Reload this Page >

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

Old 08-24-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Official MMA Thread - Part IX

It was announced last night that Ferguson will be back and fighting on the Conor/Khabib card in October. His opponent is Anthony Pettis. That should be a fun scrap. Honestly, out of all 3 guys, I think Ferguson should be (and is, in my eyes) the true LW champ. 10 fight winning streak, mostly finishes, against alot of good fighters (Lee, Barboza, Dos Anjos, etc).

And there's no question that he's the official replacement fighter if one of Khabib or Conor pulls out.
Old 08-24-18, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh and I've got Gaethje over Vick tomorrow night. I think the unrelenting pressure and his brutal leg kicks against Vick's chicken legs will be devastating. Alvarez and Poirier, even though they won, could barely walk after their fights with Gaethje, and he's TKO'd a couple guys in the past because they couldn't stand anymore.
Old 08-27-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I can't remember the last UFC event I have watched. This sport has basically become dead to me.
Old 08-27-18, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sadly I am finding it tougher and tougher to get excited about events as well. Currently there are maybe a couple dozen guys I look forward to watching, and they are spread so thin and fight so infrequently that rarely are more than one or two on any given card and just as often there aren’t any.
Old 08-27-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I can't remember the last UFC event I have watched. This sport has basically become dead to me.
same. There started being too many events with fighters I didnt care about and the fights I wanted to see kept getting cancelled due to guys hurting themselves in practice.
Old 08-27-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've become very bored watching events. I'm just not that excited anymore. Not sure why that is. I guess names aren't the names of yesterday? I know sports evolves and athletes come and go, but the excitement is not what it was for me.
Old 08-27-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The reason I stopped watching boxing and moved to MMA all those years ago was that in boxing you almost never got a #1 vs. #2 fight. They'd avoid each other until they were both past their best. And the UFC didn't do that - if you were #1 you pretty much had to fight #2.
But the last few years the UFC got away from that. Now you fight the person who talks the most. Fighters end up calling each other out, so you get #2 fighting a #10 because the #10 talked shit about the #2.
Old 08-27-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's true to. It's whoever talks the most shit and can bring the WWE vibe.
Old 08-27-18, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I still watch most events. But the cards aren't stacked as often as they used to be. Plus Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight have been declining big time for awhile now. At their best they should be your top 2 most exciting divisions.

Also WMMA has spread itself way to thin. The UFC has built less than 10 elite marketable fighters over 4 divisions. I like WMMA but 4 divisions is too much when there isn't enough talent and divisions haven't been built strong enough yet.

Also the UFC is far from being the promotion that bought out the talent of Strikeforce and Pride. There's just no excuse for letting guys like Mousasi, Macdonald, Davis, Bader, Henderson, Shields, Fitch etc go.

Doping, injuries, WMMA, losing talent have all contributed to a waning interest for me. But I won't stop watching. There's still enough to keep me interested.
Old 08-30-18, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

November 24 were gonna play it back one more time. Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz.

I think Tito fucks Chuck up this time around and possibly even kills him.
Old 08-30-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Liddell and Ortiz's primes were before my interest in MMA, so the 3rd fight offers nothing for me.
Old 08-30-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to love watching them both fight, but there's no way I'm paying to watch them fight now.
Old 08-31-18, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't not watch it. Something inside me yearns for this fight. I'll probably catch it at a pub.
Old 09-02-18, 01:58 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Same here.
Old 09-07-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm shocked, Till actually made championship weight (169) after blatantly missing weight in 2 of his last 4 fights. Title fight is on.

The WMMA title fight is cancelled though, the champ was sent to the hospital this morning for weight cut complications. Shevchenko will have to wait alittle longer to wear a gold belt
Old 09-07-18, 04:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
The WMMA title fight is cancelled though, the champ was sent to the hospital this morning for weight cut complications.
Cancelled fights (missing weight, failed drug tests, injuries) is another big reason I pretty much stopped caring about MMA.
Old 09-07-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a legitimate reason for losing interest
Old 09-09-18, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was impressive what Woodley did to Till. Never understood the hate he gets.
Old 09-09-18, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here. I was trying to figure out why I stopped watching and I think I have a couple of reasons why:

1. Lack of star power: The UFC today is having the problem that WWE had in the early 90's and late 2000's. The "stars" that have stepped up today can't compete with the likes of Liddel, Couture, Franklin, Hughes, Griffin, Silva, Sonnen etc. Now you have McGreggor(who never fights mostly) and Holly Holm and thats basically it. Maybe Cormier is on there, and Jones would have if he didn't fuck up so much. You know Dana is desperately hoping for Lesnar to come back and wishes CM Punk could have held his own.

2. Too many events with not enough quality fights on them.

3. Fights seems to always get canceled at the last minute, sometimes the day of the fight and on one wants to step in.

4. The best aren't fighting anymore. It used to be that #1 would always have to fight #2. Now number one can avoid #2 and say he will only fight #10 or try and get an easier fight to stay on top longer. Basically now the inmates run the asylum and the stuff that helped kill boxing is killing the UFC.

5.WMMA. Like someone else said, WMMA is spread too thin with too many divisions. Really, the only star of WMMA you have is Holm. Rousey getting embarrassed killed that division, Holm losing to Tate, and then Tate losing to Nunes put the dirt on the grave since Tate and Holm are way more marketable. Vanzant never stepped up into being a bigger star, Valentina's fights are boring, Joanna tried to sell her fights but people just did not buy her trash talking. Don't get me started on the championship situation. Cyborg is champion of the cyborgweight division and is doing nothing more than beating up smaller women. Germaine dropped the title to avoid Cyborg, Nunes withdrew on fight day because of a migraine(granted no one outside her immediate family gives a shit about her) another title fight was cancelled on fight day. This just makes WMMA look like a joke. I mean, could you imagine what would have happened if when Hollyfield was to fight Tyson, Tyson withdrew on fight night because he had a migraine?

6. Dana White. Dana helped to grow this sport like no one thought possible, but Dana is also holding the sport back from being taken completely seriously like it could be with how he acts.
Old 09-09-18, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Woodley vs Rory 2 is the only welterweight fight that really interests me, they are the 2 best WW's in the world. Shame it'll likely never happen.
Old 09-09-18, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
Same here. I was trying to figure out why I stopped watching and I think I have a couple of reasons why:

1. Lack of star power: The UFC today is having the problem that WWE had in the early 90's and late 2000's. The "stars" that have stepped up today can't compete with the likes of Liddel, Couture, Franklin, Hughes, Griffin, Silva, Sonnen etc. Now you have McGreggor(who never fights mostly) and Holly Holm and thats basically it. Maybe Cormier is on there, and Jones would have if he didn't fuck up so much. You know Dana is desperately hoping for Lesnar to come back and wishes CM Punk could have held his own.

2. Too many events with not enough quality fights on them.

3. Fights seems to always get canceled at the last minute, sometimes the day of the fight and on one wants to step in.

4. The best aren't fighting anymore. It used to be that #1 would always have to fight #2. Now number one can avoid #2 and say he will only fight #10 or try and get an easier fight to stay on top longer. Basically now the inmates run the asylum and the stuff that helped kill boxing is killing the UFC.

5.WMMA. Like someone else said, WMMA is spread too thin with too many divisions. Really, the only star of WMMA you have is Holm. Rousey getting embarrassed killed that division, Holm losing to Tate, and then Tate losing to Nunes put the dirt on the grave since Tate and Holm are way more marketable. Vanzant never stepped up into being a bigger star, Valentina's fights are boring, Joanna tried to sell her fights but people just did not buy her trash talking. Don't get me started on the championship situation. Cyborg is champion of the cyborgweight division and is doing nothing more than beating up smaller women. Germaine dropped the title to avoid Cyborg, Nunes withdrew on fight day because of a migraine(granted no one outside her immediate family gives a shit about her) another title fight was cancelled on fight day. This just makes WMMA look like a joke. I mean, could you imagine what would have happened if when Hollyfield was to fight Tyson, Tyson withdrew on fight night because he had a migraine?

6. Dana White. Dana helped to grow this sport like no one thought possible, but Dana is also holding the sport back from being taken completely seriously like it could be with how he acts.
Add to that the fact that the UFC has let some of the best talent in the world walk away over the years. Rory Macdonald, Gegard Mousasi, Ryan Bader, Phil Davis, Benson Henderson, Jake Shields, Jon Fitch etc. All those guys were Top 5 or better when they got cut or signed somewhere else. Thats bullshit if you call yourself the premier MMA organization in the world
Old 09-09-18, 01:28 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post

The Reebok deal was a big cause of that. A lot of fighters would lose a pretty significant amount of money if they went from what champs were paid to what a regular fighter made.
Old 09-15-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Woodley vs Rory 2 is the only welterweight fight that really interests me, they are the 2 best WW's in the world. Shame it'll likely never happen.
I dont think Rory has looked all that great since that second Lawler fight. Nowadays he seems to take a lot of punishment from guys that in the past he would have steamrolled. If were making dream matchups I want to see GSP vs Woodley. But GSP doesn't seem to want any part of that fight.
Old 09-17-18, 11:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Dana just tweeted that Kid Yamamoto passed away.
Old 09-18-18, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only 41 years old. Brutal.

I never saw him fight until he was in the UFC and well past his prime. Time to track down some of his fights as he seems to have been a true KO artist.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.