Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who will win it all?
Broncos
63
64.29%
Seahawks
35
35.71%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Old 01-24-14, 11:10 AM
  #76  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,677
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

wow, really surprised at the poll results.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 01-24-14, 11:14 AM
  #77  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,677
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

I did see this fun stat today:

Player A: 257-407, 63.1%, 3,357 yds, 8.2 ypa, 26 tds, 9 ints
Player B: 225-330, 68.2%, 2,739 yds, 8.3 ypa, 28 tds, 5 ints

Any guesses?
Spoiler:
Player A is Russell Wilson. Player B is Peyton Manning’s season split in half.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 01-24-14, 01:43 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
dan30oly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,749
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Finally!!1!

A poll option!!
dan30oly is offline  
Old 01-24-14, 01:50 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,588
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Have only seen a little chatter about Manning pulling an Elway and retiring if he wins. I wonder what people's thoughts are about this possibility.
Haven't wanted to go there because I don't want to jinx anything, but I think it would be sad if he did. Manning is still playing at such a great level of play (ie. best - getting almost every QB passing/points records this season) and has atleast a few seasons left in him, but that was the case with Elway as well (not best but still high level of play), so I know age, wear and tear on the body, and going out on top can be very strong influences to the decision (but Elway's were also back to back championships).
Duh Vuh Duh is offline  
Old 01-24-14, 03:25 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,588
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Well, at least in the finals the Avalanche are 2-0.
Agreed and I love them too probably neck and neck with the Broncos. And the Broncos are 2-0 in super bowls as well (with Elway having an actual team behind him).

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
wow, really surprised at the poll results.
Don't be Dan, we are all feeling the justice that needs to be served. Now we just need to get your head on board with your heart.
Duh Vuh Duh is offline  
Old 01-24-14, 10:10 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Legend
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,755
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I know who JJ is, what I am wondering is what relevance it has here. Because he once played for Seattle, even if the thing that scarred you happened when he played for a different team? And he gets no credit for being a PSU player?
Perhaps it was because JJ played at Penn State. I don't know how old CRM is, but if he was a young male child at the time, I think we can all understand where the scarring might have occurred.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 01-25-14, 08:35 AM
  #82  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,802
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Never. I'm dreading the traffic I'll deal with for this one.
There won't be any. Parking lot is shut down for the game. Only way in is public transportation.
Tarantino is offline  
Old 01-25-14, 08:43 AM
  #83  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,802
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
If he wins, he'll still be Then, Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl, an expansion team. In a convoluted way, this is connected to my desire not to see THIS expansion team win a Super Bowl.
'Expansion team'

The way you say it feels like they won the Superbowl in their first year in the league. The Seahawks have been in the league for almost 40 years.

By your logic, the only non-expansion teams in the NFL would be the Decatur Staleys and the Chicago Cardinals.
Tarantino is offline  
Old 01-25-14, 09:48 AM
  #84  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,602
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
'Expansion team'

The way you say it feels like they won the Superbowl in their first year in the league. The Seahawks have been in the league for almost 40 years.

By your logic, the only non-expansion teams in the NFL would be the Decatur Staleys and the Chicago Cardinals.


Wait, two Super Bowl appearances in 40 years is not so great.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 01-25-14, 10:51 AM
  #85  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,967
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Personally, I think the Broncos are praying for milder weather. If we get temperatures below 32 °F. and a chance of snow flurries, Peyton Manning will be running for his life unless the Broncos can get Knowshon Moreno and other Broncos running backs going.
RayChuang is offline  
Old 01-25-14, 12:27 PM
  #86  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 17,176
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Cold and snow won't matter to Denver. Snow is harder on defenses than offenses, as the offensive players know what routes their running, while defenders are trying to react. They "Peyton can't play in the cold thing" has been way overblown and is a bit of a joke at this point.

Wind would be far worse for Denver.
Jeremy517 is offline  
Old 01-25-14, 12:40 PM
  #87  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 21,677
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Cold and snow won't matter to Denver. Snow is harder on defenses than offenses, as the offensive players know what routes their running, while defenders are trying to react. They "Peyton can't play in the cold thing" has been way overblown and is a bit of a joke at this point.
Snow on the ground, sure, but if it's snowing that makes the ball harder to throw and catch.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 01-25-14, 02:18 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,966
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
They picked NJ for the Super Bowl. Why on earth would they move it if it snows? Wasn't that the point?

I can't stand all the whiners. The SB should be moved around to every stadium in the country - stop crying about weather. It will be alright. Really.
I'm fine with letting cold weather cities get it - as long as they have a roof.

Although, the way things are going, we might eventually see it being played in mid- or even late-February, which should make weather a little less of a concern.
Drexl is offline  
Old 01-25-14, 02:39 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,265
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Ok who here has actually been to a Super Bowl?

I have been to five but I doubt I will ever go again with the face value of the cheapest seats going for $500. Besides it is true that your television offers the best seat available.


Went to the Cards/Steelers superbowl in Tampa. It was one of the most exciting yet excruciating events I've ever been to. We didn't pay face. I think our tickets were around $2k.
Deftones is offline  
Old 01-25-14, 06:36 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,802
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I'm fine with letting cold weather cities get it - as long as they have a roof.
Why should that matter? The elements are part of the NFL. I hope it snows a ton for this Super Bowl.
Tarantino is offline  
Old 01-26-14, 03:05 PM
  #91  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 33
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

I'm putting $50 bucks on Seattle, go Seahawks!
floyd2006 is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 07:39 AM
  #92  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,744
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Peter King wrote about that fans going to the SB should get there 2 hours early, because of the metal detectors and checking any bags/handbooks, etc. It is comparable to getting early to the airport at this point.

Which speaks to the cold weather element: If the game starts at 6:15, and you have to get their around 4-4:30, and the game wont end til around 10:30-11.

Good luck sitting out in the cold weather for 7 hours!
mcnabb is offline  
Old 01-27-14, 08:27 AM
  #93  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,562
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

the town is insane... it took me awhile to get to work because the freaking super bowl blvd was closed off...\

i cant wait til this shit is done
raven56706 is offline  
Old 01-29-14, 05:54 PM
  #94  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Ginwen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 7,212
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh View Post
Don't be Dan, we are all feeling the justice that needs to be served. Now we just need to get your head on board with your heart.
I'm still not sure what this means. Does Seattle not deserve to be there for some reason? Or they deserve to be there but Denver is for some reason more deserving of a win (of course, "deserving" is heart not head so it couldn't be that.

Either way, 40 of you (so far) are going to be wrong, Seattle's totally got this.
Ginwen is offline  
Old 01-29-14, 06:26 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,878
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by Ginwen View Post
Either way, 40 of you (so far) are going to be wrong, Seattle's totally got this.
If the Patriots couldn't run on the Broncos, the Hawks won't be able to either - that means Wilson will have to air it out to keep up with Peyton (yes, Sherman is awesome, but he can't cover ALL the Broncos' receivers). I just don't think Wilson will be able to out-pass Peyton. Therefore...

Broncos 28
Seattle 10
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 03:14 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rocky Mountain High
Posts: 2,588
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by Ginwen View Post
I'm still not sure what this means. Does Seattle not deserve to be there for some reason? Or they deserve to be there but Denver is for some reason more deserving of a win (of course, "deserving" is heart not head so it couldn't be that.

Either way, 40 of you (so far) are going to be wrong, Seattle's totally got this.
They deserve to be there, was just a reference to an earlier post by Dan after the Denver courthouse was decorated in Broncos colors and a plaque read 'and justice for all' and I want his head to get on board thinking the Broncs will win.

Thought this was pretty funny.



GO BRONCOS!!!!
Duh Vuh Duh is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 03:40 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Even the Seahawks mascot has no class
fumanstan is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 03:43 PM
  #98  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,602
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
If the Patriots couldn't run on the Broncos, the Hawks won't be able to either - that means Wilson will have to air it out to keep up with Peyton (yes, Sherman is awesome, but he can't cover ALL the Broncos' receivers). I just don't think Wilson will be able to out-pass Peyton. Therefore...

Broncos 28
Seattle 10
It's difficult for me to imagine that it'll be a blowout. Yes, Peyton can outthrow Wilson every day of the week and Denver has tons of targets, but Seattle has a top secondary in addition to Sherman and they've bottled up Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis in the playoffs. Welker in the slot might be the biggest threat.

Obviously there will be tons of factors going on here. I expect a close game, with the Seahawks pulling it out.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 04:32 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,475
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/8kn3

Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-30-14, 05:44 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 15,878
Re: Super Bowl XLVIII: Denver Broncos vx. Seattle Seahawks, February 2, 2014

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
It's difficult for me to imagine that it'll be a blowout. Yes, Peyton can outthrow Wilson every day of the week and Denver has tons of targets, but Seattle has a top secondary in addition to Sherman and they've bottled up Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis in the playoffs. Welker in the slot might be the biggest threat.

Obviously there will be tons of factors going on here. I expect a close game, with the Seahawks pulling it out.
Doesn't necessarily mean it will be a blowout...I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle is tied or in the lead at halftime...I just think whatever Seattle's defense shows Manning, he'll have figured out by the 4th quarter...so I'm thinking a couple of late touchdowns (quite possibly the result of Wilson turning over the ball late in the game when in catch-up mode).
Shannon Nutt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.