Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Old 02-06-19, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

I'd really like to see Aldo/Ortega. Hopefully Volkanovski gets the next crack at Max. Although I wouldn't mind Frankie getting it either.
Old 02-07-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aldo keeps saying he just wants to fight out his contract and retire, he's not interested in the belt, so I wouldn't put him against anymore contenders at 145. Give him a couple fun fights at 155 and call it a career.
I'd give Frankie one last shot at the 145 belt, since he and Max were signed to fight on two different occasions and it fell through, plus Frankie is 36. Volk can wait, maybe study how Frankie does against Max since they are essentially the same type of fighter (short wrestlers).

For this coming weekend, I've got Whittaker and Adesanya. I'd be shocked if Stylebender lost, but not as much Whittaker...not because I think Whittaker is overrated or anything like that, but because Gastelum has some mean hands. He seems to drop and finish everyone. Hell even in the fight he lost against Weidman, he dropped him and was on the verge of finishing until Chris made it to the end of the round.
Old 02-08-19, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Aldo keeps saying he just wants to fight out his contract and retire, he's not interested in the belt, so I wouldn't put him against anymore contenders at 145.
In November Aldo said that he wants to be the champion again and to fight the winner or Ortega/Max and that he especially wants to fight Ortega because he's never fought him before.
Old 02-08-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
In November Aldo said that he wants to be the champion again and to fight the winner or Ortega/Max and that he especially wants to fight Ortega because he's never fought him before.
Keyword November. It's now February man. Read his latest comments Jose Aldo not changing his mind on retiring in 2019
Old 02-09-19, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jesus fucking Christ!!!!!! Everyone made weight yesterday without issue, but Whittaker pulled out a couple hours ago because of an abdominal hernia that showed up overnight.
Old 02-09-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol, they're going to take a bath on this one. having to give refunds to the ticket buyers who want one, and i can't imagine many people will spring for the ppv now. it was a fight night card even with the main event, and now it's on the level of a fight pass exclusive.
Old 02-14-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have no idea who to pick between Cain and Ngannou for this weekend's main event. I could see both winning...Cain via lopsided GnP or Ngannou via monster 1st round KO. No clue which is more likely to happen.
I hope Felder beats Vick in the co-main. Really interested to see how this Kron Gracie guy fares against Caceres. I appreciate good Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, so I hope we see a slick submission. My favorite fighter on this card is Vicente Luque, but his opponent Barbarena is no slouch and tough as nails. Hoping Luque wins but Barbarena winning wouldn't surprise me.
Old 02-17-19, 11:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Did Anik just call Cain possibly the greatest HW in MMA history?

And Cain may as well call it a career.
Old 02-18-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those in the know more than I am... why in the living Christ is ESPN showing prime events on a Sunday night? Is this ESPN being ESPN or is this a one-off event to try and compete with the NBA All Star game? I hate that ESPN now owns this sport's rights.
Old 02-18-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing to do with ESPN. The UFC has had a fight on the Sunday before President's Day for a few years now.
Old 02-19-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know we're only 6 weeks into the new year, but we already have a strong contender for fight of the year. Luque vs Barbarena was an absolute banger. 300 combined strikes landed between the two over nearly 15 minutes. Jesus.