Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

ESPN laying off 100's of employee's

Old 05-22-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ESPN laying off 100's of employee's

This according to AP plus ESPN has released a statement on the matter.

I hope no one get's laid-off who selects the highlights because there is nothing mightier(or boring) than an NBA stuff shot.

I really don't know if their ratings are in the toilet or they are more interested in profit margin.

There will be a new kid on the block coming in August so maybe ESPN is already looking over their shoulder.
Old 05-22-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: ESPN laying off 100's of employee's

Hopefully Stuart Scott is one of them.
Old 05-22-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My guess would be taking resources away from the sports no one watches.
Old 05-22-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Colin Cowherd could always go to the 24-hour Laker Channel(not too be confused with ESPN) and host a Laker Talk Show(not too be confused with The Herd).
Old 05-22-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People still watch ESPN?
Old 05-22-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
People still watch ESPN?
I watch for 30 for 30, and the occasional game.

I'm sure its a budgetary thing. I really doubt that execs finally came to the conclusion that Sports Center and their other "personality-based" programming is now unwatchable and they decided to clean house.
Old 05-22-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I used to watch SportsCenter ALL THE TIME. Now I rarely do. Part is due to highlights being more widely available, but I don't even watch online highlights that much. I think I just got tired of the schtick and filler.

I watch football games, football highlights, and the occasional baseball game. I spend more time listening to their podcasts than watching the channel.
Old 05-22-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I read about this story yesterday. It's pretty sad. I work in the industry and this is part of the territory sometimes.

Supposedly this was ordered by the suits at Disney including Bob Iger. They want every division to increase their profits and improve efficiency even though Disney and ESPN's profits are at an all-time high.

They said they need to increase profits after spending so much money for TV rights and including starting the SEC Network.
Old 05-22-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn View Post
I watch for 30 for 30, and the occasional game.

I'm sure its a budgetary thing. I really doubt that execs finally came to the conclusion that Sports Center and their other "personality-based" programming is now unwatchable and they decided to clean house.
They are planning to spend $125M to upgrade their SportsCenter set. Supposedly they don't have all the money to pay for it.

The layoffs are also attributed to the spending for the TV rights.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-22-13 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://deadspin.com/ex-espner-did-ne...spor-509311401

The layoffs at ESPN are going to affect all channels, production, remote production (games).

Apparently the people who got canned yesterday were long-time employees.

As I just said, the money they just spent for NFL, US Open and launching the SEC Network are supposedly the reasons for all the job cuts.

Sometimes I hate my industry.
Old 05-22-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shouldn't the beancounters realize that making acquisitions creates a big hit on the books? And then you get rid of people, which might affect whether those acquisitions succeed. That's a bad collision of short- and long-term thinking.
Old 05-22-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

I can't believe what ESPN paid for the US Open tennis rights. That was downright insane IMO. The NFL I can see. The SEC to a lesser extent.

I wish ESPN was willing to spend the cash on the Olympics instead of these other things so we could get fullform live TV coverage of everything instead of NBC's crappy approach.
Old 05-22-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Here's an interesting bit from the Deadspin story:

That's why there might be conjecture that the layoffs may play into some sort of deal between ESPN & Disney - layoff a certain percentage of staff = getting the budget needed for DC2. Obviously the layoffs aren't solely because of this, they are likely also tied to the amount of spend ESPN has been doing recently to tie up sporting events and keep them away from their aggressive competition—NBC, CBS, and Fox.
DC2 is the new building they are constructing in Bristol, CT where the new $125M SportsCenter set will be located for 2014.

So firing more people will also get them more money in the budget for the new SportsCenter set.
Old 05-22-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...espns-layoffs/

If you want to know how much insane money ESPN is spending which is attributed to the layoffs. Read the above Forbes story.

$825M last week for 11 years of US Open rights is the latest.
Old 05-22-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I can't believe what ESPN paid for the US Open tennis rights. That was downright insane IMO. The NFL I can see. The SEC to a lesser extent.
The US Open attracts a much richer viewing demographic that otherwise doesn't watch the rest of ESPN's programming.

Speaking as a hardcore sports fan, I find ESPN almost unwatchable these days except for their 30 for 30 series. They've abandoned traditional sports and barely cover anything they don't directly air. The constant rotation of inexperienced on-air hosts grew tiresome to watch. The clear pecking order of certain sports grew sickening. Why is NFL coverage in May getting top billing over MLB's regular season and the NBA playoffs?
Old 05-22-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I realize that tennis is like golf when it comes to demos (the $825M is overspending even taking that into account), but tennis seems to be fading in popularity in this country (the men's side particularly) and the US Open is conducted directly against the starts of the college and pro football seasons with the middle weekend a dead zone for TV (Labor Day).

Put it another way - I don't think CBS is going to miss it one bit. Now they get to put SEC football on those first couple Saturdays and have a Week 1 NFL DH slot every other year.
Old 05-22-13, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't this the prevalent attitude in many coroprations today? It's not about making money, but making 'enough' money, however that is defined. Although, I'm sure the C-Level execs at Disney/ABC/ESPN will get some nice bonuses.
Old 05-22-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ESPN is something of a relic. The idea of 24 hour sports coverage was unique in 1980, and it allowed a depth that couldn't been reached with the normal sports coverage of the day.

But what we've seen in the last 10 years is the rise of the specific sports channels. If I want in depth baseball coverage, I watch MLB Network. If I want football, there's NFL Network. Most of the major conferences in College have their own networks. Hell, the Yankees and Lakers have their own networks, and the Dodgers will next year.

Without spending all that money on exclusives, ESPN would be dead in the water.
Old 07-08-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

ESPN is still capable of good programming.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9456327
Old 07-08-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
ESPN is something of a relic. The idea of 24 hour sports coverage was unique in 1980, and it allowed a depth that couldn't been reached with the normal sports coverage of the day.

But what we've seen in the last 10 years is the rise of the specific sports channels. If I want in depth baseball coverage, I watch MLB Network. If I want football, there's NFL Network. Most of the major conferences in College have their own networks. Hell, the Yankees and Lakers have their own networks, and the Dodgers will next year.

Without spending all that money on exclusives, ESPN would be dead in the water.
You are 100% correct, is this is why I believe ESPN is more 'sports tabloid' then a 'sports network' these days. They have to cater to the casual sports fan because diehards like us have found other outlets to get our highlights. That is why they overblow every story like Lebron, Favre, Tebow, Jeremy Lin, and the du'jour of last week: Dwight Howard and the constant speculation where he would end up. ESPN to me are no different then MTV these days, as their programming is nothing as to what made them great, and they really are catering to the lowest common denominator these days.
Old 07-08-13, 10:16 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

ESPN is now to sports as MTV is to music.
Old 07-08-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
You are 100% correct, is this is why I believe ESPN is more 'sports tabloid' then a 'sports network' these days. They have to cater to the casual sports fan because diehards like us have found other outlets to get our highlights. That is why they overblow every story like Lebron, Favre, Tebow, Jeremy Lin, and the du'jour of last week: Dwight Howard and the constant speculation where he would end up. ESPN to me are no different then MTV these days, as their programming is nothing as to what made them great, and they really are catering to the lowest common denominator these days.
30 years ago ,a basketball player(Dwight Howard) on an 8th place basketball team leaving for another team would have gotten -zero- media coverage.

Plus the NBA Finals were shown on tape delay.
Old 07-08-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
30 years ago ,a basketball player(Dwight Howard) on an 8th place basketball team leaving for another team would have gotten -zero- media coverage.

This is my problem with ESPN is whatever sport they have the TV contract for, they will make it a bigger story then it really is. Now they are a business, and that's what businesses do, but they never did that stuff back in the 80's/90's as they just reported whatever the sports story of the day.

They do this to Hockey all the time, as they marginalize it to the point where it doesn't exist. And did the same shit to the Big East this year when they knew they would lose the TV contract, as they didn't promote the Big East Tournament like they usually do. I still contend that behind the scenes they sabotaged the Big East knowing they would lose the TV contract, and that is why so many of those programs migrated to the ACC where ESPN has the contract.
Old 07-08-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

What did they do to 'promote' the BET in previous years that they didn't do in 2013? I'm curious since I didn't see any difference in the actual coverage of it and it got a lot of attention in their CBB discussions since L'ville was going for the top overall NCAA seed and it would be the last time Cuse, L'ville, and Pitt participated, Cuse and G'town would meet, etc.

Now do I think they'll do lesser coverage of the Big East on SC and other talking head shows going forward because they don't have those rights? Certainly.
Old 07-08-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
This is my problem with ESPN is whatever sport they have the TV contract for, they will make it a bigger story then it really is. Now they are a business, and that's what businesses do, but they never did that stuff back in the 80's/90's as they just reported whatever the sports story of the day.
Unfortunately, as you say, this is how businesses work. A while back, they were just trying to be a good sports destination. Throw in TV contracts and advertising dollars (and competitors), and you have executives and bean counters looking at everything you do, and now you're making decisions (including big layoffs) for different reasons.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.