Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Old 07-07-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Yea, I also had Santos 1,2, and 5 and it was obvious he was clearly fighting on one leg. Has it been released what happened to him? I'd be OK with a rematch since there isn't an immediate #1 guy, but I've got a feeling the UFC is hoping DC wins next month and they can do Jones/DC III at HW at the end of the year.
Glad Nunes won, and it was great that she finished Holly the same way Holly beat Ronda. Holly's an average fighter at best who has been overhyped because of the Ronda win.
Holy shit that Masvidal KO. Sat there stunned. But then I was thinking, really Ben, immediately diving for the takedown? I'm honestly surprised it hasn't before to a pure wrestler, they are so predictable. Knees and uppercuts.
Rockhold should retire, he just can't take a punch anymore.
Glad Song Yadong and Arnold Allen made me look good, helps with the wrong picks of Askren, Rockhold, and Sanchez.
Old 07-07-19, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Holy shit that Masvidal KO.
He stole my move!

Old 07-07-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Guess Rockhold's extra brain fluid didn't help.
Old 07-07-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by William Fuld View Post
Guess Rockhold's extra brain fluid didn't help.
Fuck off, there's plenty of examples of fighters going up a weight class who demonstrate a better chin and durability due to not being as dehydrated. Hell, two are champs right now. Dustin Poirier was chinny as a featherweight but has looked great at lightweight. Robert Whittaker was a welterweight the first half of his career and he was finished by Wonderboy (his fists, no kick)...yet he has won 9 in a row at a higher weight class with bigger punchers. It's pretty evident that Rockhold just doesn't have a good chin in general.
Old 07-08-19, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

to be fair his jaw did get broken during the fight
Old 07-18-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Justin Gaethje vs Cowboy Cerrone has been booked for Sept 14th. Main event.

Can't wait, should be a hell of a fight...but I got Gaethje. His style has always been Cerrone's weakness (pressure boxers). Then again, Gaethje is hittable and if Cowboy can weather the storm, he could eventually catch him with his signature headkick.
Old 08-03-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As I expected, Colby won a decision against Lawler, but I didn't expect it to be THAT dominant. He clearly won all 5 rounds. 18 takedowns and threw over 500 strikes. Colby vs Usman in November is now a lock.
Old 08-13-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of the biggest cards of the year is this Saturday. My predictions:

Cormier vs Miocic: I thought Miocic would win the 1st time around, and even though he lost, I'm doubling down on Stipe. I thought he looked good and had the edge on the feet until the blatant eye poke by DC. I also think that since DC beat him quickly the first time, and that he is likely deflated he didn't get the big money Brock fight he wanted badly, that he'll overestimate Stipe. Meanwhile, I think Stipe wants to avenge this loss more than any other. DC is an all time great, so it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see him win again, but I think Stipe's physical advantages and desire to get the belt back will lead him to the win
Diaz vs Pettis: I keep flip flopping on this fight. On one hand, Pettis is one of the best kickers in the business, and the Diaz bros are notorious for not checking/defending kicks, so that could lead to Diaz's downfall. On the other hand, Pettis is very inconsistent and if he can't finish the incredibly durable Diaz, he probably loses. Oh, and Diaz hasn't fought in 3 years, there's that. Fuck it, I'll say Diaz.
Costa vs Romero: This is going to be violent. Can't wait. Costa is the young, hungry undefeated wildman vs a 42 year old Romero. Romero is incredibly dangerous, and he seems impossible to finish despite him having a below average gas tank. One of the best chins in the business. I think Costa is one of the very few who can match Romero in the power department. I think age finally catches up to Romero and he gets finished for the first time in his career.

Other picks: Sandhagen over Assuncao, Heinisch over Brunson. Two hungry young prospects vs two veterans who have likely reached their ceilings. Also picking Bermudez and Smith in their fights, two more young, talented prospects.

I'm expecting alot of breakout performances from young guys over the established veterans. The flag will be passed to this new generation of fighters.
Old 08-13-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a lapsed MMA fan, I looked at it and thought "meh. only two good fights." but i guess those are the only two with recognizable names to a casual.
Old 08-14-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hope DC wins (both because I'm a fan and because I wanna see Jones/DC 3 and a Stipe win would likely lead to a rubber match), but I'm unsure. I can't make a pick. Then I'm gonna say Pettis and Yoel. I don't know Sandhagen and Heinisch well enough to make predictions, but I'm always pulling for Assuncao. Should be a great card.
Old 08-14-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have doubts about a Jones/DC 3 ever happening. DC ain't moving back down at this point and Jon as recently as 2 days ago insisted he will never move up to heavyweight and never seriously considered it so I don't think the 3rd fight ever happens. He wants no part of fighting DC at heavyweight and I am sure the same is true for DC and fighting JJ at LHW. The only chance DC has is at heavyweight where he has more power and is not suffering from the brutal weight cuts. Likewise JJ said adding a bunch of muscle is pointless, yet he seems to forget he walks around at heavyweight anyway, he just wouldn't need to do a weight cut.
Old 08-14-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I agree with just about every point you make, I think money negates all of it. Jones/DC is still a huge money fight (the biggest at LHW or HW), and if the right amount of zeros are at the end of the check, I think the UFC would find a way to make it happen.
Old 08-18-19, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bow to me, called Stipe, Nate, and Costa winning (all underdog picks). Bragging aside, congrats to Stipe for getting the belt back. He was definitely losing, possibly down 3-0 in rounds before the 4th round finish. Great adjustment with the body shots. Nate looked great, and I love the callout of Masvidal. That would be a crazy scrap. And Costa is a monster. The first guy to ever drop Romero.
Old 08-29-19, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BJ Penn just lost his bare knuckle boxing debut.
Old 09-01-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

6 days until Khabib/Poirier.

I'm seriously not making this pick to be a contrarian, or to look smart if it happens to be the right pick, but I genuinely believe Poirier can (and will) beat Khabib. I give Khabib all the respect in the world. He's legit, he's elite, but I think Poirier is the most well rounded opponent in his prime he will have faced. Poirier has good boxing, as much power as anyone in the division, is durable and has a good gas tank, and even has an underrated ground game. He can snatch a number of different submissions if the opportunity presents itself.
Rooting for Felder to beat Barboza in their rematch, but not sure if it'll happen.
Another upset that wouldn't shock me is Davi Ramos beating Islam Machakaev. Islam is Khabib's buddy and essentially has the same type of game as Khabib, but Ramos is as elite a grappler as you can find. He won't mind going to the ground. Also excited to see Mairbek Taisumov back, one of the dark horses in the LW division. Wish he could get his visa issues figured out so he can fight in the US.

Last edited by Osiris3657; 09-02-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-07-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, that went the the way most people expected. There were two occasions where it looked liked Dustin had him in precarious situations. He stung him with a clean left that had Khabib running backwards, but the followup punches didn't hurt Khabib. And in the 3rd, Dustin had a pretty good guillotine choke locked in, but Khabib managed to wriggle out of it.

Oh well, I hope Tony Ferguson finally gets to fight Khabib now.
Old 09-10-19, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If Khabib fights Ferguson and wins and then fights GSP, that fight would be for nothing less than who is the greatest of all time.