 2014 Pro Wrestling Thread: Elimination Chamber

Originally Posted by Matt925 View Post

Man, wwe must be thrilled with this picture.

Lebron gave belts to all his teammates.
@StephMcMahon
You're welcome @KingJames! Good luck defending your Title in the Playoffs! #WWE #StriveForGreatness pic.twitter.com/EXE0csRUQA
Old 02-26-14, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 915 Posts

Oh, that's why he was asking how to get championship belts a few weeks ago. I thought the Rock was going to hook him up?
Old 02-26-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank God Romo didn't have the same idea. That would be a disappointed locker room for years to come.
Old 02-27-14, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are those the $400 "cheapies" from WWE shop or did he actually commission some Dave Millican customs (which I would have imagined would take months to make)?
Old 02-27-14, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Are those the $400 "cheapies" from WWE shop or did he actually commission some Dave Millican customs (which I would have imagined would take months to make)?
From the link in Steph's tweet above

Old 02-27-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I hope he didn't his teammates belts with his name on them.
Old 02-27-14, 09:02 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to see Brock Lesnar do a run-in at the next Heat game and take out the team. "Mr. James, my client BROCK LESNAR has waited and waited for his title shot. A title shot that he has been denied despite the fact that he is the most dominating figure in sports entertainment and - well, I'm just going to say it - sports in general. So to see you come out here and flash that belt in his face, a belt you did not compete for, a belt you did not win in a WWE ring, a belt that... let's be frank here... you have no business wearing, well, that upsets my client. And Brock Lesnar is not a man you want to upset, Mr. James."
Old 02-27-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

^ They got Dennis Rodman and Karl Malone to do stuff in WCW, why not?
Old 02-27-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I hope he didn't his teammates belts with his name on them.
Looks like they all got their own custom side plate for the name, and a Heat logo on the other side. Here's Ray Allen's:

Old 02-27-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first live wrestling card on the WWE Network is about to start. NXT arRIVAL is also the first live TV show for NXT. The pre-show had Bret Hart, Kevin Nash and Paul Heyman, so you know the WWE is actually pulling out all the stops here.

Sure, it's not Mania, but it's still a pretty important moment in the history of the Network.
Old 02-27-14, 07:29 PM

Received 372 Likes on 269 Posts

That match with Cesaro/Zayn was crazy. One of the best matches I've seen in a while.
Old 02-27-14, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yea, that was fantastic
Old 02-27-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
That match with Cesaro/Zayn was crazy. One of the best matches I've seen in a while.
While I question using Cesaro on this show just days after putting him in a main event title match on a PPV, you can't question the quality of that match. If this is what has given Cesaro his current forward momentum, then it's a great move.

We're also starting to see the WWE transition over to the new logo here. The turnbuckle covers are the new logo, they have the logo plastered everywhere in the arena. But the ref is still wearing the old logo on his shirt. My guess is that they will do the switchover on the main shows at WrestleMania, maybe even debuting a new belt right after that.

Of course that will make all those belts LeBron James just bought obsolete.
Old 02-27-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

That submission Paige did on Emma was worth my $10 this month. NXT is my new favorite show.
Old 02-27-14, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
NXT is my new favorite show.

This is my first time watching NXT. But I'll definitely check it out every week. It's been a great show.
Old 02-27-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Kurt Angle gets inducted into the TNA HoF and the event is in London?
Old 02-27-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

I was at the NXT PPV live, and it was great! As posted before, they definitely pulled out all of the stops. Hell, it was $15 a ticket and the Cesaro/Zayn match alone was worth the price of admission. I don't know where the PPV ended on TV, but after Neville won the title John Cena came into the ring to congratulate him. Neville then spent a good amount of time socializing with the fans and posing for photos. Very good show. I know that I got on TV because a friend of a friend with whom I was attending snapped a shot of his screen at one point to show us.

However, something that they most likely won't report: they sold over 500 tickets for an event that could only seat about 400. Over 100 people were left outside to watch the event on a Titantron. Thankfully, I wasn't one of them and I presume they got refunds. I don't think this was WWE's fault as much as it was Full Sail University's. They are more or less a practicum based school for all forms of modern media, and their events are run largely by student interns. They individuals running the actual ticket and venue aspect seemed lost and kind of arrogant. While I don' think they can fire unpaid interns, they can remove them from their projects. If they don't , they need to do so, because it was a disaster from that standpoint.
Old 02-28-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

Really good show, but does nothing to assuage my fear that the WWE Network can't handle the load during live PPVs.

I almost don't want to see the NXT Divas get called up, since it means having no match time, horrible opponents, and getting put in awful stories (if you're one of the rare Divas to even get a story).

On that note, check out the amazing cat-like reflexes of Eva Marie from a recent show:

To be fair, that one looks to be on Aksana. I guess she's a little gunshy after hurting Naomi.
Old 02-28-14, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I think the WWE should worry about over-diluting it's product. The revised ECW was a major disaster and one reason why was because there was too much WWE wrestling on tv.
Old 02-28-14, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently Buff really does have the stuff.

Buff Bagwell has joined the cast of Gigolos, which I believe is on Showtime (I only know of the show from the constant use of it on The Soup). In his first episode, he had sloppy seconds on a gal that wanted to be serviced by 4 men.

Well, that's probably best for him, the last time he went first was when he was involved in the first match of the WWE's version of WCW. And hey, at least he wasn't 3rd or 4th.

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
I think the WWE should worry about over-diluting it's product. The revised ECW was a major disaster and one reason why was because there was too much WWE wrestling on tv.
Of the list of things that doomed the new ECW, too much WWE wrestling on TV was way down on the list.

Far closer to the top: Having a zombie character on the first episode. Having the revamped ECW fit more into the mold of the rest of WWE's product, instead of standing on its own. Having Paul Heyman micro-managed to the point of just ripping it from his grasp and turning it into a clone of the rest of their programming. December To Dismember. RVD getting arrested and being forced to lose both the WWE and ECW titles. Test. Mike Knox. Kevin Thorne. Extreme Expose (as dancers).

Last edited by TheKing; 02-28-14 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-28-14, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I don't know where the PPV ended on TV
Thanks to the Network and the continuing technical difficulties, neither do any of us.
Old 02-28-14, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I the only one that doesn't have a clue how the Network can even be remotely profitable?

Let's say they get their million subscribers for a 12 month period. That's $120 million in revenue.

Last year, Wrestlemania took in 1.2 million buys. Let's just assume they can count on an even million, and we'll say $55 per buy. That's $66 million. So half of their network revenue for the entire year. That's not counting all the buys they're going to miss from the other 11 PPVs, from production costs for all the new original content, network maintenance costs (clearly they aren't spending enough), etc.
Old 02-28-14, 08:08 AM

Is the NXT show going to be on every week? It was pretty awesome. I hope they get the 360 app working soon.
Old 02-28-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

You are not including the cable or dish share of the profits, I think WWE's cut was around 40%. Also, wouldn't be surprised if they end up screwing over the wrestlers even more because while they do get a cut of the pay per views they do no get a cut of the network profits.
Old 02-28-14, 10:15 AM

I didn't realize Sami Zayn was El Generico. I always loved his stuff at ROH. Can't wait to see what he does in NXT/WWE.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.