Reload this Page >

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Old 12-01-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

I think it's a mistake for him to take this fight at ww. It improves Cowboy's odds at the upset, and Conor against any of the elite wrestlers at ww would be a disaster.

Maybe Conor is thinking Cowboy, then Masvidal. I think he could beat both, but again, if he encounters any wrestlers at that weight class he would get destroyed.
Old 12-09-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In case you missed it this weekend...crazy. I do think it was a bad stoppage though. You don't stop a fight just because someone walks away after dropping the other guy. Overeem was never out and got up. Yes, he was rocked and on wobbly legs, but there were 4 seconds left.

Also, a KO of the Year contender in the first fight on Saturday

Old 12-09-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thought I might as well get my picks in for the final PPV of 2019.

Usman/Covington: 50-50 fight IMO. Both are elite wrestlers. Usman is definitely bigger and packs more power, but then again, Lawler had the same advantages over Colby and he got completely shutdown. If Colby can shut down an elite striker like Lawler, how is Usman, who's striking is average, going to do? They both have good gas tanks, but I don't think anyone in the sport has better cardio than Colby. He never stops coming forward and throws a ton of volume while diving for takedowns at the right time. Again, Usman is elite and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he wins, but I'm picking Colby by decision

Holloway/Volkanovski: I feel like we already saw this fight 5 months ago. Volk is essentially Frankie Edgar 2.0, but he does have much more power. He's more dangerous than Frankie, but Holloway toyed with Frankie and the outcome was never in doubt while they were fighting. Holloway is so good at distance management, boxing, and using his size advantage. Cardio is elite, but Volk's is very good too. I don't like how much Holloway relies on his chin and that's a dangerous game to play with Volk. If Volk wins, it'll be by TKO. Can't see him winning a decision. I'll take Holloway by decision.

Nunes/DeRandamie: Nunes is the greatest female fighter ever, enough said. TKO win for her.

Aldo/Moraes: I think Aldo's decision to cut to 135 decision will backfire in the worst way. I see him getting KO'd in the first round. Moraes has arguably the most power of any 135er.

Yan/Faber: Yan is elite. He's #4 in the division now, so it's weird to call him a prospect, but he's only been in the UFC for like 12-15 months and is only 25 or 26. Great boxing, great gas tank, excellent TDD, super tough. Yan is going to send Faber back into retirement.
Old 12-10-19, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

yeah that was fucking gross. Even worse than when it happened to Lawler.

My picks:

Usman
Holloway
Nunes
Moraes
Yan

I'm 50/50 on Aldo/Moraes. I don't know what to expect out of Aldo anymore.

I think Usman is just a little bit better everywhere than Colby. I see it probably 48-47 or 49-46.
Old 12-15-19, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was an incredibly entertaining main event. Not a single takedown attempted by the two "boring" wrestlers. Just trading strikes. It was a very close fight (I would have had it 3-1 Colby going into the 5th, but can't argue 2-2) before the TKO win for Usman. I don't care for Colby's MAGA shtick, but gained newfound respect for him as a fighter. He is elite and his striking has improved alot, and more than anything, he has heart and toughness for days. Fighting 2 rounds with a broken jaw? And continuing to strike instead of attempting to wrestle? (which would have gotten shutdown by Usman anyway). Incredible.

Other thoughts:
-Rogan and DC were horrible tonight. Can't believe they thought Holloway had a chance of winning that decision. Same with Aldo. They claimed he was dominating, which nearly made me spit my drink out. Moraes clearly won 1 and 3.
-Petr Yan is a future champ, I have no doubt about it
-I have no idea if Geoff Neal has TDD, he hasn't had to show it so far in his fights, but he's extremely dangerous on the feet and a potential title challenger (again, if he's able to deal with the wrestling of the higher ranked guys)
Old 12-27-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lol Rampage had to cut weight to make 265 for his Fedor fight.
Old 01-15-20, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The UFC is back this weekend, including Conor.

This is honestly a pretty shitty card (on paper) for Conor's return. The co-main of Holm/Pennington is laughable. How in the world are Greene/Oleynik on the main card?

Conor vs Cowboy: I'd be surprised if Conor doesn't win this. And no, I don't believe Cowboy is a gimme opponent, shot, or taking a dive. All a bunch of non sense. It's just not a good style matchup. Cowboy historically struggles vs southpaw boxers who pressure him, and that describes Conor to a T. That being said, Cowboy is one of the best non champs ever and he has a chance. I'd put the odds at 75-25 in Conor's favor. Cowboy definitely has better cardio, better wrestling and submissions, and his headkicks are a signature of his. Conor better not take him lightly. I think it'll be a 2nd round TKO for Conor.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 01-17-20 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-17-20, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Conor needs to win this. If not he'll be moving dangerously close to Chael Sonnen territory. I think he'll probably take it.
Old 01-17-20, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No interest in this card for me. It's a wrestling-type event IMO. All hype and no substance. I started watching MMA way back when because they didn't do this kind of shit. I have found over the last 5 years or so I watch maybe 25% as much MMA as I used to. It's all about who talks the best fight now and makes a dick of themselves at press conferences. I hope McGregor gets buried, but I don't see it. Cowboy isn't half the fighter he was and the UFC know it. That's why he's fighting him.
Old 01-19-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, even I wasn't expecting it to be that quick. (TWSS). Still, pretty predictable. Cowboy crumbles under heavy pressure

I'd prefer Conor fight Gaethje next, but Masvidal would be OK
Old 01-22-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cowboy has now lost 7 of his last 11 fights, including 5 knockouts. He needs to stop while he can still walk and talk.
Old 02-06-20, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The UFC is in Houston this weekend. I've gone to the past 3 cards that were held here, but am skipping this one. A very weak card for a PPV, at least on paper. The co-main with Shevchenko will be as yawn inducing as the Holly Holm/Pennington fight on the Conor card. Honestly, the co-main is the main reason I decided not to attend.

That being said, I really can't shake the feeling that Reyes will upset Jones. Reyes is the best opponent he'll have faced in years, and unlike DC, is in his athletic prime. Reyes has KO power and great kicks, is a good defensive wrestler, and has the self belief to pull it off as an undefeated fighter. This has shades of Weidman vs Silva 1. The unbeatable GOAT going up against a young, athletic, undefeated upstart.

I predict Reyes to finish Jones before the 3rd.
Old 02-08-20, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope Jones wins, just on the off chance he's serious about his recent claims of fighting at Heavyweight. I wanna see Francis decapitate him.

If Jones does his usual thing where he tries to beat his opponent where THEY'RE good, he'll lose. If he can set up some takedowns and drop some elbows, I think he can win.
Old 02-09-20, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bullshit decision last night, and I'm definitely not the only one who feels that way. Hell, even Dana White said he had 3 rounds for Reyes.
Old 02-10-20, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For me, the only definitive rounds were Round 1 for Reyes and Rounds 4,5 for Jones. I thought 2 and 3 were so close that they could have gone either way. I can't look at those rounds and say either guy definitively WON the round. So I think the decision was fine. I think both rounds could have been scored a draw. I would definitely support a rematch. Especially with no other viable LHW contenders.
Old 02-10-20, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reyes clearly won 1-3. Jones clearly won 4-5. But I also thought Santos had 1,2 and 5 over Jones. I bet Adesanya's confidence is through the roof about a potential match-up now.
Old 03-07-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fun card tonight. I think Adesanya picks Romero apart over the first few rounds and then when Romero is gassed and throwing wild shit to end the fight, he's going to get countered and finished
Old 03-07-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Adesanya
Zhang
Old 03-08-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Welp, that main event was boring as fuck. I blame Romero more than I do Adesanya.

That WMMA fight was genuinely the best WMMA fight ever
Old 03-12-20, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mark my words. Khabib/Tony is going to be cancelled for the 5th time.
Old 03-12-20, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think it gets cancelled...it either happens without any fans in attendance (like the Brazil card this weekend) or gets moved to a safer location. They moved that Jon Jones card last year on a week's notice to another state.
Old 03-23-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-24-20, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still think it'll get cancelled. America is collapsing and April 18th is a long ways away. It's only gonna get worse. Wrestlemania is only April 5th and WWE is taping it tomorrow and the next day. And wrestlers have already dropped off the card. I just don't see it.
Old 03-24-20, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, didn't realize the US was the only place they could hold it come on dude, there PLENTY of other countries the UFC could go to. My bet is on one of the wealthy Arab countries: Qatar or the UAE
Old 03-24-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wasn't referring to an American venue location. (Even though Florida is rumored to be where the event might take place. https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/...is-still-a-go/)

I was more referring to the fact that the USA is the main source of PPV revenue for the UFC. Between the economy collapsing and the rate that the virus is spreading in America, by April 18th I don't think a sports PPV will be feasible. Also, by April 18th I think enough fighters, trainers and UFC personnel on the 249 card will have it that everyone else will have to quarantine. I want to see the fight more than any other MMA fight on the planet. I'm just being realistic about it and where things are headed. 25 days is a long time. I don't think the card makes it until then. Just my opinion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.