Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

2012 NHL Offseason - Draft, Free Agency, etc..

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2012 NHL Offseason - Draft, Free Agency, etc..

Old 01-06-13, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 2012 NHL Offseason - Draft, Free Agency, etc..

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Funny, I told myself I wouldn't care if they came back this season but when I saw the news this morning I have to admit, I was happy. I guess I will see when it does start how much I'm into this season.
Your happiness will end when you turn on your tv every Saturday night when HNIC has their endless Toronto vs Ottawa schedule.
Old 01-06-13, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Any mention about realignment? I hope they aren't using the plan the PA rejected in the past. Ottawa vs Toronto 8 times a year is a bad thing. Didn't they remember in the past because fans were complaining because of too many divisional games. It seemed like every Friday night it was Toronto @ Buffalo.
Before they reached agreement, there were rumblings of an Winnipeg/Columbus swap. I haven't read anything that says it was actually addressed in the agreement though. I would think they'll wait until the Phoenix situation is finalized and then look into it.
Old 01-06-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Your happiness will end when you turn on your tv every Saturday night whrn HNIC has their endless Toronto vs Ottawa schedule.
I skip that I do like the late(western) game though usually.

Go Sabres!
Old 01-06-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I skip that I do like the late(western) game though usually.

Go Sabres!
The NHL Network(USA) skips the late game on Saturday night but since in the past,I had NHL Center Ice ,it was never a problem.

Read at another website that there is a rumor that NHL Center Ice might be free this seasin(don't quote me). Did a google search on the matter and came up empty. Maybe he was referring to the free trial period. Anywho,I will call Directv in a few days too see whats going on.
Old 01-06-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

I was not interested either but it will be good to see it again.

Although I'm worried how the layoff has affected the Kings.
Old 01-06-13, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long is the contract? It'll take me a couple years to fully forgive, so I'd like to know if they'll be locked out again by that time before I start the process.
Old 01-06-13, 10:27 AM

Not too surprised they got a deal done in time when facing a real deadline of canceling the entire season.
Old 01-06-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I was not interested either but it will be good to see it again.

Although I'm worried how the layoff has affected the Kings.
I'm happy it's back as well. This league is not getting a cent from me for at least a year though. I didn't renew my season tickets since I knew this was coming. I'm certainly not buying Gamecenter. As an Isles fan maybe I'll shell out for seasons when they get to the Barclays Center, but not before then.

I hope Wang finally gets rid of the circus that is Rick DiPietro with one of the two rumored amnesty buyouts allowed for next summer.
Old 01-06-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to get us warmed up:

Old 01-06-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I won't buy a ticket, even if the Wings come to town, for a good, long while but I am glad hockey is back and I will want to follow my team (who will be, at best, fighting for a playoff spot) so I hope Center Ice is free or discounted. I will completely pass on it if they ask for $140 again.
Old 01-06-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,217 Posts

Originally Posted by solipsta View Post
How long is the contract? It'll take me a couple years to fully forgive, so I'd like to know if they'll be locked out again by that time before I start the process.
It's a 10-year deal.

I'm happy the lockout is over. For those of us like myself who work in freelance sports TV, we rely on jobs like this for our income.

I don't work on Kings or Ducks games here in So. Cal, but now that the lockout is over, the guys who have those jobs can move back to them and I can get the other work they had to take to survive.
Old 01-06-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, thinking about this lockout, sure I was disappointed that hockey wasn't being played, but really, it's not like I was paying for something and not getting it. The greedy dolts in the NHL are the ones that lost millions of dollars from the lockout---I didn't lose a penny. I don't know if it really makes sense for me to be angry at them when it doesn't really affect me that much. Now, if I owned a bar next to the Boston Garden, I might have a slightly different outlook.
Old 01-06-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

I'll believe it's over when the puck drops on game one.
Old 01-06-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Ugh. Anze Kopitar got hurt in Sweden. Three weeks. Blah.
Old 01-07-13, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
.....so I hope Center Ice is free or discounted. I will completely pass on it if they ask for $140 again.
The fine print on Center Ice on my Directv statement mentioned that due to the strike, the price of the plan will be adjusted based on the amount of games scheduled after the lockout is over. Since we've lost a few months already, i'm hoping for 1/2 price and would not mind it being free.
Old 01-07-13, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez View Post
The fine print on Center Ice on my Directv statement mentioned that due to the strike, the price of the plan will be adjusted based on the amount of games scheduled after the lockout is over. Since we've lost a few months already, i'm hoping for 1/2 price and would not mind it being free.
I would be surprised if it were over 100 bucks. During normal times,they were real slow when it came to discounts including the last half of the season.
Old 01-07-13, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I cancelled my season tickets to the Flyers after the 2005 lockout, but it was more of the fact that prices for Season Tickets in general are just too outrageous these days in all sports. Why pay an arm and a leg for Season Tickets when I can buy a few games on StubHub for the Flyers, Phils, Eagles and 76ers each year?

From what I have read the Sponsors really were the ones that told Bettman to get a deal done. If the NHL lost another season, many sponsors were bolting for good from this sport because the lack of stability. Atleast its a 10 year deal (8 year opt-out clause), so we don't have to think about this shit til 2020, but I guarantee Bettman & Fehr will be gone by then, and the next Commissioner and PA Leader will hammer out a deal to avoid this circus again. Baseball has had labor peace since 1995 and the Football has had labor peace since 1987, so it is possible to avoid missing games if the 2 parties understand that the best interest of the sport should always come first.
Old 01-07-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am watching Dennis & Callahan on NESN and a Bruins defensemen Andrew Ference just said that NHL Center Ice should be for free.
Old 01-07-13, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

Good that it's back. I know business owners around the Phone Booth here lost thousands w/o those hockey dates the last 3 months. It will be nice to have that playoff hockey after March Madness ends.

Is there anything about the Olympics in the 10 year deal?
Old 01-07-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

Is there anything about the Olympics in the 10 year deal?
Nothing was negotiated in the CBA, so they will probably decide this summer whether they play in 2014 Olympics.
Old 01-07-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'll look forward to going to the home opener in October. I won't be going to the UC or any other hockey arena before then.

Also need to call DTV tonight and make sure I don't get auto-charged for Center Ice.

I know people are happy it's back but I hope those same people remember they still need to send a message to the owners now, otherwise in 8-10 years it'll be the same thing all over again.
Old 01-07-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I think NBC is going to make sure that the NHL players are in the olympics. It may not be the ideal year as far as time goes, but they love tape delaying anyway. Even though its a pain in the ass to shut down the season for 2 weeks, having hockey be one of the marquee events and the exposure it brings is too good to pass up. A lot of people got caught up in the run team USA made in Vancouver.
Old 01-07-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have to agree - I would miss seeing NHL guys in the Olympics.
Old 01-07-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had WHL hockey to tide me over until the real deal starts.
Old 01-07-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to get us warmed up
He is by far the most skilled player currently in the game. I love watching his highlights

My cousin is an Assistant Coach for the Blue Jackets, so we are very happy to hear that they agreed to the contract.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.