Reload this Page >

The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

Old 01-30-12, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The January '12 Pro Wrestling Thread: Genesis/Royal Rumble

That match between daniel bryan and cm punk was better than the whole ppv last night
Old 01-30-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Laurenitis: Hey, how's your son?
Regal: Daughters actually, conjoined twins. I keep them locked in the attic.
lol
Old 01-30-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, Johnny Ace is drawing more heat then Vicky. They guy has done his job extremely well.
Old 01-30-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

great, another match between 2 retired guys. oh, look at that, the same set up as last year.

Damn, just when I shit on it HHH makes it interesting.
Old 01-30-12, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
Laurenitis: Hey, how's your son?
Regal: Daughters actually, conjoined twins. I keep them locked in the attic.
And Laurinaitis just dead-panning Regal in response: Entering the 5th grade? That's a tough year.

I'm ready for the Funkasaurus to do something different. Haven't they pretty much run out of heel jobbers?

Why does Kofi Kingston have question marks all over his tights? Is there any significance to them, or are they just another one of those random unexplained things in pro wrestling? I can't think of anything "question" related to his character ... unless you count the confusion regarding his country of origin (first Jamaica, then Ghana ... but keeping all the Jamaican mannerisms).
Old 01-30-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I guess Triple H will NOT be taking over as GM since he's going to be busy with Taker for the next couple of months. Is he going to make Taker chase HIM?

Not thrilled with Punk and Bryan sucking each other's dicks in the locker room.
"Most people don't know what a vegan is."
"And most don't know what straight edge is."
What are we, fucking morons?
Old 01-30-12, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee View Post

Why does Kofi Kingston have question marks all over his tights? Is there any significance to them, or are they just another one of those random unexplained things in pro wrestling? I can't think of anything "question" related to his character ... unless you count the confusion regarding his country of origin (first Jamaica, then Ghana ... but keeping all the Jamaican mannerisms).
I wondered the same thing. Did they just add them to his tights this week?
Old 01-31-12, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The question marks are a riff on The Riddler. As to why he's doing that? Who knows. I do think he needs an overhaul to his look. His tights look super goofy.
Old 01-31-12, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't give two shits about seeing UT/HHH III. It was pretty much the same promo as last year only reversed. Why would the Undertaker challange Triple H to a match at WrestleMania when he has already beaten him twice at the event? It makes no sense to me at all.
Old 01-31-12, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

last years match was awesome... why would they not have part 3
Old 01-31-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be very interested to see if they can deliver again. Taker and Triple H are both smart enough to protect this program from the foundation, so I'm hopeful, but they're also both getting older -- so who knows. I'm all about it though.
Old 01-31-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
last years match was awesome... why would they not have part 3
We have already seen this match at WM twice before. I wish they had gone with different opponent for the Undertaker. What would it hurt to give some of the other talent like Wade Barrett, The Miz or Dolph Ziggler a shot instead of old ass Trips? He sure as heck doesn't need the rub.
Old 01-31-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Because no one will believe Barrett, Miz, or Zigler has a shot at beating the streak. Their credibility is a whole other problem WWE has but without solving that HHH (unless you're going to get Brock or Cena to fight him) is the right opponent for Taker at Mania.
Old 01-31-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They've managed to make Henry into a credible challenger although from a safety standpoint it might not be the best for an aging UT.

I just don't get the draw of watching 2 retired wrestlers go at for the second year in a row. That said though HHH is the best opponent for him simply because it doesn't take anyone else off the board for the next 2 months for a one off match.
Old 01-31-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did Hunter even accept the challenge? The pat on the shoulder and the walkout seems to me that he's not facing Taker.
Old 01-31-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
I don't give two shits about seeing UT/HHH III. It was pretty much the same promo as last year only reversed. Why would the Undertaker challange Triple H to a match at WrestleMania when he has already beaten him twice at the event? It makes no sense to me at all.

Can only think of two things.

1.) He sent him out of WM on a stretcher.
2.) No one else except Cena would even be a believable challenge to the streak anyway.

I did change my mind about something last night though.

I always figured we would get chickensh*t heel Cena if he ever turned, like what happened with Hollywood Hogan. Last night showed that we might get Evil Superman instead, and 'evil superman' tends to be more dangerous than regular goody two-shoes superman. It could be a fresh and interesting storyline ending with UT having to put a stop to him next year at WM ....
Old 01-31-12, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
I always figured we would get chickensh*t heel Cena if he ever turned, like what happened with Hollywood Hogan. Last night showed that we might get Evil Superman instead, and 'evil superman' tends to be more dangerous than regular goody two-shoes superman. It could be a fresh and interesting storyline ending with UT having to put a stop to him next year at WM ....
I could dig that! I'm so tired of chicken heels it isn't even funny. It works for Bryan because he's facing giants, but I don't like that for some reason heels are automatically worse wrestlers than their face counterparts. Yet, when said heel turns face, they turn into an unstoppable machine.
Old 02-01-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thoughts on the Rumble and Raw (be warned, all of these aren't popular thoughts according to what I've seen in way of comments here)

Matches not including the rumble:
-Great match between Bryan and the two giants, Bryan going over was the obvious choice.
-Punk and Ziggler was also very good. Obviously Laurintis was not screwing Punk just in an attempt to keep his job.
-rest of the matches, absolutely nothing worth mentioning.
-However, I'm fully expecting Kane to find Ryder in a hospital somewhere and drag him to a cemetary. How much punishment can that poor guy take?

Rumble:
-Good: Sheamus winning. Totally deserved, he's been kinda running around in the mid-card for a while now even though he deserves much better. This actually gives him the respect push to hopefully a title win that lasts longer than it took to write this post.
-Good: Nostalgia and Funny Moments, from Hacksaw to Dueling socks, we got a good assortment of fun moments.
-Good: Kofi's handstand. Doesn't quite beat Morrison's spot from last year, but darn if it wasn't pretty to look at.
-Bad: Too many jobbers and too many quick eliminations. The rumble didn't even last an hour I believe. And there was way too many people who we all knew had no chance in hell to win it.

Overall, I liked it honestly.

Onto Raw.

-Good: Kofi beating the Miz. Might we see Kofi with another belt in 2012, I hope so.
-Good: Bryan vs Punk, OMG...this was like a wrestling wet dream outside of the near expected finish. Fantastic stuff.
-Bad: Is it just me or did Ziggler seem to be knocked down a peg in his match with Orton? It was wayyyyyy too clean and Ziggler seems like he was depushed.
-Bad: Any idea of Trips vs Undertaker, AGAIN...is ridiculous. It does nothing for either party. All of you who think Undertaker needs to keep the streak instead of passing the torch are the same people who complain when "X Wrestler" is over the hill. Either A) Undertaker needs to go away or b) Pass the torch. He's done a ton for the sport. I acknowledge that. But last year's wrestlemania while a good match was REALLY hard to watch. I was actually concerned whether or not he would spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. That's how broken he looked. I hope the last image of Raw was just a tease at HHH/Undertaker and that something else happens.
Old 02-01-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is not a single young wrestler on the roster that can carry UT's torch IMO. It would have to be a relatively new guy capable of out-headlining Cena fairly quickly and bringing the industry to the next generation. I just don't see that ability in any of the remaining wrestlers. Punk may have had the ability but I think that window of chance closed on it being him.

Most of today's stars are not even in the same league as the midcard talent that existed during the two recent boom periods. (80s to early 90s and late 90s)

I personally agree with what Steve Austin said about this a while back. The problem isn't the PG rating, though I still despise it. The problem is two fold:

A. the lack of actual development and experience young wrestlers have before performing in front of a national audience
B. the 'scripted' promos
Old 02-01-12, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's being reported that the farting thing is going to be Nattie's new gimmick
Old 02-02-12, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
There is not a single young wrestler on the roster that can carry UT's torch IMO.
I think there are a lot of guys on the roster who can have as boring of matches as Undertaker.
Old 02-02-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm watching the Undertaker dvd on netflix, and it is amazing that he didn't kill 30 people with how he used to deliver the tombstone. That shit looks so dangerous how he did it back then.
Old 02-02-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Howie2000 View Post
I think there are a lot of guys on the roster who can have as boring of matches as Undertaker.
He's been the best match on the WM card going on three years now. Yea, last year's match wasn't as good as the ones vs HBK but WM sucked last year so it will get the nod.

UT was something special the NIGHT he debuted at the SS. He has almost 20 years of great main even level performances before he started his part time schedule. Good luck finding a talent currently in the WWE that can take that spot.
Old 02-02-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boredsilly View Post
I'm watching the Undertaker dvd on netflix, and it is amazing that he didn't kill 30 people with how he used to deliver the tombstone. That shit looks so dangerous how he did it back then.
The first few years when he was skinnier he used to jump like 3-4ft with the guy before landing on his head. Unreal that he never broke someones neck.
Old 02-02-12, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got a kick out of this:

- A WWE employee texted a UFC employee during Saturday's show on FOX to say their production is terrible. The WWE employee received a text back reading, "At least we don't have an imbecilic lead announcer ruining our show."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.