DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/597727-january-12-pro-wrestling-thread-genesis-royal-rumble.html)

boredsilly 01-03-12 06:58 AM

Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

I think Jericho's return, while hard to watch (like The Office is hard to watch), was a really genius way for a returning star to turn the crowd against him. I almost wonder if that was WWE sort of commenting on Rock's return a little. I'm not going to say it was my favorite segment ever, but it was affective for what they were trying to do.

I'm glad he's a heel, because not only does that make Punk v Jericho at Mania likely, but Jericho has always been best as a shit heel.

Kedrix 01-03-12 07:52 AM

Oyie. Let me preface my comments by mentioning, I think the world of Jericho, I've read his two books, own the WWE 3-disc dvd, etc, etc, etc. I have no problem with him being a heel either. But last night, was really rough by the end to the point where I think it got him almost a Vicky Guerrero/Michael Cole reaction by some as he left. Like really? really? really? Okay, walking around pandering to the crowd, I can hold you guys in the palm of my hand, you all are puppets. I get that. Then just leaving? It's not brilliant, it is going to piss them off and worst of all make them not care.

Internet smarks type might really hate Cena, but he's right about one thing and that is it doesn't matter if you get booed or cheered, as long as you get a reaction. Jericho is walking the line right now. Yes, he got a great smattering of cheers, but the boos at the end were frustration. Not heel boos. His next move better be a good one or this return might be the shortest of all.

ardathbey 01-03-12 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 11062972)

Internet smarks type might really hate Cena, but he's right about one thing and that is it doesn't matter if you get booed or cheered, as long as you get a reaction. Jericho is walking the line right now. Yes, he got a great smattering of cheers, but the boos at the end were frustration. Not heel boos. His next move better be a good one or this return might be the shortest of all.

You got ALL that out of one segment? Gosh, give it some time to see where he goes with it. One night, one segment he walked that line, and it was obvious he was walking it on purpose, to prove that he could. If he does the same exact thing for 8 straight weeks, I'm with you, but if you own all the DVDs and are a fan, you know the guy is better than you're giving him credit for.

Kedrix 01-03-12 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by ardathbey (Post 11063090)
You got ALL that out of one segment? Gosh, give it some time to see where he goes with it. One night, one segment he walked that line, and it was obvious he was walking it on purpose, to prove that he could. If he does the same exact thing for 8 straight weeks, I'm with you, but if you own all the DVDs and are a fan, you know the guy is better than you're giving him credit for.

I do know he is better than that and I am reaching a bit I reckon (when you watch wrestling for 30 years, you tend to guess more than you should). It was just a little worrisome in my opinion. We shall see. I hope I'm wrong, honestly.

Edit: Also I feel very sorry for whoever has a mystery video package comeback next. The casual fan is liable to crap all over it. I mean Glacier level crap all over it. ;)

Mikael79 01-03-12 10:50 AM

I personally loved what Jericho did. Everyone expected him to come out, get a ton of cheers and then get on the mic and do what every single other returning wrestler has done in the past. Jericho loves being different and doing something that no one else has ever done - which is exactly what he did last night.

We all should have known right away with that big grin on his face...looking back, that should have been a telling sign.

DthRdrX 01-03-12 06:40 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O89mPP-Wm30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMO, he should bring Ralphus back as that was my favorite run that he did. :)

Me007gold 01-03-12 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX (Post 11063708)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O89mPP-Wm30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When he stopped and turned the jacket back on, I lost it. This is great.

EdTheRipper 01-03-12 07:19 PM

Alright, that was pretty funny. :lol:

DGibFen 01-03-12 07:27 PM

Credit to Sucio over at F4wonline.com:

http://www.abload.de/img/requestx9wrz.gif

Timber 01-03-12 08:21 PM

Disappointed that they didn't use the countdown when the arena was blacked out like they did in his debut and subsequent comebacks.

I do love that he's one of the few that has kept his entrance music pretty much unadulterated since the start.

tonymontana313 01-03-12 09:31 PM

If this is not a sign of Chris trolling, I don't know what is. :lol:

NORML54601 01-03-12 09:47 PM

:lol: That was pretty funny

raven56706 01-04-12 07:32 AM

rotfl.... y2j is hilarious!

NORML54601 01-05-12 05:54 PM

--From the twitter of Kevin Nash, as he challenges the Ultimate Warrior to a shoot fight:

"Never realized I had a problem with Jim (Warrior). Seemed to get along fine in Scottsdale. Come on my clown, turn that frown upside down."

"A true warrior never turns down a challenge. Put up a 100K. I'll do the same. 3 rounds, mma rules, winner takes all."

"I'm talking shoot not sports entertainment. Jim Hellwig needs to put up or shut the fuck up. Day before Mania in Miami area."

"Warrior will have to pass all hiv and hep a b and c tests. I'll do the same."

"I'm tired of the guy talking shit about the boys & me. When they stop it or you tap, I'll quit, or you can apologize like the c*nt you are."

"You should watch your mouth. You know your a bitch. You want nothing to do with me. You ran out of your gym to avoid me."

"You want to go pussy, name the place and time. If not, shut your dick sucker and forget my name. Bitch make me 100K richer."
rotfl I'd love to watch this trainwreck in the unlikely event it happens

GuessWho 01-05-12 08:41 PM

Just looked at Warrior's twitter and all I saw was this from two days ago:

RT @GregKOESTER "Why not dye the hair...pull a Kevin Nash return?" I'm not a dickhead who thrives on stealing the limelight from young guys.

DGibFen 01-05-12 10:20 PM

Tonight's Impact ended with Bobby Roode performing a crossface on Jeff Hardy while Bully Ray wrapped a chain around Abyss, threw it over the ring ropes, and used it like a noose to choke out Abyss.

Hello? No one remembers Chris Benoit?

Stupid stupid stupid.

GuessWho 01-05-12 10:47 PM

I don't expect good decision making by, on behalf of, or anywhere near a Hardy

DGibFen 01-05-12 10:59 PM

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/2...ysshanged4.jpg

:sad: :brickwl2:

NORML54601 01-05-12 11:30 PM

Stay classy TNA

sharkstank 01-05-12 11:31 PM

Wow TNA. That's quite...insensitive of them. Does Roode even use the crossface on a regular basis? They couldn't have had him do a dragon sleeper or something?

DthRdrX 01-06-12 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by DGibFen (Post 11066265)
Tonight's Impact ended with Bobby Roode performing a crossface on Jeff Hardy while Bully Ray wrapped a chain around Abyss, threw it over the ring ropes, and used it like a noose to choke out Abyss.

Hello? No one remembers Chris Benoit?

Stupid stupid stupid.

I have to be honest but that picture of the show ending with the copyright on screen looks like a desperate attempt to get some kind of response from ANY mainstream news source. Doubt it works.

NORML54601 01-06-12 08:21 PM

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't find Rosa attractive and would rather see Epico & Primo aligned with Hunico & Commacho.

NORML54601 01-06-12 08:59 PM

Bryan winning via DQ :lol: WWE did a pretty good job handling that match.

SethDLH 01-06-12 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by NORML54601 (Post 11067363)
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't find Rosa attractive and would rather see Epico & Primo aligned with Hunico & Commacho.

I think neck down she's great. Really wish they would have kept them all together though.

Originally Posted by NORML54601 (Post 11067391)
Bryan winning via DQ :lol: WWE did a pretty good job handling that match.

I thought it was a fantastic big guy/little guy match. No bullshit surprise ending like Rey Mysterio has. Danielson was in control just as much as Show and never once looked weak. The ending was great. He had been showing slight heel tendencies for a few weeks now and they came out big time tonight. Arrogance and cockiness, drawing heat from the crowd before the match. Then Danielson asking for the bell to be rung after Henry shoved him to the ground and his celebration for the victory, perfect heel stuff. Loved it.

NORML54601 01-07-12 05:15 AM

The Nash/Hellwig feud continues. :lol: