MLB 2011, 107th World Series Edition - Cardinals vs Rangers

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB 2011, 107th World Series Edition - Cardinals vs Rangers

Old 10-28-11, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: MLB 2011, 107th World Series Edition - Cardinals vs Rangers

Originally Posted by colour View Post
I believe I heard TV coverage begins at 3:30 Sunday afternoon.
Awesome! We just might have to head over there.
Old 10-28-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats to the Cardinals.

I do think, though, that the Rangers really need to seriously look at upgrading their relief pitching (both setup men and closers). The failure of pitchers after the starters did in the Rangers in both the 2010 and 2011 World Series.
Old 10-28-11, 11:57 PM
Banned

Congratulations to the Cardinals and their fans!

I feel horrible for the Rangers and their fans, they are going to remember Game 6 for a very long long time, this is much worse than last year's loss to the Giants

As great as this World Series is, it still does not compare to the 1991 World Series, probably the best World Series in history

Here is to another Game 7 World Series next year!
Old 10-29-11, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What an amazing, improbable, unbelievable series for the Cardinals. So many things happened this year that seemed like they had no chance of even making it to the series: Wainwright hurting his elbow in spring training, Ryan Franklin as closer, injuries to it seemed like everyone, the Rasmus trade, etc.

As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I just feel thankful to have been able to see these players and experience baseball history. This playoff run is the stuff of legend. For me, this surpasses the win in 2006. Any time your team is able to win the World Series its special, but the circumstances of this season just make this so much more.
Old 10-29-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 186 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer View Post
Angels have 20+ mil tied up into Vernon for the next 3 years. What makes you think they're gonna sign Pujols?
Did you not see what else I wrote?

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Nickdawgy, prepare for a repeat from Moreno: "We didn't get it done," Moreno said. "I didn't judge the market properly, I guess."
Oh yeah, I know. I have heard Fielder is coming, too. But it'll all be okay when we sign someone like Coco Crisp, and have him platoon in the OF with Trout, Hunter, Abreu, Wells, and Borjous.
Old 10-29-11, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Cards!
Old 10-29-11, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 406 Posts

Mariners beat writer tweeted that Ms third basemen had 39 RBI in 162 games and Freese had 21 in 18 postseason games
Old 10-29-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats Cards!
Old 10-29-11, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 107 Likes on 92 Posts

Holy Hell - I still can't believe it.

I woke up w/ a smile on my face.

It is a great day in America.

The parade is tomorrow at four, w/ a late start due to the shit football team's game.
Old 10-29-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one is gonna take a long time to recover from. I still couldn't sleep last night because every time I close my eyes I just see this. I feel like I've done something wrong and am being punished. It feels like a close friend has died. I watched game 7 at a party with a bunch of new "fans" who don't really understand the game. I sat in a corner and tried not to cry in front of a bunch of people I hardly know. I'm back to wondering if I'll die before Texas wins a WS. I hate that I care so much.

Maybe St. Louis deserved this, maybe they really were the better team... but we had it. Twice.
Old 10-29-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 175 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
This one is gonna take a long time to recover from. I still couldn't sleep last night because every time I close my eyes I just see this. I feel like I've done something wrong and am being punished. It feels like a close friend has died. I watched game 7 at a party with a bunch of new "fans" who don't really understand the game. I sat in a corner and tried not to cry in front of a bunch of people I hardly know. I'm back to wondering if I'll die before Texas wins a WS. I hate that I care so much.

Maybe St. Louis deserved this, maybe they really were the better team... but we had it. Twice.
They will win a title. It may not be next year or even the next few as sports don't always work out that way but they will win. Before this the Cardinals had to endure game 6 and 7 losses on the road in the World Series twice in three years in '85 and '87. Then they make it back in '04 to get whipped by the red hot Red Sox. Just hang in there and know that the Rangers have left their mark on Major League Baseball.
Old 10-29-11, 02:51 PM

I know how you feel but that comes with being a sports fan, especially with the way TX lost game 6. STL. deserved to win, game 7 felt like a totally different game than the rest of the series. It was as if TX never recovered from game 6 or STL was just a better team and refused to be beaten.

I'm a diehard Rams fan so I've been suffering for some time.
Old 10-29-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
They will win a title. It may not be next year or even the next few as sports don't always work out that way but they will win. Before this the Cardinals had to endure game 6 and 7 losses on the road in the World Series twice in three years in '85 and '87. Then they make it back in '04 to get whipped by the red hot Red Sox. Just hang in there and know that the Rangers have left their mark on Major League Baseball.
I realize that eventually they will win (contraction and the heat death of the universe notwithstanding) but I'm skeptical at the moment it'll happen anytime soon. I realize my current pessimism is mostly proximity based, but after watching this team for the past 28 seasons and only seeing them in the playoffs 5 times you can understand where I'm coming from. Actuarial tables say I've only got another 35 seasons left in me. My dad was a fan since '72 and he never even got to see them win a playoffs series. I suppose that's why this hurts so bad, since he's where I get my love of baseball from and he would've enjoyed the hell out of this time.

Enough of me being a sad sack though. The immediate future is bright for the Rangers. We've got a relatively easy path to the post season, although Anaheim is always a tough opponent. The farm system is still stocked, we're gonna make a run at some free agents and scouts have said that Yu Darvish might be the best pitcher on the planet. By April I'll be in full blown optimism mode again. I'm gonna lick my wounds and huddle around the hot stove for now.

Congrats to you, B.A. and all the other Cards fans that came out for the World Series thread; your Cards were sure an impressive team.
Old 10-29-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 406 Posts

Been a Cubs fan for a long time. 1984 was a crusher. 2003 hurt but didn't devastate me, making me wonder if I had started to not care as much as a defense mechanism. But I don't want to stop caring. Otherwise if/when the Cubs finally win, it won't be as exhilarating and cathartic as it should be.
Old 10-29-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

after our comeback we were just destined to go all the way

Texas has a great team, don't doubt they will be back in the WS next year
Old 10-29-11, 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
The National League prevails again.

Tip of the hat to the Cardinals. Phillies ousted two years in a row by the eventual champs. Nice run by the Cardinals!
Maybe next a even worst record for a team may win when they add more WILD CARD teams.
Old 10-29-11, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

Received 314 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Maybe next a even worst record for a team may win when they add more WILD CARD teams.
As long as it's a good series, I'm in!
Old 10-29-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 131 Posts

Enough of me being a sad sack though. The immediate future is bright for the Rangers. We've got a relatively easy path to the post season, although Anaheim is always a tough opponent. The farm system is still stocked, we're gonna make a run at some free agents and scouts have said that Yu Darvish might be the best pitcher on the planet. By April I'll be in full blown optimism mode again. I'm gonna lick my wounds and huddle around the hot stove for now.
Admire your attitude, Mordred, especially on the heels of an extremely tough end to the season.

The Rangers were a great team in 2011 and there's certainly reason to expect more of the same going forward.
Old 10-30-11, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 107 Likes on 92 Posts

I realize that eventually they will win (contraction and the heat death of the universe notwithstanding) but I'm skeptical at the moment it'll happen anytime soon. I realize my current pessimism is mostly proximity based, but after watching this team for the past 28 seasons and only seeing them in the playoffs 5 times you can understand where I'm coming from. Actuarial tables say I've only got another 35 seasons left in me. My dad was a fan since '72 and he never even got to see them win a playoffs series. I suppose that's why this hurts so bad, since he's where I get my love of baseball from and he would've enjoyed the hell out of this time.

Congrats to you, B.A. and all the other Cards fans that came out for the World Series thread; your Cards were sure an impressive team.
Your team has been to the last two World Series, and they will eventually achieve their goal. Nolan has the franchise on the right path. Your time will come - and soon.
Old 10-30-11, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats to the Cardinals and all their fans on this board. An absolutely breathtaking run through the postseason.

I've just re-watched the last few innings of Game 6 again...and it's still hard to believe Texas lost. I mean it was surreal watching the Ranger players getting ready to celebrate twice when they were one strike away. It was right there. It was as close to a sure thing as you could get.

Keep your chin up Mordred.
Old 10-30-11, 03:03 AM

Feel for Rangers fans.
Old 10-31-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not even much of a baseball fan, and I'm still feeling Ranger pain days later. Just unbelievable to come within one out and totally blow it in game 7. I can remember when Nolan Ryan was the only thing exciting about the team.
Old 10-31-11, 04:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
Congrats to the Cardinals and all their fans on this board. An absolutely breathtaking run through the postseason.

I've just re-watched the last few innings of Game 6 again...and it's still hard to believe Texas lost. I mean it was surreal watching the Ranger players getting ready to celebrate twice when they were one strike away. It was right there. It was as close to a sure thing as you could get.

Keep your chin up Mordred.
Lucky Cruz in RF and Feliz are minorities or they may have been given the Buckner treatment by the media.
Old 10-31-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who is lucky?