Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The AUGUST 2013 Pro Wrestling Thread - Summerslam brings THE BEST vs. THE BEAST

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The AUGUST 2013 Pro Wrestling Thread - Summerslam brings THE BEST vs. THE BEAST

Old 09-12-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The AUGUST 2013 Pro Wrestling Thread - Summerslam brings THE BEST vs. THE BEAST

I wonder if WWE were not public, if he would have been let go.
Old 09-12-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The AUGUST 2013 Pro Wrestling Thread - Summerslam brings THE BEST vs. THE BEAST

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
I wonder if WWE were not public, if he would have been let go.
Didn't stop Vince firing him the first 3 or 4 times before they went public.
Old 09-12-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I wasn't aware of 'other times'.
If rumors are true, sorta bullshit movie on WWE part. If it is true, I blame Steph. She seems like a real bitch nowadays.
Old 09-13-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 736 Likes on 602 Posts

Last 20min are pure Gold! Unfortunate that this may have lead to Ross leaving because EVERYONE loved it!
Actually pretty much the entire last twenty minutes or so of that I was just annoyed. Flair is just a sad shell of what he once was and to see him up there embarrassing himself and WWE as a whole just made me roll my eyes at him. Honestly if his drunken bullshit ranting is what led to JR getting put into retirement by WWE (which is stupid if that's what really transpired) that's just a sad situation. Flair is less of an asset to WWE at this point than JR was if you ask me.

I wasn't aware of 'other times'.
If rumors are true, sorta bullshit movie on WWE part. If it is true, I blame Steph. She seems like a real bitch nowadays.
JR was treated like shit by the WWE for years on screen before he took on his more backstage role. Just look up some segments and you'll see them embarrass JR over his condition or other stupid shit. Sure some of that is just for the show but some of that just seemed genuinely insulting to the man. It's nothing new for the WWE though, they seem to do this with a lot of their talent no matter how long someone has been with them or anything like that. The WWE seems to like to burn bridges with people who are genuinely talented people like him who know the business well and have helped them out many times over the years. Stephanie I think has always been kind of a bitch and it goes along with how Vince has ran the WWE for years if you ask me. The McMahon's seems to have this idea of what they want their product to be and if other people have their own ideas that don't fit in with that vision they shit all over it and anyone involved (not just related to JR but to the general product). Honestly the only McMahon who ever seemed half decent to me is Shane but I don't believe he has much to do with the WWE at all anymore.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-13-13 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-15-13, 09:57 PM

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm surprised they put the belt back on Bryan so quickly. I was expecting them to drag this out for a couple months. Wonder where they're heading with it now?
Old 09-15-13, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, this is easy....Armstrong used a fast count....Bryan loses the belt as soon as Raw starts tomorrow night....Armstrong gets fired....the only question I have is does it immediately go back to Randy or did Randy "dissapoint as the FACE OF THE COMPANY" and get punished and some1 else takes the mantle....hell, the H could put the belt on himself....this story isnt going anywhere for the forseeable future and I figure all this was was the only way the writing staff figured to move things forward and maybe get back some viewers they have lost the last couple of weeks to apathy and football.....hell, maybe Vince will finally come back and make that face turn we've been told about by the smarks....
Old 09-16-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Honestly the only McMahon who ever seemed half decent to me is Shane but I don't believe he has much to do with the WWE at all anymore.
I don't think we have seen the last of him, I'm sure the WWE is well aware he may be the only well liked McMahon and they are just waiting for the right time for him to show up against his sister and HHH.
Old 09-16-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Disappointed they got the belt back to Bryan. This story needed to go on for a while for it to truly cement Bryan as the new top face. If they go into a process where he loses and regains it over and over, it will get old real fast. Maybe Orton failed another drug test and this had to happen.
Old 09-16-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
I don't think we have seen the last of him, I'm sure the WWE is well aware he may be the only well liked McMahon and they are just waiting for the right time for him to show up against his sister and HHH.
Didn't Shane intentionally leave the business, saying he just didn't want to be a part of wrestling anymore? He's CEO of a Chinese broadband company now.

Any yes ... HHH stripping DB of the belt on Raw seems so painfully obvious that I hope they go in a different direction. With football season though, I usually drop out of Raw until the next January.
Old 09-16-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Didn't Shane intentionally leave the business, saying he just didn't want to be a part of wrestling anymore? He's CEO of a Chinese broadband company now.

Any yes ... HHH stripping DB of the belt on Raw seems so painfully obvious that I hope they go in a different direction. With football season though, I usually drop out of Raw until the next January.
That's what I thought as well, that Shane was done with the business. If he has his own thing, I can't blame him for trying to keep himself separate from the wrestling aspect of his life.

I also tend to watch football over Raw, but I alternate during commercials, and football takes a heck of a lot more. However, I do DVR raw.
Old 09-16-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone watch the mid-season finale of "Total Divas" on E!? Like a lot of reality tv garbage, it can be embarrassingly captivating Some funny stuff. I love Nattie's cat, Gizmo, who makes Grumpy Cat seem happy. I can't blame him, with Nattie dressing in him up in stupid costumes (like a little cat-tuxedo for the wedding). Poor Gizmo just has a "kill me please" look on his face everytime the camera catches him And DB's look of horror as Brie dives to catch the bridal bouquet. The awful dress Nattie's mom makes her with a giant rose where her lady parts would be. Damien Sandow as MC/host of the wedding. And the culmination of the whole Nattie/Jarred/TJ triangle (which of course is as manufactured as hell).
Old 09-16-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Former WWF performer Mike Droese, who wrestled for the company as Duke "The Dumpster" Droese in the 1990s, was indicted on charges of selling morphine to undercover authorities earlier today.

Droese had been arrested this past Friday evening.

Droese, now retired from pro wrestling, now works as a Special Education teacher in Centertown, TN.

It's a shame, Duke "The Drug Dealer" Droese would have been a decent gimmick during the attitude era.
Old 09-16-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know AJ Lee is a ring talent, but damn does she know how to do entertaining commentary.
Old 09-16-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So Daniel Bryan is a 2-time WWE Champion with a combined title reign of less than 24 hours.

Jesus.
Old 09-17-13, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So no Bryan or Orton as champ. Will they do a rematch with a special ref, or something else entirely?
Disappointing, but ti should make for interesting TV for a few weeks.

Dusty Rhodes lost a ton of weight, I hope it was a diet and not that he's sick or something like that. Damn, his forehead is effed up good. I think he went into business for himself on the mike a few times with Stephanie. When I first started watching wrestling many years ago, Dusty was my FAVORITE.

The 23rd annual Pro Wrestling Illustrated top 500 issue has been released.
Top Ten
Spoiler:

1) John Cena
2) CM Punk
3) Hiroshi Tanahashi
4) Bully Ray
5) Kazuchika Okada
6) Sheamus
7) Jeff Hardy
8) Alberto Del Rio
9) Dolph Ziggler
10) Kevin Steen

5 WWE, 2 TNA, 2 NJPW, & 1 ROH.

In case you were wondering, Daniel Bryan finished 11th.
Old 09-17-13, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RE the PWI 500: Are you fucking kidding me?
Old 09-17-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sheamus at #6? I can see an argument for the rest, but what the hell has he done in the last year?

As for Dusty, he dropped a lot a weight a few years ago, so he's fine.
Old 09-17-13, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 258 Likes on 179 Posts

Is there anything in this world more predictable than the 3rd place Japanese wrestler ranking in the PWI 500?

The PWI 500 would be so much better if there were still territories, with WWE being essentially the only show in town, the PWI 500 loses most, if not all, of its luster.
Old 09-17-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Wasn't Jeff Hardy out for most of the year? I get that they've built up Bully Ray to be a main event wrestler but #4? Really? Sheamus has already been discussed so I'll leave it at that.
Old 09-17-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So i caught up on Total Divas and was wondering how much of it is scripted. Like half the drama seems completely fake. Also Nattie's wedding seemed totally fake. My wife was wondering if Tyson Kidd was gay
Old 09-17-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I know AJ Lee is a ring talent, but damn does she know how to do entertaining commentary.
100% agree. That's how you do heel commentary and still make it interesting. Take note JBL (who has turned into a shadow of his former self and just blindly does the I'll take HHH's side thing without even a thought).

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
So Daniel Bryan is a 2-time WWE Champion with a combined title reign of less than 24 hours.

Jesus.
Or 3-Time World Champion if you prefer with each reign ending in absolutely horrible fashion. Wrestlemania 18 second madness, MITB, and Fast Count Chicannery.

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Wasn't Jeff Hardy out for most of the year? I get that they've built up Bully Ray to be a main event wrestler but #4? Really? Sheamus has already been discussed so I'll leave it at that.
Bully Ray deserves his #4, he has been amazing over the past year. I don't agree with everything else, but I'm on board with Bully getting the nod there.

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
So i caught up on Total Divas and was wondering how much of it is scripted. Like half the drama seems completely fake. Also Nattie's wedding seemed totally fake. My wife was wondering if Tyson Kidd was gay
All of the drama is fake. However, to my knowledge, all of the relationships are real including Nattie and Kidd. I want to watch the show but in all honesty, I usually get caught up in something else, so I forget its on.
Old 09-17-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
So i caught up on Total Divas and was wondering how much of it is scripted. Like half the drama seems completely fake. Also Nattie's wedding seemed totally fake.
It's probably not scripted per se ... but I'm sure it's artificial in the way the most (if not all) reality tv shows are. Editing can pretty much put together any story the producers want, whether it happened or not. Lines taken out of context, jumbled chronology, inappropriately dramatic music. And producers of these shows go out of their way to set up certain situations which leads to the drama.

Anyone else notice that some wrestlers are having their faces blurred out? Looks strange, especially since WWE appears to have so much control over their product and are behind the show. And it's pretty obvious sometimes who it is ... anyone know who the tall muscular ginger with ultra-pale skin might be? I can't blame the wrestlers though, not wanting manufactured reality tv drama to impact their characters. Unless you're just not getting any airtime, and any exposure is good exposure. Not the case for Sheamus.

Last edited by brainee; 09-17-13 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 10:04 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So AJ Styles dropped a pipe bomb tonight, and Dixie turns evil.
Old 09-20-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

He stepped down in early September, just when we thought he was out...they pull him back in, maybe.
Old 09-20-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 736 Likes on 602 Posts

I didn't know that about Shane. I liked him a lot and his matches were usually fun (even though most of his matches were just stunts or hardcore type matches) and he was a good mic worker. Still will never forget the night he showed up on WCW Monday Nitro and "stole" WCW out from under Vince's nose. One of the greatest wrestling moments even if the whole Invasion storyline was pretty meh overall. He seems like a smart guy though and is probably cut out to do a lot more than just work in WWE for his entire life.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.