Reload this Page >

MLB 2011 Playoffs, Divisional Series Edition

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB 2011 Playoffs, Divisional Series Edition

Old 10-05-11, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: MLB 2011 Playoffs, Divisional Series Edition

Devolved. Yeah, OK. Fan apathy, perhaps.

That's really the bottom line for now. But will that be true when he's 35 and the Phils are still paying him $20million?
He's 32 now. If he's hitting 30 HR and 100+ RBI for three more years, why would the philosophy change? You can't argue with his production and that's the bottom line.
Old 10-05-11, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Fan apathy, perhaps.
What apathy? Maybe you missed my post or you need me to reiterate it with more links:

Tuesday's game was sold out by September 29th.

The tickets available on gameday were not the result of "fan apathy." It was the result of additional tickets being released on gameday for a 4pm start. And those tickets were gobbled up by gametime. Your condescending amusement is unfounded.
Old 10-05-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
And I'm sure the Philadelphia area has more than 1.5 million. Either way, who cares? The game(s) in the Philly/St. Louis have all sold out. I'm not sure I've heard anyone concerned (I guess with one exception) with how quickly a game sold out and how that somehow casts a negative light on a city or baseball fans in that city.
I was simply pointing out that your post where you implied that the Cards only have a population of 319k to sell tickets to was disingenuous considering the facts of the population data.
Old 10-05-11, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deadlax View Post
I'm not too concerned about Ryan Howard's splits. He tends to come through in big spots against lefties almost as often as righties.
Does he? Is there some way you can demonstrate that?

I don't have a horse in this race, but this seems like an unsupportable statement to me.
Old 10-05-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
Does he? Is there some way you can demonstrate that?

I don't have a horse in this race, but this seems like an unsupportable statement to me.
i don't have his rbi splits, I've just watched almost every Phillies game he's been in the lineup.

you put a runner in scoring position and 2 outs and he's still the person on that team I want up to bat, right handed for sure. left handed I might rather have utley or victorino, but only if it's a tied or one run game.

he's slow. he has limited (improved) range at first. but he's a good hitter that tends to step up when the game is on the line. it doesn't happen every game, but over the course of his 1,000 regular season and playoff games, you tend to notice these things.
Old 10-05-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 171 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Not happy with Austin Jackson yet? I still think he'll be fine. He just needs to learn how to cut down on those strike outs. Plus he's a better fielder than Grandy, despite Granderson's ridiculous game yesterday.
I'm on the fence with him. Austin has made some UNBELIEVABLE grabs in center this year... but he's struggled for weeks at a time with his bat and he's not a leadoff hitter - yet.

And guys, are you really ripping on the body of Valverde?? Sure, he's built like a moon-shine running hillbilly but you've seen CC, right? His neck might be double the circumference of his thigh.
Old 10-05-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
What apathy? Maybe you missed my post or you need me to reiterate it with more links:

The tickets available on gameday were not the result of "fan apathy." It was the result of additional tickets being released on gameday for a 4pm start. And those tickets were gobbled up by gametime. Your condescending amusement is unfounded.
facts? who needs facts?
Old 10-05-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not to belabor the point but I can get tickets to tonights game for $25 on Stubhub of all places. In a seat, no less.

And so you don't think I'm trying to hurt your feelings, Arizona tickets are $16 and didn't sell out tonights' game.
Diamondbacks tickets still available for Game 4 vs. Brewers

Last edited by CRM114; 10-05-11 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 View Post
And I'm sure the Philadelphia area has more than 1.5 million. Either way, who cares? The game(s) in the Philly/St. Louis have all sold out. I'm not sure I've heard anyone concerned (I guess with one exception) with how quickly a game sold out and how that somehow casts a negative light on a city or baseball fans in that city.
The difference between the Phillies franchise and the Cardinals' is that the fans now show up in droves enjoying the Phillies success where in the 80s success was scarce for them and the crowds were sparse at best. We'll see in a few years if the Phillies maintain their high attendance when the team evolves from what it is now to something different. Success doesn't carry on forever and we will see what comes with those ups and downs in the future.. This is where I give the Cubs and their fans credit as they show up game after game despite not having won the series in over a hundred years.
Old 10-05-11, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to belabor the point but I can get tickets to tonights game for $25 on Stubhub of all places. In a seat, no less.
The fact that there are tickets available from third-party sellers is tangential to your original point, which was that the game was close to not "selling out." Tickets from third-party sellers are already "sold" from the box office. If third-party tickets being available is a source for amusement, then we can all be amused at just about every team's fanbase.
Old 10-05-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe my original post included both points - that the game was not sold out and that tickets were available for $19. Third party tickets are available for any game - just not twenty bucks for a playoff game.

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
The difference between the Phillies franchise and the Cardinals' is that the fans now show up in droves enjoying the Phillies success where in the 80s success was scarce for them and the crowds were sparse at best. We'll see in a few years if the Phillies maintain their high attendance when the team evolves from what it is now to something different. Success doesn't carry on forever and we will see what comes with those ups and downs in the future.. This is where I give the Cubs and their fans credit as they show up game after game despite not having won the series in over a hundred years.
Valid point. I'd be interested to see the attendance numbers from the dark years of the worst franchise in major league sports. I do recall going to the 1993 World Series in Veterans Stadium and it being sold out. Not a small 45K seat park but 65,000 fans. If there is a reason to come, they will come - like the playoffs. A quick look reveals that the Phils numbers never were as low as the lowest Cardinals numbers.
Old 10-05-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

With a few exceptions like the Cubs, most cities won't be selling out th stadium if the team stinks.

Did I read correctly that the Diamndbacks did not sell out yesterday?
Old 10-05-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe my original post included both points - that the game was not sold out and that tickets were available for $19. Third party tickets are available for any game - just not twenty bucks for a playoff game.
The game was sold out days before. Can you swallow your pride and actually admit that you were wrong on that point?

If you're amused by the fact that $20 tickets are available around game time from a third-party seller, then by all means enjoy the laughs. Given all the factors that go into third-party prices (demand, desperation of the seller, original face value, adjusted cost of living, etc), I don't believe much substance can be derived from that. For someone who subscribes so adamantly to rational thought, it seems a bit disingenuous to ignore all the relevant factors. But hey, whatever gives you a chuckle.
Old 10-05-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only fanbase that should really be laughed at is the Marlins' fanbase. They are about as pathetic as they come despite having the most success for a National League team in the World Series from the 90's on. However, this is to be expected as most of them are likely the same fans of the Hurricanes, that have more visiting fans that show up than fans of the "U", and the Heat, who actually had to take out an ad begging for support and people to show up to their homes games..
Old 10-05-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tampa Bay should also be embarrassed that they only had two sellouts the entire year: Opening Day and game 3 of the ALDS. This was a team that's had a LOT of success recently, and they can't even sell out a playoff game.
Old 10-05-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The game was sold out days before. Can you swallow your pride and actually admit that you were wrong on that point?

If you're amused by the fact that $20 tickets are available around game time from a third-party seller, then by all means enjoy the laughs. Given all the factors that go into third-party prices (demand, desperation of the seller, original face value, adjusted cost of living, etc), I don't believe much substance can be derived from that. For someone who subscribes so adamantly to rational thought, it seems a bit disingenuous to ignore all the relevant factors. But hey, whatever gives you a chuckle.
All I did was relay what was being broadcast on the news. You seem the only one that pride is an issue. For the record, the cheapest ticket I can get to Game 5 on Stubhub - which may or not even happen - is $92.
Old 10-05-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
With a few exceptions like the Cubs, most cities won't be selling out th stadium if the team stinks.

Did I read correctly that the Diamndbacks did not sell out yesterday?
it was a sell out.
Old 10-05-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

enough of the fucking attendance bullshit, please. let's talk about baseball. like this gem.

still second to this one, though.

Old 10-05-11, 03:44 PM

I've used Stubhub quite often to buy Cardinals tickets, and the prices I am seeing right now are typical for a popular game. The crappy seats are $19, the good seats are $80-$120 and the great seats are $150-$300.

Maybe if the Cards make it to the NLCS and/or WS the prices will start skyrocketing.
Old 10-05-11, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Tampa Bay should also be embarrassed that they only had two sellouts the entire year: Opening Day and game 3 of the ALDS. This was a team that's had a LOT of success recently, and they can't even sell out a playoff game.
MLB should be embarrassed for making a horrible judgement call on putting a team there. Have the people in Tampa/St. Petes ever shown that they wanted a team?
Old 10-05-11, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by deadlax View Post
i don't have his rbi splits, I've just watched almost every Phillies game he's been in the lineup.
Okay, that may convince you, but it's not a particularly persuasive argument to anybody else.
Old 10-05-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
Okay, that may convince you, but it's not a particularly persuasive argument to anybody else.
Yeah, because we shouldn't actually be WATCHING the players we are judging. You can run his RBI splits if you want to be convinced otherwise. I don't have a couple hours to comb through the last 3-4 years of box scores.
Old 10-05-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Howard has always been poor against lefties, if anything he has gotten worse. To say he comes through against lefties just as much as righties is just not true and is something you should notice after watching a 1,000 of his games.
Old 10-05-11, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Howard has always been poor against lefties, if anything he has gotten worse. To say he comes through against lefties just as much as righties is just not true and is something you should notice after watching a 1,000 of his games.
No one has said he is as good against lefties as he is against righties.
Old 10-05-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome inning for the Cardinals so far! Now what in the hell is that strange buzzing noise you can hear every few seconds from the broadcast? It is annoying as hell.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.