Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Old 12-25-11, 08:21 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Setzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 3,753
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post


I just got home, and saw the Lakers up by one with 20 seconds left. I thought, so the Bulls have a chance to win it. Then I see the Lakers have the ball, and I think "okay, just hold the ball and wait to get fouled."

Then I see Gasol fumble the inbound pass away

Same old typical Lakers, and you know what, I'm glad they lost
Yeah it was ugly. Only two weeks of training camp...this is exactly what I expected. On the bright side we did manage to almost pull out a win against one of the best teams in the league, playing at full strength, while we don't have Bynum and Kobe is no where near 100% with his wrist.
Old 12-25-11, 08:36 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,869
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by Setzer View Post
Yeah it was ugly. Only two weeks of training camp...this is exactly what I expected. On the bright side we did manage to almost pull out a win against one of the best teams in the league, playing at full strength, while we don't have Bynum and Kobe is no where near 100% with his wrist.
This! I'm not a Lakers fan at all but even if the Lakers somehow had a mediocre season this year would it be the end of the world?
Old 12-25-11, 09:11 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 42,739
Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Old 12-25-11, 09:38 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,919
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Question for Lakers fans: I only see Kobe on National TV (which is alot), but it seemed to me that he lost a step? I know there was a short camp/preseason so it may take time for these guys to get up to speed, it just seemed to me Kobe looked awfully slow when he was taking it to the hole today.

Lakers fans will know better, so I'm interested in their take.
Old 12-25-11, 11:21 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,344
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Question for Lakers fans: I only see Kobe on National TV (which is alot), but it seemed to me that he lost a step? I know there was a short camp/preseason so it may take time for these guys to get up to speed, it just seemed to me Kobe looked awfully slow when he was taking it to the hole today.

Lakers fans will know better, so I'm interested in their take.
I'd say he's lost a few steps over the last couple years. Partly knee and ankle injuries, partly age, and partly mileage.
Old 12-25-11, 11:23 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 58,042
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Definitely age and all the nagging injuries.
Old 12-25-11, 11:40 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,869
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Kobe has already played a ton of NBA seasons despite being somewhat young still. I think this is like his 14th or 15th season if I'm not mistaken.
Old 12-25-11, 11:47 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 58,042
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

This is Kobe's 16th NBA season. Not many players reach 10 years let alone 16.
Old 12-25-11, 11:51 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,869
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
This is Kobe's 16th NBA season. Not many players reach 10 years let alone 16.
More than I thought. He is definitely in the twilight of his career.
Old 12-25-11, 11:54 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 58,042
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Not sure if he will, but it's definitely feasible for Kobe to play at least 4 more years until he's 37 and wrap up a 20 year career.
Old 12-26-11, 05:17 AM
  #36  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Let's GO HEAT! Miami wins over Dallas! on of best Christmas gift LOL
Old 12-26-11, 08:43 AM
  #37  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CALI!
Posts: 6,972
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I'm not bitching. Jesus, you guys just don't get it.

Good to see you, Cow. Always nice to see your cute little broken record, and/or "same old story" pictures you post. You and fumanstan should team up, and berate me together.

Whoops, you already do.

Let me explain again, and I'll try and type clearly so you can understand....

I....am....not.....mad....about....the...loss.

I do not hate the Lakers. They do not suck. The same old typical comment was in reference to me seeing this kind of loss before.

I will not come in here and say they rule if they win ten straight. I will not say they suck if they lose ten straight.

Let's be honest here. If I'd have come in and said "ohh tough loss, oh well get them next time" I would have seen people like fumanstan and his partner in crime Cow saying stuff like "what happened to you saying you don't care about the Lakers this year?"

Why do I always have to justify myself to you guys? I'm certainly not feeling too welcome here, and I've been a member for what almost ten years now?

So please keep your ridiculous comments and pictures regarding my posts to yourself.

Jesus, the only person that hasn't come in here and opened his trap is Arpeggi. At this point I'd welcome xage.
10 years of painfully negative posts and counting.
I think the reason most Lakers disagree with you or think your posts are ridiculous is that you're bringing a loser mentality to the table akin to someone who has followed perennially bad teams such as the Cubs or Clippers. You probably should be rooting for an underdog, it would suit your personality much better as the losses are expected, the sky is always falling down but there's a glimmer of hope that keeps you interested.
Old 12-26-11, 09:50 AM
  #38  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,337
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Kobe has already played a ton of NBA seasons despite being somewhat young still. I think this is like his 14th or 15th season if I'm not mistaken.
Not to mention TONS of playoff games as well. There's a lot of wear on that body.
Old 12-26-11, 01:58 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,344
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

So much for people being turned off by the lockout or claiming that they no longer cared about the NBA. Ratings were great.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/73...ings-christmas

The five Christmas games Sunday attracted large audiences, with the Bulls-Lakers matchup drawing the third-highest preliminary rating for a regular-season game on ABC. The 6.5 overnight rating trailed only a 7.3 for last year's highly anticipated Heat-Lakers showdown and a 7.9 for another meeting between Miami and L.A. in 2004.

Chris Paul's Clippers debut in the nightcap against the Warriors earned a 2.3 overnight, up 77 percent over last year's Portland-Golden State telecast. It was ESPN's highest-rated Christmas prime-time game.
Old 12-26-11, 02:41 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,919
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
So much for people being turned off by the lockout or claiming that they no longer cared about the NBA. Ratings were great.
My theory on lockouts/strikes is as long as you don't cancel a season, the fans wont be too mad and there wont be much of a backlash. The only times there was a backlash was when the 1994 World Series was cancelled, and the 2004-05 NHL Season was cancelled.

Most Hockey fans loved the 1994-95 48 game shortened season, as they still talk about that season today. The 1998-99 and 2011-12 NBA shortened seasons will be long forgotten because only the start of the season were interrupted, and most fans don't mind a shortened regular season.

Getting back to NBA talk, there were some great games yesterday to kick off the season
Old 12-26-11, 06:21 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,387
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Let the Washington Wizards 10-56 season begin. I predict they will go 0-33 on the road and they will still keep Flip Saunders as head coach.
Old 12-26-11, 06:22 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,387
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Ratings were good yesterday because there was no other sports on TV. Would love too see the ratings if they went up against the NFL head-to-head just one Sunday.
Old 12-26-11, 06:25 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,344
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Ratings were good yesterday because there was no other sports on TV. Would love too see the ratings if they went up against the NFL head-to-head just one Sunday.
The NBA always plays on Christmas Day without any other sports airing to compete with it, so the ratings weren't better just because there wasn't any other sports on TV. And to be fair, the evening games overlapped with Sunday night football.
Old 12-26-11, 06:31 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,671
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by Arpeggi View Post
10 years of painfully negative posts and counting.
I think the reason most Lakers disagree with you or think your posts are ridiculous is that you're bringing a loser mentality to the table akin to someone who has followed perennially bad teams such as the Cubs or Clippers. You probably should be rooting for an underdog, it would suit your personality much better as the losses are expected, the sky is always falling down but there's a glimmer of hope that keeps you interested.
Lakers 66-0!

Don't even start about bad teams. I've been an Angels fan since the mid 80's, and a Kings fan since around the same time. A 49ers fan during nearly ten years of failure. I know bad teams.

But I get it, I have to come in here no matter what happens, and say "Aw shucks, my team lost. I guess we'll get 'em next time! Go team!"

Any criticism (or non happy thoughts in general) is met with severe mocking led by fumanstan and and his wingmen.

I know you guys are just baiting me to say something stupid so I can get suspended or banned.
Old 12-26-11, 06:34 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,344
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Yes, everyone just likes to gang up on you for no reason year after year. Woe is you.
Old 12-26-11, 06:39 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,671
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Well not everyone, but I have noticed you're always right there in the mix. Why don't you just put me on ignore again so I can just get it from Cow, Jumpcutz, and Arpeggi?
Old 12-26-11, 07:03 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,344
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Let the Washington Wizards 10-56 season begin. I predict they will go 0-33 on the road and they will still keep Flip Saunders as head coach.
They're crushing the Nets right now!

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Well not everyone, but I have noticed you're always right there in the mix. Why don't you just put me on ignore again so I can just get it from Cow, Jumpcutz, and Arpeggi?
Probably because you posted minimally for a good year or so, so it wasn't worth keeping you on ignore. Plus I still see when you post, they're just hidden so its fairly worthless. It's just bizarre that you keep blaming everyone else still.
Old 12-26-11, 07:08 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,506
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Glad to see the Thunder get off to a good start against the Magic last night. Perkins looked a lot better than he did last year with better quickness and athleticism.

Interesting in seeing Rubio tonight though.
Old 12-26-11, 07:18 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,671
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
They're crushing the Nets right now!



Probably because you posted minimally for a good year or so, so it wasn't worth keeping you on ignore. Plus I still see when you post, they're just hidden so its fairly worthless. It's just bizarre that you keep blaming everyone else still.
I'm not blaming anyone. I am simply pointing out the unwanted comments you and your friends make that are directed at me.

I quoted you and said "get used to it" and that's it. I didn't say anything else. You guys were at it even before that mocking me for saying I couldn't care less about the season.

You know that old saying if you don't have something nice.....
Old 12-26-11, 07:22 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,344
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I'm not blaming anyone. I am simply pointing out the unwanted comments you and your friends make that are directed at me.

I quoted you and said "get used to it" and that's it. I didn't say anything else. You guys were at it even before that mocking me for saying I couldn't care less about the season.

You know that old saying if you don't have something nice.....
It's fine, I don't want to keep going back and forth with you about this for another year.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.