The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Previous thread (Part 8): HERE

Continue discussion.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 02-08-12, 10:02 AM   #2
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit has reportedly agreed to a rematch with Nick Diaz following their close fight Saturday night. While it was initially believed that Condit would wait for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre to get healthy, it appears that he will now rematch the recently “retired” Diaz.

Rumors about the fight spread earlier this evening with UFC President Dana White later confirming via twitter.

Diaz and Condit battled in an extremely close fight that split the MMA community when it came to who won the fight. While this is not too uncommon in a judgement based sport, this fight stood out since those that agreed on who won seem to give each fighter different rounds.

When the bout is signed it will end the brief retirement of Nick Diaz after he expressed his anger about the decision following Saturday’s fight. The fight would also give Diaz a second shot at fighting champion Georges St-Pierre when he comes back from knee surgery.

No timetable was given on when the fight would occur, though it could likely happen during the summer and could possibly headline a traditional Independence Day weekend card.
Old 02-08-12, 10:28 AM   #3
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm, I still think I'd take Condit in the rematch as well.
Old 02-08-12, 10:45 AM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

I could see Diaz acting real goofy in the rematch...either going balls to the wall and attacking like crazy (which you'd think would play into Condit's plan?), or just sitting back and not being aggressive at all to try and make Condit come to him.
Old 02-08-12, 02:19 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So if they split the rematch then what?? Diaz gets to fight St-Pierre? That really isn't fair to Condit then...unless he is guaranteed a shot at the winner of that fight.
Old 02-08-12, 02:34 PM   #6
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit has reportedly agreed to a rematch with Nick Diaz following their close fight Saturday night. While it was initially believed that Condit would wait for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre to get healthy, it appears that he will now rematch the recently “retired” Diaz.

Rumors about the fight spread earlier this evening with UFC President Dana White later confirming via twitter.

Diaz and Condit battled in an extremely close fight that split the MMA community when it came to who won the fight. While this is not too uncommon in a judgement based sport, this fight stood out since those that agreed on who won seem to give each fighter different rounds.

When the bout is signed it will end the brief retirement of Nick Diaz after he expressed his anger about the decision following Saturday’s fight. The fight would also give Diaz a second shot at fighting champion Georges St-Pierre when he comes back from knee surgery.

No timetable was given on when the fight would occur, though it could likely happen during the summer and could possibly headline a traditional Independence Day weekend card.
Everything I've seen says the fight is not happening. Which is fine by me.
Old 02-08-12, 02:39 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As seen in their first fight, anytime Diaz sat back and didn't advance, he got lit up from strikes. Diaz needs to press forward hard, not that mugging-while-hands-down-walk that he predictably does every fight. He has to cut off Condit and press him against the cage. Condit is faster and starts off at a longer range which is why Diaz got kicked so many times; the sooner Diaz can close the distance the better. He just needs to watch out for those flying knees and spinning elbows as he presses fast.

I dunno... Diaz, in my mind, won't adapt his style while Condit will refine what he did. I think we'll see the same outcome, but Condit will do better the second time. Here is the fight metric if anyone wants to examine it.

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/02/...tatistics.html

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 02-08-12, 02:48 PM   #8
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven View Post
Everything I've seen says the fight is not happening. Which is fine by me.
Yeah, Diaz is waffling because he is holding out for more money it seems... Although it is a moot point because Dana is now saying that Diaz may be ineligible to fight due to an "issue" that is not injury related.

It sounds like Diaz will be getting a one year ban for a drug test failure. I imagine Dana will not be happy about that. Imagine if Diaz won, and then had the match turned into a no-contest because of a drug test failure... Dana would have cut him for sure. He still might actually.

"The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." --Carl Sagan
Old 02-08-12, 03:08 PM   #9
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd be perfectly happy never seeing Diaz again.
Old 02-09-12, 10:06 AM   #10
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I think if it is a drug suspension then Diaz is done. He'll be cut immediately.
Old 02-09-12, 05:20 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Diaz has officially failed. What a stupid move on his part.
Old 02-09-12, 06:29 PM   #12
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How does he do this!??! Why!?!?
Michael: When I was five, I imagined that there was such a thing as a unicorn. And this is before I even heard of one or seen one. I just drew a picture of a horse that could fly over rainbows and had a huge spike in its head. I was five, five years old... couldn't even talk yet.

Xbox Live! - Tbird2340
Old 02-09-12, 06:31 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

What a grade a fucking moron.
Old 02-10-12, 10:56 PM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to Lorenzo Fertitta Diaz wont be cut.
Old 02-11-12, 09:31 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mir vs. Cain.. Bring it!! yea!
Old 02-16-12, 03:55 AM   #16
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sanchez/ Ellenberger should have been a 5 round fight. Dana even copped to fucking up at the post fight presser. All main events are 5 rounds now.
Old 02-16-12, 09:50 AM   #17
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would have liked to have seen an extra 2 rounds. Would have been very interesting. Both fighters seemed to have plenty in the tank.
Old 02-16-12, 10:06 AM   #18
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been a big Ellenberger fan for awhile now so I was glad to see him take this. They really need to do Condit-Ellenberger 2 now. I mean, I'm pretty sure Ellenberger actually knocked him out twice during their first fight but getting hit again woke Condit up....so the rematch is bound to be awesome.

As for Diego, he's always in a fight of the night but I'd prefer him at lightweight. He could give some guys trouble down there for sure.
Old 02-17-12, 12:38 AM   #19

Hendo officially turned down Machida.
Old 02-17-12, 09:06 AM   #20
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadm View Post
Hendo officially turned down Machida.
Thats a bad fight for anybody. Machida's lost his last 3 of four fights (technically 4 out of 5). It wouldn't do anything for Hendo to take it.
Old 02-17-12, 09:08 AM   #21
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From Hendo's official Twitter:

"Was never offered machida. And even though he has lost 3 out of his last 4, I'm sure it would be entertaining."
Old 02-19-12, 03:13 AM   #22

Eddie Alvarez vs Shinya Aoki 2 is all but a lock for Bellator 66 April 20th.

Alvarez takes the rematch imo.
Old 02-19-12, 11:38 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anybody know if there's a way to legally stream the Ellenberger / Sanchez bout anywhere?

Last edited by starseed1981; 02-21-12 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-21-12, 09:16 PM   #24
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Nate Marquardt has signed with Strikeforce.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 02-22-12, 09:37 AM   #25
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh wow. Any idea what weight class he'll be at? Wasn't he trying to compete at welterweight?