Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Former Oriole Mike Flanagan found dead...Reportedly suicide.

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-24-11, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.wbaltv.com/sports/28967968/detail.html

A Major League Baseball champion and award-winning former Baltimore Orioles great was found dead Wednesday.
Former Orioles pitcher and general manager Mike Flanagan was found dead on his northern Baltimore County property, WBAL-TV 11 Sports Director Gerry Sandusky confirmed through multiple sources close to Flanagan. He was 59.
Flanagan's body was found outside his house in the 15000 block of York Road in Monkton shortly before 4:30 p.m. Wednesday. WBAL-TV 11 News reporter Sheldon Dutes reported from the scene that police had blocked the driveway to the property.

Police did not immediately identify the cause of death, but sources confirmed that Flanagan took his own life "despondent over what he considered a false perception from a community he loved of his role in the team's prolonged failure," Sandusky said.

The soft-spoken and well-liked left-hander grew over the years into a fixture in the Orioles organization. From 2002-08 Flanagan shared or held the top baseball executive position in the organization. During that time Flanagan, according to those closest to him, struggled with not being able to the job the way he wanted to do it, Sandusky said.
A relative confirmed that Flanagan has wrestled for some time now with the perception of fans and colleagues alike of his role in the team's failures.

Orioles Managing Partner Peter Angelos issued the following statement at about 10:45 p.m.: "It is with deep sadness that I learned of the death of my friend Mike Flanagan earlier this evening. In over a quarter century with the organization, Flanny became an integral part of the Orioles family, for his accomplishments both on and off the field. His loss will be felt deeply and profoundly by all of us with the ballclub and by Orioles fans everywhere who admired him. On behalf of the club, I extend my condolences to his wife, Alex; and daughters Kerry, Kathryn and Kendall."
Baltimore County police and fire spokeswoman Elise Armacost told WBAL-TV 11 News that police officers discovered a man's body alongside a trail in Monkton late Wednesday afternoon. Armacost did not identify the man.
Police were called to the area for "a person with a suspicious condition." When officers arrived at the scene, they found the man's body along a trail on the property, Armacost said. Police declined to speak about the manner of death until the investigation is complete.

Flanagan won 167 games over his 18-year major league career. He won the Cy Young Award in 1979, winning 23 games and helping the Orioles win the American League pennant.
He went 12-4 for the 1983 World Series champion Orioles, and he won a game in the American League Championship Series against the Chicago White Sox. He won seven postseason games in his career.
He later spent time with the Toronto Blue Jays, where he was a member of the 1989 AL East champions that held off the "Why Not?" Orioles for the title.
Flanagan was an AL All-Star in 1978, when he won 19 games. He also recorded the Orioles' last out at Memorial Stadium in 1991 before the team moved to Camden Yards.
In 1991, he was part of a no-hitter with starter Bob Milacki, middle reliever Mark Williamson, and closer Gregg Olson. That victory occurred at Oakland.
He ended his career pitching 42 games for the 1992 Orioles. He then served two stints as Orioles pitching coach and was once the Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations
Flanagan was hired in 2010 by Mid-Atlantic Sports Network to work as a color analyst on Orioles telecasts.
Wednesday night, Jeremy Guthrie pitched for the Orioles. Flanagan, when he served as the O's baseball executive gave Guthrie his number 46 -- the same number Flanagan wore as an Oriole -- because he had such high hopes for the pitchers. Guthrie came through on that promise, picking up a win and giving the O's their first series win since June.

Read more: http://www.wbaltv.com/sports/2896796...#ixzz1W0Vt4YnI

Awful news. The part I highlighted is even sadder that he apparently killed himself because he thought the community blamed him for the Orioles sucking.
Old 08-24-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Former Oriole Mike Flanagan found dead...Reportedly suicide.

I posted in the MLB thread but reading this makes me even sadder since I didn't know the cause or reasoning. RIP Flanny.
Old 08-24-11, 10:36 PM
Banned

I blame Andy Mcfail who was the Cubs GM once for the Orioles sucking.
That's why I hate the Orioles because of Mcfail.
Old 08-24-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RIP. It's a sad, sad way to go when you just can't take people hating you over something that's ultimately pointless to 99% of the population.

Tasteless:

Spoiler:
It was really only a matter of time before someone killed themself over being associated with the Orioles.
Old 08-25-11, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Jesus. How sad. Will never forget his '79 Cy Young and that trademark delivery. My greatest memory of him is ringing up the last out for the Orioles at Memorial Stadium.

Even sadder is the reasoning -- it wasn't him. It was the asinine system and terrible ownership.
Old 08-25-11, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
I blame Andy Mcfail who was the Cubs GM once for the Orioles sucking.
That's why I hate the Orioles because of Mcfail.
The same man(Peter Angelos) has owned the team over the 13 straight losing seasons. Andy MacPhail is one reason they lose but the owner should take 80 percent of the blame,GM 10 percent and players 10 percent. They never make roster changes that will improve the team. They keep players on the roster that don't belong in the big leagues. I think the team is a cancer and has no idea how too go about winning. They dog it in the month's of August and September. Check the record books.
Getting back to Mike Flanagan,I watch all their games and he just didn't seem right this yr.
Last Sunday's loss was one of their worst ever(next to the 30-3 loss to Texas). They finally made some roster moves because the highlight reel from that game made them the laughing stock of the league.
Old 08-25-11, 08:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

not sure how any team can routinely compete in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox.
Old 08-25-11, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
not sure how any team can routinely compete in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox.
Look at what the Rays did last year. If you have talent and you spend money, you can compete. Angelos is content with losing, he flat out does not care. Once his money draw(Ripken)retired, Pete checked out.

Also never realized he lived so close to parents/where I grew up. RIP Flanny

Last edited by Me007gold; 08-25-11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's sad that sports can affect people this much driving them to suicide. You look at a guy like Bill Buckner and what he has gone through, and who knows how Scott Norwood has handled missing that FG in the 1991 Superbowl for the Bills.

I love sports, but stuff like this puts things in perspective that we all take it too seriously sometimes.
Old 08-25-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He wasn't in the front office any more and he was still taking flak? Sad. And a lot of people who would be more worthy of blame (for a number of franchises, not just the O's) just wouldn't care as much as he did.
Old 08-25-11, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm still having trouble accepting the suicide thing, especially given the reasons cited so far. Unless there was a note that stated why he did it, how in the hell can anyone speculate it was because of his perception of the community's feelings towards him?
Old 08-25-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why on earth would anyone blame this guy for the Oriole's tradition of suckitude? He's not been on this team for ages - seems like if their suckingness really was his fault he would've offed himself a while ago when his influence on the team was still at least partially tangible rather than waiting three thousand years or so.

Folks who decide to commit suicide don't really need a reason I suppose. If their brain chemistry is so screwed up to think that this is the best decision they can make then their ability to reason is pretty much out the window, eh?
Old 08-25-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Police did not immediately identify the cause of death
Balto. Co. police say a self-inflicted gun shot.
Old 08-25-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

From the Baltimore Sun:

Police confirmed Thursday that Flanagan, 59, appeared to have shot himself in the face, making identification difficult and causing official confirmation of his death to be delayed. Flanagan did not leave a note, police said.
They also said that Flanagan had financial issues as well.
Old 08-25-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Why on earth would anyone blame this guy for the Oriole's tradition of suckitude? He's not been on this team for ages - seems like if their suckingness really was his fault he would've offed himself a while ago when his influence on the team was still at least partially tangible rather than waiting three thousand years or so.
He had 2 stints as pitching coach, assistant GM for 3 years, and then GM for 3 years and has been on and off a color commentator for the team. He's been associated with this team for more then the past decade. He wasn't good in the front office but nobody has, can or will be with the Orioles.

Sad that a link to the greatness that the team used to be took the mess in is now so personally.