Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The September 2012 Pro Wrestling Thread - Night of Surrender

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The September 2012 Pro Wrestling Thread - Night of Surrender

Old 09-11-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The September 2012 Pro Wrestling Thread - Night of Surrender

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Nothing too weird, King looked ok, no awkward bumps. And he looked fine after he changed and was announcing until that moment it went silent.
Gotta disagree. (have not seen a replay at this time, going from memory) Only saw 5-10 minutes of RAW last night, but it was the Lawler match. At the time, I mentioned to my wife that something looked noticeably wrong, or at least VERY not right. I pointed out that he wasn't so much as selling nor just protecting himself, as he was trying to get his orientation and composure and figure out where he was. I said something like "he REALLY looks like craps, hope he's OK......"

Shut it off at that point to eat dinner and didn't even think any more about it, until I read about it this AM.

Last edited by Jobronie; 09-11-12 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-11-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I'm in the same boat as you on that. As a long-time fan, I'm so used to being worked that I have a tough time believing when anything big like this happens. I genuinely hope WWE wouldn't be shitty enough to fake something like this.
I do remember WCW faked Flair having a heart attack in the ring (around 1998-99?) And then Bischoff came out and apologized to his family the way he had treated them all these years hoping Flair was OK. It was all a hoax and it always makes me wonder if this stuff is part of the storyline.

But as someone said, if they didn't show it during the telecast then it is definitely true.
Old 09-11-12, 08:28 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This would probably be a good time to do a Cole face turn if they were ever interested in such a thing.
Old 09-11-12, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
I'm in the same boat as you on that. As a long-time fan, I'm so used to being worked that I have a tough time believing when anything big like this happens. I genuinely hope WWE wouldn't be shitty enough to fake something like this.
Even Vince wouldn't go this far these days, if for no other reason than Linda McMahon's political career would be over if they tried to fake something like this.
Old 09-11-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts

Lawler needs to stay out of the ring from this point, period. I turned it off during the Kane and Bryan tag match, so I didn't start to notice anything.

While I am certain this is not an angle, they had better not try to get Punk more heel heat by having him dis Lawler on air next week. I would like to think Punk has more sense than to do such a thing, but you never know with WWE.
Old 09-11-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

WWE Hall of Famer Jerry Lawler will undergo heart surgery today, according to website of WMC-TV, based out of Memphis.

This morning, WWE issued this brief statement on Lawler's condition:

"We are hopeful Jerry makes a full recovery and returns to WWE in the near future. Our thoughts are with Jerry and his family."
Old 09-11-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 574 Posts

I wasn't watching last night but it's a shame to hear about Lawler. I really hope he pulls through but I'm wondering if he'll be done with WWE now or at least have a greatly reduced schedule.
Old 09-11-12, 12:02 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
While I am certain this is not an angle, they had better not try to get Punk more heel heat by having him dis Lawler on air next week. I would like to think Punk has more sense than to do such a thing, but you never know with WWE.
I had the same thought. Considering they're stopping just short of having Punk come out and kick puppies to turn the fans against him at this point, I sadly wouldn't be *that* surprised. "Jerry Lawler didn't show me respect and look where it got him."
Old 09-11-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

WWE issued the following statement at 12:20 p.m. EST concerning Jerry Lawler's condition on Tuesday morning after suffering a heart attack during Monday's Raw broadcast:

“As of this morning, Jerry 'The King' Lawler is in a cardiac care unit and all his vital signs are stable. WWE will provide additional information as it becomes available. We continue to wish Jerry all the best for a full recovery.”

Lawler's ex-wife, Stacy Carter, stated Tuesday morning via Twitter that he is "heavily sedated" after a stint and balloon was inserted into his heart. Carter added Tuesday afternoon that Lawler did not have open heart surgery.
Old 09-11-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm shocked that this happened to Lawler simply because I have been expecting to hear this news about Flair for the last 10 years or so.
Old 09-11-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I had the same thought. Considering they're stopping just short of having Punk come out and kick puppies to turn the fans against him at this point, I sadly wouldn't be *that* surprised. "Jerry Lawler didn't show me respect and look where it got him."
Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with it, nor do I think Lawler would either. If they could get something positive to come out of this horrible situation, it would be to use it to get more heat on Punk. But that's only if Lawler is out of the woods and on the way to recovery. If he's still fighting for his life, then stay away from it.

But with the PPV on Sunday, the odds are that Punk's focus on RAW next week will be what happens with Cena. But with Hell In The Cell being the next PPV, going personal like that wouldn't be terrible.
Old 09-11-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with it, nor do I think Lawler would either.
Lawler would go to any lengths to get something over. This is a man who allowed himself to get struck by a car on live TV, no stuntman or reshoots. This was years ago, when it was still shocking.

Hopefully Lawler does make it, but it's bittersweet to see such a legendary career end.
Old 09-11-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stacy Carter, the former wife of Jerry Lawler, just made a post, which is consistent with what we've been hearing.

"The docs are removing his ventilation and taking him out of sedation. He is responsive, which is great!!! It took a while to revive him last night so there's the concern of brain damage. He had some tests done which will show how much if any damage there is due to the lack of oxygen to the brain. Unfortunately, the results won't be in until the morning. I appreciate all the calls, texts, tweets and Facebook messages of support and I know Jerry will too."
http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-t...ternoon-update
Old 09-11-12, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a joke she is.

I remember when she was selling houses a few years ago down in Florida and would get infuriated if anyone recognized her and acknowledged she even worked in the wrestling business. Of course then she met another wrestler ....
Old 09-11-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
I'm shocked that this happened to Lawler simply because I have been expecting to hear this news about Flair for the last 10 years or so.
I think worse than that was WWE letting Mae Young and Moolah be active FAAAAAAAAAAAAR past the time they should have hung it up. I remember when the Dudley's put Mae Young through a fucking table at 76! (according to wikipedia). I remember seeing that and thinking that was the dumbest thing WWE allowed on it's are in a very long time. I'm sure they went above the call to protect her, but still.

I know last night's show is overshadowed by Jerry (as it should be), but I do want to say I liked the last promo. Think what you will of Punk's heel turn, but I really do enjoy Punk and Cena interacting, and I think it's very apt to compare their feud to that of Hart and HBK. I really thought Orton was going to be Cena's big career feud, but it looks like it will be Cena and Punk that are going to be defining each other's careers.
Old 09-11-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
What a joke she is.
Are you saying that because you think she's seeking attention thanks to Jerry's condition? Cause while I don't think being in wrestling is anything to be ashamed of, I can see wanting to move on with your life.
Old 09-11-12, 09:06 PM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

Ric Flair on HLN:

<iframe width="416" height="384" src="http://www.hlntv.com/embed/42109" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen scrolling="no"></iframe>
Old 09-12-12, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I gotta agree with what Flair said there. Especially the part about Lawler being better than most of what the WWE has in the ring these days. I mean not so much in ring work, but in terms of character and storytelling.

Maybe he overdid a bit with working all the indy shows he does. Maybe 3 matches in 4 days stretching from the Caribbean to Canada wasn't the best thing for a 62 year old to do. But this could have happened in his sleep after the show and we'd have a much more tragic story to talk about.

I mean look at Savage. He had retired from wrestling, and it got him last year. I remember the night when Vin Scully had to announce before a Dodger game in Montreal (ironically) that Don Drysdale had died in his hotel room. Not to mention that Test, Pillman and Eddie all died in pretty much the same fashion (though for different reasons).

All that being said, Lawler's in ring career should be over now, regardless of how well he recovers. But heart attacks can hit at any time and any age.
Old 09-12-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If Lawler is left with permanent damage from this incident, I wold say it's over for him aside from possibly an appearance to wave at the audience. I just hope they don't try to put this into the storylines. However, knowing Vince he'll try having Lawler and Ross be an announce team of stroke victims. I put nothing past that man.
Old 09-12-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Lawler's CT scan has revealed no brain damage. http://www.wmctv.com/story/19521437/...awler-revealed
Old 09-12-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Outstanding news! Sometimes terrible brain damage seems a worse fate than a quick death.
Old 09-12-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
Are you saying that because you think she's seeking attention thanks to Jerry's condition? Cause while I don't think being in wrestling is anything to be ashamed of, I can see wanting to move on with your life.
I say that because I don't like how she used the man for a very long time to futher herself, left him high and dry even after he quit his WWF job to protest her firing. Lawler's first book is pretty much a testament to how destroyed he was. Granted, he had blinders on but I fully believe she knows what she was doing.

This is the first time I can remember her even referencing his name since the 90s, save for an RF shoot interviews she got paid for.
Old 09-12-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Lawler's CT scan has revealed no brain damage. http://www.wmctv.com/story/19521437/...awler-revealed
Awesome news! JR wrote a great blog about Jerry:

http://www.jrsbarbq.com/blog/jrs-tho...d-montreal-raw

I don't have a problem with Jerry wrestling at his age. He does a lot of indy shows and gets paid quite well. He loves to wrestle and get in the ring. Why deny him his passion because of his age?
Old 09-12-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
If Lawler is left with permanent damage from this incident, I wold say it's over for him aside from possibly an appearance to wave at the audience. I just hope they don't try to put this into the storylines. However, knowing Vince he'll try having Lawler and Ross be an announce team of stroke victims. I put nothing past that man.
I could see that too. Maybe even have one of em have a seizure ala electrocuted Golddust while calling a match.

To Lawler being ok. F4W is reporting he's now talking and laughing

Totally overshadowed of course, but I love the idea of Kane & Bryan as champs, plus Kofi and Truth have had the belts too long anyway.
Old 09-12-12, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad Lawler is doing well. I still think he needs to cut back on the ring work though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.