Roger Goodell steered Vick away from the Bills & Bengals

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-18-11, 08:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...or-the-eagles/

I can't see how this shouldn't become a HUGE story. Say what you want about avoiding the Bills/Bengals as being a good idea, but a comissioner influencing a player towards a particular team? tsk tsk
Old 08-18-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Roger Goodell steered Vick away from the Bills & Bengals

I (and a lot of other Eagles fans, apparently) have suspected this for a while now. I think it was more about avoiding the Bills/Bengals (and avoiding him becoming a starter right away) and steering him towards a more, how shall we say, "respectable" organization. If the Patriots/Colts/Steelers/Giants/etc. had been pursuing Vick as a backup instead of the Eagles, he would've been steered there.

Besides, if Vick had gone to Buffalo or Cincy, can anyone honestly say he would've become the same QB that he was in 2010?
Old 08-18-11, 09:34 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

that's not the point tho. Yes, I can see where Goodell was trying to steer Vick into a position to best succeed, ie: better run organization, not the starter right away, etc, but how is that fair at all to the owners, employees, and fans of the Bills and Bengals?
Old 08-18-11, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can see why he did it as he wanted to see Vick in a situation where he had the best chance to get his life together and stage a succesful NFL comeback. But if I was a fan of one of the other teams in the Eagles division I would be pissed.
Old 08-18-11, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
I (and a lot of other Eagles fans, apparently) have suspected this for a while now. I think it was more about avoiding the Bills/Bengals (and avoiding him becoming a starter right away) and steering him towards a more, how shall we say, "respectable" organization. If the Patriots/Colts/Steelers/Giants/etc. had been pursuing Vick as a backup instead of the Eagles, he would've been steered there.

Besides, if Vick had gone to Buffalo or Cincy, can anyone honestly say he would've become the same QB that he was in 2010?
not the point... steering him to an organization shouldnt be his job... thats not right...
Old 08-18-11, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd have to know more about what the "steering" entailed to decide if I think this is wrong or not. If it was just a situation where Vick spoke to Goodell and mentioned the offers he had, and Goodell just gave his opinion, but said he's free to do what he wants, that's not so bad. But if there were specific actions taken to facilitate it, that's a different story.
Old 08-18-11, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Goodell has no business 'steering' or telling a player where to play. Did he do the same for Plaxico Burress? I'm sure that Mr. Goodell is closer to some owners then others, so you never know if there is a conflict of interest. Do you think David Stern would ever steer a player to Mark Cubans team, no because he hates Cuban.

I am an Eagles fan (so it benefits us in the end), but this another example of why Goodell is such a bad commissioner, because he gets involved in crap he has no business being in. His job was to reinstate Vick, and thats it.
Old 08-18-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mcnabb.. exactly....
Old 08-18-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk God

There was a lot of talk of him coming to DC back then. The Redskins are no more respectable than Buffalo or Cincy when it comes to being an organization, but it's a big market, so I'm curious whether this is about 'respectability,' or markets.
Old 08-18-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
so I'm curious whether this is about 'respectability,' or markets.
That's the first thing I thought I when read the story.
Old 08-18-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He played in Atlanta. Why would the commissioner be concerned about having a felon play in a large market when no one knew whether he could still play when no one had any issue with the superstar pre-prison Vick playing in a small market?
Old 08-18-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not enough detail to make a big stink about it. In any case, Vick still had the freedom to make his own choice.
Old 08-18-11, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Not enough detail to make a big stink about it. In any case, Vick still had the freedom to make his own choice.
This. It doesn't seem like Goodell made Vick do anything, just nudged him in the direction he wanted. I find it pretty hard to believe that this is the first time a commissioner in any sport has done this.
Old 08-18-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
not the point... steering him to an organization shouldnt be his job... thats not right...
Goodell has made it clear that he considers managing players' images a part of his job since it impacts the league as a whole. Others disagree, but either way it's probably good that it doesn't just entail handing out fines and punishments for bad behavior, but also offering advice and guidance to help players succeed.

We don't know exactly what was said, but I think it's obvious that it was better for both Vick and the league for him to ease back into both football and the media spotlight rather than jump in as the leader and face of a franchise, fresh out of prison.
Old 08-18-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
We don't know exactly what was said, but I think it's obvious that it was better for both Vick and the league for him to ease back into both football and the media spotlight rather than jump in as the leader and face of a franchise, fresh out of prison.
In that sense, I suppose Philadelphia was a good place for him. On one hand, he wasn't going to come in and start immediately. But on the other hand, it wasn't a place like New England where the QB position was locked up for a while. The Eagles had drafted McNabb's replacement, so his days were numbered, and Vick could eventually compete with the unproven (still unproven, really) Kolb for the starting job.
Old 08-18-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure what the big deal about this now is. Think back to when Vick's reinstatement was being discussed. Goodell was clear about his reasoning. Vick was being allowed back into the league because of the situation the Eagles provided - stable organization, trusted veteran mentors (Reid and McNabb), no pressure to produce for the team right away. And you didn't hear any outrage then over Goodell's tampering. Many people actually mocked and/or condemned the Eagles for the signing. I don't remember anyone saying "That's not fair!" - at least in the context of Goodell's "steering". It's only with 20/20 hindsight that this is being made a story again - mostly to sell magazines.
Old 08-18-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it's probably just coincidence that Vick ended up in the NFC instead of in Goodell's favorite team's Pittsburgh's conference or division. Riiiiight....
Old 08-18-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have a problem with Goodell encouraging a player to do what he believes is best for the player, especially when he has issues such as Vick. To me it seems the commissioners of the major sports are way too biased for the owners and don't care as much about the player so it's nice to see Goodell trying to do something in Vick's best interest.
Old 08-18-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Not sure what the big deal about this now is. Think back to when Vick's reinstatement was being discussed. Goodell was clear about his reasoning. Vick was being allowed back into the league because of the situation the Eagles provided - stable organization, trusted veteran mentors (Reid and McNabb), no pressure to produce for the team right away. And you didn't hear any outrage then over Goodell's tampering. Many people actually mocked and/or condemned the Eagles for the signing. I don't remember anyone saying "That's not fair!" - at least in the context of Goodell's "steering". It's only with 20/20 hindsight that this is being made a story again - mostly to sell magazines.
Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but I don't remember hearing anything about Goodell advising him on what team to sign with back then.
Old 08-18-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Maybe I didn't pay enough attention, but I don't remember hearing anything about Goodell advising him on what team to sign with back then.
The story as I remember it ... Vick's reinstatement by Goodell was contingent on the situation Vick was going to be placed in. If not outright stated like that, it was strongly implied. So while Goodell didn't outright tell Vick to sign with the Eagles, it was likely that if Vick applied for reinstatement as the starting QB for a team like the Bengals it would've been turned down (and Vick knew that).
Old 08-18-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
The story as I remember it ... Vick's reinstatement by Goodell was contingent on the situation Vick was going to be placed in. If not outright stated like that, it was strongly implied. So while Goodell didn't outright tell Vick to sign with the Eagles, it was likely that if Vick applied for reinstatement as the starting QB for a team like the Bengals it would've been turned down (and Vick knew that).
I remember that too. At the time it wasn't a big deal and the Eagles were criticized for taking him back.
Old 08-18-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Everything I need to know I learned from DVD Talk

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9599521-post26.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4359354

NEW YORK -- Michael Vick has been conditionally reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who will then decide on the quarterback's full reinstatement for Week 6 of the regular season.

Vick can participate without delay in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games -- if he can find a team that will sign him.

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities other than games, but could play as soon as October.

Goodell called a news conference for late Monday afternoon.
Old 08-18-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to see Vick steered to another team tonight.
Old 08-18-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I would like to see Vick steered to another team tonight.
All I ask for from a pre-season game is for no one to get hurt
Old 08-18-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazing how everyone believes the word of a ex-felon animal murderer.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.