Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Old 01-07-12, 12:43 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,223
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yw2_JC1Hu5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-08-12, 02:49 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 22,089
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

TNA question: have Hogan and Bischoff left the promotion? I don't seem to recollect seeing either of them involved since around Thanksgiving. Then again, I don't pay too much attention to TNA aside from the knockouts so I admit to being out the loop.
Old 01-08-12, 07:39 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Louisville
Posts: 7,595
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
TNA question: have Hogan and Bischoff left the promotion? I don't seem to recollect seeing either of them involved since around Thanksgiving. Then again, I don't pay too much attention to TNA aside from the knockouts so I admit to being out the loop.
No, they are still around. Just not on TV at the moment. Hogan signed a new two year deal a month ago.
Old 01-08-12, 08:23 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SethDLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,722
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

I went to ROH tapings last night. So much fun. They taped 4 episodes of the show. Some cool storyline stuff happened, some great matches. It was more or less announced that Du Burns Arena in Baltimore is the new home venue for ROH and I couldn't be happier. It's 15 minutes from me. Already have my tickets for the return on Feb 4.
Old 01-09-12, 02:19 AM
  #55  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yw2_JC1Hu5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Best promo of his career
Old 01-09-12, 07:24 AM
  #56  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
I went to ROH tapings last night. So much fun. They taped 4 episodes of the show. Some cool storyline stuff happened, some great matches. It was more or less announced that Du Burns Arena in Baltimore is the new home venue for ROH and I couldn't be happier. It's 15 minutes from me. Already have my tickets for the return on Feb 4.
4 episodes is about 3 hours live? I might need to come check out a show sooner or later.
Old 01-09-12, 01:38 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
SethDLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,722
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
4 episodes is about 3 hours live? I might need to come check out a show sooner or later.
It was probably around 3.5 hours total. I think the show started a little after 7 and was done around 10:45-11, and there was an intermission.
Old 01-09-12, 08:49 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

"I'm not Little Jimmy, I'm Big Johnnny"

Nice to see Edge go into the hall.

WTF did they do to Brodus Clay?
Old 01-09-12, 08:49 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pa
Posts: 11,881
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

They've killed BC faster than the gobbledygooker.
Old 01-09-12, 08:50 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,475
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

OMFG!

Flash Funk 2.0?
Old 01-09-12, 08:50 PM
  #61  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

God f*cking forbid WWE has a tough heel.
Old 01-09-12, 09:14 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

I'm not going to sit here and act like I was anticipating Brodus Clay's redebut, but seriously -- wtf?

ETA: I watched the segment again, and it is just so so...bizarre.

Last edited by boredsilly; 01-09-12 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 09:53 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Ryder trying to change the tire without using the jack first
Old 01-09-12, 10:10 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,223
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Ryder trying to change the tire without using the jack first
#areyouseriousbro?
Old 01-10-12, 01:33 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,899
Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

I always thought the 4 Horsemen were originally Flair, Arn, Ole and Tully? And then at times it was Windham, Sting, Luger, etc.

BC was weird.. looks like One Man Gang and Kama had a kid.
Old 01-10-12, 01:46 AM
  #66  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Charlie Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sesame Street (the apt. next to Bob's)
Posts: 20,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

It was like a combo of P.N. News and Akeem the African Dream!

I know the audience took a big steaming crap on it, but is he supposed to be a heel or face? Anyway, the live audience almost always shits on something new.

Please don't hate me, but I thought the Funkosaurus was pretty cool. We certainly don't need another monster, another pretty boy, another smug no-nonsense ring expert, another cocky s.o.b.
What's wrong with having a little fun? Okay, maybe the months of buildup was a tad much, but remember Junkyard Dog? He was always jukin' and jivin' in the ring, and he was one of the biggest stars in the early domination of the WWF.

One complaint I do have is his outfit. He's a fat guy, can't they create something a little more appropriate for him? That red vinyl suit made his belly and thighs look enormous. Surely the wardrobe folks can make something that flatters his shape better.

Looking forward to seeing him next week! Somebody call my mama!
Old 01-10-12, 02:31 AM
  #67  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 11,172
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Please don't hate me, but I thought the Funkosaurus was pretty cool. We certainly don't need another monster, another pretty boy, another smug no-nonsense ring expert, another cocky s.o.b. What's wrong with having a little fun?
Actually, I agree with you. It was kinda funny to watch. I doubt it'll help his career much. He'll probably be paired with Santino or Hornswaggle within a month. But at least it's something different.
Old 01-10-12, 06:52 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 5,731
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Ain't nothing wrong with liking what you like. It isn't exactly for me, at least not yet, but if you grooved on it -- cool! I will say I did find him amusing, but more in a "What the fuck is going on here?" sort of way, not in a "I can't wait to see more of this guy!" sort of way. But who knows, he could become a fan favorite in no time.
Old 01-10-12, 07:07 AM
  #69  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Kedrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Katy, Tx
Posts: 4,446
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Welp, Jericho came out and basically did the same thing as last week. I gave it another week and I spent the time looking at my wife's phone at the new Sheamus shirt (seriously) since she was equally unimpressed by Jericho's antics. I know people will defend it yet again, but come on. Brodus "Funkadelic" Clay was more entertaining. Zack Ryder changing a tire...okay maybe not than that. At least Bryan, R-Truth and the Punk/Swagger match was worth watching.
Old 01-10-12, 10:07 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Charlie Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sesame Street (the apt. next to Bob's)
Posts: 20,199
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Speaking of Zack Ryder, is it helping his rep when he runs away screaming from Kane and is nearly in tears while fumbling with a spare tire?
Old 01-10-12, 01:45 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,899
Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
One complaint I do have is his outfit. He's a fat guy, can't they create something a little more appropriate for him? That red vinyl suit made his belly and thighs look enormous. Surely the wardrobe folks can make something that flatters his shape better.
Certainly makes King Kong Bundy look good. Dunno why they couldn't just have him leave the sweat pants on as long as they're not gaudy gold like Mabel/Viscera. I'd like to see him and Thugonomics Cena go at it in a rap battle!
Old 01-10-12, 02:36 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,209
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
I know the audience took a big steaming crap on it, but is he supposed to be a heel or face? Anyway, the live audience almost always shits on something new.
I'd give the live response a pass at this early stage considering the WTF nature of the gimmick. How it does in the next few appearances will be the test.

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
Please don't hate me, but I thought the Funkosaurus was pretty cool. We certainly don't need another monster, another pretty boy, another smug no-nonsense ring expert, another cocky s.o.b.
What's wrong with having a little fun? Okay, maybe the months of buildup was a tad much, but remember Junkyard Dog? He was always jukin' and jivin' in the ring, and he was one of the biggest stars in the early domination of the WWF.
Exactly! One of the downsides in this more "reality-based" era of wrestling is so many guys seem the same ... and the whole thing just doesn't seem like as much fun as it used to be.

I'll admit ... my first response was "oh no ... this looks awful!" But he won me over with the match. I think all the little mannerisms and things he shouted out did it for me.

*pulls off the rip-away pants and fireworks* "Oh you didn't see that comin'"
"Should I get him?"
"Suplex baby!"
*guy in audience shouts "You suck Brodus"* "My bad!"

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
One complaint I do have is his outfit. He's a fat guy, can't they create something a little more appropriate for him? That red vinyl suit made his belly and thighs look enormous. Surely the wardrobe folks can make something that flatters his shape better.
I think a silly outfit that emphasizes a lot of jiggling is kind of the point

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I doubt it'll help his career much. He'll probably be paired with Santino or Hornswaggle within a month.
Santino and Hornswaggle have had steady gigs for years, while tons of non-descript guys come and go. While it's probably not the first kind of thing a kid thinks of when he dreams of being a pro-wrestler, it might not be a bad thing career-wise.

Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
Welp, Jericho came out and basically did the same thing as last week. I gave it another week and I spent the time looking at my wife's phone at the new Sheamus shirt (seriously) since she was equally unimpressed by Jericho's antics. I know people will defend it yet again, but come on.
Jericho's new thing is obviously to troll the fans. Reminds me a little of a phase Cactus Jack had in ECW where he tried to turn heel by giving the fans nothing that pleased them ... delivering intentionally boring promos and matches. I get the concept, but the problem is that it sucks to watch. Strictly fast-forward material for me.
Old 01-10-12, 02:59 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 14,597
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I'll admit ... my first response was "oh no ... this looks awful!" But he won me over with the match. I think all the little mannerisms and things he shouted out did it for me.

*pulls off the rip-away pants and fireworks* "Oh you didn't see that comin'"
"Should I get him?"
"Suplex baby!"
*guy in audience shouts "You suck Brodus"* "My bad!"


Jericho's new thing is obviously to troll the fans. Reminds me a little of a phase Cactus Jack had in ECW where he tried to turn heel by giving the fans nothing that pleased them ... delivering intentionally boring promos and matches. I get the concept, but the problem is that it sucks to watch. Strictly fast-forward material for me.
Agreed on both counts. I'd read all over Facebook that they'd really fucked up with Brodus, so when I caught the show on my dvr, I was really pleasantly surprised. I was expecting the worst, but the dancers, the theme and all the little things he did really won me over.

As for Jericho, the biggest problem I'm having with it is that the crowd simply really doesn't seem to want to boo him. He got a decent pop on a night when the crowd wasn't really into anything. I get what he's going for, but like you said, it sucks to watch.
Old 01-10-12, 03:19 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

At first I was like:

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
Ain't nothing wrong with liking what you like. It isn't exactly for me, at least not yet, but if you grooved on it -- cool! I will say I did find him amusing, but more in a "What the fuck is going on here?" sort of way, not in a "I can't wait to see more of this guy!" sort of way. But who knows, he could become a fan favorite in no time.
Then I was like
Originally Posted by brainee View Post

I'll admit ... my first response was "oh no ... this looks awful!" But he won me over with the match. I think all the little mannerisms and things he shouted out did it for me.

*pulls off the rip-away pants and fireworks* "Oh you didn't see that comin'"
"Should I get him?"
"Suplex baby!"
*guy in audience shouts "You suck Brodus"* "My bad!"
Old 01-10-12, 03:46 PM
  #75  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
One of the downsides in this more "reality-based" era of wrestling is so many guys seem the same ... and the whole thing just doesn't seem like as much fun as it used to be.
I actually love that Brodus's theme music is so different from everything else out there. I'm sick of all the generic "mainstream hard rock" themes that have no personality or character. Orton is the biggie, of course, but it fits his character. But then you have the themes of Christian, Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, Alex Riley, Cody Rhodes, etc. Just bland and interchangeable, in my opinion.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.