Reload this Page >

Hawaii(pro sports team)-ever?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-14-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Whenever there is talk of expansion(MLB,NBA,NFL.NHL) ,Hawaii(Honolulu) never gets mentioned.

Couldn't they outdraw Tampa Bay Rays or Florida Marlins or both combined?

The logistics of having a team in Hawaii might be a problem(especially NBA and NHL).I think they would need to move some home games to California too ease schedule problems.

The idea of being the only game in town would work.

I've read where there is one hockey arena in Hawaii and a larger arena would be needed to house an NBA or NHL team.

Corporate Sponsorship would be the big problem.

An MLB or NFL team would be less of a problem as far as scheduling is concerned. For the most part baseball teams would need to play 6 games instead of the normal 3 game series.
Old 02-14-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 557 Likes on 434 Posts
Re: Hawaii(pro sports team)-ever?

I don't think it would work. The population is relatively small, even in Oahu, and you won't have as many away team fans flying in because of cost. Travel schedule would be brutal (didn't some teams in the WAC complain about the cost as well?). I know it's a glorified exhibition game, but the Pro Bowl is pretty much the only time locals have to see NFL players, and they can't fill Aloha Stadium. I'm also not sure it would increase tourism any, which is the main source of revenue for the state.

I can only think of one ice rink on Oahu and it's very small. Hockey would also be even more out of place there than it is in some of the other cities they're already in.

I don't think the economy is doing all that well there anyway, what with the recession, the lack of jobs, the decline in tourism and the insane prices. Oh, and I suppose they're using a ton of money to needlessly buy a rail system, so no way they take on stadium renovations.
Old 02-14-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Its never gonna happen for one simple reason. Population.

Hawaiians don't even fill Aloha stadium for the Pro Bowl. Also, most residents don't want anything that is gonna clutter up highway 1 even more.

I lived there for 6 years and can't think of a single person who ever liked that idea.
Old 02-14-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

And people complain about how much Seattle teams have to travel. I can't see it happening ever.
Old 02-14-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't baseball MAYBE work? Teams would have to schedule a very long road trip and do some games in California/Seattle, then go over to Honolulu for a 3 or 4 game series and then probably go back to California/Seattle for another 3 or 4 games before returning home. It's roughly a 5 hour flight from Honolulu to LA--not the end of the world, especially if you only have have to do it a couple times per season. The Honolulu home team, however, would be spending a crazy amount of time travelling, unless they went with like month long hometands and month long road trips.
Old 02-14-13, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't see it happening. Too many things working against it.
Old 02-14-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Baseball? They could barely keep the Hawaii Islanders team operational at the time before it folded.

There's reason why not only the Pro Bowl, but the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl doesn't draw a crowd. Costs associated with travel.

Locals don't have the disposable income to attend games. And I don't think there's enough corporate interest willing to shell out that kind of money.
Old 02-15-13, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I live in Hawaii and have been born and raised here. Let me say that I agree with all of the points and I highly doubt we will ever have a relevant pro sports team here. We have had a few "pro" teams here and there but most of them have sadly folded within the first two years of their existence. With our cost of living continuing to skyrocket as well, a pro team could never survive here even if the tickets were dirt cheap
Old 02-15-13, 03:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Whenever there is talk of expansion(MLB,NBA,NFL.NHL) ,Hawaii(Honolulu) never gets mentioned.

Couldn't they outdraw Tampa Bay Rays or Florida Marlins or both combined?
No
Old 02-15-13, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 68 Likes on 51 Posts

The one negative for the East Coast Fanbases, is TV markets would get very low ratings when their teams played in Hawaii. It is a 5 hour time difference from Hawaii to the East Coast, which means a 7PM game Hawaii time wouldn't start til Midnight Eastern Time. Let's just say I rarely stay up for West Coast Games at 10PM Eastern Time, there is no way I will be able to ever watch when my team plays a Hawaii team.
Old 02-15-13, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They could start the games earlier. Back in the 1960s and early 1970s it was the norm for teams to start their night home games at 8pm so the west coast games didn't begin until 11pm but this was before the televised sports revolution.
Old 02-15-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
They could start the games earlier. Back in the 1960s and early 1970s it was the norm for teams to start their night home games at 8pm so the west coast games didn't begin until 11pm but this was before the televised sports revolution.
And then who would attend games during the middle of the workday? You'd only have Sat and Sun games? UH Football already gets no respect, and since leaving the WAC should be glad they're not televised. UH Basketball (during the Maui Invitational) is about the only thing that gets televised. UH Wahine Volleyball might be the other, but they are often shafted when it comes time for the tournament brackets and sites.

It's more plausible for Mexico to host a pro team than Hawaii.
Old 02-15-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
UH Basketball (during the Maui Invitational) is about the only thing that gets televised. UH Wahine Volleyball might be the other, but they are often shafted when it comes time for the tournament brackets and sites.
University Of Hawaii basketball doesn't compete in the Maul Invitational - thats Chaminade. They do host their own tourney though - around Christmas time called the Diamond Head Classic and this season ESPNU basically televised all of the tourney games. (The ones that weren't - were on ESPN3.com) As for University Of Hawaii Volleyball - they only get TV when an episode of Hawaii 5-0 centers around them. LOL! (If your not a fan of Hawaii 5-0 - earlier this season, they had a episode where the coach was murdered in the locker room after a match and McGarrett and crew had to find the killer. Tania Raymonde - Alex on "Lost" - played one of the volleyball players. CBS filmed one of their volleyball matches and used some of it in the episode.)

Last edited by LaxBandit; 02-15-13 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-15-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

hawaii had to come up with their own bowl game, just so their college team would have a place to play on the years they have a winning record...
Old 02-15-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,338 Likes on 828 Posts

Never, ever, ever, ever. Like ever.
Old 02-15-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Ain't happening. Too many issues to overcome as noted in this thread. The best they can hope for is either a)something similar to Toronto and the Bills arrangement where some team plays 2 home games here or b)the yearly London game is moved here. To be honest that wouldn't be such a horrible idea but Goddell for some reason seems hell bent on expanding the NFL in Europe.
Old 02-15-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,338 Likes on 828 Posts

We're still waiting for our first professional sports team in Vegas and we have over double the total metropolitan population of Oahu. And for us, there are none of the travel or lodging accommodation concerns at all.
Old 02-15-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't Las Vegas have a CFL team?
Old 02-15-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Maybe when we get teleporters.
Old 02-15-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
We're still waiting for our first professional sports team in Vegas and we have over double the total metropolitan population of Oahu. And for us, there are none of the travel or lodging accommodation concerns at all.
I've always wondered why LV doesn't have a team.
Old 02-15-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
I've always wondered why LV doesn't have a team.
It's not that hard if you think about it. But then the leagues are so reluctant to admit a big part of their popularity.
Old 02-15-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that gambling is the issue. However, what's the difference?
Old 02-15-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
I know that gambling is the issue. However, what's the difference?
Don't ask me. Ask the leagues.