DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-08-11, 11:18 AM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Re: tOfficial Penn State/Sandusky Scandal Thread

So this is getting interesting. President Spanier canceled the press conference and the weekly Big 10 teleconference. Paterno says he is disappointed Spanier canceled it and that he wanted to address the situation.

Paterno vs Spanier now.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 11-08-11, 11:26 AM   #77

ESPN Radio is quoting the New York Times that Paterno will be out in a few days.
Old 11-08-11, 11:32 AM   #78
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
So this is getting interesting. President Spanier canceled the press conference and the weekly Big 10 teleconference. Paterno says he is disappointed Spanier canceled it and that he wanted to address the situation.

Paterno vs Spanier now.
I'm guessing the lawyers are running the show up there right now. Spanier is just whatever they tell him at this point.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 11-08-11, 11:38 AM   #79
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Report on twitter takes the NYT story a bit further. It says the BOT voted Paterno out and asked him to resign, but he refused.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Old 11-08-11, 11:46 AM   #80

Sad story and day. First, what a horrible situation for the children. My thoughts and wishes go out to them; I hope they can somehow find a way to deal with what has been done to them.

And what a terrible way for Paterno to go out. Though go he must.

Sad.
Old 11-08-11, 11:55 AM   #81
DVD Talk God

Amazing how things can change in a matter of days. I'm certainly no Penn State fan, but I generally respected JoePa (although I thought he was clearly over the hill when it came to the job for the last decade) and his program. Like Pharoh says - a terrible way to go, but go he must.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 11-08-11, 12:12 PM   #82
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Supposedly Paterno's son, Scott, is working on setting up a place off campus for Paterno to speak.

Old 11-08-11, 12:36 PM   #83
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Supposedly Paterno's son, Scott, is working on setting up a place off campus for Paterno to speak.
locker room shower?
Old 11-08-11, 01:47 PM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue View Post
ESPN Radio is quoting the New York Times that Paterno will be out in a few days.
NYT is only putting out a vague report that plans are underway for Paterno's exit. I don't think there is any way Paterno is fired much less before the end of the current season.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 11-08-11, 03:09 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The next morning, a Saturday, the graduate assistant telephoned Paterno and went to Paterno's home, where he reported what he had seen.
Quote:
Joseph V. Paterno testified to receiving the graduate assistant's report at his home on a Saturday morning. Paterno testified that the graduate assistant was very upset. Paterno called Tim Curley, Penn State's athletic director and Paterno's immediate superior, to his home the very next day, a Sunday, and reported to him that the graduate assistant had seen Jerry Sandusky in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy.
I find the nuanced reporting that JoePa "immediately" reported what he had heard from McQueary interesting. Even the grand jury report gives a connatation of immediacy ("the very next day"!). I'm not sure hearing something that awful on Saturday morning and then waiting until Sunday to report it really qualifies as "immediate".
Old 11-08-11, 03:37 PM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Paterno vs Spanier now.
Makes perfect sense. I have no doubt that JoePa wanted to address the reports, and I have no doubt that the attorneys said "no fucking way are you having a press conference right now".

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 11-08-11, 04:21 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

I just walked by someone wearing a Penn State sweatshirt. Misguided allegiance or supreme cluelessness?
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 11-08-11, 04:22 PM   #88
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I find the nuanced reporting that JoePa "immediately" reported what he had heard from McQueary interesting. Even the grand jury report gives a connatation of immediacy ("the very next day"!). I'm not sure hearing something that awful on Saturday morning and then waiting until Sunday to report it really qualifies as "immediate".
If you care about the "immediate" why look past McQueary? He's the only one that had a chance at "immediate." On the other side of the scale, iirc the last reported attack of a minor was 2008 years and years after both 1998 and 2002 instances where this should have ended. That is so hard to even comprehend.
Old 11-08-11, 04:27 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Makes perfect sense. I have no doubt that JoePa wanted to address the reports, and I have no doubt that the attorneys said "no fucking way are you having a press conference right now".
A power struggle may be in progress between Spanier and Paterno. However, none of it will matter as they are both toast. Penn State's board will be under the gun and none of them will want to be tainted by this scandal (more than they already are). So both will be thrown under the bus.
Old 11-08-11, 04:28 PM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
Maybe Curley was out of town. Or maybe Paterno wanted to contact his lawyer first. Gotta watch out for #1 above all, you know.

I'm *almost* willing to give McQueary a pass, except for the fact that he, a) didn't beat the shit out of Sandusky when he witnessed this, and b) he didn't pursue it when he saw that no one else did. And he got his reward for being a good little soldier by getting a job with the team.

There are no winners or innocent people in this mess at all.
Old 11-08-11, 04:28 PM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
A power struggle may be in progress between Spanier and Paterno. However, none of it will matter as they are both toast. Penn State's board will be under the gun and none of them will want to be tainted by this scandal (more than they already are). So both will be thrown under the bus.
I doubt that JoePa will be thrown under the bus. I suspect that they will let him step down gracefully at the end of the season. If he refuses, then he will be tossed.

Spanier, however, is toast, because the public doesn't know about him or care about him.

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 11-08-11, 04:30 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I just walked by someone wearing a Penn State sweatshirt. Misguided allegiance or supreme cluelessness?
I didn't realize it was now improper to wear a Penn State sweatshirt. Am I supremely clueless?

Old 11-08-11, 04:40 PM   #93
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I didn't realize it was now improper to wear a Penn State sweatshirt. Am I supremely clueless?
Not improper, but it gives the appearance of support
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 11-08-11, 04:59 PM   #94
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Not improper, but it gives the appearance of support
Support for what? The appearance of support for child molestation? Or support for the university as a whole? As a Penn State fan myself, I don't see it as misguided allegiance nor do I see it as supreme cluelessness. I see it as either showing support for the University (ie, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater) or showing support for a comfy sweatshirt.

Old 11-08-11, 05:01 PM   #95
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Support for what? The appearance of support for child molestation? Or support for the university as a whole? As a Penn State fan myself, I don't see it as misguided allegiance nor do I see it as supreme cluelessness. I see it as either showing support for the University (ie, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater) or showing support for a comfy sweatshirt.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I myself wouldn't wear one right now, though.
Old 11-08-11, 05:32 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
What about the current team? A lot of people in the regional press are writing that people are planning to boycott the game Saturday. Doesn't seem quite fair to probably the only group who are completely innocent in this whole mess.

I saw the same sort of mess here at WVU when they falsified an MBA degree for governor (now senator) Manchin's daughter. The administration tried to brush it aside, a lot of people made noise, several faculty resigned, and eventually a bunch of administrators including the college president had to step down. An interim was brought in to clean house, and the institution came out of it stronger than before all this started. But it was a long and messy process. It'll be a lot worse for PSU, because Paterno is such an icon up there, and all WVU had to do was throw a political hack overboard.
Old 11-08-11, 05:36 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Maybe they were homeless.
Old 11-08-11, 05:44 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
What about the current team? A lot of people in the regional press are writing that people are planning to boycott the game Saturday. Doesn't seem quite fair to probably the only group who are completely innocent in this whole mess.
I completely agree. It's Senior Day on Saturday and a bunch of completely innocent kids aren't going to be having the moment they deserve. Some clown called into a talk radio show saying that Paterno was "as bad as Sandusky" in this matter. Please. Another wanted for Penn State to sit out their bowl game (they are bowl eligible) in some dumb ass way of showing remorse for the "victims." I guess those victims don't include the student athletes. At least the radio host suggested that that was dumb and that going to the bowl game and giving every last dime to sexual abuse causes and the like would be a lot more useful then a bunch of players missing their bowl game for something they didn't do.
Old 11-08-11, 05:44 PM   #99
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who knows how many victims there could be.

Quote:
Fox 29 has learned the number of child-abuse in the Penn State sex-abuse scandal involving ex-coach Jerry Sandusky has more than doubled in the past day, and is closer to 20 victims.
Link
Old 11-08-11, 07:47 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Now what's with this Maryland nonsense? When was the last time we even played Maryland? Perhaps you are out of touch not being in Pennsylvania and away from the story.
I think he had you confused with me. And the last time MD played Penn State was fall of '93, in which MD was shellacked 70-7. My first MD football game freshman year. Awesome!

That said, MD football shits the bed with regularity, so I don't hold any particular animosity to Penn State. I do, however, hold animosity towards child abusers and those that harbor them.