DVD Talk Hero

Received 307 Likes on 257 Posts
MLB 2013-14 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Eat it, Twins!

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...king-standings

Bad baseball: Final tanking standings

September, 30, 2013 9:55 AM ET

By David Schoenfield | ESPN.com

So we ended up with the quite the finish here. Lots of bad baseball down the stretch. Lots. Remember: The top 10 picks are protected if you sign a free agent who is given a qualifying offer. Plus, the worse you finish in the overall standings the more money you get to spend in the draft. Yay, incentivized losing!

1. Astros: 51-111
Just in case they were worried about the Marlins catching them, they lost their final 15 games to ensure the No. 1 pick for the third draft in a row.

2. Marlins: 62-100
Kudos to Henderson Alvarez for his final-day no-hitter. In fact, the Marlins swept the Tigers in that season-ending series and won five of their final six, allowing just seven runs over those six games.

3. White Sox: 63-99
Tried hard to catch the Marlins, going 7-21 in September and losing five of their final six. Went 2-17 against the Indians, although no truth to the rumor that the Indians will share their playoff shares with the White Sox.

4. Cubs: 66-96
Ended up tied with the Twins, but get the higher pick based on 2012 record. And boy did they fight hard to get that fourth pick. Lost six of their final seven and 12 of their final 15.

5. Twins: 66-96
Lost 10 of final 11. Too bad they beat the Tigers in extra innings on Sept. 23 or they would be drafting one slot higher. In Sunday's finale, ensured defeat with three errors. In the sixth inning. Nice job, Twins!

6. Mariners: 71-91
Went 6-14 over their final 20 games to slide from a bubble team securely into a top-10 position. Lost their final eight extra-inning games, proving there's an art to successful tanking. Namely: A bad bullpen helps.

7. Phillies: 73-89
It looked like they would jump out of the bottom 10 but then lost nine of their final 11. No wonder Ryne Sandberg got the job for next year! The final game was huge, as the Phillies came up big with a 12-5 loss to the Braves.

Now, this is where things get really interesting. We had a four-way tie for spots 8 through 11. The tiebreaker is 2012 record. So ...

8. Rockies: 74-88
Those two one-run wins over the Dodgers on Saturday and Sunday didn't help, but the tiebreaker gives them the edge. Not that they'll be pursuing Robinson Cano or anything.

9. Blue Jays: 74-88
How nervous was GM Alex Anthopoulos watching the Jays nearly rally from a 7-0 deficit on Sunday? They did beat the Rays twice on the final weekend but still lost 12 of their final 19.

10. Mets: 74-88
The Mets had the most to lose if they finished out of the top 10, since they presumably could be pursuing some of the big free agents this winter. Luckily the offense came through with three straight 4-2 losses to the Brewers (before winning the season finale 3-2).

11. Brewers: 74-88
Well, this is what a 15-12 record in September will do to you. No Kyle Lohse for the Brewers this offseason!

12. Padres: 76-86
Yes, Padres fans, there were 11 teams worse than yours.

13. Giants: 76-86
The Giants went 10-5 over their final 15 to at least avoid becoming just the second World Series winner (after the 1997 Marlins) to finish in last place the next season. So there's that.

14. Angels: 78-84
A 21-7 stretch in August/September ruined any chance the Angels had of finishing with a top-10 pick. So if they went to throw $250 million at Cano, it will cost them their first-round pick.
Old 09-30-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: MLB 2013-14 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Stupid Cubbies. Thankfully they usually blow it right?
Old 09-30-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow - didn't realize the White Sox only finished one game ahead of Miami. What a pathetic team they fielded this year.
Old 09-30-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Stupid Cubbies. Thankfully they usually blow it right?
Not in the last few years, as far as we know.

Although at the time I created this thread, I didn't realize Sveum had been canned. No one expected them to contend, but the regressions this year by their expected centerpieces Castro, Rizzo, and Samardzjia probably killed him. I know organizationally they were trying to "improve" Castro so that's not just on Sveum, but it didn't help him either since one of his perceived strengths is as a hitting guru.
Old 09-30-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Mets lucked out as they got a top 10 pick. I think they wanted to sign Bourn the last offseason but were leery of giving up their #11 pick. They've been already connected to Shin Choo Choo of the Reds.

The Mariners were playing ok until September. Somehow they managed to tank themselves into a top 8 pick.

That manager's job isn't going to be that appealing since it's likely that Jack Z might get fired during or after the 2014 seasons.

Not mentioned: Hunter Pence signs a 5 year 90 million extension to stay with the Giants. That sounds about what he would get on the FA market.

Teams that should have money to spend in FA this year: both Chicago teams, Seattle, Mets, SD and SF.

Last edited by sleepyhead55; 09-30-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 151 Likes on 112 Posts

Dale Sveum fired by the Cubs.

Collins re-signed by the Mets.
Old 09-30-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
Not mentioned: Hunter Pence signs a 5 year 90 million extension to stay with the Giants. That sounds about what he would get on the FA market.
Old 09-30-13, 02:48 PM
Admin

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: MLB 2013-14 Off-Season & Hot Stove Thread

Thread title has been fixed.
Old 09-30-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post

Not bad for a guy that looks like a meth head
Old 09-30-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Pence, King of the Tapper.

He did well to pad his stats when the Giants were out of it but when he really could have made difference 9 times out of 10 he would tap the ball back to the pitcher or the third base man.

Giants overpaid a good 20 or so million for the guy.

Last edited by WCChiCubsFan; 09-30-13 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 08:13 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Pence, King of the Tapper.

He did well to pad his stats when the Giants were out of it but when he really could have made difference 9 times out of 10 he would tap the ball back to the pitcher or the third base man.

Giants overpaid a good 20 or so million for the guy.
Everything he does is awkward. Somehow it works for him though.
Old 09-30-13, 08:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You missed the point.

When the pressure was on he was worthless. Time after time when there were runners in scoring position he would hit a tapper in the infield that resulted in nothing but an out.

When the season was over and there was no pressure he hit.
Old 09-30-13, 09:43 PM
Admin

You missed the point.
I got the point, you think he's overrated and pads his stats when it doesn't count. I like that he looks weird out there. That was my point. The way he throws and swings the bat, he shouldn't even be able to function on a baseball field.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UFA__ztkdP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GHWXFe2RHNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A true Goofball.
Old 10-01-13, 09:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm looking for Brian McCann to join the Red Sox. He already fits the mold and he still has some very productive years ahead of him. Plus Saltalamacchia is a free agent who can't throw guys out at second very often. That shit's gotta end.

My other wish is for the Yankees to resign Cano. Pretty please with a cherry on top.
Old 10-01-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You missed the point.

When the pressure was on he was worthless. Time after time when there were runners in scoring position he would hit a tapper in the infield that resulted in nothing but an out.

When the season was over and there was no pressure he hit.
His second half was certainly better than the first half of this year but for his career that is not the case. He has 813 career first half OPS and 816 career second half OPS.
Old 10-01-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the WC play-in thread:

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Sorry, Mordred.

Seems like the Rangers should be able to reload with the likes of Profar, and Darvish etc. are still strong, but they've lost a lot of talent lately.
Again, this loss doesn't sting like last year, mainly because we played good baseball right at the end. I never would have thought we'd even have a chance, but 7 straight wins to make it was pretty good. The odds of winning 9 must-win games to make it to an actual series were pretty damn low. It was a fun ride though.

One of the announcers last night said that any other year Washington ought to be manager of the year... which is a huge joke if you watch the games, but damn if we didn't have a ton of injuries. 11 different pitchers started games this season and outside Harrison, none of them started less than 3 games. Harrison was our opening day starter and pitched in only two games. Two others from our projected rotation started the season on the DL and only Ogando got significant innings. 50-games from Cruz obviously hurt as well. I honestly don't know if any team had more guys on the DL than Texas this year. Only reason we had a chance was being in the West, but it was still a pretty impressive feat.

The bad news is that this team has traded a lot of talent over the last three years for what have so far been mostly rentals. We gave up a lot for Garza, who was pretty up and down with Texas and it'd be a huge waste if he isn't resigned. We've been in win now mode for 4 straight years and it's taking it's toll on the farm system. It also hasn't helped that Profar hasn't been a Trout/Puig/Myers type talent yet. He's 20, extremely raw and odds are he'll get there, but I think expectations are a little higher when you've got the number one prospect in the minors and all these other guys are putting up huge numbers right away.
Old 10-01-13, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Two others from our projected rotation started the season on the DL and only Ogando got significant innings. 50-games from Cruz obviously hurt as well. I honestly don't know if any team had more guys on the DL than Texas this year. Only reason we had a chance was being in the West, but it was still a pretty impressive feat.
Rangers had 19 on the DL

The Yankees had 28

The Yankees set an all-time organizational record for the number of players on their active roster with weeks still to go in the season.

Last edited by ctyankee; 10-01-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-01-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I stupidly forgot about the Yankees woes. Yankees injuries were mostly position players, and Texas' were mostly pitchers. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any current data on numbers of days lost to the DL which is really the most informative stat. Apparently nobody auto-tabulates that though.
Old 10-01-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 322 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
I'm looking for Brian McCann to join the Red Sox. He already fits the mold and he still has some very productive years ahead of him. Plus Saltalamacchia is a free agent who can't throw guys out at second very often. That shit's gotta end.

My other wish is for the Yankees to resign Cano. Pretty please with a cherry on top.
McCann is a dead-pull hitter these days and would have terrible results in Fenway. The most obvious team interested in McCann would be the Yankees.
Old 10-01-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Yankees had a tough season, but I think that constructing a roster around older players would be a factor in that.
Old 10-01-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
McCann is a dead-pull hitter these days and would have terrible results in Fenway. The most obvious team interested in McCann would be the Yankees.
The Rangers are also a distinct possibility as they need a power hitter badly.
Old 10-01-13, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Yeah, I stupidly forgot about the Yankees woes. Yankees injuries were mostly position players, and Texas' were mostly pitchers. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any current data on numbers of days lost to the DL which is really the most informative stat. Apparently nobody auto-tabulates that though.
I guess you could add up the days from this source and have a directionally correct number. Naturally, if put on the 15 or 60 day DL a player cannot come back early. However, someone put on the 60 day DL could go longer ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas.../injuries.html
Old 10-01-13, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
First, half the games are on the road and if you only load your roster with right-hand power, you'll fail. Besides Ted Williams pulled all of his home runs and that never stopped him.

Secondly, the Yankee farm system is loaded with catching prospects like no other. So, to put big money into a short-term solution when you have other needs makes little sense.
Old 10-02-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
I also hope this happens but I think this is the year the Yanks finally "get it" and let him and Granderson walk.
Old 10-02-13, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I also hope this happens but I think this is the year the Yanks finally "get it" and let him and Granderson walk.
From an article:

The Yankees need to sign Robinson Cano. The Yankees need to let Robinson Cano decline in some other city. You have heard both arguments many times, so here instead is an objective truth at the core of this tangled issue: Brian Cashman is in a bad spot, either way.

The Yankees-Cano union, glorious for both sides since the second baseman emerged in an early-season roster shakeup in 2005, is up for re-evaluation at the worst possible time for a franchise that cannot afford to lose him, and cannot afford to keep him at the likely cost in years and dollars. In moments like these, it is easier to write about or follow teams than it is to run them.

Here are two comments on Cano, one from a rival executive, and one from a coach who has seen him from opposing dugouts for many years. These are contradictory statements, but both are correct -- and that is Cashman’s dilemma here.

The executive: “They have to do whatever it takes to keep Cano, because their whole revenue model depends on stars. They have the network, and the ticket prices, and they have to feed that beast. I wouldn’t give him ten years, but you probably have to give him eight years.”

The coach: “Cano is not a franchise player. He’s really good, but this stuff about $300 million is crazy. He’s not the guy you build your team around.”
Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/bas...irardi-return-

I would take it further ... Cano doesn't have a great work ethic, he rarely hustles and he seemingly refuses to take a pitcher deep into a count. So a Cano on the decline is a deal to decline.

But a friend of mine completely disagree with me. He sees a guy with big numbers and power in a fielding location you rarely see power and thinks this is a special guy a team needs to keep. Time will tell.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.