2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Old 01-15-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: 2011-12 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
1-4 on the road. They need some road wins badly.

9-5 to start this season isn't too bad.

Paul torched the Lakers tonight.

and we're stuck with Fish's amazing 7 points and 4 assists.
I still say the whole Staples being a road game is BS. Okay, they wear their away uniforms. The Clippers PA announcer is there. The logo says Clippers.

Everything else is the same.

But yeah, what's up with the road losses anyway?

9-5 is a great start. The Clippers are what 6-4 now? Let them make the playoffs and win a game and/or series before we start massaging their balls.
Old 01-15-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is it that the Lakers have played FOUR more games than the Clippers???
Old 01-15-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chess View Post
How is it that the Lakers have played FIVE more games than the Clippers???
They are one of two teams that have played almost every other day I believe. Which makes their start even more impressive, IMO.
Old 01-15-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chess View Post
How is it that the Lakers have played FOUR more games than the Clippers???
The scheduling is all sorts of screwy because of the shortened schedule. During the broadcast it was mentioned that the Clippers have already gotten five instances where they had two days off between games. The Lakers haven't gotten any (and have already had two back to back series, not to mention the back to back to back to kick off the season).

Bad luck I guess, especially for games like tonight which was the Lakers fourth game in five days. And especially since the Lakers have a new coach, new system, and new players whereas the Clippers get the extra time for practices with their new guys.

As for Laker road losses...

@Sacramento, second game of a back to back on the road following a home game, without Bynum
@Denver, second game of a back to back on the road, following playing Denver at home the day before.
@Portland.... well shit, the Lakers just always suck in Portland.
@Utah... win. Also second game of a back to back following a home game, but a close one in OT.
@Clippers... second game of a back to back as mentioned earlier.

Not really an excuse, but somewhat of a trend so far.
Old 01-15-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess the Lakers' reward for playing so many games early is most have been at home.

They're off today, then home to Dallas on Monday. Then are finally off for 2 days, and then have back to backs at Miami and Orlando.
Old 01-15-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice reward
Old 01-15-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 01-15-12, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^Jermaine O'Suckerpunch!
Old 01-15-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find it hard for anyone to claim that they are a fan of a sports team if they have not watched any of their games in a season. I'm a Knicks fan and I have watched shitty streams online of almost every game they have played despite the team being mediocre at best. And during the baseball season I watch around 120-130 of the Cardinals regular season games. I know that it might sound silly to say that I watch so many of those games but what irks me are the fans that wave their flags around and celebrate when they win but yet can't even be vested enough to watch. End of rant.
Old 01-15-12, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
I find it hard for anyone to claim that they are a fan of a sports team if they have not watched any of their games in a season. I'm a Knicks fan and I have watched shitty streams online of almost every game they have played despite the team being mediocre at best. And during the baseball season I watch around 120-130 of the Cardinals regular season games. I know that it might sound silly to say that I watch so many of those games but what irks me are the fans that wave their flags around and celebrate when they win but yet can't even be vested enough to watch. End of rant.
I'd say those people aren't really fans as well.
Old 01-15-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
You should be allowed to punch Vince Carter.
Old 01-15-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

No time to watch games, plus some of my teams aren't local. And if I don't have time to watch, I can't justify the expense of paying for a package
Old 01-15-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
No time to watch games, plus some of my teams aren't local. And if I don't have time to watch, I can't justify the expense of paying for a package
0 time? Not even the national games on ESPN or TNT? I get your in Seattle and the Sonics are gone, but is watching a 2 1/2 hour game 1-2 times a week really a burden?
Old 01-15-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I've been a hardcore Lakers fan since the 1988-89 season. I admit I don't watch as many games as I did when I was in High School or College, but I will make an attempt to watch a big matchup either from the local broadcast or the national games. But, I don't consider someone who doesn't watch the games and reads a box score or a game recap and acts like they know what their talking about to be a real fan...probably more of a casual fan.
Old 01-15-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
NONE of my teams are local. The closest one is the Cardinals at about 7 hours from my house. We went there over the summer as we normally do and watched them play the Reds. The Gators are my favorite college team in all sports and have been since I was about 15 and I flew down to Gainesville for the season opener. Now, as far as the Knicks and the Raiders go I'm relegated to watching crappy streams of them except for the few times that they are on broadcast tv. I'm not saying that you specifically are not a fan but it is kind of pointless to even be a fan of sports if you never get to watch. It's like people that say they are fans of LOST or any other show but never know what the hell was actually going on when you want to talk with them about it because they hardly watch.
Old 01-15-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Oh, I haven't watched a game all season, but nice attempt to get me all riled up. I check the score online.

They lost, big deal. They've been alot better so far than I thought they'd be. They still need someone to defend the opposing teams PG, but the sky is blue and water is wet, so....

On another note, is it true that the Clippers announcers were ripping the Laker players?
Try watching a game and see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-16-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

Lamar returns to Staples to play against the Lakers tonight.

Wonder if the reception will be positive or negative. He was a very popular Laker player who left badly, so either one wouldn't surprise me.
Old 01-16-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

C'mon. Stomp your feet.

Old 01-16-12, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Lamar returns to Staples to play against the Lakers tonight.

Wonder if the reception will be positive or negative. He was a very popular Laker player who left badly, so either one wouldn't surprise me.
He didn't leave badly with the fans so I'm sure he'll get a pretty warm welcome.
Old 01-16-12, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I know this is the 'Lakers Thread' but watch out for my 10-3 76ers
Old 01-16-12, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I know this is the 'Lakers Thread' but watch out for my 10-3 76ers
Makes me miss the individual Laker threads we used to have.
Old 01-16-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Makes me miss the individual Laker threads we used to have.
I'm not ripping on Lakers fans, cause I think its cool that theres alot of you here to talk about your team. I was just suprised to go through this thread and there just isn't any other people here posting except Lakers fans. There is a few Heat fans, 1 Timberwolves fan off the top of my head but thats it.

Maybe this is an ESPN NBA Thread in they only talk about certain teams like the Lakers and Heat

Oh well, Doug Collins has made the 76ers relevant again in Philly, so this season has already been a success. I've stuck by this team since Larry Brown left (most of my friends stopped watching the 76ers years ago), and its been either crappy or mediocre, and to see a winning team on the court is such a great feeling
Old 01-16-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not ripping on Lakers fans, cause I think its cool that theres alot of you here to talk about your team. I was just suprised to go through this thread and there just isn't any other people here posting except Lakers fans. There is a few Heat fans, 1 Timberwolves fan off the top of my head but thats it.

Maybe this is an ESPN NBA Thread in they only talk about certain teams like the Lakers and Heat

Oh well, Doug Collins has made the 76ers relevant again in Philly, so this season has already been a success. I've stuck by this team since Larry Brown left (most of my friends stopped watching the 76ers years ago), and its been either crappy or mediocre, and to see a winning team on the court is such a great feeling
I'm impressed because I never thought of Doug Collins as a particulalry good coach (or broadcaster)
Old 01-16-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm impressed because I never thought of Doug Collins as a particulalry good coach (or broadcaster)
He played for the 76ers in the 70's, and is beloved here by the fans. I was skeptical when they hired him, because I didn't think he would stick around in the long-run, but he preaches team defense and limit your turnovers, and has figured out a great rotation as their first 3 guys off the bench are just as good as the staters. All of these guys all bought into their role (25 minutes a game for most of the team), so they have an edge on those back to back games against older teams like the Celtics.

You won't hear much about the 76ers on ESPN because we don't have that superstar, so they are not a sexy team. We'll see how good they really are when Feb rolls around as they play the Lakers, OKC, Bulls, Mavs, Spurs in a 3 week span. I still don't think they're near the Bulls or Heat in the East, but if they win a round I'll be happy.
Old 01-16-12, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.