Reload this Page >

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Old 03-25-20, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Can you please not be a chicken little? So sick of people thinking the world is ending

1) MMA isn't a team sport. Ideally, there's just 2 fighters, 1 ref, 3 judges (who could be viewing remotely), and a couple corner guys for each. You don't need alot of people intermingling to put on an event, hence you can screen for the virus more easily.
2) Dana White is well connected and the UFC has a ton of money. They don't travel commercially, they could arrange private flights for any fighters/employees
3) It would without a doubt be the most purchased PPV of all time, given the number of people who will be stuck at home. More incentive for the UFC to put on the card
4) The fighters WANT to fight. They've been outspoken about it. Even Khabib has said he still wants to fight.

Old 03-25-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Can you please not be a chicken little? So sick of people thinking the world is ending

1) MMA isn't a team sport. Ideally, there's just 2 fighters, 1 ref, 3 judges (who could be viewing remotely), and a couple corner guys for each. You don't need alot of people intermingling to put on an event, hence you can screen for the virus more easily.
2) Dana White is well connected and the UFC has a ton of money. They don't travel commercially, they could arrange private flights for any fighters/employees
3) It would without a doubt be the most purchased PPV of all time, given the number of people who will be stuck at home. More incentive for the UFC to put on the card
4) The fighters WANT to fight. They've been outspoken about it. Even Khabib has said he still wants to fight.
Agree even I would purchase it.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Still think it'll get cancelled. America is collapsing
No it isn't.
Old 03-26-20, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post

Agree to disagree I guess. Also, even if it does somehow happen, I don't think it would even crack the top 25 most purchased PPV's of all time. Between all the people who will be without a job and all the people who may have the virus by then, I don't think an MMA fight is going to capture the nations imagination with so much else going on. Not to mention the fact that Tony Ferguson isn't anywhere close to being enough of a household name to sell more PPV's than Manny/Floyd or Conor/Floyd. I think it would be between Top 9 or 10 UFC PPV at best.

Nice to see you still get bent out of shape when someone has a differing MMA view than you though.
Old 03-26-20, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Agree to disagree I guess. Also, even if it does somehow happen, I don't think it would even crack the top 25 most purchased PPV's of all time. Between all the people who will be without a job and all the people who may have the virus by then, I don't think an MMA fight is going to capture the nations imagination with so much else going on. Not to mention the fact that Tony Ferguson isn't anywhere close to being enough of a household name to sell more PPV's than Manny/Floyd or Conor/Floyd. I think it would be between Top 9 or 10 UFC PPV at best.

Nice to see you still get bent out of shape when someone has a differing MMA view than you though.
Sad to see that you're one of those irrationally scared folks. Grow a backbone

Most of those people will BE FINE. They will have mild flu like symptoms. The key is to not spread it to others and overwhelm the health industry with the relatively few (again, CONTEXT) who will need medical care. Also, what decade do you live in? A lot of people have an internet connection and work off a computer. Because of that, and the stay at home order issued by most cities, there will be alot of bored, still employed people sitting at home that Saturday who otherwise wouldn't be and will buy it out of curiosity. Those people will outnumber the fans who would have otherwise bought the PPV but are now out of a job.

Old 03-26-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

John Jones arrested again
Old 03-26-20, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

"Me am dum."
- John Jones
Old 03-26-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Phodg View Post

This isn't real until Jones throws a cryptic bible verse up on Twitter. Until then, fake news.
Old 03-30-20, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like Khabib is out of the Ferguson fight due to the travel ban. He's stuck in Russia.
Old 03-31-20, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UFC 249 TBA vs. TBA Saturday, April 18 / 10:00 PM EDT VENUE TBD

Main Card
TBA vs. TBA
TBA vs. TBA
TBA vs. TBA
TBA vs. TBA
TBA vs. TBA

biggest UFC ever
Old 04-07-20, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So now were heading towards Enter the Dragon, Mortal Kombat territory

Dana White Securing Private Island for UFC Fights ... 'Fights Every Week'

https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/06/dana-...hts-joe-rogan/
Old 04-07-20, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'll watch if they use it as an opportunity to break the monotony of their events and put the cage on the beach for fights outside during the day, or do a Pride rules event. something.
Old 04-07-20, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Naughty Dana ........ https://www.si.com/mma/2020/04/05/uf...ortion-lawsuit
Old 04-09-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No surprise here UFC 249 is cancelled. Osiris3657 maybe instead of me growing a backbone you should acquire yourself some common sense.
Old 05-08-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm pumped for the card tomorrow, even though I think this is a huge risk for Tony to take.

Old 05-08-20, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jacara Souza has tested positive for Covid 19. Its gonna be an interesting 24 hours.
Old 05-08-20, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both his cornermen tested positive too. Dana White needs to be shitcanned.
Old 05-10-20, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awesome night of fights
Old 05-10-20, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep. Nice job UFC.
Old 05-10-20, 09:28 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Apparently the UFC made all the fighters last night sign a waiver that if they said anything negative about the Covid-19 protocols that the UFC put in place, they would forfeit their entire fight purse.