Reload this Page >

The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Old 03-21-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Trade should have been finalized on Easter Sunday.
Old 03-21-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
Tebow to the Jets. Again. For real this time.
with some interesting twists. apparently the Jags were in the running and Tebow got to pick which team he wanted to go to: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...jags-and-jets/

jets pay half of that $5 million bonus, apparently.
Old 03-21-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Trade should have been finalized on Easter Sunday.
Old 03-21-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have gone to Jacksonville if I was him.
Old 03-21-12, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I might be a Tebow fan but I will still have a little fun. That said I hope he grows as a qb and kicks ass in the NFL.
Old 03-21-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Jets locker room is very toxic. I'm a little surprised he didn't pick the Jags.
Old 03-21-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sometimes, I think the Jets keep Sanchez around just because it is fun to screw with him.

I just cannot believe Tebow picked the Jets. It makes no sense at all.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-21-12 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for the Saints punishment, I think it was harsh. I think most defenses probably have a similar system, but the Saints were the ones made an example of. I'm surprised Bill Belicheat's punishment was so small (did he even get punished?) in comparison.
Old 03-21-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
Sometimes, I think the Jets keep Sanchez around just because it is fun to screw with him.

I just cannot believe Tebow picked the Jets. It makes no sense at all.
Maybe in his heart he believes that the Jets are close and that he can take the starting role away from Sanchez. I really don't think that Sanchez is that much better than Tebow.
Old 03-21-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
The Jets locker room is very toxic. I'm a little surprised he didn't pick the Jags.
Especially with that Antonio Cromartie in there with his gang of kids. He needs to raise them before he worries about whether or not Tebow is on his team. What else do you expect from a former Nole though?
Old 03-21-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
As for the Saints punishment, I think it was harsh. I think most defenses probably have a similar system, but the Saints were the ones made an example of. I'm surprised Bill Belicheat's punishment was so small (did he even get punished?) in comparison.
But the Saints were being investigated, Williams, Peyton and Vitt all lied about it. Then the investigation stopped, the league office put a warning out to all the teams if you are doing these things stop. Not only did they keep it up, but apparently upped the ante in the playoffs.
Old 03-21-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
As a Panthers fan, I welcome the Saints punishments. But I have to wonder if Payton would just throw in the towel and quit his post. I read an article during last season that said Payton was contemplating it at some point (I don't know if it was before or after the Super Bowl win), but ended up deciding to stay in NO.

I'm confused about Brees' contract though. He didn't sign a tender offer with the Saints, but teams can not make an offer for him. It seems like if he wanted to jump ship and offer his services for another team, now would be the time.
He was franchise tagged. He either plays in NO or he doesn't play this year. Most likely they work out a long term deal.
Old 03-21-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He shouldn't even have to do that since he will have to pay another coach and other staff members to run the show in the meanwhile. The money should come from the offenders' pockets sort of like restitution.
I doubt he ends up paying Peyton's replacement 7.5 million. So he should save more than enough to cover it.
Old 03-21-12, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-21-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bet the Saints wish they had Brees locked up before the shit hit the fan. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere if the suspensions hold up.
Old 03-21-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
I bet the Saints wish they had Brees locked up before the shit hit the fan. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go elsewhere if the suspensions hold up.
Not unless he demands a trade and they agree. The Saints would be smart to change the story by announcing a long term deal.
Old 03-21-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not get the Tebow to NYJ trade. I don't see how it benefits either side. After Sanchez throws a few picks the Tebow chants will begin and Tebow can't live up to NYC expectations.
Old 03-21-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe in his heart he believes that the Jets are close and that he can take the starting role away from Sanchez. I really don't think that Sanchez is that much better than Tebow.
Yeah, but he's almost a guaranteed starter in Jacksonville. He can do the wildcat here and there now that Sporano is their OC but he's not going to get starting duties right away. Sanchez is going to have to blow enough for them to put him, which may or may not happen. He goes in streaks.

I agree with him and Sanchez being almost on par, but if his biggest fanbase is in Florida and there's a franchise with no real dedicated starter like the Jags, I would've thought that would've been his ideal fit.
Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
Bilichick was fined $500,000 by the league. The team itself was fined $250,000. I don't know if Payton has been fined or not, but I think this situation is a little worse in comparison since he and the rest of the staff was warned about it, continued to do it, then lied to the league.

If Bilichick was caught doing Spygate II or something I would suspect he would face the same treatment Payton & Co. did.

Williams is just out of the league now.. which could end up in a lifetime ban. I wonder if the Rams will even consider him for the DC position after next year if the league reinstates him.
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I do not get the Tebow to NYJ trade. I don't see how it benefits either side. After Sanchez throws a few picks the Tebow chants will begin and Tebow can't live up to NYC expectations.
That's the other thing. It's NYC, not Denver. If he sucks they're going to want to throw him off the GWB.

If anything this could be a marketing tactic by the Jets. Have Tebow suck enough where the crowd is rooting for Sanchez to be in the game and support him as their starter.
Old 03-21-12, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Captain Jesus heading to Broadway? Sanchez brace yourself for the cult of T-bone.

Can't wait!

Old 03-22-12, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 322 Likes on 192 Posts

Just a thought here : Even though they hold all the cards and still have that position of strength, why don't Jim Irsay and the Colts just come out and say "We want Andrew Luck and only Andrew Luck. We've never seen a college QB so ready to come to the next level and excel. We're certain he's going to be one of the premiere quarterbacks in the NFL for years to come." We know that's what they think, so why not come out and say it to reassure all the Colts fans who are nearly distraught at the sight of Peyton in Dark Blue and Orange? Keeping the charade up that they're trying to decide between Luck and RG III just makes it look like they're less than certain that Luck is the right guy to take over this franchise, and there's no upside to it from a PR standpoint.
Old 03-22-12, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

TeBowie makes a return...(there is an ad before the vid)

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=1391999" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 03-22-12, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Just a thought here : Even though they hold all the cards and still have that position of strength, why don't Jim Irsay and the Colts just come out and say "We want Andrew Luck and only Andrew Luck. We've never seen a college QB so ready to come to the next level and excel. We're certain he's going to be one of the premiere quarterbacks in the NFL for years to come." We know that's what they think, so why not come out and say it to reassure all the Colts fans who are nearly distraught at the sight of Peyton in Dark Blue and Orange? Keeping the charade up that they're trying to decide between Luck and RG III just makes it look like they're less than certain that Luck is the right guy to take over this franchise, and there's no upside to it from a PR standpoint.
Irsay has said on more than one occasion that Luck will be their future.
Old 03-22-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oh well..Saints did the crime and now have to do the time...

they said to stop and they didnt... too bad.
Old 03-22-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
But the Saints were being investigated, Williams, Peyton and Vitt all lied about it. Then the investigation stopped, the league office put a warning out to all the teams if you are doing these things stop. Not only did they keep it up, but apparently upped the ante in the playoffs.
exactly
Old 03-22-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Schefter tweet: Jacksonville offered to pay back Denver $3 million - vs. Jets $2.5 - for Tim Tebow. Plus, Jacksonville's 4th-rd pick was more valuable.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.