Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Sports Channels You Want, But Don't Have (Either extra cost or Provider issues)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 09-08-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Just thought I would name a few off the top of my head that I don't have, but would like to have:

Time Warner Cable Sportsnet: Los Angeles - New Exclusive Home of the Los Angeles Lakers for all home and road games. They officially launch October 1st and currently only have a deal with Time Warner (Go figure) I have Directv and they currently have no deal right now. I absolutely want this channel.

Pac-12 Network: Currently no deal with Directv. I read on Directv's webpage that they want to charge for this channel ala carte for those who want to buy it and not have to pass the extra cost to the customers who don't want it.

FOX Soccer Plus: Directv charges $14.99 per month extra for this channel. Wouldn't mind the extra UEFA and BPL coverage, but I will pass on paying that much.
Old 09-08-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 787 Likes on 557 Posts
Re: Sports Channels You Want, But Don't Have (Either extra cost or Provider issues)

only Pac-12 network at this point. but i've lived without most of Arizona State's football games on TV in the past, so it's not like I had them and then lost them.
Old 09-08-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Sports Channels You Want, But Don't Have (Either extra cost or Provider issues)

I heard FSN lost the rights to practically all their Pac-12 games/coverage including the Pac-12 basketball tournament to the Pac-12 Network.
Old 09-08-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TWC used to carry Fox Pittsburgh 15 or so years ago, but dropped it for Fox Ohio. The Penguins have since moved to Root Sports. When I got Center Ice, for the longest time, the Pens were blacked out. Even when they started showing them, I still missed a few games and I've had to go out for the past 3 years to see the playoffs on TV.

So, basically whoever shows Pens games (I'm guessing Root is my best option at this point).
Old 09-08-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a hard time believing that Time Warner Sportsnet won't be with all the providers by October. I don't think any of the other providers have deals set yet.

I just lost NBA TV after switching to U-Verse and picking a cheaper tier. It's a bummer, but decided it wasn't worth the extra cost for the higher tier package where there wasn't anything else I was interested in.
Old 09-08-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have cable, but I love the Redzone program. I wish I had it at home.
Old 09-08-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't have the MLB Network. Think it would be $20-30 more a month and it wouldn't add many other channels I'd watch on a regular basis. I'm ok with it, since I wouldn't pay attention to it as much during the offseason and they typically have a free preview for several weeks once a season.
Old 09-08-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nfl network, twc dose not carry it.
Old 09-08-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NFL Network
Speed
Big10 network

Cost is why we don't have these. Can't afford much of anything right now.
Old 09-08-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
I don't have cable, but I love the Redzone program. I wish I had it at home.
Love redzone. Comcast raised the price $2 per month this year but still totally worth it. I don't even watch the other channels the package comes with (NFL network, MLB, etc). But can't live without my redzone on football Sunday's.
Old 09-08-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 787 Likes on 557 Posts

FWIW, Dish Network just got Pac-12 network.
Old 09-08-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

100% NFL Network. Fuck you TWC.
Old 09-08-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sun Network... Dont know if its still called that or not, but Id love to have more emphasis on FL sports.
Old 09-08-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big 10 Network
NFL Network
CBS College Sports Network
ESPN3
Fuel TV
Pac 12 Network
Old 09-08-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Just thought I would name a few off the top of my head that I don't have, but would like to have:

Time Warner Cable Sportsnet: Los Angeles - New Exclusive Home of the Los Angeles Lakers for all home and road games. They officially launch October 1st and currently only have a deal with Time Warner (Go figure) I have Directv and they currently have no deal right now. I absolutely want this channel.

Pac-12 Network: Currently no deal with Directv. I read on Directv's webpage that they want to charge for this channel ala carte for those who want to buy it and not have to pass the extra cost to the customers who don't want it.

FOX Soccer Plus: Directv charges $14.99 per month extra for this channel. Wouldn't mind the extra UEFA and BPL coverage, but I will pass on paying that much.
Will the Laker games be on NBA League Pass?
Old 09-08-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Why would anyone want or pay for FoxSports Soccer channel Plus when Directv has many many soccer channels for free? That would be like paying for NFL games on Fox and watching them for free on CBS.
Old 09-08-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Will the Laker games be on NBA League Pass?
If no deal is reached by October, Time Warner Sportsnet would be blacked out in Lakers coverage territory on NBA League Pass. So no, that's not an option.
Old 09-08-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Why would anyone want or pay for FoxSports Soccer channel Plus when Directv has many many soccer channels for free? That would be like paying for NFL games on Fox and watching them for free on CBS.
Uhhh, not exactly free. All the soccer channels are part of the sports pack.

And I count only 3 channels for now:

FOX Soccer

beIn Sport USA

GOLTV - Directv is dumping this by the end of the month.

When the UEFA Champions Leagie or Europa League is going on the sports pack does provide extended coverge when they have multiple games going on simultaneously at no extra cost.

But I agree about FOX Soccer Plus, I don't get why that has to cost an extra $15 a month and to top it off it isn't even in HD.
Old 09-09-12, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

NFL Network is the only one I can think of.

That being said, I'd hate it if I ever lost MLB Network. It is by far my most watched sports channel, and during baseball season it's my default channel when I'm not watching anything else.
Old 09-09-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably just Pac-12 Network. I have Longhorn, Red Zone, NFL, MLB, NBA, Tennis, NBC Sports, Big10, Yes, CBSSN, etc.
Old 09-09-12, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be great if you were charged just for the channels you want.
Old 09-10-12, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NFL Network would be nice to have, but I don't feel like paying extra for it. Other than that I just wish my Fox Sports SW showed Rangers games over Astros games when they play at the same time. I don't think anybody here wants to watch the Astros.
Old 09-10-12, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 326 Likes on 264 Posts

HRTV

It would be nice to have the national P12N, but it's not that big of a deal to me.
Old 09-10-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Classic Sports.

I used to have it years ago but then it became an extra pay channel. Good stuff on there from time to time.
Old 09-22-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I just read over on Futon Critic that after all these years, Time Warner Cable has finally worked out a deal for NFL Network and NFL RedZone.

NFL Network coming to TWC and BHN

Apparantly, the channels will start showing up tomorrow, with a full deployment done by September 27th. NFL Network will be available on the Digital Basic and Sports Pass tiers, and NFL RedZone will be available to Sports Pass customers.

EDIT: Screw the dates in the article. I'm now watching NFL Network, so if you're on TWC, you might actually have it already. For So Cal, the HD channels are 355 and 356.

Last edited by TheKing; 09-22-12 at 04:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.