Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Two suspects arrested in SF fan beating

Old 07-23-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Two suspects arrested in SF fan beating

Men charged in Bryan Stow case

LOS ANGELES -- Exonerating one suspect, police charged two other men Friday in the beating of a San Francisco Giants fan outside Dodger Stadium, accusing them of a savage attack that included cutting the victim's tongue and disfiguring his face.

The arrests came two months after an emotional Police Chief Charlie Beck trumpeted the arrest of the initial suspect in the attack on Bryan Stow, a paramedic who suffered a brain injury and remains hospitalized in serious condition. Giovanni Ramirez, dismissed as a suspect Friday, had been arrested in May but never charged.

"In policing, it's just as important to exonerate the innocent as it is to implicate the guilty," Beck said Friday. "I want to tell the world that Giovanni Ramirez is no longer a suspect in this case." Prosecutors charged Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, both of Rialto, with one count each of mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, and battery with serious bodily injury, all felonies. Both were being held on $500,000 bail after being arrested Thursday.

The complaint alleged both men personally inflicted great bodily injury on Stow, "causing him to become comatose due to brain injury and to suffer paralysis." The mayhem count alleged that they "did cut and disable the tongue, and put out an eye and slit (Stow's) nose, ear and lip." A message left at a number for the parents of Sanchez was not returned, and contact details for Norwood's family could not be found. Dorene Sanchez, believed to be the sister of Louie Sanchez, had been arrested on suspicion of being an accessory after the fact then released. She was not charged; however, Beck said that charges were pending against the woman they'd arrested. The D.A.'s office had no comment on that assertion.

Beck did not provide details on the evidence against the two men but said more details would be released Monday.The Los Angeles Times reported Saturday that tips from the public about a pair of aggressive fans sitting in the stands on opening day led detectives to focus on Sanchez and Norwood. A law enforcement source, who requested his name not be used because of the ongoing investigation, told the newspaper that detectives noticed that several people who had been sitting in the same section of the stadium had reported seeing a pair of belligerent men seated nearby.

From interviews with the fans, detectives were able to narrow down the area and then compiled a list of possible suspects from ticket sales records. Norwood and Sanchez emerged as prime suspects. "The Los Angeles Police Department never gave up on this case," district attorney Steve Cooley said in a prepared statement. Earlier in the day, a law enforcement official with knowledge of the case who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing said police have no forensic evidence against the latest suspects but they had made incriminating statements. The attack has captured national attention as the Los Angeles Police Department and the Dodgers sought to ease fears about violence at the storied stadium.

Stow, 42, a resident of Santa Cruz and the father of two children, remained hospitalized in San Francisco. His family said in a blog post Friday that he appeared to mouth his last name and might have tried to give a thumbs-up.
On Monday, he underwent emergency surgery for fluid buildup in his head. Doctors have kept him under heavy sedation since the attack to prevent seizures. Police released no details about the latest arrests in the case until the news conference. The delay came in sharp contrast to the fanfare surrounding the arrest of Ramirez on May 22. However, the investigation faltered after Ramirez provided almost a dozen statements from friends and family members saying he was nowhere near Dodger Stadium on the night of March 31. Ramirez also volunteered for and passed a polygraph test. No charges were filed against him in the beating, but he was returned to prison for a parole violation -- having access to a firearm.

"Every single one of us were appalled by what happened to Bryan Stow," Los Angeles mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said Friday at the news conference.
The mayor also thanked the detectives who broke the case for their "expertise and professionalism," and for "(putting) their heart in this effort."
Court records show Norwood was sentenced in 2006 to three years' probation and served 118 days in jail after pleading guilty to one felony count of inflicting corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant. In 2003, Louie Sanchez pleaded guilty to one felony count of inflicting corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant, and the following year he pleaded no contest to one misdemeanor count of carrying a loaded firearm in a public place. Despite those run-ins with the law, neighbors described the men as friendly, baseball-loving fathers.

Neighbor Danyelle Dickson said Louie Sanchez and his family are quiet, friendly people, with whom she had exchanged greetings but had little other contact. She often saw Sanchez playing catch on the family's lawn with a woman and boy whom she believed to be his wife and son. "It's just a really nice family, a really quiet family," she said. Sanchez also was charged Friday with two misdemeanor counts of battery stemming from a separate incident the same day as the beating. Meanwhile, Soledad Gonzalez, the mother of Ramirez, said she was upset about the arrest of her son in May. "If you don't have any proof, why did you put the picture of him in public?" she asked at a separate news conference. "That's wrong. There's a big, big mistake that they made." She said her son would have to decide whether to sue the LAPD. "We can live with them sending us a letter of apology," said attorney Anthony Brooklier, who represents Ramirez.

Brooklier said attorneys plan to file a writ next week challenging the parole board's decision to keep Ramirez in prison for 10 months after police investigating the beating found a gun in the house where he was staying.
Information from's Ramona Shelburne and Jeff Biggs and The Associated Press was used in this report.
Hopefully these guys are the right ones; they sure sound like some winners. As for Ramirez...I'm sure he'll sue and get a large settlement.
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 07-23-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Re: Two suspects arrested in SF fan beating

It looks like there is a video that confirms they were at the game, which they first denied.

The two men arrested Thursday can apparently be seen in the stands in a home video taken at that game. The person who shot the video said detectives were investigating reports of a pair of unruly fans.

The suspects were not the intended subject of the video, but were incidentally captured in the background by a fan. At least one of the men can clearly be seen wearing a Dodgers jersey.
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 07-25-11, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Re: Two suspects arrested in SF fan beating

LOS ANGELES -- Two men charged with the severe beating of a San Francisco Giants fan at Dodger Stadium are suspected of assaulting three other Giants fans at the Opening Day game, a law enforcement official said Monday.

Detectives believe the other people were approached by suspects Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood on the west side of the stadium on March 31.

Eyewitnesses told police they saw Sanchez assault one of those unidentified men, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

Sanchez has been charged with misdemeanor assault in connection with that incident. He also is accused of misdemeanor battery on a woman at the game. The official said the woman was wearing a Giants shirt and Sanchez threw something at her.

Sanchez and Norwood were charged Friday with felony mayhem and assault charges in the beating of Bryan Stow, a paramedic from Santa Cruz who remains hospitalized with a brain injury.

Sanchez, 29, and Norwood, 30, made their first court appearance Monday. Their arraignment was continued until Aug. 10.

The Los Angeles Police Department has asked other possible victims to come forward, but made no further public statements on Monday.

The defendants were arrested Thursday in Rialto, about 55 miles east of Los Angeles. Their capture led to the exoneration of Giovanni Ramirez, a man police previously labeled as the prime suspect.

Court documents state that Norwood and Sanchez each inflicted great bodily injury on Stow, "causing him to become comatose due to brain injury and to suffer paralysis."

The case centers on incriminating statements the men have made, the official said.

Some people initially reported the men bragged about the crime to co-workers, though some are now backing off those statements, the official said.

Cell phone towers and photographs confirm that Norwood and Sanchez were at the game, the official said.

Attorney Gilbert Quinones, who represents Louie Sanchez, acknowledged his client was at the stadium with his family but insisted he did not participate in the attack on Stow.

"He doesn't fit the profile of someone who would commit this type of crime," Quinones told reporters after his client appeared in court.

Quinones said he could not comment on the possibility of his client being involved in other assaults.

Norwood's public defender, Lee Rosen, made an unsuccessful request for his client's $500,000 bail to be reduced to $100,000. He did not immediately address the media.

The attack reverberated throughout California and the nation as police and the Dodgers, whose financial woes have also brought national attention, sought to ease fears about violence at the storied stadium.

Stow, the father of two children, appeared to mouth his last name and might have tried to give a thumbs-up, according to a family blog post last week.

Sanchez is due back in court Aug. 1 for a bail hearing.

So they assaulted multiple people during the game....what scumbags.
NotThatGuy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.