Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Would you open your speech with the line "Hey, how are all you Redskins doing?"
Yes 21 37.50%
No 35 62.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-16, 02:01 PM   #501
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Washington Redskins

Obviously a concern of a very small minority of a minority.
Old 05-21-16, 02:06 PM   #502
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
And? Almost every minority concern is from a very small percentage. That's why they are minority concerns.
Old 05-21-16, 02:10 PM   #503
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
To me it's the educated/leadership side of the Native American community who strongly objects to the usage of the term. Basically, the leaders of the organized interest groups. The regular folks don't give a shit. Couldn't care less. They've got bigger issues than the name of a sports team.

The WP editorial page came out against the use of the name a year or 2 ago (and have been very critical of Dan Snyder, beyond his management of the team/results), so I have to think they were surprised by the results of this poll. If they weren't opposed to the name, I really would have questioned the results of this poll.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 05-21-16, 03:14 PM   #504
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
Apparently 56% of the "Natives" polled couldn't identify their tribe.
The poll says they were not "currently enrolled as a member" not that they couldn't name their tribe. But, there was no verification either way.

If you look at the results broken down here you'll find the two groups (members/non-members) were practically identical in their response.

I was going to say I would like more info on how the poll was conducted but the Post beat me to the punch and wrote a full article on it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...8c8_story.html

It looks like this poll was conducted with the criticisms of the 2004 poll in mind.
Old 05-21-16, 03:22 PM   #505
DVD Talk Legend

Robert McCartney is dropping his "protest" of the name due to the results of this poll.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...3e7_story.html
Old 06-19-17, 11:30 AM   #506
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...constitutional

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Monday that a law forbidding official registration of offensive trademarks unconstitutionally limits free speech in a case involving a band called The Slants, an outcome the government has said could lead to a proliferation of racial slurs as sanctioned trademarks.

The court ruled 8-0 in favor of Portland, Oregon-based Asian-American dance rock band The Slants, which had been denied a trademark because the government deemed the name disparaging to people of Asian descent. The band challenged the rejection as a violation of free speech rights under the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment, winning at the appeals court level before the government appealed to the high court.

The ruling is expected to have a direct impact on another high-profile case involving the National Football League's Washington Redskins. The team filed a legal challenge to a 2014 decision by U.S. Patent and Trademark Office tribunal canceling its trademarks as disparaging to Native Americans.

After the government rejected The Slants request, band frontman Simon Tam appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, which in 2015 ruled that the so-called disparagement provision of the 1946 law governing trademarks ran afoul of the Constitution's guarantee of free speech.

Tam has said he chose to call the band The Slants to reclaim a term some consider a derogatory reference to Asian people's eyes, and wear it as a "badge of pride." The band's lawyers have argued that the government cannot use trademark law to impose burdens on free speech to protect listeners from offense.

The federal government, which appealed the appeals court ruling, said in court papers that the government should not be required to approve trademarks "containing crude references to women based on parts of their anatomy; the most repellent racial slurs and white-supremacist slogans; and demeaning illustrations of the prophet Mohammed and other religious figures."

Writing for the court on Monday, Justice Samuel Alito did not mince words in ruling that the trademark provision is unconstitutional. "It offends a bedrock First Amendment principle: Speech may not be banned on the ground that it expresses ideas that offend," Alito wrote.

In the separate Redskins case, a trademark board in 2014 canceled the team's six trademarks at the request of Native American activists on grounds that the team name disparaged Native Americans.

The team's appeal, also on free speech grounds, was put on hold in the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia, pending the outcome of The Slants' case.

Justice Neil Gorsuch joined the court after arguments were heard in the case and did not participate in the decision.
Old 06-19-17, 03:40 PM   #507
DVD Talk Legend

And here I thought we had finally solved the problems plaguing Native American communities by trampling on the rights of others.