The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Old 01-02-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: The 2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Seems a bit rash to clean house in Indy to me.
I dunno. It just goes to show you how poorly the team has been managed, when they can barely win 2 games when their QB goes down. Meaning all their eggs were in the Manning basket and they did nothing to build a better team around him. Having said that, I do think they should've been given a little slack.
Old 01-02-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 320 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
He just signed an extension this past offseason
He did. But the club has the option to not make the $28 Million payment in March, in which case, he's an unrestricted free agent, as I understand it.
Old 01-02-12, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
He did. But the club has the option to not make the $28 Million payment in March, in which case, he's an unrestricted free agent, as I understand it.
Yeah, but don't you pick that up? Indi's going nowhere without Peyton (and really nowhere with him - that team stinks right now). But one thing they do have is plenty of cap space. Mine as well pick it up and trade Manning. Someone will give up something for his rights
Old 01-02-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess so, but that was my question. I don't know how one option vs the other affects the cap. But I have to expect that they pay that option and keep their options open. If they get, for example, Washington's #1, #3 and another #1 for Peyton, I would expect them to take that and move forward. But Jim Irsay is pretty loyal and wouldn't be surprised if they kept Peyton on board and put Luck on the bench (though he's clearly ready to start in the NFL now). I sincerely hope they don't trade away that Luck pick though -- sure-fire franchise QBs are a rare, rare commodity. And the only thing rarer is getting one through Free Agency -- Brees is the only case I can think of.

Last edited by Decker; 01-02-12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-02-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the Colts of all teams are aware of how valuable that sure-fire #1 QB pick is...
Old 01-02-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

According to Insider Norv Turner and AJ Smith could both be retained for 2012. YES!!!!
Old 01-02-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If that holds true, the Chargers fans that I know will without a doubt spontaneously combust.

Last edited by onebyone; 01-02-12 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-02-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
If that holds true, the Chargers fans that I know will without a doubt spontaneously combust.
I know and I love it! It says that there is a chance it happens due to financial reasons. Maybe there is a silver lining in my Raiders losing yesterday to the Chargers.
Old 01-02-12, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
Yeah, but don't you pick that up? Indi's going nowhere without Peyton (and really nowhere with him - that team stinks right now). But one thing they do have is plenty of cap space. Mine as well pick it up and trade Manning. Someone will give up something for his rights
I guess so, but that was my question. I don't know how one option vs the other affects the cap. But I have to expect that they pay that option and keep their options open. If they get, for example, Washington's #1, #3 and another #1 for Peyton, I would expect them to take that and move forward. But Jim Irsay is pretty loyal and wouldn't be surprised if they kept Peyton on board and put Luck on the bench (though he's clearly ready to start in the NFL now). I sincerely hope they don't trade away that Luck pick though -- sure-fire franchise QBs are a rare, rare commodity. And the only thing rarer is getting one through Free Agency -- Brees is the only case I can think of.
The Colts are in a difficult position and why the Colts are agonizing over the option of Peyton's contract is that the $28 million dollars (as I understand it) will count towards the 2012 salary cap and it will restrict a team like the Colts, to have that amount of money tied up to Peyton and whatever they pay to Luck on two QBs when they have various other needs they need to fill. Also in regards to trading Peyton, a team will need to clear space on their salary cap to accommodate him, which it will restrict the number of teams interested in him.
Old 01-02-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rams reportedly set to interview Jeff Fisher. I imagine he's at the top of a lot of team's wish lists.
Old 01-02-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
The Colts are in a difficult position and why the Colts are agonizing over the option of Peyton's contract is that the $28 million dollars (as I understand it) will count towards the 2012 salary cap and it will restrict a team like the Colts, to have that amount of money tied up to Peyton and whatever they pay to Luck on two QBs when they have various other needs they need to fill. Also in regards to trading Peyton, a team will need to clear space on their salary cap to accommodate him, which it will restrict the number of teams interested in him.
But that's the beauty. If they keep Manning and want to play him, then his salary really is not an issue. But if they keep him to trade him, it really does not matter. Sure, he'll tie up cap space, but it will be rebuilding year anyway (and how many teams sit way below the cap anyway?). And the bonus will count against the Colts cap, making him easier to trade.
Old 01-02-12, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I know and I love it! It says that there is a chance it happens due to financial reasons. Maybe there is a silver lining in my Raiders losing yesterday to the Chargers.
But keeping Turner also indicates another delay in the Chargers' impending move to Los Angeles - hard to sell tickets in a new city to see a team that's demonstrating a commitment to mediocrity.
Old 01-02-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
But keeping Turner also indicates another delay in the Chargers' impending move to Los Angeles - hard to sell tickets in a new city to see a team that's demonstrating a commitment to mediocrity.
Doesn't bother me at all as I'm not a Chargers fan. It's the commitment to mediocrity that I'm hoping for.
Old 01-03-12, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

This is too funny.

According to ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell, Redskins ILB Rocky McIntosh "stuffed his bed with pillows/blankets to make it look like he was in and not breaking curfew" during the team's trip to Philadelphia. "It did not work," according to Russell. Perhaps things would have turned out differently had McIntosh had his parents call coach Mike Shanahan and ask permission to stay out later. McIntosh will be playing elsewhere in 2012.
Old 01-03-12, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rams reportedly set to interview Jeff Fisher. I imagine he's at the top of a lot of team's wish lists.
Tampa and Miami are also scheduled for next week.
Old 01-03-12, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Eagles owner Jeff Lurie has a scheduled 2:30 press conference today, as he has never had one of these called right after the season.
Old 01-03-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
According to Insider Norv Turner and AJ Smith could both be retained for 2012. YES!!!!
Hey, if we were inexplicably stuck with him for 7 years (with only 1 playoff appearance no less), they should be stuck with him for at least that long.

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
This is too funny.

According to ESPN 980 Washington's Chris Russell, Redskins ILB Rocky McIntosh "stuffed his bed with pillows/blankets to make it look like he was in and not breaking curfew" during the team's trip to Philadelphia. "It did not work," according to Russell. Perhaps things would have turned out differently had McIntosh had his parents call coach Mike Shanahan and ask permission to stay out later. McIntosh will be playing elsewhere in 2012.
Old 01-03-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
This is too funny.

This is what happened when someone knocked on his door to check on him:

"Oh, I'm sorry. I can't come to the door right now. I'm afraid that in my weakened condition, I could take a nasty spill down the stairs and subject myself to further team meeting absences. You can reach my parents at their places of business. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your concern for my well-being. Have a nice day!"
Old 01-03-12, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Eagles owner Jeff Lurie has a scheduled 2:30 press conference today, as he has never had one of these called right after the season.
I'm torn on whether to fire Andy Reid but leaning toward doing it.

On one hand, Andy brings stability and at least some modicum of success on the field year in and year out. On the other hand, it's been 12 years and no title which to me has to be unacceptable in the NFL. Too bad we signed that dog-killing weasel for the long term.
Old 01-03-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'm torn on whether to fire Andy Reid but leaning toward doing it.

On one hand, Andy brings stability and at least some modicum of success on the field year in and year out. On the other hand, it's been 12 years and no title which to me has to be unacceptable in the NFL. Too bad we signed that dog-killing weasel for the long term.
13 years

I think there are two Andy Reid's people need to look at: 1999-2004 Andy Reid, and 2005-2011 Andy Reid.

1999-2004 Reid: 4 NFC Championships games, 1 SB appearance (lost), 3 times they had the Bye in the playoffs, made the playoffs 5 of 6 years (Overall Playoff record: 7-5)

2005-2011 Reid: 1 NFC Championship game, 0 SB appearance, 0 times they had the Bye in the playoffs, made the playoffs 4 of 7 years (Overall playoff record: 3-4)

Clearly this team has stagnated since they made the Superbowl in 2004, and have not even won a playoff game since 2008. Its been 13 years, and its time for a new direction for this organization.

But my money says that Lurie keeps Reid and all this press conference is for damage control because of the expectations of the 'dream team.'
Old 01-03-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You had to write it all down, didn't you? Yes, he should go. I have a feeling he will stay but would not be surprised to see them pull the plug.
Old 01-03-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Fisher would take the Rams job. Peter King was on Colin Cowherd this morning and said it would be enticing to Fisher. They have an up and coming QB in Bradford, who most think still will be a good player. They have the #2 pick in the draft, and they will have a lot of cap space in a couple of years. And if someone like Washington or Cleveland want to trade up to get Griffin III, they could get a lot of help for the 2nd pick.
Old 01-03-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Hey, if we were inexplicably stuck with him for 7 years (with only 1 playoff appearance no less), they should be stuck with him for at least that long.

ETA: not sure why there is such a large gap. But I will add that the Bears fired their GM Jerry Angelo

Last edited by chowderhead; 01-03-12 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-03-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
You had to write it all down, didn't you? Yes, he should go. I have a feeling he will stay but would not be surprised to see them pull the plug.
Someone wrote on Twitter that Lurie is going to walk into the press conference, "Everyone in Philadelphia is going to have to deal with Andy another year!" And then he clears his throat while laughing, "Time is yours!"

And Joe Banner is in the backround counting money.
Old 01-03-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone View Post
(BOOM) ............. nothing left at my desk except for a smoldering pile of ashes on my chair. Oh God, please don't let Norv come back.......

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.