Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2013 NBA-All Star Weekend thread -- Feb 15-17

Old 02-17-13, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2013 NBA-All Star Weekend thread -- Feb 15-17

Yeah, i'm sure your gym is just as entertaining.
Old 02-17-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least they try. The way these guys are "playing" I'm surprised anyone pays to go watch this horseshit.
Old 02-17-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pretty much the same for any all-star game for one of the professional leagues. I'm generally surprised at how this revelation is so shocking and appalling to you
Old 02-17-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post

First time watching an all-star game I guess? Games are always like this. personally, I think its still the most entertaining All-Star game out of the main sports, because you get a lot of fun passes and dunks.
I'd say baseball is the best, mostly because it eventually boils down to a one-on-one matchup between pitcher and hitter. That makes it the closest approximation to the regular game. I don't know why I still watch the All-Star game; there hasn't really been a memorable one since Magic came back to play in 1993.
Old 02-17-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty much the same for any all-star game for one of the professional leagues. I'm generally surprised at how this revelation is so shocking and appalling to you
It's not shocking. I don't watch the Pro Bowl or the MLB All Star Game. I just happened to catch some of this one and it was surprising how embarrassing it was.
Old 02-17-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'd say baseball is the best, mostly because it eventually boils down to a one-on-one matchup between pitcher and hitter. That makes it the closest approximation to the regular game. I don't know why I still watch the All-Star game; there hasn't really been a memorable one since Magic came back to play in 1993.
It's the closest to the real game, but that's why I said most entertaining. Even in the loose play here you get some fun stuff in the game (like Kobe guarding Lebron just now). Baseball to me just isn't as "fun" in that regard in an all-star game, especially because of interleague play. It was more fun when you saw those unique AL and NL matchups that you never saw during the regular season.

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
It's not shocking. I don't watch the Pro Bowl or the MLB All Star Game. I just happened to catch some of this one and it was surprising how embarrassing it was.
No one is embarrassed by it
Old 02-17-13, 10:32 PM
Banned

Kobe.

Chris Paul should have been a laker. Fuck.
Old 02-17-13, 10:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
You were probably watching when Dwight was on the court.
Old 02-17-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't see this live, but hearing the announcers mentioned Kyrie from the Rising Stars game. It's fun watching guys do flashy stuff like this that you don't get much in regular games.

Old 02-17-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And a second block. Yes, I know it doesn't really mean anything. Was fun to watch down the stretch though.

Poor Chris Bosh.

Last edited by fumanstan; 02-17-13 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-18-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-18-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No one is embarrassed by it
I was
Old 02-18-13, 08:00 PM

Baseball to me just isn't as "fun" in that regard in an all-star game, especially because of interleague play. It was more fun when you saw those unique AL and NL matchups that you never saw during the regular season.
I really don't get why interleague play ruined the allstar game. I mean, teams only play a dozen games or so against the other league, so it's not like you are seeing a lot of matchups of allstar pitcher vs hitter.
Old 02-19-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Kyrie was incredible during all star weekend, but even though his crossover on Knight will get all the replays, he let Knight score on him just as much during his one on one duel.

I'm surprised Lebron didn't post up Kobe all the way to the rim instead of taking those jump shots. Two all star games in a row where Lebron wilts (although hey, it may be two real championships in a row, so I'm sure he doesn't care).

As long as Chris Paul is out there dishing, I'll be watching the all star game, I thought it was entertaining enough. And man the next generation of point guards look like they're going to keep it up (unfortunately a lot of them play no defense and turn it over a lot, but hey, that's perfect for the all star game)