Old 08-02-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The AUGUST 2013 Pro Wrestling Thread - Summerslam brings THE BEST vs. THE BEAST

So far for Summerslam, 3 matches are official

WWE Champion John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan

World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian

CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar

In TNA news: Tito Ortiz made a surprise appearance at Impact this week.
Old 08-02-13, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The AUGUST 2013 Pro Wrestling Thread - Summerslam brings THE BEST vs. THE BEAST

Remember Kurt Angle's three I's? Intensity, Intregrity, and Intelligence. I think we can add a fourth: Intoxication.

From PWI:

TNA star Kurt Angle was arrested last night and charged with Driving While Intoxicated in Wise County, TX. Angle posted a $2,000 bond and was released.

This is not the first DUI arrest for Angle. He was arrested in September 2011 in Warren County, VA for DUI but got his lawyers got the charges amended to reckless driving.

Angle was also arrested for DUI in Pittsburgh a few years back after being found at his home by police after a woman phoned in a complaint about his driving, but those charges were later dropped.
Angle would later release a statement about the incident, saying he will immediately be entering rehab.
Old 08-05-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: The AUGUST 2013 Pro Wrestling Thread - Summerslam brings THE BEST vs. THE BEAST

Daniel Bryan is killing it with his promo tonight.

I honestly don't think there is any way WWE can have a satisfactory ending to the SummerSlam match without one of the two turning heel.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 08-05-13 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Daniel Bryan is killing it with his promo tonight.

I honestly don't think there is any way WWE can have a satisfactory ending to the SummerSlam match without one of the two turning heel.
Why? They're already playing up the McMahons as the villains here, so they don't really need a bad guy in the match. Cena is already going to be booed, so it's not like the crowd is divided.

Then you still have Orton and his briefcase. It's a perfect way to put the belt on Bryan and shift Orton into a feud with him, while Cena is taken out of the title picture. Now yeah, they'd want to make Orton a heel at that point, but he's far better as a heel anyway.
Old 08-05-13, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the Usos' big push stops.

Big E looked like a star tonight. If the WWE is looking for a black main eventer as I've heard, they might go with him.

Daniel Bryan is the MVP of the WWE, even surpassing Punk.
Old 08-05-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, the WWE is at least teasing the Orton heel turn.

Maybe my prediction of Orton cashing in at Summerslam, but failing will come to pass. They are definitely positioning Bryan to be the champ, a vegan Stone Cold if you will.

It does make you wonder if this came out of the Total Divas show. I mean last night's episode was pretty much all about Cena and Bryan having a vacation together with the Bellas, and then Bryan brings up Cena's house in his promo. If it wasn't the plan all along, they are at least doing a good job of working it into the feud. As long as they don't add the Bellas that is...
Old 08-06-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I could actually see them having Bryan and Cena go the distance with one another, Cena maybe winning by a count out as he barely makes it back into the ring, then Orton cashes in and defeats a near defenseless Cena. This could lead to them setting up a triple threat match at the next PPV where Bryan defeats Orton for the title. This way Cena isn't pinned by Bryan and their feud can continue.
Old 08-06-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Has anyone else seen CM Punk's "Grammar Slam"? They must've been recorded earlier in the year (based on the references to his feuds with Undertaker and Cena). But I haven't seen it until now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/13FV1GaA20I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0Y4zxcSuwlI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8HpC4R-JKZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wa7TvxC2rgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VFEEa-jibhs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When his wrestling career is over, Punk would make a great grade school English teacher. Even now, he needs to appear on Sesame Street and get kids straightened out.
Old 08-06-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those are great!
Old 08-07-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sheamus is out 4-6 months with a torn labrum (injured on their South African tour). Never like to see a guy injured, but maybe it could be a blessing in disguise. It seems WWE has been riding the guy pretty hard for a while and he's due for a little time off. And story-wise it seemed like he's been spinning his wheels as of late. Hopefully he'll be able to come back and make a big splash by Royal Rumble time.
Old 08-07-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Sheamus is out 4-6 months with a torn labrum (injured on their South African tour). Never like to see a guy injured, but maybe it could be a blessing in disguise. It seems WWE has been riding the guy pretty hard for a while and he's due for a little time off. And story-wise it seemed like he's been spinning his wheels as of late. Hopefully he'll be able to come back and make a big splash by Royal Rumble time.
Seems like getting an injury or fired is the only way to get time-off from WWE. Or maybe be dating the WWE champ and filming a reality show.
Old 08-07-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently the injury originally occurred in the MITB match. But the focus was on his leg at the time as it had nearly doubled in size. But once his leg got back to normal, the pain in his shoulder just got worse.
Old 08-07-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems like getting an injury or fired is the only way to get time-off from WWE. Or maybe be dating the WWE champ and filming a reality show.
Hey ... that looks like hard work the Bellas are doing on Total Divas

I've heard the idea floated around that maybe the careers of wrestlers would last longer if there was an "off season". Or if it was more acceptable for guys to take time off without fearing for their jobs or position in the company. Jericho has managed to do it regularly throughout his career ... and maybe that contributed to him never having a major injury and still being in great physical shape in his 40s. But not many guys can say "Hey Vince ... I'm taking a few months off to recharge my batteries and work on some side projects. See ya later!!"

Cena's one of the few who could and should but never does. I never noticed his grotesque elbow before, but now that Cena pointed it out I can't help staring at it. Thanks a lot Cena
Old 08-08-13, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 424 Likes on 214 Posts

Just posted a new wrestling Sheep game for those intersted in playing: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk...p-vol-2-a.html
Old 08-08-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey ... that looks like hard work the Bellas are doing on Total Divas

I've heard the idea floated around that maybe the careers of wrestlers would last longer if there was an "off season". Or if it was more acceptable for guys to take time off without fearing for their jobs or position in the company. Jericho has managed to do it regularly throughout his career ... and maybe that contributed to him never having a major injury and still being in great physical shape in his 40s. But not many guys can say "Hey Vince ... I'm taking a few months off to recharge my batteries and work on some side projects. See ya later!!"

Cena's one of the few who could and should but never does. I never noticed his grotesque elbow before, but now that Cena pointed it out I can't help staring at it. Thanks a lot Cena
An offseason wouldn't work well, but what is really missing is the movement of wrestlers from territory to territory. One of the WWE's biggest problem is its inability to build new stars because of their need to run the current stars out there and always give them a top spot. In the day of the territories, and even when WCW and ECW were around, companies could keep their cards fresher by letting guys go to other areas.

Sure, TNA is there, but they're not on equal footing. And WWE won't bring an indie straight into the fold without putting them through NXT. And when the WWE lets someone go, it usually means they don't want them back.

So how do you get around that? Time off. Allow the card to churn. It works with Jericho, it could work with others as well. You're starting to see the new deals with Lesnar and RVD. Even CM Punk is working a light load right now, including not working the last international tour.

But again, for this to really work, the guys have to risk losing their spot. But for the real top guns, it's not a major concern.
Old 08-08-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
So how do you get around that? Time off. Allow the card to churn. It works with Jericho, it could work with others as well. You're starting to see the new deals with Lesnar and RVD. Even CM Punk is working a light load right now, including not working the last international tour.

But again, for this to really work, the guys have to risk losing their spot. But for the real top guns, it's not a major concern.
Ideally, management would come around to the idea that in the long-run (both for the wrestlers' health and their own financial bottom line) you need to give people time off. Just a month or two would probably do wonders for many. But it has to be guaranteed it could never hurt a wrestler (i.e. losing his spot/job). And they have to be willing to make guys take time off, even if they think they're Superman and don't want to do it (Cena, Sheamus).

I think this is realistic. There really does seem to be a mind-set change in WWE. "Real" drug-testing, concussion awareness, the new fitness center. As much as "smart fans" seem to hate him, I think HHH getting more influence (instead of Vince McMahon) is a good thing. He lived the life, so he knows first-hand what's going on.
Old 08-10-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LotusEater79 View Post
I don't watch much American wrestling these days, but I try to watch everything Bray Wyatt does. Hopefully his wrestling is adequate, because his promos are great. I'd love to see them do some street preacher-type of vignettes, where Wyatt goes around preaching on streetcorners with Harper and Rowan standing around looking intimidating, and capture peoples legit reactions to them.
Did you ever see him in his earlier character, Husky Harris? I thought his wrestling was good. Despite the bad physique he moves really well and his high-impact offense looks strong. And he's still really young (mid 20s), so there's a lot of time for learning and improvement. The one red flag about him is that he's been pretty injury-prone, which might stem from carrying around too much weight.

I look forward to seeing what he'll do too. The guy seems to really put a lot of thought into his character ... really getting into the mindset, instead of just coming across like a guy reading someone else's lines. Despite being another second generation wrestler (his dad is IRS ... Mike Rotundo), he seems intent on making his own name for himself.
Old 08-11-13, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you ever see him in his earlier character, Husky Harris? I thought his wrestling was good. Despite the bad physique he moves really well and his high-impact offense looks strong. And he's still really young (mid 20s), so there's a lot of time for learning and improvement. The one red flag about him is that he's been pretty injury-prone, which might stem from carrying around too much weight.

I look forward to seeing what he'll do too. The guy seems to really put a lot of thought into his character ... really getting into the mindset, instead of just coming across like a guy reading someone else's lines. Despite being another second generation wrestler (his dad is IRS ... Mike Rotundo), he seems intent on making his own name for himself.
Technically, he's 3rd generation. His mother is Barry Windham's sister, and her father of course is Blackjack Mulligan. Hell, Bray's real name is Windham.

He did drop quite a bit of weight since his Husky Harris days, but still its quite amazing how different in size he and his brother (Bo Dallas) are.
Old 08-11-13, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your a fan of shitty 80's wrestling, ESPN Classic will be having a marathon, of Global Championship Wrestling from 10am-8pm tomorrow.
Old 08-12-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone still watching Total Divas? I think the show's credibility took a hit by acting like Naomi legitimately shot on her fiance in the ring ... by doing a hurracanrana! Is there even a wrestling move less likely to work on someone in a real fight than that one? Maybe the Canadian Destroyer (flip piledriver):

Old 08-12-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,103 Likes on 860 Posts

Ideally, management would come around to the idea that in the long-run (both for the wrestlers' health and their own financial bottom line) you need to give people time off. Just a month or two would probably do wonders for many. But it has to be guaranteed it could never hurt a wrestler (i.e. losing his spot/job). And they have to be willing to make guys take time off, even if they think they're Superman and don't want to do it (Cena, Sheamus).

I think this is realistic. There really does seem to be a mind-set change in WWE. "Real" drug-testing, concussion awareness, the new fitness center. As much as "smart fans" seem to hate him, I think HHH getting more influence (instead of Vince McMahon) is a good thing. He lived the life, so he knows first-hand what's going on.
When I was a kid, I had no idea who was jumping from other feds and when, so when guys either got introduced from another company or went out for a long time due to injury and came back, it brought a freshness to their character.

Even if there was some mandated time off and they weren't officially going to be fired, there are so many ways to "punish" wrestlers without outright letting them go that I think it would still be tough.

As far as unlikely moves, I always thought any move resulting from throwing someone against the ropes was kinda dumb, because the victim still has to keep running, sometimes right into a dropkick. That and the punches with the stomp for sound effect. Or anything requiring someone be unconcious while sitting on a turnbuckle.
Old 08-12-13, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone still watching Total Divas? I think the show's credibility took a hit by acting like Naomi legitimately shot on her fiance in the ring ... by doing a hurracanrana! Is there even a wrestling move less likely to work on someone in a real fight than that one? Maybe the Canadian Destroyer (flip piledriver):

You're GF never did a hurracanrana on you when she got angry? You must be lucky.
Old 08-12-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Natalya actually got put over for once. Judging from the way she had AJ locked into that sharpshooter, I would wager she was making it hurt a bit more than AJ wanted.
Old 08-12-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Natalya actually got put over for once. Judging from the way she had AJ locked into that sharpshooter, I would wager she was making it hurt a bit more than AJ wanted.
It was so strong AJ had to tap even after Natalya let it go!

Here's a recent photo I saw of Val Venis (Sean Morley). Brace yourself:

Spoiler:
Old 08-13-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts

Watching last night's show, I wondered why it looked like the WSM on the back if Mark Henry's singlet looked spraypainted out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.