DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/597752-2012-nfl-offseason-thread.html)

Decker 01-02-12 01:03 AM

The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Figured we needed a new thread for Black Monday which is now just hours away.

Per reports, The Rams will fire head coach Steve Spagnuolo and general manager Billy Devaney.

Wonder how big a bloodbath Jim Irsay wants the Colts to have. My guess is that Jim Caldwell is gone but the Polians stay. Just a hunch. Happy they're getting the #1 pick. Don't get cute -- just draft Luck!

BTW : Does anyone know why in all the ESPN Draft Boards, they list Andrew Luck with an asterisk, to indicate he's an underclassman with eligibility left? He's not, right?

TruGator 01-02-12 07:09 AM

Re: The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Luck is a redshirt junior, so he is an underclassman.

Thrush 01-02-12 07:37 AM

Norv Turner has to be fired. His teams shit the bed year after year like clockwork.

onebyone 01-02-12 09:58 AM

I thought that I would wake up today to see that Caldwell and Turner already fired.

Lets get on it owners. Why put off until tomorrow what you can fire today?

It's official, Spagnuolo & the Rams GM were fired today.

aktick 01-02-12 10:57 AM

Morris gone in Tampa.

rexinnih 01-02-12 12:12 PM

Hey Chargers, get on the ball and fire Norv! You can't let the Bucs and Rams beat you!

Decker 01-02-12 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by rexinnih (Post 11062054)
Hey Chargers, get on the ball and fire Norv! You can't let the Bucs and Rams beat you!

They could if it was September or October. :rimshot:

dstrauss 01-02-12 01:03 PM

Jets have a press conference this afternoon. I'm expecting Schotty to be gone, but with this team, who knows?

JumpCutz 01-02-12 01:39 PM

Looks like Indy is cleaning house...including the Polian's.

raven56706 01-02-12 01:41 PM

Why is Indy cleaning house?

LorenzoL 01-02-12 01:46 PM

If reports are true that even the Polians are gone, it might seem that Peyton's days in Indy are done too.

JumpCutz 01-02-12 01:46 PM

Chris Mortensen tweeted:

Filed to ESPN: Irsay cleans house, including Bill and Chris Polian, per league source

fumanstan 01-02-12 01:47 PM

Seems a bit rash to clean house in Indy to me.

Cory02 01-02-12 01:52 PM

Joe Theismann was on a sports talk radio station in St. Louis talking about the Rams coaching situation and he took it upon himself to spend 5 minutes talking about how Mark Sanchez is terrible and unfit to play QB in the NFL. :lol:

wishbone 01-02-12 01:53 PM

No, the Polians need to go. Period.

EDIT

http://i39.tinypic.com/rifzq1.jpg

Please be true...

raven56706 01-02-12 01:53 PM

those moves guarantee Luck as their new QB

LorenzoL 01-02-12 01:59 PM

Teams must be ecstatic of the possibility of signing Peyton if healthy as there is no way that the Colts will pay his bonus in March.

Decker 01-02-12 02:09 PM

So the Polians go, but what about Caldwell? No way he should stay if they're cleaning house.
Bill Polian has been HUGE to this organization, but his son Chris has made several terrible draft picks in recent years and overall, I'm okay with them both being shown the door. Don't know who they look to for rebuilding now, though.

sleepyhead55 01-02-12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by rexinnih (Post 11062054)

Apparently, Rivers and members of the FO are lobbying for Norvell to be kept as head coach. He's been the coach since 2007. You know what you have there. Just time to move on if I were the owner of the Chargers.

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11062186)
So the Polians go, but what about Caldwell? No way he should stay if they're cleaning house.
Bill Polian has been HUGE to this organization, but his son Chris has made several terrible draft picks in recent years and overall, I'm okay with them both being shown the door. Don't know who they look to for rebuilding now, though.

Hire a good personnel guy and hire a young coordinator type as a head coach. To be honest, I don't think the Polians have gotten enough criticism for the bad drafting of the past few years.

Manning is gone although I don't know whether or not he'll play again. Nerve injuries are tricky.

Decker 01-02-12 03:06 PM

I wonder what the Colts do with Manning : Do they give him the extension so they can trade him or do they let him walk? I'm not sure of the cap implications in both circumstances.

aktick 01-02-12 03:21 PM

Where does Manning go? I know a couple weeks ago I heard Washington would do all they could to get him...not a surprise. The Jets would surely be interested. I'm not even sure who else would want to pay him or give up what would be required to acquire him. Jets would seem the obvious choice, but as long as BF Ryan is there, would he allow Peyton to run things and not piss him off?

Red Dog 01-02-12 03:24 PM

2012 opponents:

http://www.nctimes.com/ap/zsports/ag...ba2eb5f68.html

Jericho 01-02-12 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by raven56706 (Post 11062154)
Why is Indy cleaning house?

It's already been covered, but Caldwell suck balls (though does yet appear to be fired) and Chris Polian sucked worse. Bill Polian was awesome, but he seemed semi-retired anyway and I suspect would not take too kindly to hiss on being fired. Since the Colts have not had a good draft in 5 years (not judging last year's draft yet), I take it as a good sign for Indi fans.

Jericho 01-02-12 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11062247)
I wonder what the Colts do with Manning : Do they give him the extension so they can trade him or do they let him walk? I'm not sure of the cap implications in both circumstances.

He just signed an extension this past offseason

Originally Posted by aktick (Post 11062268)
Where does Manning go? I know a couple weeks ago I heard Washington would do all they could to get him...not a surprise. The Jets would surely be interested. I'm not even sure who else would want to pay him or give up what would be required to acquire him. Jets would seem the obvious choice, but as long as BF Ryan is there, would he allow Peyton to run things and not piss him off?

eh, Washington seems always linked just because. No sure there's much truth to it. Jets and Dolphins make the most sense

aktick 01-02-12 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jericho (Post 11062291)
eh, Washington seems always linked just because. No sure there's much truth to it. Jets and Dolphins make the most sense

Yeah I know...but I still think they have that mentality that they'll go after guys and overpay for them...plus it would give Red Dog something to either bitch about or praise ;) ....and the Dolphins also make sense. Peyton would probably be better off in a warmer climate, not sure how he'd perform in shit weather the last couple months of the year and playoffs.