Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Old 02-06-19, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

I'd really like to see Aldo/Ortega. Hopefully Volkanovski gets the next crack at Max. Although I wouldn't mind Frankie getting it either.
Old 02-07-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aldo keeps saying he just wants to fight out his contract and retire, he's not interested in the belt, so I wouldn't put him against anymore contenders at 145. Give him a couple fun fights at 155 and call it a career.
I'd give Frankie one last shot at the 145 belt, since he and Max were signed to fight on two different occasions and it fell through, plus Frankie is 36. Volk can wait, maybe study how Frankie does against Max since they are essentially the same type of fighter (short wrestlers).

For this coming weekend, I've got Whittaker and Adesanya. I'd be shocked if Stylebender lost, but not as much Whittaker...not because I think Whittaker is overrated or anything like that, but because Gastelum has some mean hands. He seems to drop and finish everyone. Hell even in the fight he lost against Weidman, he dropped him and was on the verge of finishing until Chris made it to the end of the round.
Old 02-08-19, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Aldo keeps saying he just wants to fight out his contract and retire, he's not interested in the belt, so I wouldn't put him against anymore contenders at 145.
In November Aldo said that he wants to be the champion again and to fight the winner or Ortega/Max and that he especially wants to fight Ortega because he's never fought him before.
Old 02-08-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
In November Aldo said that he wants to be the champion again and to fight the winner or Ortega/Max and that he especially wants to fight Ortega because he's never fought him before.
Keyword November. It's now February man. Read his latest comments Jose Aldo not changing his mind on retiring in 2019
Old 02-09-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jesus fucking Christ!!!!!! Everyone made weight yesterday without issue, but Whittaker pulled out a couple hours ago because of an abdominal hernia that showed up overnight.
Old 02-09-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol, they're going to take a bath on this one. having to give refunds to the ticket buyers who want one, and i can't imagine many people will spring for the ppv now. it was a fight night card even with the main event, and now it's on the level of a fight pass exclusive.
Old 02-14-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have no idea who to pick between Cain and Ngannou for this weekend's main event. I could see both winning...Cain via lopsided GnP or Ngannou via monster 1st round KO. No clue which is more likely to happen.
I hope Felder beats Vick in the co-main. Really interested to see how this Kron Gracie guy fares against Caceres. I appreciate good Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, so I hope we see a slick submission. My favorite fighter on this card is Vicente Luque, but his opponent Barbarena is no slouch and tough as nails. Hoping Luque wins but Barbarena winning wouldn't surprise me.
Old 02-17-19, 10:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Did Anik just call Cain possibly the greatest HW in MMA history?

And Cain may as well call it a career.
Old 02-18-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those in the know more than I am... why in the living Christ is ESPN showing prime events on a Sunday night? Is this ESPN being ESPN or is this a one-off event to try and compete with the NBA All Star game? I hate that ESPN now owns this sport's rights.
Old 02-18-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing to do with ESPN. The UFC has had a fight on the Sunday before President's Day for a few years now.
Old 02-19-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know we're only 6 weeks into the new year, but we already have a strong contender for fight of the year. Luque vs Barbarena was an absolute banger. 300 combined strikes landed between the two over nearly 15 minutes. Jesus.
Old 02-23-19, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The UFC officially announced a Lightweight interim title fight between Dustin Poirier and Max Holloway for UFC236 in April. Ferguson was initially offered the fight vs Holloway, but turned it down. He will only fight for the undisputed belt. The UFC also set this up since Khabib, even though he could fight in April, is holding out until November because his teammates are suspended for 12 months (eligible to return in October)
Old 02-24-19, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keyword November. It's now February man. Read his latest comments Jose Aldo not changing his mind on retiring in 2019

Well in November his plan was still to retire in 2019. He just called out Volkanovski. With Max moving up to LW maybe Jose can go out on top. He said he's open to LW fights too, but I hope that doesn't happen. I can't think of a fight that makes sense.
Old 02-24-19, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The UFC officially announced a Lightweight interim title fight between Dustin Poirier and Max Holloway for UFC236 in April. Ferguson was initially offered the fight vs Holloway, but turned it down. He will only fight for the undisputed belt. The UFC also set this up since Khabib, even though he could fight in April, is holding out until November because his teammates are suspended for 12 months (eligible to return in October)
I really don't know what I'd rather see. Max/Ferguson or Khabib/Ferguson. They're my 2 most desired MMA fights right now. With 3 and 4 being DC/Ngannou and Ngannou/Rumble 3.0
Old 02-24-19, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Did Anik just call Cain possibly the greatest HW in MMA history?

And Cain may as well call it a career.
I don't know where I'd place him. Destroying Prime JDS twice as well as roided up Bigfoot twice and roided up 300 lbs Brock is pretty damn impressive. I'd put him behind Fedor and Cro Cop, but ahead of DC and Stipe. Big Nog is too tough to call.
Old 02-28-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My picks for this weekend's PPV.

Garbrandt vs Munhoz: I think Munhoz is a really underrated fighter who's on a nice run, and it's easy to look down on Garbrandt since he's been TKO'd in back to back fights, but I think Garbrandt gets back into the win column. Munhoz is one of those "take one to give one" style strikers and that's not going to end well against arguably the hardest hitter at bantamweight.

Lawler vs Askren: I think Lawler is done. 36 and been in a ton of wars, not to mention coming off a 14 month layoff due to a torn ACL. I expect Askren to take Robbie down and hold him there all 3 rounds.

Woodley vs Usman: Usman is a copy of Woodley, in terms of their fighting style, except he's bigger. I genuinely think he could upset Woodley. Woodley keeps proving the doubters wrong though...I'll go with the upset pick and say there's a new welterweight champ on Saturday.

Jones vs Smith: I really really really want to see Smith pull this off. I think he has a slight chance if he maintains his aggressiveness and pressures Jones. If he fights conservatively he's going to get picked apart. Again, I'll be rooting hard for Smith, but I'll say Jones wins by TKO.

Zabit vs Stephens: Zabit is probably my favorite prospect and I see this being his coming out party. I predict a submission win for him, even though I'm a fan of Stephens and generally root for him.
Old 03-02-19, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jon Jones
Tyron Woodley
Ben Askren
Cody Garbrandt
Zabit Magomedsharipov
Mickey Gall

Really hoping Woodley loses, Askren wins and Diego Sanchez retires after Gall murks him.

I think Jones beats Smith wherever the fight goes, however he wants.

Pretty good card tomorrow.

Also Cro Cop suffered a stroke and has retired for what he says is 100% official. He's the second best HW ever imo. Godspeed Mirko.
Old 03-03-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow I was way off on Sanchez. I really hope Askren/Lawler gets rebooked, it was a hell of a fight until the bad stoppage. That slam was epic. I thought for sure Askren was gonna get stopped. Loved the Usman/Woodley fight. Just total domination. Plus he cut a great baby face promo with Joe after the fight. I think Usman might hold onto the belt for awhile. Welterweight just got interesting again for me. Sucks that Rory isn't around anymore though. That Jones fight was fucking awful, I feel like had he put on the gas just a liiiittle bit, he could have finished Smith. No matter what Jones does, whenever he tries to be humble when he speaks, he can't help sounding like a serial killer.
Old 03-05-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got a nice ego boost that my prediction of Usman would upset Woodley came true. I did not however expect him to so thoroughly dominant Woodley. Honestly could argue that was a 50-40, all 10-8 rounds. Woodley did absolutely nothing but survive.
Speaking of doing nothing but surviving, I'm really annoyed with Anthony Smith. All this talk all week about not being intimidated by Jones, that he would win or die trying, go out on his shield, blah blah...what a bunch of crap. Smith didn't even try to mount any offense, just let Jones beat him up for 25 minutes. I hope Thiago Santos, who like Smith is normally an aggressive fighter who has the "kill or be killed" mentality, does not put on the same kind of performance.
Old 03-11-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tsk tsk. You should always ask for permission to take a photo

Conor McGregor has been arrested again ... this time for allegedly smashing the phone of a fan outside the Fontainebleau hotel in Miami Beach.

According to the police report, obtained by TMZ Sports, at around 5 AM Monday, the owner of the phone was walking out of the hotel at the same time as Conor and as the fan attempted to take a photo, Conor slapped the victim's phone out of his hand, causing it to fall to the ground. McGregor then allegedly stomped on the phone several times, damaging it.

According to cops, McGregor then picked up the phone and walked away with it.

It appears the incident was captured on surveillance video.

He's been booked for robbery/strong-arm and criminal mischief over $1,000. He is currently being held on $12,500 bail.

Old 03-12-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ben Rothwell IMHO was straight up robbed at UFC Fight Night 145 on ESPN+. He was the aggressor all fight and threw more punches that landed. Blagoy Ivanov basically ran away the whole fight.
Old 03-18-19, 03:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

ESPN is becoming the exclusive PPV distributor of UFC PPVs, which means you have to be a paying subscriber of ESPN+ in addition to the normal PPV fee to watch.
Old 03-18-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ESPN is becoming the exclusive PPV distributor of UFC PPVs, which means you have to be a paying subscriber of ESPN+ in addition to the normal PPV fee to watch.
To be that out of touch with reality is insane. They should've went to the WWE Network model a long time ago.
Old 03-18-19, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes! Putting the customer first: It has never been easier to not buy a UFC PPV.
Old 03-20-19, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like Conor is trying to drum up interest in a Nate trilogy bout.

Man, LW is in shambles. Khabib is suspended and isn't gonna fight until the end of the year. Conor can't stay out of trouble and is basically only interested in circus fights. Ferguson is in the middle of what seems to be a very serious battle with mental illness. . Who knows what Max's plans are. Is he gonna give up a real title for an interim belt? Doesn't seem likely. Al Iaquinta and Dustin Poirer seem to be the only 2 stable guys in the division.

In the past few months WW has really upped its game. Its the premier division in the sport right now IMO.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.